Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

arroze posted:

I won't touch a cordless mouse anymore; they're just not worth the hassle. Untimely battery deaths, battery strength weakening over time, forgot to put it in the cradle, link loss. And... more parts to worry about : the mouse, the cradle, and the power supply. I went through several styles of cordless mice though, before I reached this opinion; others really stand by wireless/bluetooth.
USB charging cable helps to reduce most of those problems – you can continue to use your mouse while it charges :) Very convenient if you already have some other devices that use it.

Also, I wonder why Logitech isn't making corded mice with this weird shape like cordless ones (Revolution, MX1100, Performance MX). I'd love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
For anyone complaining about middle click with scroll wheels try to use some other button. I've thought that scroll wheels suck as middle click ever since I got MX1000 at work, so on that one and my laptop's V555b I use the side scroll as middle click. It has much better feel than pushing down on the actual scroll wheel. But the best middle click I've ever had is on my MX620 at home. I use the "search" button left from the left button as middle click. It's superior to anything I've had before.

Free scroll is pretty much a personal preference and it takes a while to get used to. When I first got the MX620 I switched constantly between free scroll and notched scroll depending on what I was doing, but it's been a long time since I last used notched scroll. Nowadays it feels the same as using a gunked up ball mouse.

peggle u faggot
Jan 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Can anyone suggest a quiet mouse? One that either doesn't click or has a very soft click. I currently have a Deathadder and it is quite loud and it annoys people around me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

alseyn posted:

USB charging cable helps to reduce most of those problems – you can continue to use your mouse while it charges :) Very convenient if you already have some other devices that use it.
This is what I love about my Performance MX. I got lots of gadgets that use micro USB but only one cable plugged into my computer.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I love my MX Revolution. I had actually purchased a MX1000 when they first came out. About 2 years after I got my MX1000 I was at the BX and I went and looked at the "stuff that got returned that we sell for 50% off just to get rid of it" shelf. In there was an MX Revolution for $40. I bought it immediately. I have loved that mouse more than anything. I do think after ready about the RAT 9 I think I will purchase one of those come January 15th.

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

mmmm, black straight hair.
Well first things first: :siren: I'M LEFT HANDED. DON'T RECOMMEND A RIGHT HANDED MOUSE :siren:. I've been trying various mice, and have been starting to get RSI from using a Razer Deathadder Left Hand edition. I've also tried a Lycosa. I have a "Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse" and this doesn't trigger my RSI, but I need side buttons suitable for a lefty, and it really isn't suitable for gaming...in FPSes it cause noticeably jerky movement.

I'm looking at the SteelSeries Xai on which opinions seem to be divided. It has side buttons on both side, so tick that box. It looks and apparently feels a lot like an IntelliMouse so that's a big tick right there. What I'm wary of is opinions seem to be divided. At least one review really trashes this mouse, saying that it suffers from terrible negative acceleration issues. others seem to have far more positive opinions, saying that the acceleration issues either aren't present in later examples of this mouse, or are fixed by a firmware upgrade.

Does anyone have one of these? Can anyone comment on how decent they are? Can people suggest another decent lefty mouse with side buttons? Let's disregard the cost issue, because I don't mind spending a bit of money to make my hand feel like it's not a misshapen claw whenever I use my computer.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

nftyw posted:

Man, I kind of wish they still had the MX300 kicking around. I still am using one that's god knows how old, the paint's worn on the buttons and the rubber looks like a grody mess, but the only thing that's wrong with it now is the mousewheel, which is starting to scroll up sometimes after flicking it downward. If there's a cheap way to fix this, I'm all ears.

It's crazy how the MX300 has literally disappeared. You can't even find these things on eBay anymore, I've tried. Someday archaeologists will uncover records from the bombed-out shell of Logitech's corporate offices with the mysterious model number 'MX300' and no-one will be able to locate a sample.

... probably because some hoarder went ahead and hoarded every one he could find to prepare for a lifetime of post-apocalyptic web browsing, I guess. :argh:
I have an MX310, and I'd like to know how to fix the damned mousewheel too. 310's not as good as the 300, but it's decent, and the only thing that's giving me grief is the wheel.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I love my MX700. It's using the shell from an MX500 because I didn't like the paint job, but it's lasted a good five or six years now with very few problems. I accidentally broke the mousewheel so it doesn't click, it just scrolls smoothly, and sometimes it refuses to left-click properly, but bashing it on the desk fixes that for a couple of months.

It's outlated two computers now, and I really should think about replacing it, but it's been such a great mouse. :unsmith:

caiwarrior
Nov 25, 2008
sitting here with Razer deathadder (not respawn), i had intellimouse 3.0 and i like both. Both are solid products.

I don't think there is a point to go for higher priced mouses unless the extra buttons are so important to you... But quality-wise i dont think they are better

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the middle-click easier to click on the Logitech g9x?

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

fraggsta posted:

Well first things first: :siren: I'M LEFT HANDED. DON'T RECOMMEND A RIGHT HANDED MOUSE :siren:.

Same boat. I've been using an MX310 from about a hundred years ago, and it's worked fine, but I notice my wrist and the blade of my hand starting to hurt after a while.

I tried a Logitech...um...something or other MX 610 that was actually designed for lefties, and I liked it, but it was wireless and glitched all the time, so I returned it. There was never a corded variant, and now Logitech doesn't even have a left-handed criterion when choosing a mouse. :qq:

I looked at the Evoluent left-handed mouse, but $100 is pricey for me. To the people that have right-handed variants: any particular reason to get it/not get it?

A Child's Letter fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 4, 2010

PlugScum
Mar 3, 2004

sink of malcontent

amitlu posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the middle-click easier to click on the Logitech g9x?
If you don't care about the tilt-scroll feature, map left scroll tilt to middle click in setpoint.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

PlugScum posted:

If you don't care about the tilt-scroll feature, map left scroll tilt to middle click in setpoint.

This worked, thanks.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

A Child's Letter posted:

I looked at the Evoluent left-handed mouse, but $100 is pricey for me. To the people that have right-handed variants: any particular reason to get it/not get it?

I have it at the office, but I can't really tell if it's helpful or not.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Re: the Rat 9. Original release date was supposed to be sometime in august, then september. Then it was pushed back to the 20th of october, Gamestop's store claims release on march 1st 2011.

Also NCIX canada has it listed as available, but out of stock. And the price on the cyborg mice seems to have gone up 10$ across the board.

I don't want to pay 150$ for a mouse.

E: I should also point out that I can't find the RAT9 on the NCIX US site. And the prices are roughly equivalent.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 9, 2010

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I was seriously considering the RAT 7, but after reading about the pick-up issues I'm worried that it'll affect me.

I'm a pretty pro-l33t-g4m3r :kamina: who plays with his mouse on a low sensitivity for better tracking, so I'm quite the avid pick-up shooter. That is to say I pick up my mouse a shitton in games. Can anyone here comment on their experience with the RAT 7's supposedly bad pick-up performance?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

amitlu posted:

This worked, thanks.

Or you can do what I did and sit there and practice middle clicking until you can do it consistently. It was a pain in the rear end but I can use tilt for stuff.

Even though I don't. :downs:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mido posted:

I was seriously considering the RAT 7, but after reading about the pick-up issues I'm worried that it'll affect me.

I'm a pretty pro-l33t-g4m3r :kamina: who plays with his mouse on a low sensitivity for better tracking, so I'm quite the avid pick-up shooter. That is to say I pick up my mouse a shitton in games. Can anyone here comment on their experience with the RAT 7's supposedly bad pick-up performance?

I bought a RAT 7 a few days ago, and the pick-up is definitely noticeable. The pickup isn't the worst problem though:

Because there's no base, if you rest your palm on the palm portion and it's extended, the mouse will be unbalanced, and because the mouse laser detects the z-axis it fucks up bad. Additionally, if you use a cloth or otherwise soft mousepad, left-clicking also gives pointer jitter every time.

I love the concept behind this mouse, but the execution has me going back to my Logitech G5, degenerating mouse wheel be damned.

E: Speaking of the Logitech G5, anyone know of a similarly shaped mouse? I love this thing and was hoping to tailor the RAT 7 to it but it didn't work out well.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 14, 2010

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Ordered this, coming tomorrow morning (edit wow I just realized it ships in december gently caress)

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/arctouchmouse/

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 14, 2010

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Mo_Steel posted:

No base where there should be base.

How big would you say your hands are?
From that picture I assume your mouse is similarly extended, is that near/at the full extension of that component?

Now that I think of it I've usually been holding mice with the base of my palm resting on the mouse-pad. I guess that's likely due to few mice having a big enough rest.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Teledahn posted:

How big would you say your hands are?
From that picture I assume your mouse is similarly extended, is that near/at the full extension of that component?

Now that I think of it I've usually been holding mice with the base of my palm resting on the mouse-pad. I guess that's likely due to few mice having a big enough rest.

My hands are probably medium-small, but I use a claw/palm grip when moving the mouse and rest the base of my palm on the base of the mouse. When the palm rest is extended out like that it tips, with or without weights, with just a slight bit of pressure downward.

It doesn't look like much in the picture, but when you've got your hand on it you realize most of your hand weight is right there and the mouse laser catches those Z-axis movements really easily.

norg
Jul 5, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

E: Speaking of the Logitech G5, anyone know of a similarly shaped mouse? I love this thing and was hoping to tailor the RAT 7 to it but it didn't work out well.

Logitech G500 is pretty similar. I just got one to replace an old G5, it's really nice.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

fraggsta posted:

Well first things first: :siren: I'M LEFT HANDED. DON'T RECOMMEND A RIGHT HANDED MOUSE :siren:. I've been trying various mice, and have been starting to get RSI from using a Razer Deathadder Left Hand edition. I've also tried a Lycosa. I have a "Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse" and this doesn't trigger my RSI, but I need side buttons suitable for a lefty, and it really isn't suitable for gaming...in FPSes it cause noticeably jerky movement.

I'm looking at the SteelSeries Xai on which opinions seem to be divided. It has side buttons on both side, so tick that box. It looks and apparently feels a lot like an IntelliMouse so that's a big tick right there. What I'm wary of is opinions seem to be divided. At least one review really trashes this mouse, saying that it suffers from terrible negative acceleration issues. others seem to have far more positive opinions, saying that the acceleration issues either aren't present in later examples of this mouse, or are fixed by a firmware upgrade.

Does anyone have one of these? Can anyone comment on how decent they are? Can people suggest another decent lefty mouse with side buttons? Let's disregard the cost issue, because I don't mind spending a bit of money to make my hand feel like it's not a misshapen claw whenever I use my computer.

I'm a leftie, a gamer, and a Xai owner (along with numerous other mice).

I can't recommend it for low to mid sensitivity (anything around or less than a 12" for a 360 turn in an FPS), as the sensor has both negative and positive acceleration (if you plotted centimetres moved against pixels moved, it would could out in a squiggly line instead of a straight line - it just isn't linear or consistent). This is less noticable if you're not that bothered about accuracy. You might be alright in Quake Live for example as you'll hardly notice any difference. For the record, this is with the latest firmware (last updated about 11 months ago, around the time of release), and apparently YMMV from mouse to mouse.

I use a Intellimouse 1.1a, for what it's worth, which is pretty similar to what you have at the minute. Has buttons either side of it. Might be worth doing your homework to see if it's a different (better) laser to what you're currently using (I think it is). If you're a high-sens player though it's still limited to 400dpi, and might still feel jerky. Pinky finger for the reload! They sell for cheap on eBay boxed (people buy them in bulk OEM deals so you should be able to get a factory sealed one).

I've had the Roccat Kova and it tracked and worked flawlessly, and is higher sens then the 1.1a. It was too small for my hands though and cramped them up. Might be an option for you if you have small-ish hands though.

Also, I've got a LH DA as well, and it cramped my hand up until I held the mouse in a more natural position for me, which was sort of further back.

Eagerly awaiting for Logitech to produce a LH gaming option. :argh:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm looking for a smaller wireless mouse that fits my hand better. Right now I'm using the standard wireless mouse that came bundled with my Logtiech mk300 wireless keyboard. But I recently used a friends Microsoft Mobile Mouse 6000 and it felt a lot better in my hand. It was like my fingers were able to rest better when I was using it. Even though I don't really like the look of it (it's pretty plain) I'd like to fine something that fits like it does.

So I'm looking for some suggestions. I like Logitech but am not opposed to other brands. I guess I'm looking for something smaller that allows the heel of your palm to rest on the desk a bit more. And something with a lot of buttons would be great too.

I'm currently considering the following...

MX620
MX1100
Performance MX
G700

Although I'm only considering them because they look cool. It's difficult to judge if they would have the feel I'm looking for. I should probably be considering the...

M510
M705
Anywhere MX

...since their pictures make them look like they might be smaller than the other ones.

Anyone what do you guys think? Any goons used any of these. How did you like them? What are your suggestions for a smaller mouse with multiple buttons?

EDIT: What are your goons' thoughts on the Performance MX vs. MX1100?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 18, 2010

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/exclusive-mad-catz-cyborg-rat-9-review/

It can't possibly be any sexier.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

thrawn86 posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/exclusive-mad-catz-cyborg-rat-9-review/

It can't possibly be any sexier.

Eye of the beholder for sure, I always thought it looked like Megatron took a dump.

-Blackadder- posted:

EDIT: What are your goons' thoughts on the Performance MX vs. MX1100?

I really like the Peformance MX, but I can't say I'd recommend it if you were looking for something smaller, it's pretty big. Best bet is to stop by a Staples or something and try out what they have.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I love my Logitech MX 510 dearly (as I do with most Logitech mice), but, wanting to play StarCraft 2 somewhat seriously, the mouse falls short when it comes to fast clicking. The problem is that the hidden button design makes it take too long between clicks, because there is too much of a flex between press and input and release and default position.

Ergonomics are key, which is why I normally eschew so-called gaming mice, but are there any comfortable mice with gaming-optimized clicking?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Many newer fancy mice has weights you can add to the mouse, but I've a hard time finding the stock weight on the mice themselves.

I use an old Razer Copperhead and I'm looking for a new mouse with more buttons, but I really hate heavy mice.

The Razor copperhead weighs in at 98 grams. Have anyone seen numbers for newer mice or if you have a R.a.t 7, Razer Naga or other newer mice can you please weigh it for me?

yeakevinc
Apr 17, 2010

Great White Hope! posted:

I have this mouse and it is awesome. There are more buttons on it than you'll know what to do with. It holds a very long charge and it has almost no input lag at all.

Logitech MX Revolution is one mouse that I haven't regretted yet.

And I don't plan to either, really worth the buy.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

SteelSeries has a one-day 40% storewide (via dealnews).

So, anyone have any experience with the Kinzu? Seems like a good deal at $26 after shipping. I don't know much about their products, though, so I was hoping someone could weigh in on the quality and durability.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Deal alert
Performance MX $56
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3360137

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Is it just me or don't they sell the Revolution MX anymore (at least in Switzerland :( )?

The first thing I usually do when I get a new (Logitech) mouse is open it up and soften the spring that makes the mouse wheel click - my mice purr instead of clicking when you turn the wheel.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Warthog posted:

Is it just me or don't they sell the Revolution MX anymore (at least in Switzerland :( )?

The first thing I usually do when I get a new (Logitech) mouse is open it up and soften the spring that makes the mouse wheel click - my mice purr instead of clicking when you turn the wheel.

It's EOL, and has been for quite a few months. Your best hope is to look through actual brick-and-mortar stores.

S3Y3N
Jan 9, 2004
I won the Xai in a raffle recently and do not experience any negative accel, though maybe ever so slight positive accel, as the user above. My shots are as deadly accurate as ever and the grip/shape/click feel/skates all come together for what I think is a really good mouse compared to everything else out there. Definitely feels nice to get away from my heavy and too highly arched DA.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Rat9's got a release date, it looks like - 11/12.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm looking into maybe getting a new mouse- right now I have a nice little wireless Logitech guy and I'm looking for a better version of that. Namely, I'm looking for something that has a built-in battery so I can either plug it into a wall or into my computer to recharge it; having an odd number of AAs lying around is really screwing me up. Any suggestions other than "buy more batteries"?

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
My mx518 finally just died after 3 solid years of use. I loved that mouse, but I figured I should spend 10 extra bucks and upgrade if I'm getting a new mouse.

I'm looking at the g5000: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

Any mx518 users use a g5000 now? Is it equally awesome?

RustyTrombone fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 10, 2010

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

That was my upgrade path. I love the G500. I thought the adjustable weight would be a useless gimmick, but I rather like the result. I'm sure I would've gotten used to whatever weight, but it was nice to have the option.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Wanted to also recommend the G500 for anyone out there. I miss that mouse when I'm not using it. The only thing I wish it had was the scroll wheel from the MX Revolution. On the Revolution, if you spun the middle wheel hard enough, it would put itself into free spin mode. It's amazing. On the G500, you have to specifically click the button below it to switch between free spin and normal notchy spin. As far as I can tell, that feature died with the MX Revolution. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
My Rat9 arrived today.

First reaction: It feels like molesting Optimus Prime.

Optimus Prime is surprisingly comfortable to molest.

It's very wide and squat compared to what I'm used to, but I'm adjusting pretty fast. The buttons all feel good, and it is indeed very adjustable - I'm using the pinky shelf and thinking about switching out the grip back. I sorta wish it just flat-out had *more* buttons, but it's certainly usable.

Battery charges ridiculously fast. It's a little harder to replace than on my old G7, but it's still reasonably quick, and I suspect I'll get faster at it with practice.

Overall I'm quite happy with it.

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 18, 2010