Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Does anyone have any tips of guides to links for painting the cloth on IG uniforms? I loving hate painting cloth, the paint dries way to quickly to blend and so I try feathering (light layers) to build up to a blended look but when I do that the paint is so watered down that it runs into the creases and makes it all blotchy. I got to the point where I just painted it a color, slapped on some devlan mud, then highlighted with the original color, but it still looks way too stark. Sharp, linear highlights work for armor but it looks like garbage on cloth. Any tips?

On a related note, I just came back to the hobby after a few years away and holy poo poo when did prices jump so much? Is my memory just bad or did stuff like SM tactical squads always cost $40?

You have too much paint on your brush, you should load up the brush with paint and wipe the excess off on something. I usually paint on a newspaper so that I can just wipe off the paint. When you think you have enough paint off the brush, give it another wipe to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Here's some more progress shots on the manz. I'm almost finished, bar some detailing and mud.

I usually slop a buncha muddy paint over all the metal in my army, but i'm a little hesitant to try it with these guys because i really took my time to highlight the edges and get the metal looking nice on its own. Still, i'm really happy with how they're coming along, and I only have a few more details to add before they're finished.

Here's the boss, with all 3 clan colors worked in. It's a little unfocused, but I still think the scheme looks nice. It reminds me a little of crimson fists. I still have to wash his crown and detail the bosspole and base a little more, as well as add some blood around his claw.

I'm debating whether or not to aim for a faux-glow with his eye holes, as attempted here with my kustom force field mek[s]. It might draw some focus back to the face, but it might be too much color for the area.

Bonus picture of my mek[s]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I suppose those Kan-things you used are out of production and now far more expensive than they were during that hilarious sale, aren't they.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Captain Invictus posted:

I suppose those Kan-things you used are out of production and now far more expensive than they were during that hilarious sale, aren't they.

Looks like they're still in stock though not on firesale:
http://www.thewarstore.com/product32017.html
http://www.thewarstore.com/product32018.html

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

AbdominalSnowman posted:

How hard do you guys think it would be to removes the edges and skulls and poo poo off of these greaves?

It wouldn't be terribly difficult, just really tedious. You'd never do it all with a knife (not with your sanity intact at least). Get most of it off with a file and neaten it up with a sharp knife. Honestly though, why would you bother? Just buy some loyalist mk.6 legs, they'll be almost exactly the same when you're done.

quote:

On a slightly related note, having never done Space Marines before, do I have to cut the grip off of every single bolter and glue it on top of their hands? If so that is a really lovely design.

You do. Consider this though: it's a lot less lovely than having to glue a tiny little grip onto a bolter if you want one that's not in someone's hand.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Miniature Market still has a 3-pack for $12.
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/138803

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

95% done on the first squad of Revilers. to do is basing, drilling barrels and dabs of green on the various lenses. Might also have to add a second layer of paint on the sergeants's head and give it a wash of ogryn flesh.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Anyone have an opinion about whether or not I attempt the glowy-eyes treatment on the megaboss? I'm gonna try'n finish the oath today.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

pw pw pw posted:

Anyone have an opinion about whether or not I attempt the glowy-eyes treatment on the megaboss? I'm gonna try'n finish the oath today.

I think you should try. How hard would it be to paint over if you hosed up?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Glowy eyes, but make them red, orange or yellow or something. Blue and green are way overdone, I rarely ever see people do red glowy eyes.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

pw pw pw posted:

As a Cryx player, I fully support glowing green goodness. Necrotite powered orks!

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Ffff I just decided on collecting Orks over SM/CSM and then you fuckers go and post amazing Nurgle conversions and kickass Revilers. gently caress y'all. :(

At least one of you is sensible and does Orks. :colbert:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Surprise T Rex posted:

Ffff I just decided on collecting Orks over SM/CSM and then you fuckers go and post amazing Nurgle conversions and kickass Revilers. gently caress y'all. :(

I may be (at least I think so) awesome with Deathguard conversions, but I always had a soft spot for Orks. You have a lot more conversion awesomeness potential with an Ork army in my opinion.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Surprise T Rex posted:

Don't worry, you made the right choice. Here's some of my stuff if it helps. v:shobon:v

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Posted these in the 40k thread, but the new DE stuff completely glossed over them :(

Anyway, completed this Librarian and a boatload of Marines this last week. The Chaplain shown was the last model I completed before quitting the hobby a year ago. I have some catching up to do to get back to that quality I think.

From earlier:

Click here for the full 1000x563 image.

Just finished these guys:

Anyway, justify me please... :smithicide:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Lenin posted:

I may be (at least I think so) awesome with Deathguard conversions, but I always had a soft spot for Orks. You have a lot more conversion awesomeness potential with an Ork army in my opinion.

This is true, and is the main reason I chose them, really.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Don't worry, you made the right choice. Here's some of my stuff if it helps. v:shobon:v

It does, how did you get the yellow to cover so well? I tried it before on some fantasy goblin models and it took so much effort just to get some robe trim looking consistent and non-patchy.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 27, 2010

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 27, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Posted these in the 40k thread, but the new DE stuff completely glossed over them :(

Anyway, completed this Librarian and a boatload of Marines this last week. The Chaplain shown was the last model I completed before quitting the hobby a year ago. I have some catching up to do to get back to that quality I think.

From earlier:

Click here for the full 1000x563 image.

Just finished these guys:

It's a good scheme and well painted, from the looks of them. Just gotta get them based and drill your barrels next time. I might try to get a little wash into the detail recesses on the leg and arm armor if I were you, but that's just my preference so they stand out more when not under an intense light.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Base your models!
:goonsay:

Your painting is nice but bare black plastic bases seriously detract from the appeal.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Chenghiz posted:

Base your models!
:goonsay:

Your painting is nice but bare black plastic bases seriously detract from the appeal.

The rest of the army is based, but as I'm planning on rebasing them all with something better than static grass, I'm holding off until I decide what to do.

I want to be a bit more ambitious than my old basing technique of half gravel, half static grass.

Ignore the bases for now. Sorry.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Only just had a chance since Sunday to get my photos up

Woop Woop, thats mine bottom right :)

I'll put the rest of the GD pics in the main thread

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Surprise T Rex posted:

It does, how did you get the yellow to cover so well? I tried it before on some fantasy goblin models and it took so much effort just to get some robe trim looking consistent and non-patchy.

Iyanden Darksun hilighted with Golden Yellow. Steer clear of Tausept Ochre, that stuff is barely better than most "normal" yellows. Much like DnD, Darksun is where the good stuff is.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Skarsnik posted:

I'll put the rest of the GD pics in the main thread

Obviously the issue here is that you didn't have a big enough pedestal for your mini :v:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

S.J. posted:

Obviously the issue here is that you didn't have a big enough pedestal for your mini :v:

I hate to say it but its true, I need to go buy some doorknobs.

They weren't nearly as bad this time round as in previous years, but mine looked silly without one :(

It should be the other way round damnit :colbert:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought the big display bases got banned?

(Also congrats Skarsnik.)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

I thought the big display bases got banned?

(Also congrats Skarsnik.)

They did in most categories, but not mine unfortunately:

"Although most of these models tend not to be supplied with a base, it is quite acceptable for you to mount the vehicle on a modest base (no more than 20mm larger than the vehicle itself)"

For other categories, it had to be an appropriately sized base. However it didn't stop you putting that appropriately sized base on a doorknob.

The rules stated they had to be removable from the doorknob, and they would be removed from them during judging. I didn't see a single bit of judging though where they actually did this though :(

edit: Da Rules: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/c...500056a&start=2

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 27, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Surprise T Rex posted:

if it can help you, i still have to paint 40 of the fuckers :( and these are just the AoBR marines, which means the others i have to paint are even more detailed. argh

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I'm still having a bit of trouble with this semi-transparent layering to replicate a blended look. I know I need to water down the paint a shitton and do a lot of layers, but how do I get better flow control? It is so watery that it basically a wash and it flows into all the crevices, but if I wipe it down first so most of the paint is off the brush, it looks like I drybrushed it or it gets all splotchy. What am I doing wrong?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Does Simple Green strip matte coats off of models as easily as paint? I've never had to try and I just picked up some second hand stuff that's been "painted" in the loosest sense of the word.

Also, not sure if this is the place, but can someone point me to a good greenstuffer that does commission work? I've run into a snag in my quest for 8 unique demons for an Apoc Bloodbath. I've done a head swap on an Ultraforge Wardemon and I'm not quite skilled enough to reconcile the difference in neck girth. Ideally, I'd like to make a trade for the work, but whatever works. Details 'n pics here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3352009

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mondian posted:

Does Simple Green strip matte coats off of models as easily as paint? I've never had to try and I just picked up some second hand stuff that's been "painted" in the loosest sense of the word.

Also, not sure if this is the place, but can someone point me to a good greenstuffer that does commission work? I've run into a snag in my quest for 8 unique demons for an Apoc Bloodbath. I've done a head swap on an Ultraforge Wardemon and I'm not quite skilled enough to reconcile the difference in neck girth. Ideally, I'd like to make a trade for the work, but whatever works. Details 'n pics here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3352009

Look for Buffalochicken on these forums. I forget what what name he currently goes by on EoW. He did some custom work on my Space Hulk terminators, and has done nice stuff for some other people.

Fake edit I decided to not be lazy. Thirsty Daddy over at EoW. Here is a link to his commission thread. Dude charges way too little for the quality of his work. A++ all around.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

AbdominalSnowman posted:

I'm still having a bit of trouble with this semi-transparent layering to replicate a blended look. I know I need to water down the paint a shitton and do a lot of layers, but how do I get better flow control? It is so watery that it basically a wash and it flows into all the crevices, but if I wipe it down first so most of the paint is off the brush, it looks like I drybrushed it or it gets all splotchy. What am I doing wrong?

Your paint should be thin but not too thin, its very hard to describe. It took me ages to get used to it but now I know from swirling the paint in my palette if its too thick or too thin. Just keep on practising, if it looks like its dry brushed it sounds like the paint has dried out on the brush or its too thick.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Use acrylic matte medium (available at any decent art store, or sold by privateer press as mixing medium) to increase your paint's transparency without reducing viscosity - it's basically straight acrylic binder (acrylic paints are made of binder, water, and pigment in an emulsion, adding too much water will break that emulsion and make things look like poo poo).

The other option is just doing two-brush blending because it's way easier than wet in wet - thin your paint a bit (around whole milk in consistency), lay a blob down with one brush, and push/pull the wet paint around with a second, clean, damp (most of the people I know just lick it) brush until it's blended into the previous layer. This is pretty easy to do and just requires you to work quickly, though you can use a bit of slo-dri or similar acrylic retarder when thinning your paint to give you some extra working time.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 28, 2010

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Miles O'Brian posted:

I keep seeing this part, where does the voodoo mask come from?

pw pw pw posted:

Here's some more progress shots on the manz. I'm almost finished, bar some detailing and mud.

Are you set on the dark blue? It just makes the look so plain at the moment. It may just be the lighting, but it's so close to black, and without highlighting or shading I think you could do far better.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Wazzu posted:

I keep seeing this part, where does the voodoo mask come from?

It's an WHFB Orc special character, Wurzag or something

edit: here ya are: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440078a&prodId=prod1130272

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If it wasn't clear, the nobz are not blue, just the boss.

I didn't want him to stand out severely from his squad, but I wanted some blue and red in there to tie him in with the rest of my army. Do you think a brighter, ultramarine-style blue would be better? I like how dark the meganobz are and I was hesitant to make the boss considerably brighter.

I'm also worried that he's dangerously clowny as it is and that saturating him with more color might bump it over the edge.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 27, 2010

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

:negative:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Mondian posted:

I could take a crack at it, but I'm not a professional by any means.
EDIT: You're better off going through Buffalo Chicken. I forgot how good he is. :aaaaa:

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 28, 2010

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Incoming Exodite... um, I dunno, I guess he'd be like an Autarch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

pw pw pw posted:

I'm also worried that he's dangerously clowny as it is and that saturating him with more color might bump it over the edge.

They're orks. If they're not over the edge, you're not trying hard enough!

Seriously though, the blue areas are super dark and don't seem like they're finished compared to the yellow. I'd vote for using a brighter blue, or at least doing some aggressive edge highlighting with a brighter blue to make the individual panels and parts stand out more.

• Locked thread