Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

From the first two episodes of masterchef it would seem spending a few weeks working in burger king qualifies you as a professional.

Not even some, but most of them seem totally clueless.

I was glued to the last series of masterchef australia, great tele.

My ex-girlfriend has qualified to be in the next Australian Masterchef. I think this compels me to watch it, even though who really gives a poo poo about Australian Masterchef? Other than you, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.
This is England was loving good. Utterly depressing, but brilliant.

Was a bit annoyed at C4 for pretty much spoiling it. Halfway through they announced that there would be "scenes of sexual violence", which was pretty much followed by a scene featuring Lol and her delightful Father.

Wasn't particularly impressed with John Sweeney's Scientology follow-up.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I thought this week's Inbetweeners was better than the preceding 2. It was more like the first series, with Jay repeating the 'beep beep beep' and the juvenile shouting of 'Gilbert!' and 'Oceanside!' (or whatever it was). Plus Jay going on about he's clocked this game and that game, spending the whole episode behaving like the idiot child he is. For more accuracy they should have had him say 'clocked it, and it's poo poo'. Will at the end wasn't that funny, but you can see his rationale. He just doesn't understand that being right isn't the same as doing what's right.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The thing with Will at the end is his main reason for getting angry is that everyone in the party immediately turns against him and then the girl claims he tried to have sex with her, when actually he did the slightly more noble thing by not using her for blowjobs.

I think he's mostly angry at himself for not getting blowjobs.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Perfect ending (well okay, not perfect, but you know what I mean) ending to This is England '86.

I love it when characters get some sort of redemption, and Combo cradling Lol and repeating 'let me do this one good thing' nearly made me choke up.

You can't half tell which two episodes were directed by Shane Meadows though, Jesus Christ.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
What do you guys reckon to Him & Her on BBC3?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00twwyj/Him_and_Her_The_Fancy_Dress_Party/

I really like it. Funny and the girl who plays Rebecca is super hot.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

lionlegs posted:

Don't know about that; I think "Eat the dog" is an even more apt phrase than "Jump the shark".

(It has got better since then though).

Didn't think that episode was that bad, the one with the gym was worse. Peep Show has never been bad though, it was at its best last season.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 29, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
gently caress all of you, that dog episode of Peep Show was ridiculous but I can't remember many other things that made me laugh harder than Jeremy being forced to eat the dog in front of its former owner whilst screaming "it's just a hairy turkey!"

"'Mummy' is probably the turkey's nickname! It could easily be."

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Yes yes but it's just not very Peepshow or subtle or realistic or based on sliiightly exaggerated cringe situations that very awkward people encounter. It was just completely over the top and unbelievable, regardless of how funny it is or isn't.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Neris posted:

Yes yes but it's just not very Peepshow or subtle or realistic or based on sliiightly exaggerated cringe situations that very awkward people encounter. It was just completely over the top and unbelievable, regardless of how funny it is or isn't.
yeah thats the thing, and Inbetweeners sort of sometimes veers into that territory as well and it's a little disappointing

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Personally I couldn't give a flying gently caress how out-of-character or unrealistic or ridiculous even something like Peep Show is as long as it makes me laugh, I accept that it wasn't based on the mundane like every other episode and admit that it was a massive departure from everything the show was before but beginning to end that episode made me laugh my arse off, based mainly on the fact that Robert Webb sold the gently caress out of it like he always does.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
... and that's why you like it! Whereas MOST people like shows like Peep Show and the Inbetweeners for their understated, specifically British semi-plausible comedy. I actually didn't really find it all that funny, maybe metric/imperial joke at the start but I guess that was it.

v:shobon:v

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Well, maybe I'm a weird case :v:

I know I bitched loads about Will being a bastard in the latest Inbetweeners, but I really don't mind changes in tone and style as long as they're handled well - Series 5 of The West Wing is the best example: The change from Sorkin to Wells is incredibly jarring and noticable and no one would ever argue that TWW was the same show once Sorkin left but a Wells-produced West Wing was still miles ahead of every other drama on television at that point and in some ways still is today.

Peep Show did diverge into monkey random purple dishwasher cheese in series 4, it's just I lived with it because implausible Peep Show was still drat funny and never failed to make me laugh my rear end off.

In either case, I definitely preferred it to Mark suddenly becoming an unstoppable lothario in series 5... :shobon:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Graviton v2 posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00twwyj/Him_and_Her_The_Fancy_Dress_Party/

I've been mentioning it in here after every episode, but it seems like either no one's watching it or no one likes it.

I love it. Well written, realistic, understated and genuinely funny. It's better than Inbetweeners, and I'm enjoying that well enough.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Gram-O-Phone posted:

How the gently caress can you be an 'unemployed head of communications'?

You were a head of communications. You are now unemployed. Therefore, no longer a head of anything. QED.

I loving hate this. I was made redundant a month ago but I don't go around calling myself an 'unemployed production assistant'.

Haha I said exactly the same thing when I got this bellend in the office sweepstake.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Junkenstein posted:

I've been mentioning it in here after every episode, but it seems like either no one's watching it or no one likes it.

I love it. Well written, realistic, understated and genuinely funny. It's better than Inbetweeners, and I'm enjoying that well enough.
Yeah I find it really charming, makes me smile. Check it out chaps!

e: reminds me alot of early rab c nesbit

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

Graviton v2 posted:

I really like it as well, it's both cute and crued.

Yeah, she is pretty hot.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Yup I'm enjoying Him & Her too, although I'm jealous that they're both unemployed yet seem to live in a massive loving flat.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
only seen the first two eps of Him and Her but it's pretty enjoyable, best BBC3 thing in a while probably

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Him and Her is excellent especially the Costume Party themed episode.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Anyone watch Whites? I quite enjoyed it; although it was a VERY pilot-y episode. But it does set up the characters pretty nicely. It has the woman from the IT Crowd playing the woman from the IT Crowd In A Restaurant though.

lewi
Sep 3, 2006
King

BeeZee142 posted:

Anyone watch Whites? I quite enjoyed it; although it was a VERY pilot-y episode. But it does set up the characters pretty nicely. It has the woman from the IT Crowd playing the woman from the IT Crowd In A Restaurant though.

Seemed funny enough, in the slightly-sqirmy-awkward way that a lot of british comedy is these days. It's also got Dobby from Peep Show playing Dobby in a Restaurant as well.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr
Is anyone going to be watching that new Phone Shop that's been advertised loads on Channel 4 when it's on? Anyone? No thought not.

What scares me most about it is they may have put the best jokes on the advert, I'm cringing at the thought of the lesser material on it.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I actually quite liked the Phone Shop pilot when they did that pilot showcase thing a while back. Does this mean Todd Margaret is coming soon too?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Huh. I didn't realize that Trinny and Suzannah thing was a scripted thing.

I cant rhyme
Aug 19, 2007
Anyone else watching An Idiot Abroad? I got a bit annoyed when he was complaining about the toilet. He has to sleep on the floor in a shop!

On the other hand, "I don't want to watch you eating carrots on the telly!" "HD?" "Even in HD!!"

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
I am a huge fan of Karl Pilkington, on the XFM shows and podcasts (less so the newer ones) he is genuinely funny, moans but about stuff that we all do and you can see where he is coming from, and the stuff you dont understand is hilarious.

But I think they have to be really careful with an idiot abroad because even though I loved the first I thought that tonight's episode was pushing it a bit with how much he was complaining, and its not the endearing kind of complaining, its starting to come off like hes a massive dickhead, when anyone who has listened to the XFM shows knows hes not like that at all.

It was still good but was just a bit to much at times, I know he isn't going to love it, but there's more than one good thing about India, and the one good thing he mentioned was on the river looking at the Taj Mahal. It reminds me off when Gordan Ramsay went to India for channel 4, sounded great but then when you actually watched it it was cruel, forced and he just came off like a massive oval office.

I'll still be watching though, its not terrible by any means.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Akuma posted:

Huh. I didn't realize that Trinny and Suzannah thing was a scripted thing.

I laughed at the Trinny: "Don't shag the talent! Bet your vagina hurts!"
Bloke: " It wasnt her vagina.."

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006
So The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is starting in America tomorrow. The tall stupid guy from The Inbetweeners is now playing the guy he works with(at least I think it is), not sure how well he'll be in that role, a cocky bloke-ish guy worked well. Everyone else is the same as far as I can see.

Site here: http://www.ifc.com/todd-margaret/

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

It's not better than the Inbetweeners. It's a completely different animal. It's nice, and enjoyable, but it's not unmissable.

The Phone Shop trailer looks horrible too, although I was quite surprised they didn't plaster Ricky Gervais' name over that despite how loose his connection to it is. Or maybe that says something about how bad it is.

Todd Margaret is now a US thing? At least Sharon Horgan is still involved.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 12, 2018

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Roidweiser posted:

Is anyone going to be watching that new Phone Shop that's been advertised loads on Channel 4 when it's on? Anyone? No thought not.

What scares me most about it is they may have put the best jokes on the advert, I'm cringing at the thought of the lesser material on it.

I haven't seen the adverts, but I'm going to atleast watch the first episode since they filmed it in my local highstreet.
I'm fully expecting it to be poo poo, though.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm really loving The Inbetweeners at the moment. The end of the first episode was so cringworthy. Actually, all the episodes are.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Why did nobody mention that QI was back on?

Gyles Brandreth the Sex Pest was on it aswell.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
I am currently watching Paxman interviewing Russell Brand, and it's delightful. I like Russell Brand, but it's clear who the dominant intellect is despite Mr Brand's forced vocabulary.

Also, our American friends make such a noise about Stewart and Colbert. We have to remember that we have loving Paxman.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

slotbadger posted:

I am currently watching Paxman interviewing Russell Brand, and it's delightful. I like Russell Brand, but it's clear who the dominant intellect is despite Mr Brand's forced vocabulary.

Also, our American friends make such a noise about Stewart and Colbert. We have to remember that we have loving Paxman.
it's a really weird interview, Brand seems so cartoonish even though he's trying to be serious and he's talking to bloody Paxman.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

slotbadger posted:

If Paxman was as influential to current affairs here as Stewart and Colbert are to current affairs there, we'd be a hell of a lot better off...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Trin Tragula posted:

If Paxman was as influential to current affairs here as Stewart and Colbert are to current affairs there, we'd be a hell of a lot better off...

Amen to that. Did you see what happened when they tried to make him do a weather forecast in "Newsnight"? (it's a serious, in-depth news analysis programme for those who've never seen it) - Have I Got News For You made a compilation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMAt8ZXqtbc&feature=related

The laughter is the audience for HIGNFY, Newsnight does not normally have a comedy angle.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Did anyone watch that Trinny and Susannah thing on channel 4? I was surprised by how well written and funny it was and would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Curb your Enthusiasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
The same background music is being used for the adverts for QI and Rude Tube.

Something is not right in the world of TV.