Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dodgeball posted:

Just a reminder that Mort is the poo poo. Carry on.

I randomly read a few pages from that link and I am just reminded that Kat is the poo poo.

:science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ChairMaster posted:

I have a better idea you guys.

How about Smitty brings order to the situation by throwing the stone and hitting a bird. And Parley arrived because she was watching a romantic movie and is in love with Smitty.

Seriously here, he's not god. He just has the power to make everything boring.

If this is your idea of boring I'd hate to see you on Spring Break.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cabbit posted:

If this is your idea of boring I'd hate to see you on Spring Break.

Spring Break Smitty should totally be a guest week theme.

He'd make the perfect party.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Brannock posted:

Spring Break Smitty should totally be a guest week theme.

He'd make the perfect party.
Can you imagine having Smitty as a housemate? You could throw a huge, tear-the-house-down kegger every night of the week, and no matter how rowdy it got there wouldn't be so much as a cup left out on the coffee table the next morning.

On a more serious note, I was thinking about Smitty's powers. He puts things into order, but it's not his idea of "order". It seems like it's more the universe's idea of order, perhaps, and Smitty has no real control over it. The blinker stone and the bird is a good example of this; Smitty had no intentions of hitting the bird with the stone.

Have we seen Smitty's room yet? I imagine he has friends over to hang out and they get the idea that he's some kind of insane neat-freak because there isn't so much as a speck of dust out of place. And try as he might, he can't dissuade them of the idea because he couldn't even hang a poster on the wall slightly askew, even if he wanted to. Kind of sad.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

I randomly read a few pages from that link and I am just reminded that Kat is the poo poo.

:science:

I randomly read a few pages from that link and - Annie you poop stop cribbing off Donlan! This is why bad things happen to you.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

McGravin posted:

Can you imagine having Smitty as a housemate? You could throw a huge, tear-the-house-down kegger every night of the week, and no matter how rowdy it got there wouldn't be so much as a cup left out on the coffee table the next morning.

On a more serious note, I was thinking about Smitty's powers. He puts things into order, but it's not his idea of "order".

But after a party the expected state is a messy house. Which could mean that through Smitty's ill-defined powers of organization even the mildest of parties would end with a smoldering crater.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Psych posted:

But after a party the expected state is a messy house. Which could mean that through Smitty's ill-defined powers of organization even the mildest of parties would end with a smoldering crater.

I think we're treading dangerously close to a philosophical and semantic argument about "order", "chaos", and "expected state", and I regret bringing it up.

Yes, the expected state of almost any situation, especially one with randomosity involved, is chaos. But Smitty doesn't find the expected state, he finds order.

If you toss a deck of cards over your shoulder, you'd expect them to land in a random pile. If you throw a gemstone in the direction of a chasm, you'd expect it not to hit a bird in mid-flight. These are obviously not the case for Smitty.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGravin posted:

If Smitty's power is to make everything boring, as seen in the (Spacemonauts?) episode, the party would suck and never get off the ground.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well in the Spacemonauts thing, he made things more boring because he accidentally reverted the scenario to its most orderly state, which was the problem being solved.

I'd go by the theory that creating order isn't the extent of Smitty's powers, that's just how those powers are expressed when he isn't thinking about it. So he can absentmindedly throw a pack of cards over his shoulder have them land in a sorted deck, and that's a subconscious result of his power. If he has a goal in mind, such as getting the blinker stone to the shore of the cliff, his powers see to it that it gets done.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Lord of Hats posted:

If he has a goal in mind, such as getting the blinker stone to the shore of the cliff, his powers see to it that it gets done.

He didn't have that goal in mind at all, they just told him to throw it.

Everything he touches turns to boring, that is precisely what his power is.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I really like that the ethereal versions of the human characters are more realistically drawn than the normal versions.

Also I can only imagine Smitty's relationships being very boring :geno:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I imagine when Smitty and Parley get married, they just fast forward to the point where they're both dead and buried next to each other.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 3, 2010

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm under the impression that trying to explicitly define the powers of people in the Gunnerkrigg universe is a mistake, because it's not as important as their human (or nonhuman) interactions. I hope Tom doesn't bend to the pressures of his fans too much in this respect. If Tom gets bogged down trying to explain how every single thing works and spelling it out in the comic proper, then that'll halt progression of the comic from a plot perspective. ... And for what? This most recent chapter has actually made me wonder a lot about the impact Tom's fans have on his work. It feels like the ambiguity of the comic has gone down, and I suspect this may be a result of him trying to accommodate people who are not, perhaps, in the right mental state to enjoy it as he originally planned. I just hope that Tom makes the comic in a way he finds personally satisfying.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Pick posted:

I hope Tom doesn't bend to the pressures of his fans too much in this respect. If Tom gets bogged down trying to explain how every single thing works and spelling it out in the comic proper, then that'll halt progression of the comic from a plot perspective.

According to the author's comments, the way that etheric powers work is "It just does, okay?" Fans asking about why Smitty's power works the way it does will probably just get pointed there until they get it.

Catiline
Jan 3, 2008
My mother and sister are both basically in love with this comic and I think it's really cool, especially having grown up on a collection of those old English boarding-school novels.

Also my Jones theory is that Jones is really, really strong.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well in the Spacemonauts thing, he made things more boring because he accidentally reverted the scenario to its most orderly state, which was the problem being solved.

:colbert: The cops would show up as guest 1, then. Smitty makes things boring. :colbert:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pick posted:

The fans!!

I'm not really seeing how this chapter is any less ambiguous than the rest of the comics - I think you're just seeing some plot lines that have previously been hinted at start to hit their peaks. You can't hint at everything for the entire duration of the story.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
Eventually loose ends do need to be explained. Also, so far as I understand it, Tom works far enough ahead in the story that any comments we make here wouldn't make an impact we'd notice.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm just sad that these won't be the next two pages:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Parley noooo :(

Heheheh just kidding. Looks like it'll be awhile before Annie can deal with Jeanne though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Smitty what are you doing she wants to be held HOLD HER

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

My reaction to this update: :neckbeard:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's gonna get all the smooches.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
This isn't Hollywood, I doubt her first reaction after getting face-to-face with a homicidal ghost with a tragic backstory is going to be "let's make out".

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
In like 5 chapters we will see Antimony use coyote's fang. (What could possibly go wrong with a gift from Coyote?)

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Fuego Fish posted:

This isn't Hollywood, I doubt her first reaction after getting face-to-face with a homicidal ghost with a tragic backstory is going to be "let's make out".

Haven't you ever taken a date to a scary movie? It's like that but times a thousand.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

Haven't you ever taken a date to a scary movie?

Are you sure you remember what forum you're in.

If only Smitty had been there, he could have made it all boring. Instead of having horrifying visions of murdered loves and almost getting sliced by a vengeful ghost, Annie and Parley and Smitty would have sat down and yawned a bit while Jeanne droned on in monotone about every event of her life and afterlife.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Haven't you ever taken a date to a scary movie? It's like that but times a thousand.
There's a biiiit of a difference between "startled by a jump-scare" and "rage fueled spirit almost murdered your soul".

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

This page is sad. It needs more Coyote. Here is the Coyote you need.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brannock posted:

I'm not really seeing how this chapter is any less ambiguous than the rest of the comics - I think you're just seeing some plot lines that have previously been hinted at start to hit their peaks. You can't hint at everything for the entire duration of the story.
It's not merely a question of loose ends; they've been tied up before, after all. However, pages like this strike me as unusually unsubtle, to a conspicuous extent. Same with the previous page (black and red plus brooding angle plus bird with angry eyes = bad, hair with color gradient binding two things = these things are connected, etc.) In comparison to the flashback chapter as shown by the camera robot, it seems excessively straightforward. But hey, that's just my opinion. As I said, I just hope Tom continues to make the comic in a way he finds fulfulling.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Pick posted:

pages like this

Pages like that strike me as beautiful and I wish it was a poster; I would buy like 20.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Pick posted:

In comparison to the flashback chapter as shown by the camera robot, it seems excessively straightforward.

True. I mean, it is pretty terrible when an author tries to explain a thing clearly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

True. I mean, it is pretty terrible when an author tries to explain a thing clearly.

There's a difference between clear communication and oversimplication. Animal Farm is a story with what I'd consider an unsophisticated style, but at no point is there a paragraph saying, "And then all the animals cried. They cried big ol' tears because they were sad about the bad things the pigs were doing. The pigs were being mean to the other animals so the other animals were sad. Also the pigs are the Soviets." Again, this is just my personal take on the matter.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
You'd rather they build a robot that excavates the skeletons of both Jeane and the elf, followed by an extensive forensic analysis of the body to determine approximate time and cause of death for both parties before speculating upon possible situations wherein the wounds are explained?

Micgael fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 4, 2010

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

How complex and subtle did you want the story to be, man? Jeanne's memories have no words and are highly stylized. The page you linked gets across an integral part of Jeanne's story without words and in a single panel -- that she and Elf were separated when Coyote carved the gorge into the world. (Frankly, the use of Coyote's etheric pattern to divide the two lovers, rather than showing him carving it or even mentioning him by name, seems like a good use of subtlety to me.)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

This page is sad.

The saddest page! :qq:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Everyone should make Boxbot their windows login icon.

I did this for my work PC. It's like my own sad little joke about my job :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Psion posted:

Everyone should make Boxbot their windows login icon.

I did this for my work PC. It's like my own sad little joke about my job :v:
I will do this! As soon as I find myself a good picture of boxbot.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

Fuego Fish posted:

Actually, that wouldn't be an uncommon reaction to intense stress. Especially if caused by a crazy jealous ghost lady that wanted to kill you for being happy. It's less about passion and more about reassurance, like the way people with OCD constantly touch things to make reality feel more stable. In all probability it'll simply be what you see now though, her having trouble letting go of Smitty for a bit. It's physically expressing an emotional need. To keep people close to you close to you. Psychologically speaking, make outs keep someone pretty close to you. Also considered to be a fun thing, and another reaction to psychological trauma can sometimes be a manic need to do something not completely horrifying. Even if you aren't actually *having* fun, you are doing a fun thing and a fun thing is not an all consuming pit of despair from which no joy can ever escape, like a black hole of utter nihilism.

I'm sure it'll just be stress hugs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

More to the point then whether this experience will lead to make outs, I wonder if Parley will still be interested in becoming a medium after an angry ghost tried to take her heart.