Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

DoctaFun posted:

So I'm selling a set of golf irons on craigslist, and got a pretty quick email from someone:

Scam Letter

Yup. A very common scam.

And of course: "If you have to ask, it's a scam."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Write back and say his message wasn't quite clear, and could you have the phone number of his secretary to call and discuss the matter with them. But likely it's a scam.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

DoctaFun posted:

"Kindly let me know if the above listed item is still available for sale ?"

Sounds like someone is trying to pull a fast one on me I think.

Scam. If someone wanted the clubs, their email would say "You still have the irons?" The whole "above listed item" thing is a dead giveaway.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone uses the word "kindly" in an email, it's automatically a scam.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Thanks for confirming my thoughts guys, I appreciate it. Maybe I can have some fun with this scammer, give him the address to somewhere funny or something...

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

DoctaFun posted:

Thanks for confirming my thoughts guys, I appreciate it. Maybe I can have some fun with this scammer, give him the address to somewhere funny or something...

Local police station would be fantastic.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
What are some things that helped you to be more organized in how you spend your time? I'm looking for some tried and true tips, not books that will overload me or anything.

I guess I should start by writing down exactly what I have to do in a given day, before I do anything. What else? How should I get myself to even do this?

My problem is much more organization/distraction than motivation.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

kinkster posted:

What are some things that helped you to be more organized in how you spend your time? I'm looking for some tried and true tips, not books that will overload me or anything.

I guess I should start by writing down exactly what I have to do in a given day, before I do anything. What else? How should I get myself to even do this?

My problem is much more organization/distraction than motivation.

I have the same problems, and I've found simplicity is the key. Don't get a day calender if you're never going to use it, or books that you're never going to read. Try just a bright yellow legal pad that's always open to what you have to do today/the new few days and always right where you can see it, like on your desk. The notepad is free form so you can organize it however you want. I'd recommend just a date/day of the week, a small list of what you need to do (w/ times if you have them, but don't obsess about them being in order) and just draw a horizontal line between days. Try to write in this every chance you can to form the habit of doing so, so you can include mundane things including events you feel confident you're going to remember anyway. Check off things as they are accomplish, right when they were accomplished if you can (if you forget to do this and instead check things off from the past week, you're not doing it right). Treat the notepad as a necessity and it will become so.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
What would be the simplest way to do this, for someone who is generally computer-ignorant:

The small business I work for just switched nameservers from GoDaddy to Dreamhost. We've been using Outlook for viewing/receiving/sending mails with IMAP. What would be the best way to import the folders that are on the GoDaddy server, "close" the connection with that account (without deleting the folders in Outlook) and then setup the new email (mail.ourbusinessname.com)?

I have to do it with 4 separate email account and I have a feel it's going to be annoying and tedious. Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kitsch! posted:

What would be the simplest way to do this, for someone who is generally computer-ignorant:

The small business I work for just switched nameservers from GoDaddy to Dreamhost. We've been using Outlook for viewing/receiving/sending mails with IMAP. What would be the best way to import the folders that are on the GoDaddy server, "close" the connection with that account (without deleting the folders in Outlook) and then setup the new email (mail.ourbusinessname.com)?

I have to do it with 4 separate email account and I have a feel it's going to be annoying and tedious. Thanks!

Did you enable Google Apps through Dreamhost? If you do that you can maintain Outlook compatibility, but the Google Apps mail interface also has a function that imports all mail from the old mailservers to the new accounts.

Harms
Dec 4, 2006
from outerspace
I just got a new laptop and I'm looking for a good antivirus software. Preferably something that's lightweight, minimally invasive and good for gaming (i.e. doesn't pop up a million windows all the time, or randomly start scanning and slow my system to a crawl). Had some bad experiences with programs like that in the past. Also something free or reasonably cheap would be great, although I don't mind spending more for something that's worth it.

Also, is there any way to turn the auto update for Windows 7 off? Sort of annoying having to click postpone over and over when I don't want to restart.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Harms posted:

I just got a new laptop and I'm looking for a good antivirus software. Preferably something that's lightweight, minimally invasive and good for gaming (i.e. doesn't pop up a million windows all the time, or randomly start scanning and slow my system to a crawl). Had some bad experiences with programs like that in the past. Also something free or reasonably cheap would be great, although I don't mind spending more for something that's worth it.

Isn't this a job for Microsoft's own MSE? (Is it still free?)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harms posted:

Also, is there any way to turn the auto update for Windows 7 off? Sort of annoying having to click postpone over and over when I don't want to restart.

Yes, but you really, really, shouldn't if you don't already know how (and especially if you can't google it). 4 hours is more than enough time to find a place to restart.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Here's a really stupid question: What's the deal with FYAD? Is it a circlejerk of obscure inside jokes or is it just the nonsensical shitpost extravaganza? I really feel like I should know this by now, but I want to make sure.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

Isn't this a job for Microsoft's own MSE? (Is it still free?)

Seconded. I have been happily using MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for several months. It's quick, non-invasive, free, and doesn't seem to slow down my computer appreciably.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Have! It's `could have' not `could of', dipshit
Can anyone tell me about a good over the counter medication for sinus colds/head colds. I used to use sudafed but thanks to the tweakers that doesn't work anymore.

E: :canada:

kalonji fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 29, 2010

Harms
Dec 4, 2006
from outerspace

baquerd posted:

Yes, but you really, really, shouldn't if you don't already know how (and especially if you can't google it). 4 hours is more than enough time to find a place to restart.

You're right, it's not that bad when you catch it, and probably more of a hassle in the long run turning it offer. Was just annoyed when I made the post, since I completely missed it somehow and my computer rebooted right when I was in the middle of something. I just can't help but remember Vista and all the times it did something similar, but from what I've seen so far Windows 7 doesn't seem nearly as bad.

And I just downloaded MSE, seems to be just what I was looking for; I tried scanning with it while running a game and didn't notice and appreciable slowdown or hiccups. And being free makes it all the more appealing. Thanks for the heads up on both counts.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

kalonji posted:

Can anyone tell me about a good over the counter medication for sinus colds/head colds. I used to use sudafed but thanks to the tweakers that doesn't work anymore.

Pseudoephedrine isn't the worst, but it's not amazing. Personally I've found taking loratadine every day helps to eventually stop the frequency of my sinus headaches.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

fishmech posted:

Did you enable Google Apps through Dreamhost? If you do that you can maintain Outlook compatibility, but the Google Apps mail interface also has a function that imports all mail from the old mailservers to the new accounts.

I haven't (haven't even accessed the Dreamhost account, just got the nameservers from the gal doing the web design) but I will now! Sounds fantastically simple. *crosses fingers*

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with being the youngest person at my workplace/knows the most (not saying much) about computers, so I'm automatically the tech person to fix everything.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Keatonguy posted:

Here's a really stupid question: What's the deal with FYAD? Is it a circlejerk of obscure inside jokes or is it just the nonsensical shitpost extravaganza? I really feel like I should know this by now, but I want to make sure.

It's a nonsensical shitpost extravaganza, ironically.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

kalonji posted:

You can't get pseudoephedrine at all? Down here in the US you have to go to the pharmacy counter, show ID and sign for it, but it's way better than the phenylephrine crap that's on the shelf. The other product I use is called 4 Way Nasal Spray, and it works pretty well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kalonji posted:

My OTC of choice is Theraflu. I bought a shitton of it a while back because it was on sale or something, and I seem to recall that that the formulation had changed when I eventually needed to buy more. It still works well for me though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

kalonji posted:

I think there are two main OTC sinus medications: pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine. Depending on where you live Sudafed may or may not contain pseudoephedrine (if it doesn't, it has phenylephrine), so look at the label. Go to your Shoppers or whatever and buy the generic versions.

Like a previous poster, I have had some success by using antihistamines, I think there are three main types available OTC: chlorpheniramine, loratadine, and diphenhydramine. Again, these are sold as generics, so save your money.

Cold and flu meds mostly have a mix of the above. For example, the previously mentioned Theraflu has chlorpheniramine and pseudoephedrine (along with acetaminophen [AKA tylenol] and dextromethorphan [a cough suppressant]). You can buy the mix, although it's probably cheaper to buy the individual drugs and mix them yourself.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008

Keatonguy posted:

Here's another question about somethingawful nonsese: what's with the little bit of text everyone's got beneath their name?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

kinkster posted:

Here's another question about somethingawful nonsese: what's with the little bit of text everyone's got beneath their name?
Those are generally self-chosen (you get to choose what you want your title to say), but sometimes the staff will choose a title that better reflects the type of person a poster is (you don't want this). If you buy yourself a title (with or without an image), you get to put in what you want it to say.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

WillieWestwood posted:

Those are generally self-chosen (you get to choose what you want your title to say), but sometimes the staff will choose a title that better reflects the type of person a poster is (you don't want this). If you buy yourself a title (with or without an image), you get to put in what you want it to say.

You can also buy a title for someone else for slightly more money.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
19 y/o girlfriend got a PODP and minor in possession. Can she get these removed from her record and will it cause any problems if she wants to transfer to another university?

I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

DELETED posted:

You can also buy a title for someone else for slightly more money.

On that topic I'll ask again: Anyone know the deal with the forums gift certificate or buying others upgrades avatars?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

On that topic I'll ask again: Anyone know the deal with the forums gift certificate or buying others upgrades avatars?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the deal" with them...I assume you just click on whichever and input your credit card number, and the email address of where the cert. is going? If you are buying someone else an avatar or what have you, it's the same deal only you would input the username and upload the image/write the text.
I imagine it's pretty straightforward, though I've never done it (yet, muhaha!).

I was gifted this account, and it came by email, if that helps. If someone didn't know the email was coming, they might have it in their junk mail.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Barometer posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "the deal" with them...I assume you just click on whichever and input your credit card number, and the email address of where the cert. is going? If you are buying someone else an avatar or what have you, it's the same deal only you would input the username and upload the image/write the text.
I imagine it's pretty straightforward, though I've never done it (yet, muhaha!).

I was gifted this account, and it came by email, if that helps. If someone didn't know the email was coming, they might have it in their junk mail.

Yea, that's exactly what I am talking about. Where do I go do that now? It used to be a link up there ^^^.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Yea, that's exactly what I am talking about. Where do I go do that now? It used to be a link up there ^^^.

I'm still seeing them at the top of the page, "purchase Account" or "avatar", etc..

Edit, also at the very, very top is a "buy forums stuff" grey bar that has all the options in it. :)

Barometer fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 29, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

quote:

This form allows you to change your custom title avatar and text for an account that you own or an account in your shopping cart that you are about to purchase. All titles are subject to admin review.

There used to be links for Gift Cert, Others Avatar, etc.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

There used to be links for Gift Cert, Others Avatar, etc.

There's something about gift certs coming soon,("We hope to have gift certificates available soon. Thank you for your patience!") so maybe that stuff hasn't been added back, yet. You're right, though, those options don't seem to be there anymore.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Well at least I have confirmation that it isn't just me.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm trying to find out where I can purchase the shirt worn by "the girl" in the 2007 film Timecrimes.

This is what it looks like, any ideas?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

dokmo posted:

Pseudoepehedrine chat...

I don't know about up in Canuckistan, but down in the states liquids containing pseudoephedrine aren't restricted because it can't be used for meth production. There's not an enormous selection of liquid decongestants, but they work just as well as pills.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

the posted:

I'm trying to find out where I can purchase the shirt worn by "the girl" in the 2007 film Timecrimes.

no but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a reasonable facsimile of that through some online tshirt shop. Just search google images for "walking cat" with the clip art option checked and it shouldnt be hard to reproduce.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Keatonguy posted:

FYAD is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In FYAD you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the FYAD motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

the posted:

Schweinhund posted:

no but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a reasonable facsimile of that through some online tshirt shop. Just search google images for "walking cat" with the clip art option checked and it shouldnt be hard to reproduce.
Agreed. In fact, someone just did it for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Where can I find a book or website that catalogs interviews with or stories about people who have woken up from long comas? In more depth than news blurbs, obviously.