Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

Can we stop doing this already? Catchphrase is getting old.

Revolvyerom in, Funny out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Muffinpox posted:

Like the apex seals in a rotary engine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Das Volk posted:

nope, still funny

M3 axle diagram: POWAAAAA in, diff clutches out.

Also it sounds like there should probably be a lot of people drawing up plans for engine swaps in the Freelander, or is the chassis not even worth it?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

M3 axle diagram: POWAAAAA in, diff clutches out.

Also it sounds like there should probably be a lot of people drawing up plans for engine swaps in the Freelander, or is the chassis not even worth it?
I think the BMW diesel they used in some of the models made it reliable mechanically, but then you have to deal with the interior electrics and suspension...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Kill-9 posted:

Every Freelander owner I know has gone through at least one engine. Some more than one. There's a reason they are the paria of the Rover world. I guess Land Rover decided they needed a new crappy model and gave us the Evoque.

This looks to be the truth. I checked my local craigslist and it had a half dozen Freelanders for sale, 2 in the $2000 range and 4 in the $7000 range.

Yup, the 2 cheap ones had dead motors. Would it be worth swapping a real engine into one, or is the rest of the car crap, too?

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

trouser chili posted:

Speaking of old posters, remember smb123? He was a real hit on the forums. Also, poles.
You may not have liked the guy, but that's kinda harsh.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Poing posted:

Because this forum is called Something Softnsweet, after all.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
I just think it's unwarranted, that's all.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Poing posted:

I just think it's unwarranted, that's all.

abloobloobloo

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

meatpimp posted:

This looks to be the truth. I checked my local craigslist and it had a half dozen Freelanders for sale, 2 in the $2000 range and 4 in the $7000 range.

Yup, the 2 cheap ones had dead motors. Would it be worth swapping a real engine into one, or is the rest of the car crap, too?

I had the same thought! The rest of the car appears to be crap. I think some parts of the interior are pretty cool, but not worth the work of swapping the drivetrain. Unless someone figures out that subframes/engine and trans/diff from an Escape or something would bolt right up.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

D C posted:

abloobloobloo
Ah, that makes much more sense now!

Here's a worn out brake rotor as a prize!!!!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Poing posted:

Ah, that makes much more sense now!

Here's a worn out brake rotor as a prize!!!!

This wasn't being driven around, right? :wtc:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EightBit posted:

This wasn't being driven around, right? :wtc:

You know better than that.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

MikeyTsi posted:

No, it really isn't. Much like Apex seals (since they get blown out before they get old!)
Crankwalk.

Das Volk posted:

nope, still funny
Pricks on the inside.

Muffinpox posted:

VAG electrics.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Kill-9 posted:

Every Freelander owner I know has gone through at least one engine. Some more than one. There's a reason they are the paria of the Rover world. I guess Land Rover decided they needed a new crappy model and gave us the Evoque.

The Freelander 2 has been excellent and has the awesome 2.2 Turbodiesel PSA engine. Shame it kept the name but it hasn't stopped people buying it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

The Rocket Salad posted:

Crankwalk.

Not on mine! (YET).

I seem to be blowing out turbos on mine though, maybe you could come up with a "funny" meme about that?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Lilbeefer posted:

The Freelander 2 has been excellent and has the awesome 2.2 Turbodiesel PSA engine. Shame it kept the name but it hasn't stopped people buying it.

You mean the 2.2 we don't get in the States? We've never gotten a factory diesel Land Rover. Also, in the States that would be called the LR2 like the Disco3 is an LR3/LR4. Yes, lame names.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Splizwarf posted:

A Mazda3 IIRC and a pair of semis, driver lived. :drat:

I'm figuring "Was my daily driver, selling because too many cars now. Body mostly straight, engine just needs some TLC. Minor interior/exterior damage, normal for a car of this age/mileage."

Willing to trade for a WRX?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2B79xkOa7I

Couldn't find pictures sadly.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IOwnCalculus posted:

M3 axle diagram: 5mm from the heat shield is fine, zee roads are perfect in germany, why would we not make things ridiculously close? It's not like rocks or other debris will get caught in there!

Fixed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Fixed.

Superior German Road Adhesives ensure that no stray pebbles are left after a precision repaving.

Curiously, all of the roads go to Poland. :godwin:

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Kill-9 posted:

You mean the 2.2 we don't get in the States? We've never gotten a factory diesel Land Rover. Also, in the States that would be called the LR2 like the Disco3 is an LR3/LR4. Yes, lame names.

Even in 3.2 Volvo motor guise, the FL2 is a good car. It is best in class for off roading and doesn't seem to piss too many owners off. The car is a slug with the 3.2 however, and it sucks you guys miss out on the TD4. Also you get the crappy 4.2 naturally aspirate Jag motor instead of the new 5.0. And you miss out on the 3.0 TDV6 in both LR and Jag.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Poing posted:

I'm sorry, where you not paying attention when the forums created this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYujWCCHRk

Also, SMB123 and I got along just fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

Also, in the States that would be called the LR2 like the Disco3 is an LR3/LR4. Yes, lame names.
They ditched the Disco nameplate specifically to distance the new car from the reputation of the old one, which is pretty damning.

Lilbeefer posted:

And you miss out on the 3.0 TDV6 in both LR and Jag.
Take it you don't get the Range Rover TDV8 either?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

trouser chili posted:

AI: Let's talk about our feelings.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MikeyTsi posted:

AI: Let's talk about our feelings.

AI: I just think it's unwarranted, that's all.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

meatpimp posted:

AI: I just think it's unwarranted, that's all.

AI: Stop being such big meanies, guys.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MikeyTsi posted:

AI: Stop being such big meanies, guys.

Full circle:

Automotive Insanity - The irl cool dudes forum *flicks cigarette at u*

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Full circle:

Automotive Insanity - The irl cool dudes forum *flicks cigarette at u*

are you making fun of me? :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LobsterboyX posted:

are you making fun of me? :colbert:
That's it! You, me, car park, NOW!

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

trouser chili posted:

Speed up random video + Yakety sax = comedy? The next thing you're going to tell me is that Gallagher is funny.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Poing posted:

Speed up random video + Yakety sax = comedy?

No, it needs to be done like a proper Benny Hill video, with sound effect and laugh tracks in addition to the speed up and yakety sax.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZr3R5cKkXQ

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Ahhh that's way better?????

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

InitialDave posted:

They ditched the Disco nameplate specifically to distance the new car from the reputation of the old one, which is pretty damning.

Take it you don't get the Range Rover TDV8 either?

We definitely do, not sure why we wouldn't if we get every other JLR diesel engine...

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

"Oh, that truck must have broken down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_f2kLzcVWI

"Well, it's definitely broken. And down."

Saw that last night. Immediately thought of you, AI :3:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Lilbeefer posted:

We definitely do, not sure why we wouldn't if we get every other JLR diesel engine...

The U.S. does not get the TDV8. We get no Land Rover diesels over here.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Back on topic... I was wondering why my idler pulley was making a squealing sound. I think I figured out why now:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Glynis27
Sep 13, 2006
Destroyer of Dreams

Devyl posted:

Back on topic... I was wondering why my idler pulley was making a squealing sound. I think I figured out why now:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Hmm, I've had an idler pulley making noise for a few years. It whines so badly that 2 people have asked if my car is supercharged when I start the car. Maybe I should finally get around to replacing that pulley.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Glynis27 posted:

Hmm, I've had an idler pulley making noise for a few years. It whines so badly that 2 people have asked if my car is supercharged when I start the car. Maybe I should finally get around to replacing that pulley.

You know, in support of this thread, you could simply let it go, and ultimately, or most likely, will lead to some damage that you could then post here...

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Glynis27 posted:

I had the same thing happen to me. Someone asked me how much "boost I was pushin'" when I started the truck up one day. Needless to say, the belt jumped off on me yesterday when I started it up. Took a look and saw the pulley just wobbling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Devyl posted:

I had the same thing happen to me. Someone asked me how much "boost I was pushin'" when I started the truck up one day. Needless to say, the belt jumped off on me yesterday when I started it up. Took a look and saw the pulley just wobbling around.

But bearings are meant to be freeeee! :allears: