Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

MoPZiG posted:

I feel like these Idiot Abroad episodes should be 3x longer. 40 minutes for Karl to breeze through China? They shouldve used that entire time on him eating toads.

You can bet that it'll come out on DVD with a huge amount of bonus material.

Which I will be pre-ordering as soon as it's available!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Currently watching Milliband of brothers on more 4.

Selma_Alabama
Sep 9, 2010
I loved An Idiot Abroad. Somehow Karl really makes me want to visit China.

Mmmm, toads.... :chef:

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Is there a Spooks thread, or is this the place for discussing it? I was pretty disappointed by this week's episode, it stretched the suspension of disbelief a little too far with the whole secret EMP bomb and ridiculous long-range torpedo thing.

Also Ros's replacement seemed pretty annoying.

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
Yes An Idiot Abroad - God that was good. Everything I ever imagined Karl TV to be like. I already want a second series :)

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

Yes An Idiot Abroad - God that was good. Everything I ever imagined Karl TV to be like. I already want a second series :)

Hes said he doesnt want to do any more. Apparently turned down dozens of ideas from Ricky and Steve already.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really don't think Karl is an act. I've genuinely met people like him, and despite that I do think he's a bit aware and plays it up slightly. If you've ever listened to the old XFM shows him, Ricky and Steve did then he's much more laid back than the podcasts and things he's done since, but he's still the same old Karl.

Plus he'd really have to be the best character actor alive to be able to keep it up for this long without a single slipup.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Idiot Abroad was the funniest loving thing ive watched on tv for ages. Thanks to my old man for having it sitting around on his SKY+ thing.

Regarding Karl, I think he is actually like that but plays it up a little, either way the man is a loving genious.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Most of all I'm just glad that Ricky Gervais's presence was limited. Despite being a pretty funny guy he has a tendency to stifle and outvoice everyone he works with which can get a little annoying.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Is there any vaguely legitimate way to get lasting copies of dramas and programs from BBC Radio. I missed the Feynman programs on Radio 4 last Saturday and I'm currently listening to and really enjoying Faust which was on Raido 3 last Sunday but runs out today.

Seems harsh that 4OD can have so many programs up for free streaming, but the BBC don't have anything like that for their own content, especially after the taxpayers have paid for it anyway. I haven't delved in Radio much before but I'm really enjoying it for the moment and don't just want to lose it all after 7 days.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Fat Turkey posted:

Seems harsh that 4OD can have so many programs up for free streaming, but the BBC don't have anything like that for their own content, especially after the taxpayers have paid for it anyway.
I don't know the entire story but I gather that this is all Murdoch's fault somehow.

e: also yeah the money vvvvvv

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 26, 2010

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Fat Turkey posted:

Is there any vaguely legitimate way to get lasting copies of dramas and programs from BBC Radio. I missed the Feynman programs on Radio 4 last Saturday and I'm currently listening to and really enjoying Faust which was on Raido 3 last Sunday but runs out today.

Seems harsh that 4OD can have so many programs up for free streaming, but the BBC don't have anything like that for their own content, especially after the taxpayers have paid for it anyway. I haven't delved in Radio much before but I'm really enjoying it for the moment and don't just want to lose it all after 7 days.

iPlayer costs the BBC millions already. Having an archive service would drive them further in to the red.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Some Strange Flea posted:

I don't know the entire story but I gather that this is all Murdoch's fault somehow.

e: also yeah the money vvvvvv
Not sure if you were joking or not but wasnt there some sort of anti-competition whine from Sky along the lines of 'its not fair if they (BBC) just have everything on demand'?

On a different topic who agrees with my prediction that in approx 5 years time all UK TV will be on demand over IP and roof ariels and sat dishes will be a thing of the past? We are nearly there now, all it takes is a bit more in the infrastructure and someone to release a simplifed PC/Mac purely to stream telly.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

cloudchamber posted:

iPlayer costs the BBC millions already. Having an archive service would drive them further in to the red.

Someone tell the BBC I would happily pay a subscription fee for it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Graviton v2 posted:

Not sure if you were joking or not but wasnt there some sort of anti-competition whine from Sky along the lines of 'its not fair if they (BBC) just have everything on demand'?

On a different topic who agrees with my prediction that in approx 5 years time all UK TV will be on demand over IP and roof ariels and sat dishes will be a thing of the past? We are nearly there now, all it takes is a bit more in the infrastructure and someone to release a simplifed PC/Mac purely to stream telly.
TVs themselves are having that sort of thing built in now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Fat Turkey posted:

Someone tell the BBC I would happily pay a subscription fee for it.

Me too. I'd gladly pay just to have access to the BBC archives.

bleees
Jul 11, 2001

This Avatar is self referential

Graviton v2 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouView

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fat Turkey posted:

http://github.com/jjl/get_iplayer

I use it regularly to download mp3s of radio 4 programs to listen to later on my iPod when driving. I then basically have my own radio station that only plays programmes I'm interested in.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Graviton v2 posted:

This won't happen until the majority of the country has broadband and there's enough bandwidth to go round (this won't happen ever).

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

So here I am, fully prepared for an hours' worth of period drama stodge from ITV in the shape of Downton Abbey. The nights are drawing in, I had chocolate, and Maggie Smith had donned her corsets in order to entertain the nation, oh happy day. (Look, I'm female, I'm allowed to enjoy this sort of thing, okay?)

Except I live in Scotland, where STV -in their infinite wisdon- has decided to show a repeat of some Billy Connelly bollocks from a year ago instead.

This was the one thing ITV has done in the past five years that I have actually wanted to watch. I really do wish they'd all stop playing silly buggers with the programmes in this manner.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Tsaedje posted:

This won't happen until the majority of the country has broadband and there's enough bandwidth to go round (this won't happen ever).
I think I disagree.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7scMC7YSDQ

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Irisi posted:

So here I am, fully prepared for an hours' worth of period drama stodge from ITV in the shape of Downton Abbey. The nights are drawing in, I had chocolate, and Maggie Smith had donned her corsets in order to entertain the nation, oh happy day. (Look, I'm female, I'm allowed to enjoy this sort of thing, okay?)

Except I live in Scotland, where STV -in their infinite wisdon- has decided to show a repeat of some Billy Connelly bollocks from a year ago instead.

This was the one thing ITV has done in the past five years that I have actually wanted to watch. I really do wish they'd all stop playing silly buggers with the programmes in this manner.

I watched it with my wife, we both agreed it was dull, and to prove the point she fell asleep after the first hour, so we decided to watch An Idiot Abroad instead.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Irisi posted:

STV are perfectly entitled to opt-out of anything they drat well like on the London network feed with the exception of ITN, which ALL regions are bound by the rules to take.

They're doing it to basically stick two fingers up at ITV plc., and I do find it quite funny that they are doing it. Sometimes they opt-out of the most amazing examples of ITV dross, but the Scottish public, in their infinite wisdom, still want to watch them. Fools.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ddraig posted:

I really don't think Karl is an act. I've genuinely met people like him, and despite that I do think he's a bit aware and plays it up slightly. If you've ever listened to the old XFM shows him, Ricky and Steve did then he's much more laid back than the podcasts and things he's done since, but he's still the same old Karl.

Plus he'd really have to be the best character actor alive to be able to keep it up for this long without a single slipup.

Seriously though, I'm getting really annoyed at having to explain this everywhere.

Look at the old XFM series. He joined in. He laughed. He had a personality and wasn't afraid to give stick to Ricky and Steve. They were three friends dicking around and having fun. Karl was head of production at XFM. This is an important job. He was responsible for the overall "sound" of the station - so the jingles, the music beds, the way everything is stuck together in the right order, that kinda thing. Probably also DJ Rotas too. He's no fool and that is a top-level job in a radio station.

Then as the XFM show got older, his personality changed. He said more and more outrageous things, and rather than having his own personality he kept himself to himself more until it was comedically an apt time to say something.

And then the podcasts came along. And it was even more "acted". And then they started repeating stuff.

As an old school fan, it upsets me to see how it's all turned out, but I guess I shouldn't begrudge them the success.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

thehustler posted:

STV are perfectly entitled to opt-out of anything they drat well like on the London network feed with the exception of ITN, which ALL regions are bound by the rules to take.
Don't be a dick, most people don't care about the "rules" of whatever TV network, they just want to watch things that are advertised to them. You're way too obsessive about that poo poo.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm not saying I necessarily agree or disagree with the decision, just that it's interesting how they do it, when they decide to do it, etc etc.

You're perfectly right in that people don't care about rules, so it's up to STV to explain the decision to their viewers. They said originally they were doing it to show more relevant localised Scottish content, but apparently nobody cares about it.

It's just fresh in my mind because I've been learning so much about it recently.

PS: there's always the option to watch another region either by bleedover reception or if you have Sky etc, but it is shady that STV are forcing people to do that.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Try living in Wales. S4C.

OK so these days digital carries both, but before that, you wanted primetime C4 content? enjoy staying up till 2am 2 weeks later because the 8 o'clock slot was taken up by an episode of a welsh language soap opera.

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

So I finally got around to watching the second episode of Stephen Hawking's Universe (available on youtube) where he talks about the possibility of time travel. He does a fairly good job of explaining complex physical concepts in laypeople's terms and if you're at all interested in this kind of thing you should definitely give it a watch. It's good, but in a way it depressed me because I don't believe humans will ever develop far enough to accomplish the feats that Hawking imagines.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

normal contact posted:

So I finally got around to watching the second episode of Stephen Hawking's Universe (available on youtube) where he talks about the possibility of time travel. He does a fairly good job of explaining complex physical concepts in laypeople's terms and if you're at all interested in this kind of thing you should definitely give it a watch. It's good, but in a way it depressed me because I don't believe humans will ever develop far enough to accomplish the feats that Hawking imagines.
I dunno, travelling at near light speed for 5 years is bordering on possible with current engineering, it would of course mean a gigantic global effort which ... oh gently caress it

Its a nice program, cool how they link in between synf Steven and the narrator. Spent a fair bit on animation as well. And its cool to know this is a real bona-fide genious talking to us.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Sort of UK TV related: Stephen Fry to play Mycroft Holmes in the sequel to last year's movie.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

thehustler posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying I necessarily agree or disagree with the decision, just that it's interesting how they do it, when they decide to do it, etc etc.

You're perfectly right in that people don't care about rules, so it's up to STV to explain the decision to their viewers. They said originally they were doing it to show more relevant localised Scottish content, but apparently nobody cares about it.

It's just fresh in my mind because I've been learning so much about it recently.

PS: there's always the option to watch another region either by bleedover reception or if you have Sky etc, but it is shady that STV are forcing people to do that.

What STV are doing is trying to position themselves as separate from ITV so when the Broadcasting rights license renewal comes up for ITV in 2014 they can point to the fact they've been doing their own thing and along with the Scottish broadcasting commission report which recommended a dedicated Scottish digital channel, they can say "look at our output we are one" It's cheaper to give them a small grant to start STVup as an independent broadcaster and let ITV1 be broadcast across the whole of the uk with almost no regional content.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sort of UK TV related: Stephen Fry to play Mycroft Holmes in the sequel to last year's movie.

They should have cast that one guy from Paradox who looks exactly like Robert Downey Jr.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Adrianics posted:

They should have cast that one guy from Paradox who looks exactly like Robert Downey Jr.

Or Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Unless it's somehow the same guy.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Oh, The Inbetweeners... That was so loving bad :(

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
It's all gone a bit Peep Show series 4 :(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Aye, Inbetweeners was loving poo poo this week.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I liked it because of the Championship Manager joke and the fact that it was filmed at my local shopping centre.

Also Wills a prick and the worst character of all. I don't know why they don't just tell him to gently caress off and leave them alone.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
No one plays Champ Man anymore, they can't even get that right...

Will's a lot better than Simon, who is just a twat.

Edit: Although that said, he probably had the funniest line in the episode with "Crap's a swear word?"

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
It wasnt that bad, imo it was better than the fashion show one. The comedy this episode depends on whether you have ever been stuck in a situation where you're around someone who is a bit too eager and you just dont know how to tell them to gently caress off, without making them want to kill themselves or giving them reason to snog your face off.

Good things:
*championship manager joke
*the "i dont even know what the rules are anymore" thing with jay's ex being off-limits
*Neil's dad
*Tara's parents (i've come across friends parents who are like that, and its just awful)
*The canary wharf gag

Will went a bit far with the whole explaining why he was dumping her, that said if id poo poo myself in front of the whole year i wouldn't put up with anyone trying to make my life even more complicated.