Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Loofa08 posted:

I have the hardest time getting my friends to watch Friday Night Lights. Even the ones who enjoy football. They always look at me with this dumbfounded look like "A football show...you?" Because I'm not really much of a football fan.

It does not matter if you hate sports. You will love FNL, and yes it does get better and better....and better.

That's because it's not really a show about football. People going into it thinking it's a sports show probably won't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

That's because it's not really a show about football. People going into it thinking it's a sports show probably won't like it.

This is the same problem with Sports Night, which was a pretty drat awesome show. However, most people who would have enjoyed it didn't watch it because they thought it was a show about sports, which it wasn't.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I know, and I tell them that...they just don't care to believe me. gently caress em' I guess. Their loss.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
Just binged through Dexter, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, and Breaking Bad over the course of Spring/Summer and drat... what a ride. I feel like I've just finished covering the pantheon of television subjects and I don't even know where to start gushing over each of them.

I most recently got all caught up with Mad Men thanks to Netflix and DVR and I can't begin to talk about the amazing quality and attention to detail of that show. When it first started I suppose it never piqued my interest and I let it slip by, like an idiot. The slower story driven nature of everything is such a great thing to experience in quick succession though so I suppose I'm glad it did slip by.

Next up: Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Spaced.

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
I just started Breaking Bad and I really like it, but every time Walter's wife does anything I want to turn the dvd off and never turn it back on. Does she get better or more nuanced at all? I really want to enjoy this show but I feel like I'm watching an awesome drama with a random cartoon figure of every negative stereotype about women ever thrown in and it's ruining ~*~*~my viewing experience~*~*~.

EDIT: I'm also binging through Strangers With Candy on Netflix Instant and loving it. "I GOT SOMETHIN' TO SAY!"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

I just started Breaking Bad and I really like it, but every time Walter's wife does anything I want to turn the dvd off and never turn it back on. Does she get better or more nuanced at all? I really want to enjoy this show but I feel like I'm watching an awesome drama with a random cartoon figure of every negative stereotype about women ever thrown in and it's ruining ~*~*~my viewing experience~*~*~.

This is a common sentiment, and I don't think it's limited to her character. I thought that Skyler, Marie, and Hank were all fairly one-dimensional and unlikeable early on, but their characters do get filled in quite a bit. Now as to whether you like Skyler or not as her character gets filled in more, I wouldn't venture to guess. Some people do, some people don't. I personally think she's a good character, and more importantly plays a necessary role in the show.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Veronica Mars showed up on Netflix streaming and I'm going through it. It's really quite good.

The only thing I hate is when it gets way to quirky for its own good. Super rich preppy schoolgirls aren't going to be singing "Don't Stand So Close To Me" to a girl that allegedly hosed a teacher, much less know any of the lyrics.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I've just finished series 2 of Friday Night Lights and it kind of reminds me of series 3 of Dexter or series 5 of The West Wing, in that it's disappointing when held up to the standards the show previously set itself but still of a much higher standard than most of the shows on television.

There's a lot I didn't like about it, mainly the overblown and 90210-esque plots like Tim falling foul of a meth addict, Smash getting drawn into a racist brawl and Landry murdering a guy but I still enjoyed watching it and I'm looking forward to starting series 3.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
Lost marathon update: We finished season 4 a couple of days ago, circumstances (and the desire to give it a break) mean we probably won't start 5 for a little while yet. What's the general consensus on seasons 5 and 6? I've been reading 'Lost sucks now' comments... well, ever since I heard about Lost. Is there any noticeable drop/difference in quality after season 4?

In terms of my enjoyment, I thought season 4 was probably my favourite so far. The Constant was really really great - in fact, the whole character of Desmond is really very well done - and all the new characters work well. I liked having my suspicions proved that the Island moves, and that it really does operate outside of normal space-time. The only let-downs were the way Locke's been handled since season 2 (though his conversation with Jack before he went down to the Orchid really did a lot to redeem him), and a bit of the Widmore stuff. The flash-forwards were a really cool technique. Oh, and Kate sucks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Lost marathon update: We finished season 4 a couple of days ago, circumstances (and the desire to give it a break) mean we probably won't start 5 for a little while yet. What's the general consensus on seasons 5 and 6? I've been reading 'Lost sucks now' comments... well, ever since I heard about Lost. Is there any noticeable drop/difference in quality after season 4?

In terms of my enjoyment, I thought season 4 was probably my favourite so far. The Constant was really really great - in fact, the whole character of Desmond is really very well done - and all the new characters work well. I liked having my suspicions proved that the Island moves, and that it really does operate outside of normal space-time. The only let-downs were the way Locke's been handled since season 2 (though his conversation with Jack before he went down to the Orchid really did a lot to redeem him), and a bit of the Widmore stuff. The flash-forwards were a really cool technique. Oh, and Kate sucks.

4 is my favorite as well, and it seems like we liked the show for the same reasons. I feel that it keeps that top notch quality all the way through the end of the show. As for the characters, Locke turns out ten times more awesome and interesting and Kate even ends up likable.

fakeedit: And if you enjoy the music in Lost, season 5 is pretty much non-stop epic Lost music. The soundtrack really shines throughout the season.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Kilometers Davis posted:

4 is my favorite as well, and it seems like we liked the show for the same reasons. I feel that it keeps that top notch quality all the way through the end of the show. As for the characters, Locke turns out ten times more awesome and interesting and Kate even ends up likable.

fakeedit: And if you enjoy the music in Lost, season 5 is pretty much non-stop epic Lost music. The soundtrack really shines throughout the season.

Yeah, I heard that a lot of fans of the early seasons were annoyed when the balance tipped from castaway drama to mystical genre show, but I dunno - I always saw the Island as the 'place where miracles happen' that Locke describes in that conversation. In fact, if there's anything I'm annoyed about in that respect, it's that they occasionally go too far out of their way to explain things. I want to watch a show about a place where a symbol from someone's past can literally be there (Kate's horse, Jack's dad, though that's becoming a little harder to swallow), not one where people put things on an island.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

4 is a really good season, 5 and 6 carry on at not quite the same pace (4 was compressed about 3 or 4 episodes bcause of the writer's striker).

Opinions on seasons 5 and 6 are split - some people love 5 and don't like season 6, some didn't like season 5 but loved season 6, and obviously some like both. When I watched it I thought season 5 was kind of middling as Lost goes but the last few minutes of the finale put a new spin on the season and makes it more interesting in retrospect and I thought season 6 was great the whole way through.

And yeah, The Constant tends to be the favourite episode for a very large number of people.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I recently watched all of Fringe, Eureka, and Warehouse 13. I started The 4400, but hit an episode in season 2 where the main character was an insufferable prick the entire time, and it completely killed any interest in the series after that. Also the evil baby was stupid.

Fringe, Eureka, and Warehouse 13, however, are awesome.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

Kruller posted:

I recently watched all of Fringe, Eureka, and Warehouse 13. I started The 4400, but hit an episode in season 2 where the main character was an insufferable prick the entire time, and it completely killed any interest in the series after that. Also the evil baby was stupid.

Fringe, Eureka, and Warehouse 13, however, are awesome.

I picked up Fringe Season 1 on Blu ray and powered through it. While I found it somewhat enjoyable... it's really a more boring version of the X-Files. I told myself I liked it enough to watch season 2...but that first episode of season 2 really turned me off. I haven't returned since. The shows monster of the week stuff is really poorly done. I just don't buy it. It's at its best when it sticks to the main story arc. For those of you who have seen season 2, is it worth coming back?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I started Arrsted Developtment a couple of years ago...was okay but I didn't love it and I dropped it a few episodes in.

Had nothing to watch last week, decided to give it another go and binged trough all seasons in two days. Holy poo poo that show was amazing.

I started to watch True Blood when it originally came out, but due to a lack of time I had to drop it to keep watching my "old shows". Now I started again and I'm in late season 3 two days after I started. Holy poo poo I _LOVE_ this show. Apparently they are based on books, are the books any good?

Still deciding what to watch next. I really have to watch the other 6 seasons of the Sopranos, I need to finish "The Wire", I liked "The trailer park boys" and never finished them, I should watch the other seasons of Dexter AND I'm in dire need of a new sitcom to binge trough. So...what should I watch?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Popelmon posted:

So...what should I watch?

I want to be the first and only person to suggest Life on Mars (UK). There are only 16 episodes (by design, it didn't get cancelled) and almost everything about it is amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Superrodan posted:

I want to be the first and only person to suggest Life on Mars (UK). There are only 16 episodes (by design, it didn't get cancelled) and almost everything about it is amazing.

Life on Mars is awesome and if you like it the sequel Ashes to Ashes is awesome

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Loofa08 posted:

I picked up Fringe Season 1 on Blu ray and powered through it. While I found it somewhat enjoyable... it's really a more boring version of the X-Files. I told myself I liked it enough to watch season 2...but that first episode of season 2 really turned me off. I haven't returned since. The shows monster of the week stuff is really poorly done. I just don't buy it. It's at its best when it sticks to the main story arc. For those of you who have seen season 2, is it worth coming back?

Absolutely. The MotW stuff drops off significantly through season 2 as it focuses more and more on the major arc of the series. The season 2 finale was pretty amazing. I highly suggest watching all of season 2 before starting up with 3, as even the MotW stuff has great character moments, and more Walter is awesome. There is one episode in 2 that you could probably skip. I want to say it's episode 11. It was filmed during season 1 and was pushed to season 2, and it's EXTREMELY out of place. You'll understand.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Popelmon posted:

I started Arrsted Developtment a couple of years ago...was okay but I didn't love it and I dropped it a few episodes in.

Had nothing to watch last week, decided to give it another go and binged trough all seasons in two days. Holy poo poo that show was amazing.

I started to watch True Blood when it originally came out, but due to a lack of time I had to drop it to keep watching my "old shows". Now I started again and I'm in late season 3 two days after I started. Holy poo poo I _LOVE_ this show. Apparently they are based on books, are the books any good?

I haven't read the books myself, but by all accounts, they're pretty ok romance novels with some cool supernatural stuff going on, and the show just runs with the cool supernatural stuff.

For example, in the novels, Tara is is Sookie's BFF who owns Sookie's favorite clothing shop, Lafayette was supposed to be that corpse in the car at the end of S1/beginning of S2, and Jessica doesn't exist .

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was working my way through Lost. I stopped watching at the beginning of season three and with the seasons on Netflix it seemed like a good opportunity to catch up.

So I was halfway through season three and when I came home from work I found that Netflix had dropped everything before season five from their watch instantly list. So I guess I won't be seeing the rest of the series anytime soon.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Superrodan posted:

I want to be the first and only person to suggest Life on Mars (UK).

Then you're a few dozen pages too late.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I was working my way through Lost. I stopped watching at the beginning of season three and with the seasons on Netflix it seemed like a good opportunity to catch up.

So I was halfway through season three and when I came home from work I found that Netflix had dropped everything before season five from their watch instantly list. So I guess I won't be seeing the rest of the series anytime soon.

Seasons 1-5 are still available for streaming on ABC.com!
http://abc.go.com/watch/lost/SH559062

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Aside from the opening miniseries, Razor, and The Plan, :bsg: has been added to Netflix instant. Definitely worth a binge if you haven't seen it yet.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Kekekela posted:

Then you're a few dozen pages too late.

I meant recommend to Popelmon, who I was quoting.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

JVO posted:

Aside from the opening miniseries, Razor, and The Plan, :bsg: has been added to Netflix instant. Definitely worth a binge if you haven't seen it yet.

Why the hell isn't the miniseries on there? Cause you know all that poo poo aint important......

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seasons 1-5 are still available for streaming on ABC.com!
http://abc.go.com/watch/lost/SH559062

But I can't send that to my big screen TV.

And sure Netflix, take away the series I was watching for the one that I own on DVD. :argh:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Kashew posted:

I'm working through every episode of The Simpsons...in order.

You and me both, buddy! Although thanks to the volume of tv out there, I've managed the first 5 seasons in almost a year. At least it's providing a crazy nostalgia trip. I imagine I'll stop around Season 10, tho.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Finished season II of Veronica Mars. 20 episodes of a pretty good series, 1 episode of disappointment, and 1 episode of sheer :barf: awful. Seriously, how did they think that was a good finale?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Just finished up the end of series 3 of True Blood and my God this has to be the worst show I can't stop myself watching.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's better than Lie to Me/the billions of CSI's/Chuck/Glee and the usual parade of Bad American Television, but from HBO? The people who gave me Rome? The Wire? In Treatment (please don't gently caress series 3)? A show so badly written that when a scene starts, 9/10 times you can think "What is the most annoying/cliched thing that can happen" answer yourself, then watch it unfold. It's trash. I'd single out just one character that's 180'd more than once when it's plot convenient, but no, all of them have. Many many times.

The worst thing is you occasionally get the impression that some of them know how poo poo it is (Sookie's face while pouring the guts down the drain, Eric and Edgington high-camping it up), and -worse- you occasionally get amazing scenes (Eric & Godric on the roof). But then you get endless badly written Tara and Ryan Kwanten po-dunking about hicksville shitlington making me wish they were all dead.

Jessica though. :drat:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HBO has had crap/guilty pleasure shows before like Entourage and How to Make it in America. True Blood is trashy as gently caress but that's the only direction you can take a vampire show without it being complete poo poo like Twilight

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
God entourage? That pathetic hollywood-insider circlejerk? Christ.

Honestly I've seen the first two Twilight films (Guess I've got Brain Problems.jpg) because I have to read/see poo poo like that to find out how/why they got to that size. And yes, the films are utter trainwrecks, however, they're earnest: Yes, this relationship is completely unhealthy. Yes, Rpattz is taking the piss something merciless. Yes, we are as surprised by it's success as you are. But damnit we are going to play this poo poo completely straight and we are going to go to our graves embarrassed.

True blood annoys me because it tries to have it both ways, it's bad for the same reason Glee is bad, the same reason Grindhouse was bad, you can't go from winkingly shlocky and poo poo to "and now take this scene/character deadly seriously!" and expect a grown-up not to flick channels. And you could do such great things with a Vampire show! Just adapt Fevre Dream! Or get somebody clever to sit down and look at some White Wolf source books.

Hell I haven't seen it since it originally aired but I still have pretty fond memories of Buffy.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Kipory posted:

Finished season II of Veronica Mars. 20 episodes of a pretty good series, 1 episode of disappointment, and 1 episode of sheer :barf: awful. Seriously, how did they think that was a good finale?

Yeah, although...yeah. There's not even that great a payoff to the cliff-hanger. If it makes you feel any better, the third season has few arcs that extend beyond a few episodes, so there's never the chance for them to make things quite that complicated again.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Ratatozsk posted:

Yeah, although...yeah. There's not even that great a payoff to the cliff-hanger. If it makes you feel any better, the third season has few arcs that extend beyond a few episodes, so there's never the chance for them to make things quite that complicated again.

I think my biggest problem was the rape and chlamydia, that right there pushed it from poorly written to straight daytime soap territory.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
Liking season 3, save the fact they made Logan a bitch

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Evfedu posted:

edgy

gently caress your posts are terrible, it's like you're trying to post a blog on SA. Stop trying so hard.

Anyway, I've been binging through Dexter. Up to season 4 and loving it. It's a shame I knew from the start of S1 what happens in the big Season 4 finale. :(

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
In his defense True Blood is either something you love or find unbearable.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I just watched the first 2 seasons of Nip/Tuck in 2 weeks. How in the hell are there 4 more seasons of this? Everything that could possibly happen ever has happened. It makes me want to keep watching just to see how much further they can push it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I've started going through Parks and Recreation - just finishing up season 1 at the moment. I'm excited to start season 2, because everyone I've talked to says that the second season is much better than the first. As of now, it's up on Netflix Instant Watch!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

AngryBooch posted:

I just watched the first 2 seasons of Nip/Tuck in 2 weeks. How in the hell are there 4 more seasons of this? Everything that could possibly happen ever has happened.

:haw: Everything that could possibly happen? Let me assure you, there's plenty more that hasn't happened yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

gently caress your posts are terrible, it's like you're trying to post a blog on SA. Stop trying so hard.
Sorry I can't enjoy True Blood like you. :(

P.S. Dexter is great till the end of S2 and is pretty rubbish by season 4. Enjoy the good while it lasts!