Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Naky posted:

In Canada, a brand new Viper and the SLK are both six digit cars. What their prices are in the US or whatever I don't know and don't really care because honestly, gently caress US car pricing.

Are you confusing SLK with SL? The most expensive SLK, the SLK 55 AMG, starts at $85k. A viper is just a smidge below $100k, but you're suggesting there's no difference between $100k and $200k? Maybe some people just have $100k and want the fastest car they can buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Throatwarbler posted:

Are you confusing SLK with SL? The most expensive SLK, the SLK 55 AMG, starts at $85k. A viper is just a smidge below $100k, but you're suggesting there's no difference between $100k and $200k? Maybe some people just have $100k and want the fastest car they can buy?

Starts at. Add the performance package, because you have to to make it anywhere near comparable, and you're at 94k CND. That's not including freight and taxes but I suppose that puts it at 'just a smidge below 100k' too? And no matter what we argue, the minority of people that only have 100k to spend and want the fastest car they can buy aren't the market the Viper's trying to cater to right now by making it more luxurious. Obviously, because that market didn't make them much money before. That means they're trying to compete for the upper class and image whores and I honestly doubt they're going to convince those kinds of people to buy a Dodge for the same reasons why the upper scale business class wouldn't ever be caught dead in a Genesis Equus no matter how awesome a car it is or how much value it is - to them it's still a Hyundai.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Naky posted:

Starts at. Add the performance package, because you have to to make it anywhere near comparable, and you're at 94k CND. That's not including freight and taxes but I suppose that puts it at 'just a smidge below 100k' too?

Yes, of course every SLK on the road is the top of the line AMG model with every single option. Boy there sure are a lot of wealthy people living around me, with all the $85,000 Mustangs and $175,000 Boxsters putting around.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So how do you goons think the Hyundai Genesis is going to turn out?

I was doing a bit of googling around for "affordable sporty luxury cars around 20kish" and I started coming across discussions where the Hyundai Genesis is mentioned. I keep reading about this car all over the place.

Some people think it's going to be best thing since sliced bread and other people think it's over hyped and you'll be able to buy one used for 5k in 5 years and that it shouldn't be counted on since "it's doing to Luxury what the Lexus LS400 did when it was first introduced." (I'm not even sure what that last bit means. Anyone?)

I don't know much about it myself but when I first saw it I have to admit I was surprised by how nice looking it is.

So what do you goons think?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think they look better in real life than in photos. But the 2.0 really needs more power and the interior is average.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

-Blackadder- posted:

Some people think it's going to be best thing since sliced bread and other people think it's over hyped and you'll be able to buy one used for 5k in 5 years and that it shouldn't be counted on since "it's doing to Luxury what the Lexus LS400 did when it was first introduced." (I'm not even sure what that last bit means. Anyone?)

There's 2 cars called the Genesis, one is the little 2 door sports car, the other is a larger luxury sedan, not really the same size as the LS400, closer to the GS or Infiniti M35/56. They have the same name because initially there was some speculation that "Genesis" could be spun off as a new brand of upmarket cars.

quote:

I don't know much about it myself but when I first saw it I have to admit I was surprised by how nice looking it is.

So what do you goons think?

If you're talking about the coupe, it's basically another 240SX. It has sold quite poorly and will probably fail in the US market as the 240SX has failed - People who want these cars usually can't afford them, the people who can afford them all want BMWs and not Hyundais, and the Mustang is a better deal anyway. In markets outside of North America it will do well, since Mustangs and BMWs virtually everywhere else in the world are much more expensive than they are in North America.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

quote:

Nissan ad exec: We want this ad to make the Juke look good. 
Ad agency: Well, we could show a close up of the Juke right after a showing really butch transvestite, so it'll look good by comparison. 
Nissan ad exec: Perfect! Let's run with it!

And so they did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The sad part of the Genesis coupe is if it would have made just a bit more power, I would have given it consideration for my next car.

I've owned a WRX for the past 9 years that I intend to keep so I wouldn't have had to worry about driving the Genesis in the winter. I just couldn't get over the fact that it was slower than what I was already driving let alone a lot slower than the 2011 version of my car and it wasn't significantly cheaper.

So yeah. It's too expensive for the people who would like to buy it, but at the $25k-$35k price bracket it doesn't stand out. You can go a TON faster in a straight line with a Mustang, you can get more refinement (and speed) out of a G35/370z for just a bit more. It doesn't match the price/performance/versatility of the 2011 WRX which overlaps in price almost exactly.

I really is a victim of sounding great in the run-up to release, but being outclassed by the time it got to market. They are going to make for some nice used cars though with Hyundai's depreciation.

Chupacabra
May 20, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

If you're talking about the coupe, it's basically another 240SX. It has sold quite poorly and will probably fail in the US market as the 240SX has failed - People who want these cars usually can't afford them, the people who can afford them all want BMWs and not Hyundais, and the Mustang is a better deal anyway. In markets outside of North America it will do well, since Mustangs and BMWs virtually everywhere else in the world are much more expensive than they are in North America.

I think the discontinued Tiburon is a better comparison to the 240SX.

The 2.0T is a little underpowered, but it is quick enough. With a few simple mods (like an ECU reflash) it gets better. There are rumors flying around that the 2012 model will get the same 274hp engine that is going into the Turbo Sonata. That would kick some rear end.

If you are looking for an affordable entry level sports car that is a little unique, the gencoupe is not a bad choice.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

TE37s own.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wamsutta posted:

I don't think he's cross-shopping poo poo. He was going to get a Fiesta, but since there's a chance he can get an RS, he's waiting.

Yeah, this. I never thought Ford would even try to sell the RS in the states. I'd like a smaller efficient car that's still comfortable to ride in, so the Fiesta is a great candidate, but if the RS is coming then hell with it I'll buy that and sell the Mustang.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
http://www.audiworld.com/news/10/audi-ttrs-confirmed/

Anyone post about the TTRS coming to the US yet? I recall reading a thread here or elsewhere about a guy that got to drive one at a meet, but that was when AoA was still considering bringing them over. Guess it's final now.

Yet another gorgeous car that I will never have the privilege of driving for three weeks at a time then working on for six weeks at a time, then driving for three more weeks then...well, if you've driven a VW, you get it :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah, this. I never thought Ford would even try to sell the RS in the states. I'd like a smaller efficient car that's still comfortable to ride in, so the Fiesta is a great candidate, but if the RS is coming then hell with it I'll buy that and sell the Mustang.

Well if you really want to complicate things: 2012 Fiesta ST

I would buy this so hard to put in the driveway next to my MS3. Doubly so if they sell it as a Mazdaspeed2.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well if you really want to complicate things: 2012 Fiesta ST

That will never be sold in the US. The best we can hope for is a 5 door hatch with "sport suspension" and maybe some seats with more bolstering.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oxbrain posted:

That will never be sold in the US. The best we can hope for is a 5 door hatch with "sport suspension" and maybe some seats with more bolstering.

I can dream :sigh: I love my MS3 but would love a version of it about 1000lb lighter, which the Fiesta / Mazda2 already are...but not that far down on power.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/09/21/2014-lotus-elite-coupe-to-offer-optional-kers-hybrid-system/

New Lotus Elite.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ah yes, the Lotus SL65 AMG I've always wanted. :rolleye:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
KERS sounds interesting but yeah that's not the Lotus I love.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

oxbrain posted:

I think the best we can hope for as a hot Fiesta would be if they shoehorned the Focus' 2.0 DI four banger in there. And even then, it'd be $20K+ to start.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That lotus looks like it was designed by a Hyundai designer.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
A nearly 3600lb 2+2 Lotus kind of seems like them losing the plot. I mean, I guess it looks nice enough, but was the Evora that big of a failure as a GT that they needed to go out and make their very own IS-F?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The comp point for the new Lotus is supposedly the Ferrari 599. The comp point for the Evora is like Porsche Cayman/low end 911.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

A5H posted:

That lotus looks like it was designed by a Hyundai designer.

I see a lot of the S2000 in the front while the cockpit is speaking Celica to me.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A 990kg, V10, all-carbon Lamborghini is pretty AI right?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Goddamn. :aaaaa::fh:

I mean, with that amount of weight, the car probably can't be physically any larger than the amount of material it takes to wrap around the engine, two seats, and four wheels.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.
The new 599 APERTA. Only 80 to be made, estimated around £340,000 each and already sold out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slothophile posted:

The new 599 APERTA. Only 80 to be made, estimated around £340,000 each and already sold out.

Ferrari Z06

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linedance posted:

Ferrari Z06

Needs T-Tops.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

-Blackadder- posted:

If I don't get an MX-5 next year, I'm getting a Gen Coupe. I love these cars, I hope they stick around, but they probably will follow the 240sx out of the US pretty quick. Everyone in DFW seems to prefer the Mustang.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

If I don't get an MX-5 next year, I'm getting a Gen Coupe. I love these cars, I hope they stick around, but they probably will follow the 240sx out of the US pretty quick. Everyone in DFW seems to prefer the Mustang.

Why would you get one over a Mustang? The interior is less offensive but that's about all I can think of.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

sanchez posted:

Why would you get one over a Mustang? The interior is less offensive but that's about all I can think of.

It's cheaper? and has a spooled option

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

travisray2004 posted:

It's cheaper? and has a spooled option

It's a whopping $145 cheaper base GenCoupe vs. base Mustang. a base V6 GenCoupe is almost $3,000 more than a base V6 Mustang. Also, the Mustang gets better gas mileage and is faster than the 3.8 Genesis. So I don't think "cheaper" is a very good argument. It is cool you can get a turbo in it though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, spool means turbocharger, not differential replacement? I thought that sounded weird.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

InitialDave posted:

Oh, spool means turbocharger, not differential replacement? I thought that sounded weird.

Never heard it referred to that way, a spool is a non-differential differential displacemet. Anyway, I love turbochargers and such but a new 5.0 is a bit hard to say no to...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

oxbrain posted:

That will never be sold in the US.

The Focus ST is coming, EcoBoost, Recaros and all, and since everyone covering the Fiesta said that it was going to get an EcoBoost version I don't think the Fiesta ST coming here is that out of the realm of possibility.

Probably won't come here as a three-door, but everything else...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The Focus ST is coming, EcoBoost, Recaros and all, and since everyone covering the Fiesta said that it was going to get an EcoBoost version I don't think the Fiesta ST coming here is that out of the realm of possibility.

Probably won't come here as a three-door, but everything else...

Since we're back on the topic, I just realized last night - I'm essentially hoping for something along the lines of a Mini Cooper S, or the Fiat 500 Abarth, except without the long-term ownership costs of a BMW or an Italian car. Not that there's any solid news on how the hell the US Fiat 500 Abarth will be priced or configured anyway.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

They are doing the driveshafts and suspension arms near to where I am and I've taken a tour of the shop doing them. While the driveshafts were neat, the suspension arms are crazy. They're built up from hundreds of layers of dye-cut prepreg carbon cloth set into a mold with aluminum inserts for the bearings and bushings, then the mold is squeezed shut and its heated to 400 deg and pressure is kept on the mold for a few hours as the carbon sets. When it comes out the cloth is all bonded together around the inserts and the whole thing weighs almost nothing.

The driveshafts were carbon tubing with metal splines bonded into each end, which was nowhere near as cool.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Okay fine! How about this Audi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbeSZpXpbg

And some data:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/29/audi-quattro-concept/

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Rumors abound that Porsche will not only be building a small SUV, they will call it the Cajun. I wonder how long before we see a Porsche-branded Routan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
What the gently caress is going on at Hethel? They've announced a line up of five new cars, none of which seems it have anything to do with the sorts of things you would expect from Lotus. The Elise replacement is 200 kg heavier than the current one! Totally appalling. If you live in the UK you can probably pick up an Evora for cheap now. Makes me want to find a good S1 Elise and store it for the future.

pictures here

Jaguar made up for it though with some new Supercar that does 25g/km CO2 or something.