Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Karl Rove posted:

Jerry's exclamations are the best:

"Oh help me Rhonda!"
"Great day in the morning!"
"Oh Moses smell the roses!"

"You mean the panties your mother laid out for you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

"You mean the panties your mother laid out for you?"

Everything about that line confuses me. What does Jerry mean? Why is it so offensive?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Benagain posted:

You treat the numbers like a dial phone, so bosco would be 2676.

Granted, but bosco's numerical equivalent is actually 26726, not 2676, and 5-number PINs don't exist as far as I'm aware

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I actually love this one. It's amazingly bad.

That'd make a good album cover.

"Mrs Costanza" would be a good album name too.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

Granted, but bosco's numerical equivalent is actually 26726, not 2676, and 5-number PINs don't exist as far as I'm aware
Mine is 1-800-ILOVEBRANDNEWCARPETING.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Everything about that line confuses me. What does Jerry mean? Why is it so offensive?

That's what I love about it, even he doesn't have a clue what the gently caress he meant, George is so upset about how little sense it makes that he seems to be getting angry. As to why it is offensive? Imagine you were getting hot and heavy with your girlfriend during a screening of Schindler's List or something and she started moaning about your mother in your ear.

Also my favorite thing about the "shrinkage" scene is the way they call to Elaine and she sneaks into the room like she's involved in a big conspiracy.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

HateTheInternet posted:

I have a six digit pin number. I think you can have 5.

fusionpit
Sep 8, 2005

Does that make me crazy?
College Slice
In episode 7 of Season 2, "The Chinese Restaurant", George attempts to call an unseen character named Tatiana while waiting to be seated at the Restaurant. In the VERY NEXT EPISODE, "The Phone Message", George attempts to call a character named Carol and explain his behavior at the end of their date the night before. Before doing so, however, he ushers Jerry, Elaine, and Kramer out of Jerry's apartment, claiming "I can't call a woman with other people in the room!"

He was in a very similar, awkward situation with both women. With Tatiana, his stop mid-coitus is mirrored in his misunderstanding of Carol's invitation into her apartment.

Clearly, my immersion has been hastily ruined!
:goonsay:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why do so many people think it's impossible to have a PIN number that isn't 4 digits long, is it an American thing or something? I go to a bank that lets you have anywhere between 4 and 16 numbers long.

Jerusalem posted:

That's what I love about it, even he doesn't have a clue what the gently caress he meant, George is so upset about how little sense it makes that he seems to be getting angry. As to why it is offensive? Imagine you were getting hot and heavy with your girlfriend during a screening of Schindler's List or something and she started moaning about your mother in your ear.

This is pretty much right, it just makes absolutely no sense at all. There's no reason why anyone would ever say that and it just confuses and infuriates the people who hear it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I just realized that George's nemesis Riley (Jerkstore) was also Sam's nemesis Gary on Cheers.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Noxville posted:

I've had an IRL argument by stating that I think Larry was right in saying that it's dumb to have dinner in one restaurant before driving to a diferent one and having dessert there.

This is stupid and only a busy body with too much free time on their hands would ever suggest it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ChairMaster posted:

Why do so many people think it's impossible to have a PIN number that isn't 4 digits long, is it an American thing or something? I go to a bank that lets you have anywhere between 4 and 16 numbers long.

You guys are set up with that chip and dip system so you're not typing 16 digits every time you want to pump gas. We have to punch in our pin everywhere, so four digits is the standard.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I just realized that George's nemesis Riley (Jerkstore) was also Sam's nemesis Gary on Cheers.
You just blew my mind.

Also, every bank I've ever used has allowed me to have between 4 and 8 digits for my pin. Washington Mutual, BECU, Bank of America did, anyway. I think Group Health Credit Union made me have 4.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Of course, you are aware

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Just watched the Junior Mint episode. It made me remember how as a kid when I first saw it I didn't understand how her name, Dolores, rhymed with a female body part.

Good times.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Took me forever since it's really not pronounced the same way as clitoris.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Just watched the Junior Mint episode. It made me remember how as a kid when I first saw it I didn't understand how her name, Dolores, rhymed with a female body part.

Good times.

I guessed Regina when I first saw it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Took me forever since it's really not pronounced the same way as clitoris.

Law posted:

I guessed Regina when I first saw it.

It all depends on pronunciation. Clit-TOR-us or Clitter-us? Ra-GEE-na or Ruh-JYE-na?

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Story is the foundation of all entertainment, you must have a good story otherwise it's just masturbation!

Jerry's shocked look at this line kills me. I also like how George says masturbation in this episode but in "The Contest" they skittered around saying it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Irish Joe posted:

You guys are set up with that chip and dip system so you're not typing 16 digits every time you want to pump gas. We have to punch in our pin everywhere, so four digits is the standard.

My bank let you go up to 16 digits and that was on a normal bank card. 4 digits is just the minimum.

And does anyone actually say clitoris like that?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
He just thinks that everything that dissolves in milk is funny.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

My bank let you go up to 16 digits and that was on a normal bank card. 4 digits is just the minimum.

And does anyone actually say clitoris like that?

which way? I definitely say it the first way with the TOR

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

imac1984 posted:

which way? I definitely say it the first way with the TOR

In a way that rhymes with Dolores.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh god, I got the DVDs and I'm up to Season 3. I had to rewatch Elaine on muscle relaxants a dozen times, it hurts from laughing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrU0JNAgqI

Ghetto Sherlock
Sep 28, 2003
Elementary, my dear Watson. Whurd.

euphronius posted:

I remember when the shrinkage episode aired. It was talked about all the next week. Kids saying "shrinkage" at every opportunity.

The cultural impact of that show was immense.

This was used so well in an Arrested Development episode. 'Prison Break-In.'

" ... shrinkage. Someone saw Seinfeld last night."

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
One of my favorite early George scenes;

George: What if the pilot gets picked up and it becomes a series?

Therapist: That'd be wonderful, you'd be rich and successful.

George:Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about. God will never let me be successful...he'd kill me first! He'll never let me be happy.

Therapist:I thought you didn't believe in God?

George: I do for the bad things.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
playoff baseball is severely cutting down on my Seinfeld watching. As much as I like watching the Twins losing... :(

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

One of my favorite early George scenes;

George: What if the pilot gets picked up and it becomes a series?

Therapist: That'd be wonderful, you'd be rich and successful.

George:Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about. God will never let me be successful...he'd kill me first! He'll never let me be happy.

Therapist:I thought you didn't believe in God?

George: I do for the bad things.

This might sound dumb but I actually have no idea how the whole "pitching their own show" thing ended up. I've seen them writing it, pitching it, and in meeting. I know George hosed it up at least once but managed to salvage it. Does their show actually ever make it on TV?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr_Amazing posted:

This might sound dumb but I actually have no idea how the whole "pitching their own show" thing ended up. I've seen them writing it, pitching it, and in meeting. I know George hosed it up at least once but managed to salvage it. Does their show actually ever make it on TV?

The pilot airs and everyone seems to like it, but because of Elaine's shenanigans with the NBC Exec in charge, he ends up dying as a Greenpeace Activist and the new Network Exec doesn't like the show and shelves it.

The pilot gets used again in the Japanese tourists episode and in the final episode, but their show never makes it to air as a proper show.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

This post makes me feel pretty lame for judging you for not having watched every single episode of what i consider to be one of if not the best TV show.

Basically, the pilot for the show got made, and everything looked great, until the head guy of the network decided to go join greenpeace and raft around on the ocean for some silly cause. It turned out his replacement pretty much hated the show and decided they weren't gonna make it at all.

But then the finale happened and it almost got made except everyone went to jail.

My explanations are so lacking!

watch every episode!

e:fb and whatnot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChairMaster posted:

watch every episode!

Pretty much, I remember Seinfeld being one of the few the only sitcom that would callback to way older episodes. Not just old girlfriends or something that others did, they would call back to things they did quite a while before.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Pretty much, I remember Seinfeld being one of the few the only sitcom that would callback to way older episodes. Not just old girlfriends or something that others did, they would call back to things they did quite a while before.

IIRC the conversation at the very end of the last episode about buttons on shirts also took place in the first episode. "Haven't we had this conversation before?"

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

This is something that I love, but never noticed while watching them out of order in syndication. It wasn't until watching them on dvd that I realized how much continuity and how many callbacks there are in the show.

Rainbow Road
Mar 19, 2007

Dude, let's play some KART

Supreme Allah posted:

IIRC the conversation at the very end of the last episode about buttons on shirts also took place in the first episode. "Haven't we had this conversation before?"

Yes it was, which is awesome. I think it was one of the first jokes of the episode, too.

Also, at my work the other day one of my coworkers was texting a girl he liked then looked up at me and asked: "How do you spell breathtaking?" Ignoring the fact that a college student couldn't spell for poo poo, I laughed and laughed, partly because of the cheesiness but mostly from the Seinfeld.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
NEWMAN: I don’t care much for the beach. I freckle. . . . Is that a,..

JERRY: Drake’s Coffee Cake

NEWMAN: Wow, where did you get that?

JERRY: From my house. I got a whole box of them.

NEWMAN: Boy, that’s the full size.

JERRY: That’s your big boy.

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh god, I got the DVDs and I'm up to Season 3. I had to rewatch Elaine on muscle relaxants a dozen times, it hurts from laughing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrU0JNAgqI

The other hilarious part of this is Jerry wearing the aviators. Every time I see it I can't stop laughing.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Cane Break posted:

NEWMAN: Boy, that’s the full size.

JERRY: That’s your big boy.

I love this scene so much because Jerry has a mouthful of coffee cake and is also smirking when he delivers the line, and he holds it out at arms length and sort of showcases it, while Newman is slavering over it.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Any Jerry/Newman scene where Jerry has the upper hand is hilarious.

"It's a bit...HOT...under these lights...eh, Seinfeld?!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

T. Finn posted:

I love this scene so much because Jerry has a mouthful of coffee cake and is also smirking when he delivers the line, and he holds it out at arms length and sort of showcases it, while Newman is slavering over it.
Don't forget its superior decendant from "The Package".

"Pretty hot under these lights, eh Seinfeld? Pretty...Hot!"
"Actually, I'm quite comfortable."
*sweating, eying Jerry's can of root beer* "C-can I have a sip?"
"No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

hall n oates mom posted:

Don't forget its superior decendant from "The Package".

"Pretty hot under these lights, eh Seinfeld? Pretty...Hot!"
"Actually, I'm quite comfortable."
*sweating, eying Jerry's can of root beer* "C-can I have a sip?"
"No."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MOauy4Bfyc