Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Dr JonboyG posted:

What the gently caress is going on at Hethel? They've announced a line up of five new cars, none of which seems it have anything to do with the sorts of things you would expect from Lotus. The Elise replacement is 200 kg heavier than the current one! Totally appalling. If you live in the UK you can probably pick up an Evora for cheap now. Makes me want to find a good S1 Elise and store it for the future.

pictures here

Jaguar made up for it though with some new Supercar that does 25g/km CO2 or something.

Holy poo poo. Am I the only one that's very confused between the 5 "E" models and how they differ? I like Lotus' new design language but I feel as if they don't vary enough between separate models. Although, that being said, I love the looks of the Elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

sanchez posted:

Why would you get one over a Mustang? The interior is less offensive but that's about all I can think of.

The exterior is less offensive too.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The Focus ST is coming, EcoBoost, Recaros and all, and since everyone covering the Fiesta said that it was going to get an EcoBoost version I don't think the Fiesta ST coming here is that out of the realm of possibility.

Probably won't come here as a three-door, but everything else...

No, I'd say that seals its fate. It would compete with the focus ST for the small number of sales they're likely to get. The only reason for them to do it is if another company releases a hot hatch and it sells very well.

Ford will find a way to gently caress over the focus ST and make sure it doesn't compete with the mustang.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

oxbrain posted:

Ford will find a way to gently caress over the focus ST and make sure it doesn't compete with the mustang.

As long as they leave off the extra erotic color changing dash lights I will be happy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oxbrain posted:

I don't think they need to - one, the two cater to different markets, and two, even the High School Girl Special has 60hp more than the ST does. Some people will cross-shop hot hatches to musclecars, sure...but if you're Ford, and you have the single best muscle car out there, and arguably you have one of the best hot hatches out there, why not make customers decide which Ford they want, instead of Mustang vs GTI or STi or Evo?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

sanchez posted:

Why would you get one over a Mustang? The interior is less offensive but that's about all I can think of.

Honestly, everyone in DFW has a Mustang. Everyone. Being able to find my car at the mall is worth the extra bucks.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
If you haven't heard the news, Lotus came out swinging with 5 concepts at the Paris Motor Show. New Elise, V6 Elan, V8 Esprit, then two weird hybrid ones: hard top convertible Elite and four door Eterne. Critics going batshit about 3200lbs vs the 2900 old Esprit, but gently caress em, the first three ones look awesome.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bidikyoopi posted:

If you haven't heard the news, Lotus came out swinging with 5 concepts at the Paris Motor Show. New Elise, V6 Elan, V8 Esprit, then two weird hybrid ones: hard top convertible Elite and four door Eterne. Critics going batshit about 3200lbs vs the 2900 old Esprit, but gently caress em, the first three ones look awesome.

No, we hadn't heard the news, tell us all about it.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Dr JonboyG posted:

No, we hadn't heard the news, tell us all about it.

:frogout:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

GOD IS BED posted:

Honestly, everyone in DFW has a Mustang. Everyone. Being able to find my car at the mall is worth the extra bucks.

I'm in DFW and I see the same. It makes me wonder why I see so FEW Dodge Challengers (new ones obviously). With the big three, I notice Lots of Mustangs, some Camaros, and barely any at all, Challengers. In my opinion, it looks the best of the 3. Is it drastically overpriced, or underpowered compared to the others, or something?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Subways Jared posted:

I'm in DFW and I see the same. It makes me wonder why I see so FEW Dodge Challengers (new ones obviously). With the big three, I notice Lots of Mustangs, some Camaros, and barely any at all, Challengers. In my opinion, it looks the best of the 3. Is it drastically overpriced, or underpowered compared to the others, or something?
They're hundreds of pound heavier than Camaro, not to mention the even ligher Mustang.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So what's everyone think of this Lamborghini Sesto Elemental? Gosh I really want to like it because it's light as hell and supposed to do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? But it's got this hideous snub-nose and it's just a big mess of carbon fiber. It just doesn't feel like any Lambo I know and I don't like new and different.

for reference: http://www.leftlanenews.com/lamborghini-sesto-elemento.html

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I think the headlights could have been worked slightly better, but its like having a loving V10 in a god loving drat Elise.

E:poo poo gently caress cock piss oval office balls piss

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It's almost as if Lamborghini and Lotus decided to switch missions. All the new Lotuses look like Lambos anyway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

davebo posted:

So what's everyone think of this Lamborghini Sesto Elemental? Gosh I really want to like it because it's light as hell and supposed to do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? But it's got this hideous snub-nose and it's just a big mess of carbon fiber. It just doesn't feel like any Lambo I know and I don't like new and different.

if those wheels don't rotate down 90 degrees and turn into hoverpads, I just don't know...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I really like the new Elan, I think it's the best looking of the new Lotus products.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

davebo posted:

It's still undeniably Lambo, but they shifted from making cars for Bruce Wayne to making cars for Batman. Interior looks like just a small step up from a KTM Xbow though, hard to see it not being almost completely different and adding a bunch of weight it it ever hits production.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
I feel like I am the only one in AI who is excited about Cehvy's Camaro z28 and the possibility that they will make one with the top chopped off.

550+ Horsepower? Yeah I could get along with that alright.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrSaturn posted:

I feel like I am the only one in AI who is excited about Cehvy's Camaro z28 and the possibility that they will make one with the top chopped off.

550+ Horsepower? Yeah I could get along with that alright.

I really wanted to love the Camaro, but when I got in one, nothing really lived up to the hype. It didn't quite fit into the feel of muscle car that I was hoping for, and I'm not sure it'd be that much more fun with 130+ horses.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, who needs more horsepower anyways?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm just saying it's still a cavernous tank of an interior and not terribly communicative. Things that still gnaw at you even if you can barrel around that much faster.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Yeah, who needs more horsepower anyways?

Oh boy straight lines how exciting

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
VW is rumored to be entering NASCAR, and Porsche returning to Formula 1.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/01/rumormill-porsche-coming-back-to-formula-1/

Autoblog posted:

Porsche is engaged in roundtable discussions about re-entering Formula 1. The Stuttgart automaker has been in and out of Formula 1 for decades, and now with Volkswagen making noises about entering various racing series like NASCAR, it appears all that's left to be decided is which manufacturer will go where. The latest pie to be split has an LMP1 car on one side and an F1 car on the other, with Audi and Porsche holding the forks. Audi has already said it doesn't fit with Formula 1, leaving Porsche as the de facto F1 entrant.

Porsche's current racing involvement is mainly through customer programs, so this move (should it happen) would mark a return to full-on heavy duty factory involvement. VW has been in talks with the FIA about providing a so-called "world engine" for F1, but it's unclear whether Porsche's involvement would hinge on that coming to pass or if the automaker would make an engine regardless. The Williams F1 team's overtures to VW could provide another point of entry to the pinnacle of motorsport.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Underpowered, especially in v6 trim. Even the old 4.0 v6 mustang (with only 210hp) was significantly faster in every way than the v6 challenger. Also, I can't say I visit dodge dealers very often, but it seems like they always have a token SRT8 sitting out front on display, and then no more on the lot. It seems like you essentially have to order them and people are lazy.

I'm biased towards mustangs, though, since I have a 2007 :colbert:

Subways Jared posted:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

grover posted:

Don't know how I feel about that. Porsche doesn't really have any business in F1. They've tried it a couple of times in the past but it's not in the firm's DNA the way sportscar racing is. Audi would be a much better fit, but since Audi are pinning everything on TDi they won't leave prototypes and that means Porsche can't enter.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Faerunner posted:

Oh boy straight lines how exciting

I can understand the other complaints, but I think this is a bit unfair. Sure, it's wasn't designed to be a Miata or a 911, but the thing can turn. It does have IRS, and with a few simple suspension upgrades, they handle pretty well, especially considering their size. I think people look at them wrong due to the last generation... they're definitely more of a grand tourer, up there with the 370Z and company.

Check out the Nurburgring Lap Times on Wikipedia if you don't believe me. the 2010 SS came in right behind the Cayman S and Boxster S, and above quite a few notable names, at 8:20.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too hopelessly in love with the looks and history of the car, but I feel like it hasn't had a fair chance.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

MrSaturn posted:

Check out the Nurburgring Lap Times on Wikipedia if you don't believe me. the 2010 SS came in right behind the Cayman S and Boxster S, and above quite a few notable names, at 8:20.

This is a bit off-topic, but goddamn, check out the ZR1 running it less than a second slower than an Enzo, and faster than the GT-R, LFA, and 911 GT3.

And yet top gear complains that its handling sucks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nurburgring is a power circuit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

grover posted:

There was talk like this in January and VW came out and said they were talking with NASCAR about joining Grand Am (which NASCAR owns).

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

A5H posted:

Nurburgring is a power circuit.

Most tracks are.

Saying stuff like this are like all the HURRRRR BETTER KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR MIRRORS FOR THE GOOD DRIVER IN A MIATA poo poo I get bombarded with when I run with certain organizations. Power makes a substantial difference on nearly any track that isn't Autocross sized.

Hell even in my 4000lb+ boat of a car with a stock motor I'm still running over 5 seconds a lap faster at one of my regular tracks then the top qualifying time for a fully prepped SCCA spec miata race a few weeks earlier and allegedly those things are paragons of "handling".

Peanut President posted:

There was talk like this in January and VW came out and said they were talking with NASCAR about joining Grand Am (which NASCAR owns).

There were VW's in the Continental tire challenge (a subsidiary of Grand-am and also owned by NASCAR) all season and one of the drivers (Josh Hurley) posts on here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kill me now posted:

Saying stuff like this are like all the HURRRRR BETTER KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR MIRRORS FOR THE GOOD DRIVER IN A MIATA poo poo I get bombarded with when I run with certain organizations. Power makes a substantial difference on nearly any track that isn't Autocross sized.
In one of Carroll Smith's books, he states something along the lines of the main aim of a car builder being to ensure that a driver has no complaints other than wanting more power.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kill me now posted:

Power makes a substantial difference on nearly any track that isn't Autocross sized.

Remember when Mini challenged Porsche to a race at Road Atlanta, but it was actually an autocross course in the parking lot? And the 911 still won? That was funny.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just saw the most amazing battle at Sears Point today, it was a Porsche 906 being absolutely harassed by a lowly Mk.1 Lotus 7. The Lotus was absolutely on the Porsche's rear end the entire time, and only by being 3 lanes wide did the Porsche keep him behind him.

The solution isn't more power. It's less weight :colbert:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

kill me now posted:

There were VW's in the Continental tire challenge (a subsidiary of Grand-am and also owned by NASCAR) all season and one of the drivers (Josh Hurley) posts on here.

I'm just saying, people were going gaga over VW in NASCAR earlier this year and it was total garbage. They may be moving up to the big boy series?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I take back my previous whine about Porsche being in F1, since I was dumb enough to forget the TAG engine they made for McLaren that was actually pretty good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hey, who likes lots of front overhang?:
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/10/spy-photos-2012-volkswagen-new-beetle.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They made it worse? I'm genuinely impressed.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Looks like the Volkswagen Panamera Junior.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
loving hell that's disgusting.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

BonzoESC posted:

Looks like the Volkswagen Panamera Junior.

Article mentions the Cayman style front grill. I kind of like it...it reminds me of the older beetle designs, but it looks too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Something about it reminds me of the PT Cruiser.