Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
Does the G13 have modifier keys? Because otherwise it doesn't have enough buttons.

Also, it looks like I'd want to rest my hand on the third row. Why do the indentations seem to indicate that you'd rest your hand up on the second row? It doesn't make sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

very posted:

Does the G13 have modifier keys? Because otherwise it doesn't have enough buttons.

Also, it looks like I'd want to rest my hand on the third row. Why do the indentations seem to indicate that you'd rest your hand up on the second row? It doesn't make sense to me.

The indentations are in the right place because as I said, you don't use them as WASD. You use them as hotkeys for whatever game you are playing. in WoW I primarily use the first 2 rows.

The thumbstick is actually a really graceful way of replacing the WASD keys. It's my forward/back/strafe buttons for a lot of games. I thought it might be something to try and expected I would hate it, but it's genius.

You can set any key to anything, so if you wanted you could set a key for shift and use shift as a modifier. There may be a more native way of doing it with the macro language but I never bother.

As for number of buttons, idk how many you need, but even raiding as a DK in WoW I never find myself wanting for more keys. And I hotkey just about everything. I only click for my change spec/gear button and my stance bar.

In a game like BFBC2 or ME2, I only use like 6 of the keys. I even moved my primary fire button for FPS games to what is index finger button (effectively the [D] button). For sniping it prevents me from shaking the mouse at all while taping the full-auto scoped riffle.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 28, 2010

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I just ordered a Filco tenkeyless with Cherry Brown switches. I just wanted to thank everyone in the thread for providing reviews for these keyboards because if I hadn't found the thread I'd probably already have gotten one of the Logitech boards.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

The indentations are in the right place because as I said, you don't use them as WASD. You use them as hotkeys for whatever game you are playing. in WoW I primarily use the first 2 rows.

The thumbstick is actually a really graceful way of replacing the WASD keys. It's my forward/back/strafe buttons for a lot of games. I thought it might be something to try and expected I would hate it, but it's genius.

You can set any key to anything, so if you wanted you could set a key for shift and use shift as a modifier. There may be a more native way of doing it with the macro language but I never bother.

As for number of buttons, idk how many you need, but even raiding as a DK in WoW I never find myself wanting for more keys. And I hotkey just about everything. I only click for my change spec/gear button and my stance bar.

In a game like BFBC2 or ME2, I only use like 6 of the keys. I even moved my primary fire button for FPS games to what is index finger button (effectively the [D] button). For sniping it prevents me from shaking the mouse at all while taping the full-auto scoped riffle.

Ok, that sounds more appealing. I use about 35 keybinds at last count (for holy priesting), and cataclysm is going to add a few more.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

very posted:

Ok, that sounds more appealing. I use about 35 keybinds at last count (for holy priesting), and cataclysm is going to add a few more.

You need macros.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

very posted:

What helped me was basically setting 4 hotbars,
code:
[ ][c][c][c][c][c][ ]
[x][c][c][c][c][c][ ]
   [t][ ][ ][c][c]
      [j][ ][ ]
And assigning keys to them.

The [x] is escape, the [t] is my [TAB] function (I use my pinky for it, it is so much nicer than using the actual [TAB] key) and the [j] is my jump button, which I can just sorta palm with my hand underneath my pinky.

The keys marked [c] are my common keys generally used for most stuff. The 3rd row down always seems to be for my oh-poo poo buttons, whereas the first 2 rows for the usual 10-ish spells or abilities. I use all of the keys but the ones marked [c] are the ones I find best to use for general purpose things.

I always assign similar buttons for similar abilities. Like the top right-most button is always my self buff (horn of winter, water shield, commanding shout, etc...) whereas the top left button is always my taunt (I have 3 tanks I play regularly) or my dispell.

I use the 2 buttons next to the thumbstick for my vent button and shift button, which is a toggle for my mouse buttons more than my keyboard ones.

I configure power auras to alert me when abilities are ready in the lower-center screen (all of my hotbars are actually completely hidden). They generally pop up in the same general configuration as the center most 6 buttons, so I have this almost Pavlovian response to my abilities.

Like here is what the bottom of my freshly-80 prot paladin's UI looks like:

It really seems big here, but I run 2560x1600

that, of course, correlates to:
code:
[ ][ ][c][c][c][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][c][c][c][ ][ ]
   [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
      [ ][ ][ ]
Those 6 buttons.

They are basically set to show up when the ability is ready with a slight animation to make it appear not so static. All of my 5 80s are setup with similar alerts, some more complicated than others (like I have a stop sign flash in place of the PW:S button on my priest if the target has Weakened Soul).

I can't stress how nice it is to not have to assign 3 fingers to just moving around while my goddamn thumb is basically there to jump. Instead my thumb does all of my horizontal movement and my fingers can do whatever. This is true of not just WoW of course, but basically any other game.

I really hope more designs like the G13 show up. Other gameboards exist but the build quality is usually pretty shaky and not all of them have a thumbstick for movement (or panning around in SC2).

I really believe that the G13 is a graceful solution for PC gaming controllers in general, I would seriously hate to go back to using a plain keyboard ever again.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 28, 2010

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
So do you use that gameboard in just WoW or is it useful in other games like say TF2 and SC2? It seems like it would be a pain in the rear end to set up the keybindings for every single hotkey in SC2 so you can use the gameboard rather than a regular keyboard.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
So, between slashdot, geekhack, and this thread, I drank deep from the Filco koolaid and replaced my aging and increasingly squishy Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 with a Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click Otaku (cherry blues), a Filco Tactile Touch Keypad (cherry browns) and the Filco wristrest. If anyone else is considering a similar jump, here are some observations:

• Loudness of the Cherry Blues has been overstated IMO, although I am in a home office. Overall I can probably make my Ergo 4000 sound this loud on an angry day.
  • Keyfeel is the best I've ever experienced
  • I slightly prefer the sound and feel of the blue switches to the browns in the tenkeypad
  • The filco wristrest is an unusual stepped shape but the step supports the heel of my hand perfectly in position for the home keys and it feels great.
  • If I didn't have the wrist rest, I'd probably want to reverse the space bar as the leading edge is quite high. Someone on geekhack did this and it seemed pretty straightforward.
  • The red escape keys for the keyboard aren't the same shape as the escape key on the tenkeypad (which is slightly taller and a very slightly different angle). Even so, I actually quite like this as it's still easy to hit the second Esc when you want to but harder to hit it accidentally.
  • I do miss the ergonomic shape of the MS keyboard, but the smaller dimensions of the Filco board let me place the board further away for a pretty good wrist position.
  • Do not look directly at tenkeypad's blue LED with remaining eye

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Streebs posted:

So do you use that gameboard in just WoW or is it useful in other games like say TF2 and SC2? It seems like it would be a pain in the rear end to set up the keybindings for every single hotkey in SC2 so you can use the gameboard rather than a regular keyboard.

In SC2 I just use the grid layout and set the keys accordingly, though I use the right-most 14.

code:
[ ][ ][x][x][x][x][x]
[ ][ ][x][x][x][x][x]
   [ ][x][x][x][x]
      [ ][ ][ ]
With a few minor variations. I use the thumbstick for panning around and such.

I don't really play SC2 much past the campaign though as I'm poo poo at this game.

As I said I play every FPS with this thing, and I've taken to using keys on the keypad for firing and alt-fire modes (like zoom and such). Something I never though I would do. Unlike SC2 I'm absolutely not poo poo at say, BFBC2.

code:
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][R][Z][F][ ][ ]
   [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
      [ ][ ][ ]
[R] is my usual reload, [Z] is my zoom/alt fire and [F] is my primary fire.

The thing isn't some arcane or annoying thing to setup, for the most part I literally just map standard keys to the G-keys on the unit. There are "supported" games that give you actual functions you can assign, but I usually just map standard keys to the thing.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

One Swell Foop posted:

• Do not look directly at tenkeypad's blue LED with remaining eye

Yeah, that pretty well sums up a lot of blue LEDs though. I have to place something over the LED for my case if I want to sleep with my computer on, otherwise the room is drat near fully illuminated.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Daerc posted:

Yeah, that pretty well sums up a lot of blue LEDs though. I have to place something over the LED for my case if I want to sleep with my computer on, otherwise the room is drat near fully illuminated.

Sure. This one has an unusually narrow viewing angle though. drat thing paints a small neon argon blue target on the ceiling.

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 29, 2010

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
I think the issues with the blue Filco LED are overstated. I have a cherry brown Filco with the blue LEDs and they only glare if I'm reaching over my desk (like the back of my monitor or something) and my eye goes directly over the LED. 99% of the time I don't even notice it, and I hear people having DIY fixes such as sticking masking tape over it.

I use it in a well-lit office though. Can't see any blue rings on the ceiling or anything.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Anyone in the Austin area have MX browns to test out before I pull the trigger? I already tried MX blues off of a friend.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I don't have a 10-key on this keyboard so I don't have an LED that is on all of the time anyway.

However, it is always blindingly obvious (HEH) when I've left the caps lock on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm looking at buying a Filco, but I've never had a nice keyboard and don't know what type of switches I can get. I'm upgrading from the world's best keyboard: the 104-key Dell.

edit: Uses are mostly typing/internet with some Starcraft 2 thrown in and maybe some programming for fun.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 30, 2010

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Phone posted:

I'm looking at buying a Filco, but I've never had a nice keyboard and don't know what type of switches I can get. I'm upgrading from the world's best keyboard: the 104-key Dell.

edit: Uses are mostly typing/internet with some Starcraft 2 thrown in and maybe some programming for fun.

The Elite Keyboards FAQ gives a good overview of the switches available on Filco boards.

If you're typing for any length of time then you probably want the blue or the brown switches; if it's important that your typing is as quiet as possible then get the browns, otherwise get the blues. Just my opinion, of course.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
If it's important that your typing is as quiet as possible, then for God's sake don't get a Filco. Loud clicky-clicky is half the reason to get one in the first place.

jetshin
Feb 14, 2007
I just scored a Model M and another mystery mechanical keyboard from a landfill store for a buck (my friends were a bit confused as to why i was so excited buying some old dirty keyboards). The model M is quite nice, but the other keyboard turned out to have Blue SMK "Monterey" switches (which I hadn't heard of before) and I have to say I prefer these switches to the Model M and the cherry blue switch keyboard I use. The keys seem to require a little bit more force than blue switches and the click sound is less 'clacky' and much much nicer in my opinion. Does anyone else have a SMK switch keyboard? These things are awesome!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jetfire posted:

If it's important that your typing is as quiet as possible, then for God's sake don't get a Filco. Loud clicky-clicky is half the reason to get one in the first place.

Yes, loud clicky-clicky is indeed half the reason people get Filco keyboards with cherry black or brown swi-

wait what?

very
Jan 25, 2005

Browns and blacks can be as loud as you want them to be. It all depends on how you type.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I'm just noting that Filco/cherry switches are loud in comparison to many other keyboard types. If you want something quiet above other considerations, there are plenty of alternatives that make it a priority.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I love my G110 except the fact that it is too shiny. It gets bad glare off of my computer screens on white web pages.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I really don't care about noise too much. I think right now it's a toss-up personally between the browns and the blues.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
What kind of range kind I expect out of a decent bluetooth keyboard? I am looking at the Logitech wireless keyboard on the first page of this thread. Is 15' a reasonable expectation? It wouldn't be used for a whole lot except for minor controlling of media related applications.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Edit: OK, that one isn't Bluetooth, and it looks like it uses a micro receiver, so I don't know.

My Logitech MX5500 is Bluetooth and works at 12' through drywall, but only with the pack-of-gum size USB Logitech BT receiver - the micro receiver I'd been using before had a much smaller range.

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 4, 2010

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Anyone else preordering the Razer Blackwidow? To me it seems like a good way to get into cherry-switched mechanical keyboards and somewhat cheaper than those Filcos with the addition of fancy gaming feautures.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

I received my Razer Blackwidow today. Piano black finish, bad if you live with cats, I can already see the dust and hair build up. The layout feels weird for now, there's extra keys on the left side and my pinky keeps resting on them, shifting my typing one step to the left. I also keep hitting CAPSLOCK, which is a pain in the rear end. But I guess it's mostly getting used to the layout, as usual.

Typing feels fast, and the clicky-clacky sound is nice. I won't be using the macro option, so I can't comment on it.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Did any of you guys watch The Social Network? I think I saw the main character pull out an IBM model M during the creation of facesmash.com scene. Prior to that he was just typing on his laptop's keyboard.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

giZm posted:

I received my Razer Blackwidow today. Piano black finish, bad if you live with cats, I can already see the dust and hair build up. The layout feels weird for now, there's extra keys on the left side and my pinky keeps resting on them, shifting my typing one step to the left. I also keep hitting CAPSLOCK, which is a pain in the rear end. But I guess it's mostly getting used to the layout, as usual.

Typing feels fast, and the clicky-clacky sound is nice. I won't be using the macro option, so I can't comment on it.

Did you get the fancy light up one or the regular one?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bought the Filco Blue tenkeyless. I hope I like it. :ohdear:

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Phone posted:

Bought the Filco Blue tenkeyless. I hope I like it. :ohdear:

I don't think you'll regret that choice. I'd be interested in your impressions when it arrives.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Trisk posted:

Did you get the fancy light up one or the regular one?
I have the regular one. I'm too old to have fancy light up stuff :)

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Been using browns (Filco) for the last year or so, keeping my keyboard at work. I got sick of using a dome keyboard at home though, so I've just dropped a ton on some blues for work.

I'll give you my thoughts on my preference when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow).

edit: Argh, out of stock :(
e2: Got one from elsewhere!

weapey fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 7, 2010

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

giZm posted:

I have the regular one. I'm too old to have fancy light up stuff :)

What are you impressions after using the blackwidow for a couple of days?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

kri kri posted:

What are you impressions after using the blackwidow for a couple of days?
It's a good keyboard, now that I've forced the new layout into my muscle memory. Typing is fast, the texture feels good under my finger tips, you need very little movement to trigger the keys (2mm I think), my cats hate the sound of clickyclacky, glossy finish still sucks for a keyboard.
I also disabled Caps-Lock via registry, gently caress that key. So useless. Still haven't tried the macro software though.

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007
I just got the blackwidow too. The layout will definitely take some getting used to, and the Enter key seems really small. Other than that though I'm impressed. It's SO loud, but that's because I've never had or been around a mechanical keyboard before. Keys feel awesome.

Time to play some Starcraft!

very
Jan 25, 2005

The black widow website is dumb.

How are you guys enjoying your hyperesponse™ keys?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

very posted:

How are you guys enjoying your hyperesponse™ keys?
My left pinky rests on left shift, and my thumbs on space. I constantly get ranDom capital letters and extra sp aces. Still needs some more training, but overall I like it a lot.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

New Character posted:

I just got the blackwidow too. The layout will definitely take some getting used to, and the Enter key seems really small. Other than that though I'm impressed. It's SO loud, but that's because I've never had or been around a mechanical keyboard before. Keys feel awesome.

Time to play some Starcraft!

Are you in the US? The availability date on the Razer website seems to be pushed back again and my Amazon perorder still hasn't said anything about a ship date. I probably should have preordered directly from the Razer site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007

Trisk posted:

Are you in the US? The availability date on the Razer website seems to be pushed back again and my Amazon perorder still hasn't said anything about a ship date. I probably should have preordered directly from the Razer site.

Nope, I'm in the UK. I checked the razer website randomly the other day and saw that they were in stock and available for next day delivery so thought why not. It's weird because it's been really difficult to get my hands on a mechanical keyboard before now as nobody seems to deliver to Europe.

• Locked thread