Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

stuart scott irl posted:

Seriously though, the way Philly fandom latches on to replacement level players and becomes obsessed with their "contributions" is loving maddening. Everyone loving LOVES Valdez right now.

I think every fanbase does this, though. It took months of sub-replacement hitting and my constant bitching to convince my dad that Francisco Cervelli has no business being on a major league team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
D-Mac for the Red Sox, although it's not like there were alternatives.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
For the Cardinals it's the Triple Parent Trap.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Captain Charisma posted:

I think every fanbase does this, though. It took months of sub-replacement hitting and my constant bitching to convince my dad that Francisco Cervelli has no business being on a major league team.

Pretty sure that right at the moment, Wilson Valdez is more popular among the media than Chase Utley.

Chase "Permanent Reverse Racism" Utley.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Ryan loving Theriot. Thank God they got Blake DeW-AW gently caress.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Chris Getz aaaaagh. Also Yuni but he's been a not-awful shortstop this year.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Deathlove posted:

Ryan loving Theriot. Thank God they got Blake DeW-AW gently caress.

hehe :hehe:

Theriot's range is impressive, at least. Too bad he's a piece of poo poo hitter.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Bob Shabazz posted:

Chris Getz aaaaagh. Also Yuni but he's been a not-awful shortstop this year.

To be fair, Getz can't stay healthy for more than a week anyway.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is older (1991) than a bunch of people in this thread, but I just learned of its existence today. 1991 doesn't seem like that long ago, but goddamn is it kind of creepy.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/14/sports/sports-of-the-times-sorry-but-magic-isn-t-a-hero.html

Gotta love those undertones of "who does deserve to get AIDS".

On a lighter note, here is an awesome quote from TLR which I 100% agree with!

TLR, on Adam Wainwright winning his 20th game posted:

"This is a real achievement. The level of wins for a starter is like RBIs for a position player."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Who want some godawful Mets fan fiction?

http://nybaseballdigest.com/?p=29437

quote:

The wind whipped through the near empty seats of Citi Field on Thursday night. A storm was on its way. They’d get the game in though. Nothing like a 9-2 drubbing from the Brewers with our former manager and pitching coach sitting in their dugout to finally bring the curtain down on what’s been a season of inevitable failure and frustration. When they fired Willie Randolph and Rick Peterson in June ’08, there was instant hope and relief. Sure, they way they did it was ugly, but who cares? There’s no karma in baseball, right? The Mets caught fire. They won 10 straight into the All-Star break. A short two months or so later, Collapse II was complete.

The Phillies won the World Series after that…

OK, well now it’s 2009…K-Rod is here to make sure we don’t go without a closer again. Jerry gets a full Spring Training with the team. I’ll skip the rest. What sticks with me from the ’09 season was the total lack of connection I felt between the current fans, the current team and the current upper management. The Mets lived in a bubble of futility and were like a 25-man version of Jake LaMotta, content to take punch after punch with the consolation that they were never knocked down. They withered into the off-season with their excuses in tow like a rolling set of talking points. I waited to see how they’d recover from a 70 win season. Ugh.

The Yankees won the World Series after that…they beat the Phillies…can it get uglier? Sure!

So the 2010 season ends now and well, who cares who wins it this year??? Sure I’ll root for the Yankees and Phillies to lose and lose painfully, that’s automatic. But I’d like to offer the Mets a way to rise from the ashes of the last 24 Octobers and make 2011 a different type of year.
It’s not about trades and free agent signings and all the usual off-season angst…let that go.

Here’s what I’d like to see happen next season at the home opener…do this and I’m happy.

Howie Rose stands behind home plate silently behind a microphone. The field is empty…quiet.
Suddenly, we hear the boom, boom, clap of “We Will Rock You” thunders from the PA system.

The centerfield gate opens and Howie calls out the ’86 outfield…
LF Kevin Mitchell (if he’s not available, Danny Heep or Mookie will do…) no, not George Foster!
CF Mookie Wilson (in case Dykstra is busy)
RF Darryl Strawberry…crowd is going crazy…

Then all eyes are on the Mets dugout as the ’86 infield is introduced and takes the field…
C Gary Carter
3B Ray Knight
SS Raphael Santana
1B Keith Hernandez
P Dwight Gooden…crowd is about to explode now…

Maybe let the rest of the 86′ers do a quick curtain call by the dugout…

Howie takes a deep breath and says, “And your 2B and new manager of 2011 NY Mets… Wally Backman

Wally takes the field in his familiar #6…The ’86 team takes a collective bow…

Everyone leaves the field but Wally…he starts to trot in towards Howie…

He takes off his ’86 jersey…and he has another one on under it…but it’s #25?

He holds up two fingers with his right hand and 5 fingers with his left. The fans do the same.

And then he says the rally cry every Mets fan will learn as the signature of the 2011 season…

HOIST THE COLORS

The crowd then holds up the commemorative 1986 orange/blue seat cushions over their heads. Citi Field is awash in it…And just as the screaming reaches its crescendo…the 2011 Mets take the field…in their vintage ’86 uniforms…”Meet the Mets” is playing…play some ball!

But this is not a gimmick. Sure the seat cushions are. At every 2011 home game fans are given something orange and blue to HOIST every time the Mets need help or a rally is on. It’s
a battle cry that is uniquely ours…and it’s done at every level of the organization too. The PSL Mets fans do it, the Binghamton Mets fans do it, and the Savannah Sand Gnats fans do it…Buffalo Bison fans do it too. Gulf Coast League Mets fans do it…the two Dominican Summer League Met fans learn it too. The Brooklyn Cyclones fans already do it! Check it out Fred!

My point? Met fans are down to the Jerry Seinfeld Plank Constant Quantum Foam level now.
After 2011, after 25 years since the last championship, the ’86 team fades into history and becomes an even more distant star. What’s left is the laundry, as Jerry says. And if the Mets keep the myriad of uniforms they wear in the Mets store and simply wear only the ’86 home and away uniforms from here on, it’s like faking it till you make. Dress like champions…

Well you know what I mean…All I’m trying to do is make every Met player feel the meaning of that season, that team, those uniforms, every game next year. With Wally there, wearing #25
on his ‘back-man’, it’ll be a not so subtle reminder of how long it’s been since Jesse tossed his glove somewhere out in the parking lot of Citi Field and put 1969 to bed for that generation…
Spend 2011 celebrating that team’s magic moments…Have ‘Ray Knight Fight Night’ when we play the Reds and give out orange and blue boxing glove key chains. It’s an 81 game encore!

But the real impact is on the identity of the team. All this search for leadership from within the team or from upper management is a waste of time. It has to come from the Mets fan base. Every OCT we have to walk around with our chests sunken. It’s a drat Yankee party. Sure we get to lift our chins for day if they get eliminated, but that’s the Jake LaMotta way. Let’s spend a season shooting each other the 2-5 sign and see if Wally Ball brings this vibe back.

I also command the Mets to make Joe Benigno the official “Hoist the Colors” voice. When we
need a prompt, let it be Joe B leading the charge from the Diamond Vision. When we lose, or do something stupid, a brief “Oh the Pain!” from Joe will soothe our collective nerves. Try it!

Jay, I’m available for a more detailed battle plan…but if they don’t hire Wally, deal’s off!

PS. One more thing…lose that tired ‘Sweet Caroline’ and play “The Summer Wind” in the 8th inning all next season. It’s quick, it’s upbeat and it’s like every Mets season…October free!

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

quote:

The crowd then holds up the commemorative 1986 orange/blue seat cushions over their heads. Citi Field is awash in it…And just as the screaming reaches its crescendo…the 2011 Mets take the field…in their vintage ’86 uniforms…”Meet the Mets” is playing…play some ball!

Wolf Blizter, stunned and as if in a trance, repeats the words, "Amazing, Amazing."

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

FairGame posted:

This is older (1991) than a bunch of people in this thread, but I just learned of its existence today. 1991 doesn't seem like that long ago, but goddamn is it kind of creepy.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/14/sports/sports-of-the-times-sorry-but-magic-isn-t-a-hero.html

I liked this:

quote:

If one definition of "hero" is model or ideal, as Webster's Third New International Dictionary attests, Magic Johnson is hardly a model or ideal to anyone with a sense of sexual morality.

I'm sure he's happy he wrote this before FJM happened

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

zakharov posted:

Everyone leaves the field but Wally…he starts to trot in towards Howie…

He takes off his ’86 jersey…and he has another one on under it…but it’s #25?

YESSSS THE METS' HEEL TURN

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Here's a fun column where a guy repeats a sentence about the 2009 Yankees 50 times. I'm not kidding: it's the same sentence, repeated 50 times, on purpose.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

barkingclam posted:

Here's a fun column where a guy repeats a sentence about the 2009 Yankees 50 times. I'm not kidding: it's the same sentence, repeated 50 times, on purpose.

He literally got paid for ctrl-c ctrl-v. I hate everything.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Gotta love those undertones of "who does deserve to get AIDS".

"There were just some bachelors that almost every woman in Los Angeles wanted to be with: Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall and Magic Johnson."

Really? Every woman in LA wanted to gently caress Arsenio Hall?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

barkingclam posted:

That is by far the laziest thing I've ever read.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Curl_like_smoke posted:

"There were just some bachelors that almost every woman in Los Angeles wanted to be with: Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall and Magic Johnson."

Really? Every woman in LA wanted to gently caress Arsenio Hall?

Relatively famous actor/comedian who hosted his own TV show that was pretty popular with a young, urban audience. Yeah, that kind of stuff must be kryptonite to a woman.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For some reason Mad Dog Radio on XM hired Steve Phillips (the awful former Mets GM who seems to know nothing useful about anything) to co-host their morning show. Needless to say they're getting flooded with calls asking why they're hiring this loser.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Steve Phillips also likes interns. He really likes interns

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Congratulations Brooke Hundley on your new career in radio

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The broken bones posted:

I liked this:

I'm sure he's happy he wrote this before FJM happened

I'm more offended he used loving "Webster's defines..."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Steve Phillips also likes interns. He really likes interns

Alternatively...

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/10/in_the_game_of_life.php

quote:

3. Bud Selig. Just when it seems like Selig is making progress in at least quelling the furor over performance enhancing drugs in his sport, along comes Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jays. If you had never heard of him before the second half of this season, don't feel bad. Hell, some of his teammates may not have even known who he was. A nondescript, 14-home run per year guy coming into 2010, Bautista nearly doubled his entire pre-2010 career output in one season, hitting 54 bombs. As suspicion-arousing seasons go, Brady Anderson hitting 50 bombs thinks this looks a little funny. Luis Gonzalez going yard 57 times thinks something stinks.

Remember the scene in Rounders where Worm is clearly cheating in a game of poker with some Russian mobsters and his pal Mike McD encourages him to "give a little bit back to them" just to make it look like he's not cheating? Of course, Worm didn't listen, and neither did Bautista. Fifty-four home runs, Jose? Really? You couldn't just hit 34 or 38? You had to hit 54? Hell, the day after he hit his 50th which resulted in the expected eye-rolling, Bautista basically said "EFF YOU" and hit his 51st and 52nd. I'm not saying Bautista is a cheater, I'm just saying that people questioning it is not out of line at all.

You Have To Ask The Question :negative:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

There you have it, STEROIDS let you pick and choose how many homeruns you'd like to hit in a season. Tell you what, the syringes even have little HR gradations, instead of ml. Jose should have just injected 30 HR's worth, but he had to get greedy.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
That person is literally suggesting that if Jose Bautista's going to take steroids, then at least he ought to also throw baseball games.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Right now in his home some marginal major leaguer is eyeing his box marked "Barry"

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
I'm not saying that Bautista is a cheater, but hes a loving cheater.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

YodaTFK posted:

I'm not saying that Bautista is a cheater, but hes a loving cheater.

See, but it'd be okay if he cheated a little in the negative direction to balance it out.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

See, but it'd be okay if he cheated a little in the negative direction to balance it out.

The bastard could have chosen to hit fewer HR's but he got greedy.

Greedy bastard choosing to hit HR's when he could have chosen to maybe hit a single instead.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I assume all baseballers are cheating in one way or another. Even if he's not, why would he ever intentionally do worse than he is able to? Terrible writing as usual from sportz media.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bigass Moth posted:

I assume all baseballers are cheating in one way or another. Even if he's not, why would he ever intentionally do worse than he is able to? Terrible writing as usual from sportz media.

I'd ratchet my expectations back a little bit, considering it's a blog post on the site of an alt weekly in Houston.

Edit: A guy I used to work with writes for their sports section. He was a good guy, but a little unhinged. The kind of person who cares way too much about sports and is constantly posting off-kilter rants on his Facebook page about teams he covers.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 5, 2010

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
To continue awful baseball journalism:

Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun posted:

A lot of people are touting Seattle's Felix Hernandez for the Cy Young Award in the American League, just not me. You can't have a 13-game winner on a last-place team as a Cy Young winner.

Because the Cy Young is reflective of not just of how he pitched, but how his teammates batted when he was sitting in the dugout.

quote:

It means he put up all those numbers never pitching a game of importance.

This is because Seattle's games mean literally nothing. That's what never means, Steve - literally nothing they did at any point throughout the season meant anything.

quote:

My vote, if I had one, would go to CC Sabathia of the Yankees, the 21-game winner.

WINS ARE WHAT COUNTS BABY! COUNT 'EM!

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

barkingclam posted:

To continue awful baseball journalism:

Because the Cy Young is reflective of not just of how he pitched, but how his teammates batted when he was sitting in the dugout.

This is because Seattle's games mean literally nothing. That's what never means, Steve - literally nothing they did at any point throughout the season meant anything.

WINS ARE WHAT COUNTS BABY! COUNT 'EM!

Steve Simmons is the worst sports writer and I refuse to believe otherwise. Just a blubbering beelzebub baby. His articles leading up to the 2009 NHL draft were incredible. One day Tavares was an egomaniac who would bust the next day he was Toronto's prodigal son and Burke needed to do whatever it takes to get him.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
College journalism, baby!

quote:

Connor Arendell has been a winner wherever he has gone whether its playing in national tournaments or for his school teams he just seems to succeed wherever he goes.

(that's the lede)

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Okposolypse posted:

Steve Simmons is the worst sports writer and I refuse to believe otherwise. Just a blubbering beelzebub baby. His articles leading up to the 2009 NHL draft were incredible. One day Tavares was an egomaniac who would bust the next day he was Toronto's prodigal son and Burke needed to do whatever it takes to get him.

Between him and Damien "ya gotta ask, except I didn't" Cox, Toronto has probably the worst sports columnists per capita in Canada. Also, I love "if I had a vote, but I don't" part. There's a pretty good reason you don't, Steve!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BackInTheUSSR posted:

College journalism, baby!

(that's the lede)

Some ledes deserve to be buried.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A few years back, ESPN's TrueHoop started a network that brought together a number of fan blogs under one roof. Today, the blog that covers the Heat was kicked out in order to promote ESPN's new Heat microsite that includes two full-time beat writers filing daily stories.

It's entirely within their right to do so, but I don't understand the logic. The Truehoop Network was mostly made up of small-fry bloggers doing their own thing - how was anyone going to confuse it for ESPN's product? How much of a draw is the TrueHoop Network that they felt like the old blog was going to detract from their new coverage?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

morestuff posted:

A few years back, ESPN's TrueHoop started a network that brought together a number of fan blogs under one roof. Today, the blog that covers the Heat was kicked out in order to promote ESPN's new Heat microsite that includes two full-time beat writers filing daily stories.

It's entirely within their right to do so, but I don't understand the logic. The Truehoop Network was mostly made up of small-fry bloggers doing their own thing - how was anyone going to confuse it for ESPN's product? How much of a draw is the TrueHoop Network that they felt like the old blog was going to detract from their new coverage?
Did you expect anything less from ESPN though? I sure didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

morestuff posted:

It has nothing to do with coverage. It reads like they want full editorial control, something they're not going to get from an affiliated blogger.