Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Doodlebug posted:

Reading Allan Carr's book after 3 days of not smoking.

TERROR HITS ME IN AN AWESOME WAVE as he tells me it is imperative that I continue to smoke while I read his book.

Should I go buy a pack right now?

gently caress!

EDIT - ok ok ok only a couple paragraphs later he says "don't start it up if you've already quit"

I just want to say: Best of luck to you. I started reading his book two days ago and I'm only about 60 pages in but I'm already feeling like it will be easy to quit. I'm taking his advice and finishing the pack I have while I finish the book but I've already cut down to smoking ~twice an hour to smoking ~4 cigarettes a day :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
I quit smoking cigarettes about half a year ago. Cold turkey from 20-30 cigs a day for 5 years to 0.

Nowadays I only smoke green and a fine cigar every now and then on weekends. Not only do I feel alot better, I also have much more money available to invest into music equipment, videogames and other nice things.

So, if you're thinking about quitting, stop thinking about it, just do it, it's not as hard as you think it is.

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Just a theory from some random person, but I think quitting time and time again, your body gets used to the withdrawls and it doesn't hit you quite as hard.

Good luck, I'm on day 3 now. I've quit smoking, gone from getting up at 8 am to 5 am, quit drinking as much sugar, and trying to eat less in general. I don't think my body knows what the gently caress is going on.

Hmm that could be. I've tried 8? 9? times quitting I think. And each time it seemed to get progressively harder- as in I could go less time without getting really nervous and antsy. It was like I was dreading the awfulness to come so it occurred earlier or something. I am doing a lot better about not thinking about quitting, not dwelling on it.

I really think what has to do this time is that there is nothing worse than a cute boy leaving in the middle of the night because I stink of stale smoke. Smoking is less important than cuddling and morning sex. But that's just my opinion...

But it's still going well!

Good luck to you too!

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Alright I'm in I've been on the nic for a few years at about a pack a day and I've been wanting to quit for awhile, been working on going longer and longer periods without a smoke and I think I am ready to kick it completely.

Doodlebug
Apr 23, 2007

imma doodlebug
I'm on day 6 now. It's become much easier.

I expected the extreme irritability, but I've been surprised that the biggest challenge so far has been an overwhelming sense of tragedy. Grief for my lost friend the cigarette. Grief for how he's allowed me to go outside for a mental break whenever I need it, especially during social situations.

Well now that I'm out of the 5 day slump I can say with confidence to anyone else who relates - IT GETS MUCH EASIER. Just be sad and grieve if you need to but do not resurrect your dead friend the cigarette, he only comes back as a zombie and you will have to kill him again anyway.

I've got plenty of time left to gently caress up, but I took an hour and a half long walk today and couldn't believe how much my sense of smell and breathing have improved. I'm pretty sure I'll take up walking pretty hardcore, even bought some new shoes.

Anyway good luck to all. I still get pangs of sadness every little while but it's really easy to find a reason to be glad you're not smoking if you tough it out a little bit and figure out something to do.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Almost exactly a year ago I was on Chantix, managed to quit completely for six months, and then fell off the wagon in a pretty bad way, and now I'm back on Chantix again. This stuff really does work, but after a while it's still gonna be on you - it's not some magic bullet. Either way, this is coming up on day three of no cigarettes, and it's easier than I thought it would be. I expect the worst withdrawals to come here in a day or two, but I'm prepared for it. Realized the habit was costing me about $150 a month, and with a huge trip to India planned for the new year I really needed the extra money.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
I passed a month the other day and never even realised. Honestly, the only time I think about smoking now is when I see this thread, or someone asks how Im going. THEN I think about it, but only to work out how long its been. I had one wierd moment the other day when I woke up at 3am and in my half awake state was telling myself 'Youve got to get up and have a smoke' before I realised that, no, I dont.

Im gobsmacked at how easy its been. Ive quit 3 times (yeah I know) where it stuck, and theyve all been easy-ish, but this time.... drat, I wish I knew the secret coz Id make a loving fortune.

Im a slightly fat, horribly lazy bloke and I dont know if its just because its comming on to spring here or its the not smoking, but Ive got off my arse and done a shitload more than I normaly would over the last few weeks, to the point where I also think Ive managed to lose a bit of weight as well. Yay me I guess.

Anyway, just swinging by to say keep it up goons. And to those lurking and THINKING about it, just do it. It isnt THAT bad at all! (and itll be the easiest $400/500 a month, or whatever it works out to be, that youll ever save.)

RankWeis
Jul 10, 2010
Jan 01 2010, No new year resolution, I just got ridiculously sick and couldn't move to get up and smoke, so I thought, why not quit? I did, and it was really simple, until April-ish, where I went on and off cigarettes in 2 week intervals, then started back up again heavy in july. I figured I had no trouble quitting before, so why would it be different now?

Well, here's the difference- I tried quitting about two weeks ago, lasted two days, but I'm on a diet too, trying to lose weight. Increased appetite, and this loving diet.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this? I'm on day 1, and not feeling any kind of increased anything, maybe it was a fluke last time, but seriously, I can munch on carrots all day but I'm just constantly in a state of hunger.

So, anyone got any advice with the increased hunger besides 'give into it'?

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

My first 24 hours without a cigarette. Done.
I'm not a massively heavy smoker, I can make a small pouch of baccy last 2 days, but I'm very asthmatic and woefully unfit. I coughed up something the other day that looked like something from a John Carpenter film and decided to quit.
I'm using nicotine lozenges and so far it's not too bad. I quite like having the minty taste and I don't want to spoil that by smoking.
Wish me luck!

Doodlebug
Apr 23, 2007

imma doodlebug

RankWeis posted:

Seven days in. I've been making batches of fancy tuna salad. Three cans of tuna, diced red onion, diced apple, half cup of raisins, diced carrot, crushed up pretzels, sweet relish, and some miracle whip.

The poo poo tastes really good and I've been making little tacos out of it using a single slice of 100 percent wheat bread. I eat 5 of these a day in addition to some pretzels, bananas, and grapes.

Also drinking tons of water because it seems to help curb the hunger if I'm left unsatisfied after one my little tuna tacos.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

Day 2. Done.

I'm trying to do more exercise to take my mind of things. Bought new running shoes.
Attempted Week 1 Day 1 of Couch to 5K plan. Gave up 15 minutes in due to utter inability to breathe. I think I might have quite just in time.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

RankWeis posted:

Try sunflower seeds. They're tasty, but they keep your hands busy and it's so much work getting to the actual seed you're sure not to gain any weight...

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
After smoking 2 packs a day for the last two years, I put them down last night. I'm going on 17 hours now without a cigarette.

Nicorette has been my savior.

I can't wait to go to bed... not a lot of cravings, but the ones I get are STRONG.

I miss the every-two-hours break at work... and I missed that first smoke on the way to work and the first one after I leave the office.

I DON'T miss that godawful stale smoke smell in my clothes, and the strong tobacco smell after I've smoked.

Looking forward to the smells of Christmas and Thanksgiving this year.

Help me, Rhonda. :suicide:

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

RankWeis posted:

Smoke weed and exercise more. Probably not at the same time. It's working for me!

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
Today is 6 weeks without smoking, and going fuckin' strong. No cravings, hell I actually tend to forget that I used to be a smoker quite often. The smell of cigarettes tends to make me feel a little sick. I really can't see myself slipping back into it every again. I feel fantastic.

Best of luck to all of you currently trying to quit. I know it can be hard as gently caress, but once you find what works for you, it'll be easy as punching a baby.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Probably been 3 and a half months since I stopped buying cigs. have bummed one or two every once in awhile from a friend, but not very often.

I don't know why, but I have an awfully fierce craving today. Started on my drive to work and now I just can't shake it. I'm going to hold out, but this just really sucks.

iraqniphobia fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 28, 2010

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO

Bloody August posted:

The smell of cigarettes tends to make me feel a little sick.

This is the point I need to get to.

I smoked for 20 years, gave it up for 7 years and picked it up again for 2. I always hated the smell on my fingers and clothes, but I remember as a non-smoker how stray smoke repulsed me.

Day 2, chewing 4mg Nicorette like a mad man, but honestly I don't see going back right now. Not after going through the last 36 hours.

I'm feeling better now.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I swear by my e-cig. If you run out of smokes and have one to switch to it's drat near effortless.

Also you get the strange and wonderful sensation of thwarting all the aggressively evangelical health advocates in your life. Sure, you're no longer filling your lungs with tar but somehow you still get the dirty looks from the yoga and macrobiotics crowd.

I know it seems petty but for some people this is very, very important.

RankWeis posted:

Water.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

RankWeis posted:

Drink water and exercise. Eating foods high in fiber helps a lot too, have an apple, muffin or whatever. Eat a salad before a meal, you'll be surprised how quickly it becomes habit forming. I used to never eat greens when I was a smoker, nowadays I eat a salad at lunch/dinner and get cranky if I can't. Have smaller portions and don't eat out, make everything yourself. It's a pain but it works and before you know it you're losing weight and saving money.

For some people though the effort to quit smoking is enough on its own without adding increased pressure related to diet. So if you're having trouble doing one or the other, just remember that being overweight is easily curable while cancer is not.

RankWeis
Jul 10, 2010
So with your guys' advice in hand, I was planning on stacking up on sunflower seeds, weed water and a gym membership, but it's been surprisingly easy this time.

I don't know if this advice will help anyone else, but sometimes I would get that feeling like "I really don't want to give into this craving right now, a cigarette sounds like a terrible idea"...maybe that's just me though. But every time I've quit while in that mindset, it's been really easy.

What hasn't been easy - "I'll quit on x day" or "One more pack and I'm done"

I've got a single cigarette in the last pack I bought, and this is for my own self esteem here – I look at that and I know I'm not smoking because of myself, and not because I don't have a cigarette with me. It's a big gently caress you to Marlboro red's.

So anyway, I haven't had a single craving or any desire to start again, even though I hang out with my friends who are always smoking, and I've even managed to not smoke while I got drunk. Two hours away from the four day mark and I'm going strong!

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Doodlebug posted:

I'm on day 6 now. It's become much easier.

I expected the extreme irritability, but I've been surprised that the biggest challenge so far has been an overwhelming sense of tragedy. Grief for my lost friend the cigarette. Grief for how he's allowed me to go outside for a mental break whenever I need it, especially during social situations.

Well now that I'm out of the 5 day slump I can say with confidence to anyone else who relates - IT GETS MUCH EASIER. Just be sad and grieve if you need to but do not resurrect your dead friend the cigarette, he only comes back as a zombie and you will have to kill him again anyway.

Thank you for this analogy as it really is a relevant way to think about it. I only smoke at work but my job is fairly stressful which makes taking quick smoke breaks tempting. Luckily I think I can deal with the stress, but what I'll want to have is something to keep my mouth occupied, probably chewing gum and lots of water. Snus were alright but let's face it, I need to kill off the nicotine addiction and not just the smoking one.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Has anyone tried this?

http://www.dissolvabletobacco.com/

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

KingEup posted:

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.dissolvabletobacco.com/

Anything that I can buy in a convenience store off the wall immediately garners distrust in me.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
I'm 35. I started smoking when I was 9 (don't judge me).for the past 15 years I have been a 2+ pack a day smoker. Last week I quit for the nth time. One day of nicotine gum and lollipop sticks, then the rest cold turkey. I don't feel wonderful, my voice has gone to poo poo, and I have frequent, very mild panic attacks. Other than that, I'm doing really really well. For me, the biggest help has been cleaning my house. I smoked indoors, so I'm training myself to think "If I want a cigarette, it must be because there's still smoke stains somewhere. GET TO CLEANING!". It also helps burn off that anxiety energy.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Hah... yeah, the day I quit I had to ask my wife to go out to the garage, clean up my desk, get rid of the ashtray and dump the trash before I got home. Not only does the stale smell make me wretch, I didn't want to be tempted to go diving for butts.

Day 3... All is well. Almost out of gum, but I grabbed a snus package just in case I feel the need to choke the poo poo out of someone.

I'm now spending the $50 a week on clothes and dining out. Sweeeeet benefit, that.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Anyone got advice how how to deal with a boyfriend that smokes? I've been doing so good but I have a tendency to relapse when he is around. I finally understand that whole kissing a smoker tastes like licking an ashtray poo poo.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Dear quit smoking thread,

I failed. I was good for three months with no problems and then I had a moment of weakness a few weeks ago after a lovely night out at a bar and bought a loving pack while half blacked out. I ended up smoking half of them that night and then giving the rest to a random stranger on the street when I was walking my dog the next day. I went a week with no problems then I started buying again. I think I'm on my 5th pack or so now in the last two weeks. I told myself after the last one that I was done and this little relapse wasn't going to take hold of me. Then I picked up another loving pack this afternoon. I know I can beat this.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Get an e-cig and use it till the thought of smoking tobacco becomes genuinely unappealing. Then start tapering down the nicotine content and quit whenever you feel ready.

Seriously man, anyone having trouble quitting need to get an e-cig.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

frozenpeas posted:

Get an e-cig and use it till the thought of smoking tobacco becomes genuinely unappealing. Then start tapering down the nicotine content and quit whenever you feel ready.

Seriously man, anyone having trouble quitting need to get an e-cig.

Ecigs aren't for everyone though. It's an expensive thing to try out and fail on, but it does work for quite a few people.

Biggest problem I had with an Ecig was how much upkeep you had to do. Multiple batteries, niquid, cases, whatever else you had to take care of. Making sure poo poo was charged and all the other mundane things. Cigarettes are so much easier.

Jows: What did you do to quit the first time? Do it again as many times as necessary. You can beat this.

I've had two cigarettes since I quit (A week or so ago). Many people do relapse. Just figure out what you did wrong, quit again and be more prepared for the temptation next time. Quitting something should not take so much work.

TheDownwardDog
Oct 1, 2010

Because I've lost control of my life.
I've been smoking for a little over 2 years now. I haven't quite crossed the pack a day threshold, but the amount of cigarettes I smoke is never anywhere near "good". I'm addicted to cigarettes like nothing else, really. It hasn't effected my health dramatically yet... Well not noticeably, I still cough fairly cleanly and my lung capacity isn't completely shot (In the sense that running isn't an obstacle, my lung capacity is decent). I've tried and failed numerous times to quit, and it's been really hard. Especially in conjunction with the spontaneousness of the stress I've been facing for the past few years. Right now, smoking is a huge crutch in my life. People notice how bad of an addict I am and it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't care. My brother's nicknamed me "Boagie fiend" (They call them boagies in New Jersey...) I'm hoping I can quit within a few months, but I'm always hoping for that. I wish something would make me wake up and realize I have to take the first step now. Nothing has though, and that's a real shame.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Gothmog1065 posted:

Ecigs aren't for everyone though. It's an expensive thing to try out and fail on, but it does work for quite a few people.

A Janty Ego (the best mainstream e-cig) starter kit costs 35 bucks online. You can buy an entire year's worth of kit for $250 dollars. How much does it cost to smoke for a full year, or even a week?

I don't see how you can fail on an e-cig. It's a soft way to quit, you can keep smoking while you learn to use it and eventually you will come to see that it's far, far superior. Find a flavour you like and it becomes even easier - I love the coconut flavours.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171692

Here's the thread.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

Doing ok so far, I've slipped up and had about 3 off a friend over the past few days, but considering the amount I used to smoke, that's not bad. I think I'm over the horrible nicotine withdrawl stage now, I mainly want the odd one for something to do or to be social.
I've also lost half a stone. It's probably all the stuff I was coughing up last week.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
With flu season coming up, my personal advice to those who wish to quit is to go out and catch the flu. Really, get as loving sick as you can. I smoked for five years and didn't really want to quit until I got horribly sick several years ago, wasn't able to smoke for over a week, and by the time I was feeling better I had practically lost the cravings and just decided not to have another smoke. Three years later now, I haven't touched another cigarette, and as a result I was able to pick up running and ultimately lost nearly 50 pounds.

Also I now I get sick like that a lot less often.

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

It's been 2 weeks since I last decided to quit smoking again. Success and failure this time.

I have stopped smoking at work and while driving. It's nice that I'm breaking that compulsion to chain smoke when bored. I don't even think about smoking when driving home or working anymore. However, I still am working on not smoking when I'm really stressed. I bought 2 packs during this time =/ So it's getting better even if I'm still kind of smoking. This week I want to not smoke completely. It feels so good not smoking for days at a time, for smelling good, not feeling antsy for the next fix. I just break down when I'm feeling really depressed or stressed.

How do you manage to not want to grab a pack when you're having relationship problems or life problems for that matter? It's hard to keep the end goal in sight.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

frozenpeas posted:

A Janty Ego (the best mainstream e-cig) starter kit costs 35 bucks online. You can buy an entire year's worth of kit for $250 dollars. How much does it cost to smoke for a full year, or even a week?

I don't see how you can fail on an e-cig. It's a soft way to quit, you can keep smoking while you learn to use it and eventually you will come to see that it's far, far superior. Find a flavour you like and it becomes even easier - I love the coconut flavours.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171692

Here's the thread.

Holy poo poo that stuff has come down since I tried it.

Either way, It's been a week since I've had a cigarette, and about two now since I "quit" (Had two since then). I've had some really strong cravings this time for some reason. I'm getting through them but drat.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Pack a day for the past 11 years. Smoked my last one about five minutes ago and gave away the last half of the carton to one of the interns here. (The fact that I can't afford to buy any more until payday might help.)

My doctor won't give me Chantix, so I'm going cold-turkey.

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
I mentioned that I was doing lozenge based nicotine replacement therapy. Started on July 1st and went off them completely three days ago. I didn't have the willpower to drop the habit cold turkey and this helped out a lot, though spitting up chalky goop all the time isn't for everyone. Nicotine replacement therapy isn't easy, just easier. I feel pretty good, though now I'm terrorizing this bag of hard candies while I work through this final adjustment to my dosage (zero :v:)

Console Parade fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 11, 2010

Sadisto
Nov 13, 2006
I've been smoking for 15 years now at a pack a day for almost the whole time. I'm sick of smoking, sick of not being able to breathe, and sick of paying out the rear end. Cigarettes are still cheap here in Louisiana ($3 for Pall Mall and about $6 for Camels) but it adds up. Just walking across campus winds me and I'm loving fed up with that poo poo.

I tried quitting last year with Carr's book, but only made it 3 days. He makes a lot of good points, but I just couldn't reason away the urges to smoke. Also the whole "repeating things until you're repeating them as well" thing annoyed the hell out of me.

I've got a doctor's appointment on Tuesday, and I'm planning on starting Chantix.

demozthenes posted:

My doctor won't give me Chantix, so I'm going cold-turkey.

What reasons would a doctor have, aside from the health warnings that the company states, to not prescribe Chantix? The only reason I'm going to the doctor is to get this prescription, and I don't have insurance so just seeing the guy is going to cost me. It'll be a waste if he doesn't give me the scrip. Can doctors at free clinics prescribe it?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Alright, here to vent.

So my doc has wanted me to quit forever and I've finally gotten to the point where i just can't afford to smoke, so I said fine how do I do this. Doc perscribed Wellbutrin and holy poo poo it was a god send for quitting cold turkey. I've been smoke free for three days now woohoo!

Thing is I still feel like poo poo. The smokers flu has far from gone away. My body is in a horrible haze. How long does it seriously take most people who quit cold turkey for all the crazy physical addiction problems to go away? I have no urge for a cigarette honestly, I just want to not feel horrible. I feel hoorrrrriiblleee.

I'm assuming the poo poo feeling is a bellcurve that reaches a peak at 36 hours, and tapers down but I just am curious how long this can go on for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
It's 3 days to get over the physical addiction to nicotine. The rest is psychological. Munching on stuff helps, unless you were one of those crazy people who would smoke and eat at the same time.

• Locked thread