Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Your haiku inspired me.

I love just going down there every few hours and popping a few tricks to stay awake/alert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Broken leg yaaaaay

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

boydx posted:

Broken leg yaaaaay

story?

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

RobotEmpire posted:

story?

Not even skating related. Messing about with a boogie board while on holiday in Florida. Jumped on it and the drat thing slid away from me breaking my fibula in two. I had just bought a new set up two days before!

Had to get a plate and 6 screws

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
^ ohhhh love the giant carpentry screws.

New deck day! Heroin Toxic Fos sig model, Gunsho graphic.

I'm really digging all the new Heroin stuff, I love the garish colours and sketchy designs. This thing's massive too, 8.5 I think and slightly asymmetrical like my old Heroin deck. It's getting clear gripped on top.

GhostGuy
Sep 3, 2009
Well son of a bitch. I was practicing my turns on an embankment and slid out on a big one. Went down hard, split my eyebrow open.

I don't think it's as bad as it looks.

Deciding if I need a stitch or two now. My mom says I might, I don't think do. We'll see.

Shoulder hurts and wrist hurts, but it doesn't feel as bad as when I separated it a while back, so hopefully it'll be okay.

iRoNgHosT
Mar 10, 2003

www.fusionball.com
I'm a huge fan of skateboarding, but ever since I broke my arm twice 12 years ago, I leave the skating to the pros, or my little brother. He started skating on my old board when I gave it up in favor of playing music, and he has been at it ever since.

The kid just turned 21, moved to SF at 18, and recently moved from SF to NYC, all to pursue his love of skateboarding. Apparently he is pretty drat good these days, and rides am for a lot of companies, namely Paradise Wheels and Bloodwizard.

He just had a new video posted at Transworld, and wanted to know what you guys think, since I'm not the best judge of skating skill. My bro isnt a goon, but whenever he is staying at my place, he always ends up in the crackhead club house.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/1000122637/news/aaron-herrington-paradise-wheels-clip/

Let me know what you guys think.

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.

Mugmoor posted:

Man I don't know what I'm gonna do once the snow hits. I guess Snowboard but I can't do that any drat time I want to like I can with longboarding :(. What do you guys usually end up doing?

Skateboarding is my off-season, so I'm gonna shred my loving balls off. Unfortunately it looks like September is the only month this year I'm not going to get to go snowboarding. If you're a student, you should look into discount passes. When I was in college, I paid less than $300 for my season pass.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

iRoNgHosT posted:

Your bro rips!

Uncle Leo
Oct 16, 2009

iRoNgHosT posted:

I'm a huge fan of skateboarding, but ever since I broke my arm twice 12 years ago, I leave the skating to the pros, or my little brother. He started skating on my old board when I gave it up in favor of playing music, and he has been at it ever since.

The kid just turned 21, moved to SF at 18, and recently moved from SF to NYC, all to pursue his love of skateboarding. Apparently he is pretty drat good these days, and rides am for a lot of companies, namely Paradise Wheels and Bloodwizard.

He just had a new video posted at Transworld, and wanted to know what you guys think, since I'm not the best judge of skating skill. My bro isnt a goon, but whenever he is staying at my place, he always ends up in the crackhead club house.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/1000122637/news/aaron-herrington-paradise-wheels-clip/

This is awesome! With a little switch stuff added into the mix this could look like a pro vid.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Uncle Leo posted:

This is awesome! With a little switch stuff added into the mix this could look like a pro vid.

Seriously, that and a higher quality camera and it would fit pretty drat easily into a high class pro comp.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Your bro rips!

Seconded, it was pretty neat!

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

iRoNgHosT posted:

That tre flip road gap was nice. Always a fan of SF lines

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
God I love weekends. Skated till 3am last night with some buds and I'm so close to getting 4 wheel standies dialed in.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What the hell is a four wheel standie

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

What the hell is a four wheel standie

it is very similar to a double pits to chesty maneuver

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Honestly a four wheel standie just sounds like you're standing in your deck.

I was practicing shove-it > nose stall on a curb last night but it quickly turned into shove-it > nose manual up the curb and at the end I was sweaty and :smug: about the whole thing.

Seeing Eye Duck
Mar 30, 2008

"I may not be able to see all the bullshit going on in here! But he can!"

Just picked up this deck. Got a set of Thunder Hollowed trucks, and some type S wheels 51mm. FDK bearings, ready to skate some flatland, which is all we have here in Tampa.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I love Mystery decks. They're so loving slick.

GhostGuy
Sep 3, 2009
Still have a pretty good bump where I bonked my noggin a while back.
I'll give it a week and then talk to a doc.

On the plus side, it seems to have healed pretty well aside from that. And my shoulder is feeling better.

Still haven't ridden my board for anything other than transportation since though :(

Seeing Eye Duck
Mar 30, 2008

"I may not be able to see all the bullshit going on in here! But he can!"

Whalley posted:

Yeah, I dig them too. I like how clean they are, and the pop lasts forever on these things. Just a sick board all around. Ill put up some shots I just took on a three stair.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Whalley posted:

Really? I skated a Mystery deck and absolutely hated it. The pop didn't last and the shape was weird... it felt really flat. The white dip bugged me a lot too. Tom Asta is a beast though, switch heel LOVE is insane. I'm glad they are ditching the black/white gimmick and doing colour stuff now. Also... this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKSRB3nF1Bc

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
This belongs here:

Wonder Woman chasing down bad guys on a skateboard from the old live action show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y_Gro8hRBE

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Haha I love how she puts on a helmet before the chase! Safety first!

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Wonder Woman pushes mongo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm disappointed the skateboard wasn't invisible :colbert:

GhostGuy
Sep 3, 2009
Anyone have any tips for riding switch? I'm regular foot, and I'd really like to learn to ride goofy too.
I'm slowly slowly getting better at it. I can ride straight and do slight leaning turns, but I can't push for poo poo. I can "kind of" push mongo, but if I try to push the right way, my body just can't figure out how to balance.
I'd eventually like to be able to surf goofy so I can get some frontside lefts, but that'll probably take a while...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've never even pondered learning to pump switch. Is that something that people do? Like when pros ride switch do they pump switch too? I've always just pumped regular and then turned around with a hop or flipped myself and the board around as I'm moving.

GhostGuy
Sep 3, 2009
I don't see too many people doing it, but I could just have poor observational skills.
It'd definitely be a nice skill to have though. I go on long skateboard rides sometimes just for the hell of it, and my right leg hurts like a bitch the next day after a really long one.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

I've never even pondered learning to pump switch. Is that something that people do? Like when pros ride switch do they pump switch too? I've always just pumped regular and then turned around with a hop or flipped myself and the board around as I'm moving.

Yes, especially with the younger pro's. Most of the older pro's still push mongo for switch.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
gently caress the rain in Montreal. It isn't that cold so I thought I'd get a few days of riding before the cold came but it's just so goddamn rainy i can't do poo poo.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
I just got back from San Francisco and you guys are loving spoiled with those silky sidewalks. Time to bump along down my lovely eroded Washington cement now. :smith:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

RollingBoBo posted:

gently caress the rain in Montreal. It isn't that cold so I thought I'd get a few days of riding before the cold came but it's just so goddamn rainy i can't do poo poo.

I hear that... I've been waiting for a nice sunny day so I can head up the mountain and skate those ledges one more time before it gets too crappy out.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Hot drat...

A prototype from Longboard Larry... 34" long, 24" wheelbase I believe... definitely want.

I've been off board for a little while, was in the hospital (diabetes) and have been on IV meds at home since. I also fell down the stairs and smacked my knee, but I think I sould be good for a light cruise tomorrow. Yay skating!

By the way, a "4-wheel standy" is a stand-up slide where all 4 wheels slide

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

GhostGuy posted:

Anyone have any tips for riding switch? I'm regular foot, and I'd really like to learn to ride goofy too.
I'm slowly slowly getting better at it. I can ride straight and do slight leaning turns, but I can't push for poo poo. I can "kind of" push mongo, but if I try to push the right way, my body just can't figure out how to balance.
I'd eventually like to be able to surf goofy so I can get some frontside lefts, but that'll probably take a while...

just takes practice. when i skated when i was younger i pushed mongo since then taught myself to push regular so i have no problems pushing either way.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have been out of the skate scene since the early 90's. I think my last board I bought was either a Zorlac Pushead Metallica or a Santa Cruz Street Creeper. Now I have a 10 year old boy that wants to get into skating and I have a couple of questions.

- Is 10 too young for him to get a serious board? I didn't get into skating until I was 14 or so, but he keeps asking me for a serious outfit.

- He is tall for his age and he already wears a size 9 shoe. What size board should I go with?

I was planning to go with the stuff I know from my youth (Independent Trucks and Spitfire wheels), but what should I be looking for in terms of getting a decent deck? I did showed him that Heroin deck on here and he went crazy over the design.

Any other information I should know before I help him buy his first serious deck?

iRoNgHosT
Mar 10, 2003

www.fusionball.com
So my bro had a new video out on the Huf website, and I know you guys liked his stuff before, so here he is, doing more of what I could never do. Then again, his wrists are so hosed he could never play guitar like me. Sibling rivalry at it's best?

http://blog.hufsf.com/?p=1293

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

nate fisher posted:

I have been out of the skate scene since the early 90's. I think my last board I bought was either a Zorlac Pushead Metallica or a Santa Cruz Street Creeper. Now I have a 10 year old boy that wants to get into skating and I have a couple of questions.

- Is 10 too young for him to get a serious board? I didn't get into skating until I was 14 or so, but he keeps asking me for a serious outfit.

- He is tall for his age and he already wears a size 9 shoe. What size board should I go with?

I was planning to go with the stuff I know from my youth (Independent Trucks and Spitfire wheels), but what should I be looking for in terms of getting a decent deck? I did showed him that Heroin deck on here and he went crazy over the design.

Any other information I should know before I help him buy his first serious deck?

He isn't too young to start, there really is no starting age. Go to an actual skateshop and setup a board for him, that would be the most helpful.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

nate fisher posted:

There's youtube videos of 6 year olds doing... hang on

This kid's fuckin' six years old, ten's easily old enough for a good board.

Also, I'm a size 9, I ride an 8" board but 7.5s and 8.5s feel just fine too. Take him to a shop and see what he's comfortable on, he might prefer a smaller deck, he might like larger ones, it all depends on the rider. Decks are decks, outside of small differences (like Mystery's flatness, enjoi's assymmetry, etc) they're all the same. What you learn on doesn't really matter, so long as you like what you stand on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Horizontal Tree posted:

A prototype from Longboard Larry... 34" long, 24" wheelbase I believe... definitely want.

Looks ace.. What kind of board is that? Also, those look like reverse kp trucks but with square hangers. Is it the illicit son of a Bennet and a Randal?