Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slung Blade posted:

Where the hell do you find a 9" angle grinder? That's loving gigantic.

Biggest I've ever seen was a 7 or a 7.5 or something.
Really? They're available drat near anywhere in the UK, most tool shops will have about half a dozen different models.

They're more expensive than smaller ones, but not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Nordlocks hold the brake calipers on my GTO as well, I'd imagine the G8 uses them too. Looking at them I couldn't figure out how they worked in the time it took me to reassemble and forget about them, that's quite a cleaver design.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

FatCow posted:

that's quite a cleaver design.

:chef:

I hear Nordlocks are the way to fly when it comes to turbo manifold bolts and manifold-to-turbo studs/bolts.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Sockington posted:

I hear Nordlocks are the way to fly when it comes to turbo manifold bolts and manifold-to-turbo studs/bolts.

What kind of pricing are we talking about here?

e: Wait, looking at their info, these things should prevent thread stretching, and work as jam nuts? Do they change the torque spec? Er, I mean the torque necessary to hit spec, rather than changing the spec.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 27, 2010

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Jared592 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

I found this pretty interesting. Judging by the 80s audio-track, it makes me think these have been around for awhile, but I've never come across any.
haha I can barely see or even reach half the bolts on most cars.

This would absolutely kill me having to make sure that each of those washers was positioned correctly while tightening. Especially manifold bolts :argh:

What impact does it have on torque values?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Whitey Ford posted:

haha I can barely see or even reach half the bolts on most cars.

This would absolutely kill me having to make sure that each of those washers was positioned correctly while tightening. Especially manifold bolts :argh:

What impact does it have on torque values?

You just make sure they're facing the correct way, which doesn't sound too difficult.

The video mentioned torque values having to increase by 20%.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
looking for a recommendation for a good digital dial caliper that won't break the bank.

Thanks

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Brigdh posted:

looking for a recommendation for a good digital dial caliper that won't break the bank.

Thanks

I'm not sure how good it is, but I like this cheap Harbor Freight one: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html It measures stuff well enough for me but I don't have really exacting needs.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

I'm not sure how good it is, but I like this cheap Harbor Freight one: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html It measures stuff well enough for me but I don't have really exacting needs.

I got one of these. Right after I got it, I stacked it up against a $100+ Mitutoyo we have at work, and it was spot on. The only thing that sucks about the HF one is that you have to remove the battery after each time you use it, or it'll drain it just sitting around. Not too big a deal though, there's a little well in the foam surround of the plastic case that the battery fits right into so you don't lose it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

sbyers77 posted:

I'm sure this will interest someone so I will post it.

This afternoon I decided to test the accuracy of my Harbor Freight 3/8" drive torque wrench. The torque range goes from 5-80 ft-lbs with a stated accuracy of ±4%. I clamped a threaded rod coupler (basically a really long nut) into a vice and used a 3/4" socket on the coupler to hold the wrench as close to perpendicular to the floor as possible. After setting the wrench to the desired torque value, I used a small cable and different combinations of free-weights to measure the actual weight and distance values required to click the wrench, which are then used to calculate the measured torque.

The black dotted line is the desired values. Some values have two data points because I used a second weight combination for those settings. EDIT: These numbers are slightly off, see my post below for updated chart.

This is obviously not the most scientific test but it allows you to draw some pretty broad conclusions. Results are adequately linear although about 5% low.
I'd dropped my 1/2" clicky torque wrench and recently it's been binding, so I figured I'd whip up a quick calibration test, too! I used 18lbs 4.6oz worth of weights (verified via pitney bowes postal scale) and clamped the drive directly to my vice. After accounting for the weight of the torque wrench (1.85ft-lbs), it worked out damned near spot-on (<5%) for 20 & 25ft-lbs, which is unfortunately about all I have verifiable weights for. Doesn't mean 100ft-lbs on the wrench is actually 100ft-lbs, but it's probably at least as good as my well calibrated arm, and at least I'm confident the wrench isn't totally foobarred.

I can't recall the brand, but it's a really cheap one I got for Christmas one year. Might have been Northern Tool? Only marking on the wrench is that it was made in Taiwan.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

InitialDave posted:

Really? They're available drat near anywhere in the UK, most tool shops will have about half a dozen different models.

They're more expensive than smaller ones, but not by much.

Huh. Well, looking online I see them now. Never seen one in a store before, and I frequent specialty tool shops and welding stores quite often. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I briefly theorized that they're more common in the UK because you guys have 240v mains and we only have 120v. The current draw on our house circuitry would be a lot higher than yours, but I suppose that's not a huge deal.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

grover posted:

I'd dropped my 1/2" clicky torque wrench and recently it's been binding, so I figured I'd whip up a quick calibration test, too! I used 18lbs 4.6oz worth of weights (verified via pitney bowes postal scale) and clamped the drive directly to my vice. After accounting for the weight of the torque wrench (1.85ft-lbs), it worked out damned near spot-on (<5%) for 20 & 25ft-lbs, which is unfortunately about all I have verifiable weights for. Doesn't mean 100ft-lbs on the wrench is actually 100ft-lbs, but it's probably at least as good as my well calibrated arm, and at least I'm confident the wrench isn't totally foobarred.

I can't recall the brand, but it's a really cheap one I got for Christmas one year. Might have been Northern Tool? Only marking on the wrench is that it was made in Taiwan.

Hey, that's pretty cool. I was hoping someone else would try this so I could see their results. I don't use my torque wrenches too often, but once I get some good use out of them I plan on redoing these experiments to see if the values have drifted at all or if they stay consistent.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

sbyers77 posted:

Hey, that's pretty cool. I was hoping someone else would try this so I could see their results. I don't use my torque wrenches too often, but once I get some good use out of them I plan on redoing these experiments to see if the values have drifted at all or if they stay consistent.
I'm sad. While torquing down the control arm bolt (just put a new sway bar on and wanted to properly torque everything), I cracked my 19mm socket. Was my first socket set, and still my favorite "go to" set. Was real cheap (literally $5 for the set) taiwanese poo poo, but had a ratchet and full metric and SAE sockets up to 21mm. I've beat on them to hell and back over the last 12 years, wailing on the ratchet with my biggest framing hammer and often full-force on crowbars, never caring because it was only $5 and there's plenty more where they came from... Then this one finally gave up the ghost on a mere 119ft-lbs bolt. :( At least it didn't spall and take my eye out or anything, just crack in two places.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Let me piggyback on the caliper recommendation train and ask: what's a good micrometer that isn't going to cost me hundreds of dollars? I need to measure some shims, and I need to take the inside measurement of the dished shim, if I use my calipers I only get the highest edge.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Money Walrus posted:

Let me piggyback on the caliper recommendation train and ask: what's a good micrometer that isn't going to cost me hundreds of dollars? I need to measure some shims, and I need to take the inside measurement of the dished shim, if I use my calipers I only get the highest edge.

Ebay is your friend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Starrett-230-0-1-0001-micrometer-tool-/330457874428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf0d2fffc

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

I know I'm nitpicking a little here, but that's not going to help him with the inside of a dished shim unless it's flat in the center of the dish. Is there a special name for the kind of mic with a ball on one/both ends? I kinda need a couple too. :3:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
They make micrometers with balls on the end called a ball micrometer. They also make some for measuring threads that are sharp at the end. Those are called thread micrometers. Also, in a pinch you can use a regular micrometer with a ball bearing between the end of it and your measured surface.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Brake rotor micrometer.
Note the pointed anvil:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=78378&group_ID=1677&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

quote:

WARNING

* Wear safety goggles (user and bystanders).

Watch out for when I mic this thing, the poo poo is really gonna fly. Hey Tony, put on a grinding shield before you hit that rotor with the mic

I could see a situation where someone tries to measure a rotor while it's TURNING on a rotor lathe requiring protection, but that's just foolish anyways.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 3, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

AnomalousBoners posted:

Also, in a pinch you can use a regular micrometer with a ball bearing between the end of it and your measured surface.

:ughh:

Of course. I wasn't thinking hard enough.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Lock your tools.

A few months ago, I threw a fit because my stuff had gone missing. "stuff" meaning several sockets, and my socket set had moved around the house. Several times, without my interaction. Best I got was an "oh I'm sorry." I threatened to lock up my tools and got some astonished responses.

Last week I came home, and found my drywall saw laying in the middle of the back yard, with two yard bags full of chopped up tree parts.

This weekend, Mother gave sister permission to tear out the bathroom. To "fix" the vanity and hole in the ceiling. Sister takes my tools, and uses them. Cutting a huge hole where the medicine cabinet should be, and doing a hilariously bad job patching the hole in the ceiling. Hey look, my drywall saw showed up again, and now my putty knives are missing. And my nice tape measure is nowhere to be found.

So I go to work on my car, and I get stopped 3/4 the way through because I can't find my drill. I looked where I left it. It wasn't there. Mother swears up and down she loaned her drill to a friend. She...has...no...working...drill.

The charger, and spare lithium ion battery are sitting in my bedroom. ..... I expect to receive my $80 drill back with a fried battery.

The garage is getting cleaned. My tools are getting paint labels, and locked up. I'm sick of this poo poo.

This was never a problem when I lived with skreemer.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Nerobro posted:

Lock your tools.

Rolling toolboxes can be found pretty cheap right now. Lots of people laid off and selling stuff to get by.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I need to lock up my Dad's tools. I can never find them after he gets done using them...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've been thinking about getting a cheap random-orbital buffer to make waxing my car less of an all-day affair. Is there anything in the under $75 range that's going to treat me significantly better than the $20 HF?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-random-orbit-waxer-polisher-43424.html

Diesel_Doc
Sep 25, 2010

He is real Super Sand
I'm partial to Mac Tools, and these are some of the best tools I've ever bought from them.

http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-320131-spk9-set.aspx

I love this set. The extra-deep sockets make Ford modular V-8 tune-ups a breeze.

http://www.mactools.com/Product/tabid/120/productid/325473/variantid/316232/Default.aspx

I didn't get this exact set but it's the closest I can find on their website. Flip the drivers over and they double as seal drivers.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

eddiewalker posted:

I've been thinking about getting a cheap random-orbital buffer to make waxing my car less of an all-day affair. Is there anything in the under $75 range that's going to treat me significantly better than the $20 HF?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-random-orbit-waxer-polisher-43424.html

I bought the $30 (before 20% off) 7" polisher and while it has some balls and worked awesome on sanded plastic it did not seem to do as well on swirl removal of paint as my porter cable.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Uthor posted:

You just make sure they're facing the correct way, which doesn't sound too difficult.

The video mentioned torque values having to increase by 20%.

I just bought $30 worth of Nordlock washers because of this video.
And because today I had a turbo downpipe nut+stud come out of my turbo housing AGAIN and cause a huge leak. I've never had nuts and bolts fall out of anything as much as they like to free themselves from the turbo and downpipe.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Question for you guys (and I apologize if this is a repeat) but do oil extractors actually work?

Truth be told I am an absolute retard and utterly incapable of draining the oil in my truck or any other vehicle without re-creating a model of the Deep Water Horizon incident with almost all 4 quarts of oil in my goddamned truck. It doesn't matter how well I seem to prepare because something goes wrong, such as a massive gust of wind blowing oil in to another car 5 feet away or a leak developing in my oil pan.

Therefore, I have decided that if I really want to save money and not destroy the planet (and the driveway) every time I change my oil, I should invest in an oil extractor like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

My big question is does it work? I've had no success with those 1-man brake bleeder kits and always go back to pumping the brake every time. This looks to be a larger version of it, and I'm not sure how successful it will be. I know the engine oil will have to be hot for the best chance at success but I'm just nervous about sinking $100 into what might be a bigger version of a mity-vac.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of my workmates uses one (well, the same idea, not that particular make), and it seems to do a good job - the first time he used it, he pulled the sump plug afterwards to check, and it was pretty much bone dry.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Maybe you just need a bigger oil pan? The stuff I've seen in auto part stores these days are really crap--barely 1" lip and the size of a small dinner plate so I could see oil splashing everywhere.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

Maybe you just need a bigger oil pan? The stuff I've seen in auto part stores these days are really crap--barely 1" lip and the size of a small dinner plate so I could see oil splashing everywhere.

The oil pans around here suck poo poo. You either get those really wide ones that have the hole in the center to drain the oil into and a 1/4" lip around it (so the oil splashes goddamn EVERYWHERE), or like you said, the ones as wide as a beer can but at least are almost 2" deep. Those don't splash everywhere but you have to make sure you aim right the first time, or else you're adjusting it and wiping oil off the ground again.

Still though, not a bad idea to go around to some flea markets and see if someone's selling an older oil pan that's actually made right. I'd almost swear that they intentionally design them lovely nowadays, as if the manufacturers are being paid off by dealerships and instant oil-change places.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The shop I work on stuff at has one of these things

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17892-Transmission-Drain-Funnel/dp/B0002SR6WA

You can get bigger/different ones as-needed. They make it far easier to not make a mess, especially since we put it as close to the oil pan as possible using an adjustable cart.

The oil extractor things seem like a complex solution to a simple problem.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What about installing a petcock oil pan plug replacement? They make em with a nipple so you can attach hose, too.

e: like this:

From here.

or this:

From here.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 10, 2010

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

What about installing a petcock oil pan plug replacement? They make em with a nipple so you can attach hose, too.

From here.

or this:

From here.

Those are a good idea, much preferred to sinking $100 into an oil extractor. I'm going to shop around and see if I can find one to fit a Ranger. Not sure if Ford uses universal sizes on their drain plugs, since those sites list the V-8s and V-10s, maybe it shares a plug with the Ranger.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Just make sure you'll have the clearance. I'd love to use them but the pan plugs on my Volvos are pretty badly street-scarred. The cars aren't slammed, just old. :shobon:

You should be fine in a Ranger though.

Squishy Buddha
Jan 9, 2003

2/12/1980 Never Forget.

Splizwarf posted:

From here.

or this:

From here.

I've been using them with my diesel truck for a few years now. Seriously the best thing ever. With the plug the oil ends up hitting the skid plate and spraying all over, and then dripping for days and days. With this, it flows nicely into the pan with no mess, and I can even turn it off mid-drain if something goes awry.

For what it's worth I put a ziptie around the version I have as kind of a 'safety' just in case somehow it came open around the spring clip safety that's built in.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Splizwarf posted:

From here.

or this:

From here.
I've had Fram suredrains on my Camaro and 4Runner for probably about 6 years, and they're great. Oil changes are even more trivial than before.

The valve restricts flow, so the oil has to be hot to flow well, or else it just dribbles out. The oil only flows in the last 1/4 turn or so ( so it's easy to get everything ready without acrobatics), and it's tool-less, all just finger tight knurled fittings. I drained my oil into milk jugs a couple times (no clean-up) but lately, I just ditch the orange hose and just use my normal oil pan since I need it for the filter anyhow.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 11, 2010

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I used a $5.99 fluid transfer pump to put fresh Honda "Dual Pump" differential fluid in the rear diff of my mom's CR-V yesterday. It worked like a dream.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I thought about posting the Fram one too but their filters have such a bad reputation here that I figured I'd get a raft of poo poo about it. :v:

PBCrunch posted:

I used a $5.99 fluid transfer pump to put fresh Honda "Dual Pump" differential fluid in the rear diff of my mom's CR-V yesterday. It worked like a dream.

Where did you buy it? The Harbor Freight fluid transfer hand pumps always leak and I haven't seen them elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

grover posted:

I've had Fram suredrains on my Camaro and 4Runner for probably about 6 years, and they're great. Oil changes are even more trivial than before.

The valve restricts flow, so the oil has to be hot to flow well, or else it just dribbles out. The oil only flows in the last 1/4 turn or so ( so it's easy to get everything ready without acrobatics), and it's tool-less, all just finger tight knurled fittings. I drained my oil into milk jugs a couple times (no clean-up) but lately, I just ditch the orange hose and just use my normal oil pan since I need it for the filter anyhow.

I put one of these on my truck years ago when I still had the old 350. Unfortunately, with the 20w50 I had to run to keep some oil from not getting blown out of the valve breathers (blowby what), even if the oil was hot it took for-loving-ever for it to drain.

I suspect with synthetic oils and thinner oil grades, though, it'd probably work great.