Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Don't miss the 'blue mage' character. Near Lindblum there is a swamp forest on the world map. It's pretty hard to miss. Go into it.

You can't miss him/her as such, as you have to go through the swamp later on to get to Gargan Roo, i think, just you can pick him up earlier and get some skills for him.

Pay attention to what people say during the cutscenes, several times i've ended up missing vital lines pointing me in the next direction, and spent hours looking for where to go next.

The game's very class based and a lot of the enemies require differing tactics to beat them effectively (though many of them can just be attack spammed to death). Vivi/Steiner is a great combination to have because of the magic sword skill.

Trance is largely useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Polite Tim posted:

You can't miss him/her as such, as you have to go through the swamp later on to get to Gargan Roo, i think, just you can pick him up earlier and get some skills for him.

I'm sure he meant the first time, If you miss Quina the first time that's a significant chunk of the game where you're down a party member.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Thievery posted:

Wait, wha? I remember that area having level 55 dragons but I swear they still attacked you like usual. Above the moogles/bell right?

What he meant was that the power increases as you kill dragon type enemies. The formula is actually (Dragons Killed)x(Dragons Killed), so if you kill 100 over the course of the game, that ability will always do 9999 damage.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I got the urge to try out one of the Hitman games today. Which one should I play first? I've heard the first game is largely horrible due to controls/no saves, but is it still worth playing through? Or should I start on the sequel, or maybe even game nr.3? Oh help me, goon collective!

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Blood Money is the only one worth playing imo.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Dr Snofeld posted:

What he meant was that the power increases as you kill dragon type enemies. The formula is actually (Dragons Killed)x(Dragons Killed), so if you kill 100 over the course of the game, that ability will always do 9999 damage.

No we were talking about them only casting Thundaga, nothing about Freya at all.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Werner-Boogle posted:

I got the urge to try out one of the Hitman games today. Which one should I play first? I've heard the first game is largely horrible due to controls/no saves, but is it still worth playing through? Or should I start on the sequel, or maybe even game nr.3? Oh help me, goon collective!

Blood Money is the best, but if you play it first then it will permanently spoil the predecessors to the point of being unplayable. It's your call.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I grabbed Planescape Torment off GOG since everyone said it was one of the best WRPGs. I already know that there's a fuckton of dialogue and poo poo, but any other tips/things to be aware of?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix74 posted:

So I grabbed Planescape Torment off GOG since everyone said it was one of the best WRPGs. I already know that there's a fuckton of dialogue and poo poo, but any other tips/things to be aware of?

Max out wisdom. Set it as high as it can go, when you level it up take it higher. 25 is the absolute max. If you have anything less than max wisdom, you have hosed yourself over in two very important ways.

1) A lot, lot of the dialog, choices, and solutions to problems are only available with max or greater wisdom.

2) The higher the wisdom the more bonus XP you accumulate. And its quite a lot at max wisdom, to the point where you will easily make up for your spongy-ness by out leveling everything.

Everything else is up to you, but in terms of dialog intelligence is next most important followed by charisma. In terms of keeping you alive, endurance.

If you want to experience all the dialog and such, feel free to cheat and just max out intelligence, wisdom, and charisma.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Blood Money is the best, but if you play it first then it will permanently spoil the predecessors to the point of being unplayable. It's your call.

On the other hand, the first one isn't really worth playing so spoiling it is no biggy, and the second game is debatable. Unfortunately Steam doesn't have Hitman Contracts, a pretty decent semi-remake of the first game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Blood Money also comes in a three pack. I considered the earlier games as too buggy or problematic (failed to accurately cosplay as a SWAT member) to be enjoyable. You don't even know how to pistol whip people.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Artix74 posted:

Before playing the game, check this poo poo out. Even if you don't want anything else here you definitely want the fixpack, as it fixes a shitload of minor-but-annoying bugs in the game, mostly related to dialogue and quest triggers.

For character creation/leveling - assuming you want to maximize your :words: - your favoured stats are, in this order:
Wis - dialogue, XP bonus
Int - dialogue, casting
Cha - dialogue
---
Con - regeneration
Str - carrying capacity
---
Dex - ???

The game is pretty liberal with stat bonuses and XP; it's not hard to have Wis, Int and Cha all at 25 by the end (and indeed this is recommended). You start off as a fighter, but pretty early on you unlock the mage class (and can switch between them at will) and you get thief a little later on.

As for actually playing the game...explore everywhere, talk to everyone. Don't get bummed by the combat sections. If you're a compulsive optimizer like me, save before every conversation; if not, just go with the flow.

And note that "talk to everyone" includes your party members. You can uncover a lot of personality and backstory this way, along with XP bonuses, bonus stats (for them or for you), items, and new spells.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 30, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

On the other hand, the first one isn't really worth playing so spoiling it is no biggy, and the second game is debatable. Unfortunately Steam doesn't have Hitman Contracts, a pretty decent semi-remake of the first game.

Yeah, the way I rank it is:

Hitman: Codename 47 - Completely unplayable in this day and age. Terrible numpad-based control scheme, no mid-level save combined with levels that could take a half-hour to beat and glitchy AI meant that you would often re-play levels dozens of times trying to figure out the one "right" way to beat a level, sneak speed is so slow you can almost never use it aside from scripted areas with guards with their backs turned

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - Improves on the first to a ridiculous degree and lays the groundwork for the series to this day. Less focus on linearity and instead switches to freeform levels with many ways to achieve objectives (although there are still a few linear levels and they're the worst in the game), new ranking system and ability to collect weapons encourages you to experiment and re-play levels, ability to knock people out rather than kill them and a faster sneak means that stealth and non-lethal are more viable (the Silent Assassin in the title refers to the highest possible ranking, where you beat a level completely undetected and killing only the targets with one bullet apiece). Has some terrible linear levels and the AI is pretty horrible in places as well as lots of little annoyances.

Hitman: Contracts - The lack of a plot kind of sucks (not that the Hitman plots really matter, mind, it just makes the missions even more disjointed and unrelated) and the whole "it's in your mind :2bong:" gimmick just means all the levels take place at night and in the rain. Half the levels are re-makes of stuff from the first game only better and overall this is a fairly milquetoast entry with few improvements; there are a few good levels (the Meat King episode oozes atmosphere and is pretty creepy in places, the Beldingford manner is ridiculously open and fun) but most of the promises they made about the game (like increased viability of melee weapons and an 'improved squad AI' that is just a scripted SWAT team in one mission) don't deliver and it doesn't really bring anything too new or exciting.

Hitman: Blood Money - Best game in the series. Level design is top-notch and since you can now sneak faster than people walk you can really explore and gently caress around with people while still being stealthy. The new money/notoriety system and ability to buy drops and the like is awesome and reading newspapers after the fact is really rewarding and does a good job tying previous levels to new ones. There's only a few levels that aren't fantastic (the river boat :argh:) and the AI is the best it's been and doesn't seem to spaz out nearly as much.

Also, a semi-spoiler you need to know for Blood Money's ending: in the last level you think you can only control the camera, but keep trying to move anyways:ninja:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I am genuinely surprised with the amount of options available to you in Blood Money. In the wedding level, I just went the sniper route. When I discovered that you could dress up like a priest, console/kill a man crying at a grave, actually hold the wedding yourself, and have people refer to you as padre...well, drat it makes me want to play the game again. Also the Mardi Gras level is the tits. And the last level was...gently caress I really want to play it again.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is great to find out that 47 can dance in those stages.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Artix74 posted:

Be aware of Nameless One's class options - although you start as a fighter, as soon as you're out of the tutorial section you can head to Ragpicker's Square and be trained as either a mage or a thief by characters there. Or rather, get trained as both, as once you're trained you can switch between the three by talking to the appropriate ally (the fighter/mage switches between a fighter and a mage, the fighter/thief does the same). There are a few reasons to train in all three at some point (although given the heavy wis/int focus that's recommended you'll probably want to main as a mage) - different allies have special conversations if you reach a certain level of proficiency at the different classes, it'll get you a few extra HP (only 1 per level if it's lower than your main, but every bit counts), I think you might actually get a stat point for each level even if it's lower than your main (correct me if I'm wrong), but most importantly there are actually special bonuses you get for the first class you reach levels...I want to say 7 and 12 with. The suggestion I've seen is to get the level 7 one as a fighter (unlocks another level of weapon proficiency) and the level 12 one as a mage (gets some bonus INT points I believe). But do whatever you want in that regard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So, picked up Alpha Protocol. Is running as 'Rookie' my first time to unlock Veteran for my second playthrough a terrible idea? Also any other advice? I played through the first 'zone' using stealth/pistol (chain shot is crazy) but am considering doing Rookie now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PJStelford posted:

So, picked up Alpha Protocol. Is running as 'Rookie' my first time to unlock Veteran for my second playthrough a terrible idea? Also any other advice? I played through the first 'zone' using stealth/pistol (chain shot is crazy) but am considering doing Rookie now.

you fool

Recruits can pick up 10 points for using every recruit option available, but that still leaves a 21-point gap from base classes, which will lead to frustration times.

Recommend you pick a base class to start with - you can change everything after Saudi, and the game's short enough (and different enough each time) that you can always use your knowledge on Recruit later.

Good eye for picking the two best talent lines, by the way.

Also: Alpha Protocol's Veteran is goddamn broken. You may in fact WANT Hard Mode on that run.

v v v Ayup. 120 points to spend any way you choose. Have fun.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 30, 2010

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

you fool

Also: Alpha Protocol's Veteran is goddamn broken. You may in fact WANT Hard Mode on that run.

Well, that is definitely the plan. Veteran gives you 3 ranks in each skill, right? Can you then remove points and reassign them, because if so... wow.

Fake Edit: Chain shot is amazing if for no other reason than it is 100% accurate. I ran through Taipei (you're right, this will be short) and Chain Shot x5 and tranq darts is silly.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ToxicFrog posted:

Before playing the game, check this poo poo out. Even if you don't want anything else here you definitely want the fixpack, as it fixes a shitload of minor-but-annoying bugs in the game, mostly related to dialogue and quest triggers.

For character creation/leveling - assuming you want to maximize your :words: - your favoured stats are, in this order:
Wis - dialogue, XP bonus
Int - dialogue, casting
Cha - dialogue
---
Con - regeneration
Str - carrying capacity
---
Dex - ???

The game is pretty liberal with stat bonuses and XP; it's not hard to have Wis, Int and Cha all at 25 by the end (and indeed this is recommended). You start off as a fighter, but pretty early on you unlock the mage class (and can switch between them at will) and you get thief a little later on.

As for actually playing the game...explore everywhere, talk to everyone. Don't get bummed by the combat sections. If you're a compulsive optimizer like me, save before every conversation; if not, just go with the flow.

And note that "talk to everyone" includes your party members. You can uncover a lot of personality and backstory this way, along with XP bonuses, bonus stats (for them or for you), items, and new spells.

Okay, that's some pretty awesome stuff but, I'm looking at it and it's saying "Do this if you've got the DVD or 4CD version but not the 2CD version." (specifically, it's the official patch) Which one is the GOG one? I assume it's the pre-patched one, but I'd like to be sure.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Just a word of warning, be prepared to read when it comes to Planescape. A lot.

You'll literally sit there for 20 minutes at a time just reading dialog for one person, even throw away commoners. Going through an entire town to talk to everyone (if you do that sort of thing) takes a long time if you plan on reading everything.

The game is very slow. I'm sure it's great book though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

you fool

Recruits can pick up 10 points for using every recruit option available, but that still leaves a 21-point gap from base classes, which will lead to frustration times.

Recommend you pick a base class to start with - you can change everything after Saudi, and the game's short enough (and different enough each time) that you can always use your knowledge on Recruit later.

Good eye for picking the two best talent lines, by the way.

v v v Ayup. 120 points to spend any way you choose. Have fun.

I don't know, I did a recruit run my first game and the game is just really easy.

Artix74 posted:

Okay, that's some pretty awesome stuff but, I'm looking at it and it's saying "Do this if you've got the DVD or 4CD version but not the 2CD version." (specifically, it's the official patch) Which one is the GOG one? I assume it's the pre-patched one, but I'd like to be sure.

I would imagine that the GoG version comes both prepatched, all their games are, and already optimized for reading off the hard drive, allowing you to skip both those steps.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Kid Moe posted:

Just bought Okami and Kingdom Hearts: BBS waiting for them to arrive so any tips to help me get through them?

Okami: In one of the last areas there's a puzzle involving a slot machine-like device. The lever is on the right. It may be hard to see depending on your television.
Finishing off enemies with certain brush techniques after they've lost all of their health will net you blue fangs. You can trade these later on.

Kingdom Hearts: BBS: Meld commands as often as you can and always use different crystals. Once you've mastered the resulting command (it doesn't take very long), the crystal's ability will be yours to keep.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Artix74 posted:

The UI mod that you install after the widescreen mod recognized it as the 4CD version.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Thievery posted:

No we were talking about them only casting Thundaga, nothing about Freya at all.

Well in that case, it's not true, they also use Venom Breath, possibly a physical attack too, I forget. Thundaga's the most common attack though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Artix74 posted:

With the GOG version you can skip straight to step 3; IIRC, the GOG version is the 4-disc version with the patch already applied.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'd like to try out La-Mulana, I've plaed it once before but didn't get very far. Is there something you really need to know, stuff you can miss permanently, or places you can permanently screw up? Also, is there places you should go at first?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

I'd like to try out La-Mulana, I've plaed it once before but didn't get very far. Is there something you really need to know, stuff you can miss permanently, or places you can permanently screw up? Also, is there places you should go at first?

The only missable things are some powerups that aren't required to beat the game and you know when you miss them. Each world requires a certain item to get through it although you can access four or five at a time. If you can't continue past one world, skip to another. Eventually everything clicks together except in a few areas (like the endless labyrinth or whatever it's called) where you have to have a certain combination of MSX carts.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I realize there's probably a tremendous amount I should know, and that I most likely would benefit from reading some part of the thread here specifically about the game, but any very general starting out tips for Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii, particularly for somebody who has never played any games in that series?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Sonance posted:

Don't be afraid to spend money restoring Monteriggioni. The sooner you start restoring it, the sooner it starts pumping out extra cash for you to collect and spend. You'll soon reach a point where you can't spend money fast enough.

Try to do as many Codex missions as you can before moving on to trigger the next Memory Sequence. You will need to find every single piece of Codex in order to complete the game. If you decide to "save them for later" you'll reach a point near the end of the game where you have to go on a massive Wind Waker-style collection quest to round them all up.

If you're playing the PS3 or 360 version, buy the two main DLC packs before you start playing the game. It integrates them seamlessly into the main game and extends the overall running time by a couple of hours. They're already included in the PC version.

At some point deep into the game you may find yourself trying to climb a tower, only to find yourself halfway up with no apparent way to reach the top. Don't worry, you're not missing anything. You'll unlock the ability to climb it properly later on as part of the main quest.

Just to add to this, do the assassins tombs as soon as you are able to. The reward is worth it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McCoy Pauley posted:

I realize there's probably a tremendous amount I should know, and that I most likely would benefit from reading some part of the thread here specifically about the game, but any very general starting out tips for Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii, particularly for somebody who has never played any games in that series?

- Collect everything you can, and keep it in storage in your house. Almost everything can be used to make something. Early on, the most critical things are Honey, Herbs and Blue Mushrooms, since they can be used to make healing potions.

- You can learn new recipes through trial and error, in combine mode just choose one item and everything that can't be mixed with it will be greyed out. Once you've mixed 2 things to make something, the recipe will be stored in your journal. Often, the things you make can be combined again to make new things.

- Different sets of equipment give different bonuses, but the bonuses don't tend to have any effect until you get them to +/-10 (some are 5). So, if a suit of armour gives a -10 fire vulnerability, using a charm/embedded thing to knock it to -9 will negate its effect. Almost every monster type can be turned into a suit of armor and some kind of weapon, assuming you kill enough of them to get all the bits you need.

- The monsters all have tells which telegraph their attacks, learn them and get used to using the dodge button to get out of the way of them. You may find it useful to go into the options and tell the character to dodge in a direction relative to the camera, rather than the default of relative to the character's facing direction.

- All the weapon types handle very differently, so it's usually a good idea to find one you like and stick to it for most of the time. The bow gun uses different armor to the melee weapons, so if you want to use it, you're better off not wasting too many materials making melee type armor.

- You'll usually get more stuff in the long run by capturing a boss rather than killing it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Evocron Mercenary? Or I-War 2? I'm considering getting one or the other.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Evocron Mercenary? Or I-War 2? I'm considering getting one or the other.

I haven't played I-War 2, but Mercenary is certainly more modern. From what I understand, the ships control similarly, but I believe I-War only lets you pilot a small number of ships.

Then again, I-War lets you pilot large ships, which Evchron does not. They might very well complement each other for this reason.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I haven't played I-War 2, but Mercenary is certainly more modern. From what I understand, the ships control similarly, but I believe I-War only lets you pilot a small number of ships.

Then again, I-War lets you pilot large ships, which Evchron does not. They might very well complement each other for this reason.

Well I won't really be playing the multiplayer aspect of Mercenary, so I'd like to know which is a better single-player experience.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Just starting Wizardry 6. Anything I should know before starting this?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm looking to play System Shock 2 again for the first time in a while. What graphical mods should I look at to update the game a bit visually?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

First of all, everything you need is hosted here.

SHTUP is an unalloyed good, it upgrades a lot of world textures with much higher-resolution versions.

Rebirth is more of a matter of taste; it replaces enemies with much higher polycount models, but this necessarily changes the visual style of some of them a lot as well. It's worth at least checking out.

Straylight's ADaOB is not a graphical mod, but is basically an unofficial patch, fixing a shitload of minor mapping errors (things stuck in walls, accidentally indestructable or super-fragile weapons, etc) and typos in the game text, along with some other fixes.

I still haven't found a weapon models upgrade I like, so let me know if you find a good one. :)

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you want to win a fight quickly, one thing you can do is pop a smoke bomb and just murder everyone with the hidden blade. You can usually get an easy 3-4 kills before they stop coughing.
And before you get the smoke bomb, having mercenaries with you does the same. Wait for your allies to engage an enemy and then just backstab the distracted enemies.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ToxicFrog posted:

First of all, everything you need is hosted here.

SHTUP is an unalloyed good, it upgrades a lot of world textures with much higher-resolution versions.

Rebirth is more of a matter of taste; it replaces enemies with much higher polycount models, but this necessarily changes the visual style of some of them a lot as well. It's worth at least checking out.

Straylight's ADaOB is not a graphical mod, but is basically an unofficial patch, fixing a shitload of minor mapping errors (things stuck in walls, accidentally indestructable or super-fragile weapons, etc) and typos in the game text, along with some other fixes.

I still haven't found a weapon models upgrade I like, so let me know if you find a good one. :)

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
How am I supposed to kill Marburg in Alpha Protocol ? He is insanely difficult to kill, has infinite goons respawning and last but not least, the arena is very small. I am level 9, specialized in pistols, stealth and martial arts.