Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Moruitelda posted:

+1. I'm sure I could do my clutch with help, but I'm not sure I could even get it out without damaging something. I've done a pad/rotor job once and I could have done it alone, but it seemed mighty daunting to attempt without help.

You in MA?

CLUTCH PARTY MASSACHUSETTS '10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
You clutch replacing folk ought to read this:http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=5860. The third page will be quite useful for you.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Shlomo Palestein posted:

You in MA?

CLUTCH PARTY MASSACHUSETTS '10

IL. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Clutch job is easy, but if it's your first time then hopefully it isn't your only car so you can take your time. Definitely replace the pilot bearing as well (bearing in the flywheel, included with most clutch kits). Mine was seized at 86k and making a terrible noise.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

DreamOn13 posted:

Clutch job is easy, but if it's your first time then hopefully it isn't your only car so you can take your time. Definitely replace the pilot bearing as well (bearing in the flywheel, included with most clutch kits). Mine was seized at 86k and making a terrible noise.

I can definitely commute with my girlfriend, but my worry is getting the car high enough in the parking lot. :/

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Cool article on speedhunters today featuring some impressive miatas and rx'es.

edit: link died and fixed wtfx

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 30, 2010

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Dozens of cars and no torque to be found.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Piano posted:

Cool article on speedhunters today featuring some impressive miatas and rx'es.

Everyone hates the NB :(

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

And part 2 from today.

There's one nb :v:

This color scheme is loving rad

Sup kevlar

Oh, japan, never change...

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Piano posted:

Sup kevlar

Oh, japan, never change...
It's beautiful.

Is the PCV valve plugged back into the head on the other side? wtf?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like it goes to the catch can first.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So if I buy the 949 clutch and flywheel together, can I get the 1.6 pair and put them in my 1.8 (99 NB)? I'd save a bunch of money that way, and it looks like it doesn't matter so long as the clutch and flywheel are matched...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Shlomo Palestein posted:

So if I buy the 949 clutch and flywheel together, can I get the 1.6 pair and put them in my 1.8 (99 NB)? I'd save a bunch of money that way, and it looks like it doesn't matter so long as the clutch and flywheel are matched...

If 1.6 guys can use a 1.8 clutch and flywheel I don't see why you couldn't switch to 1.6 stuff. I imagine people have done it who are crazy and want to save a few pounds of weight.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

NBII steering wheel rocks.

I also completed my mini amplifier project. Sound quality is much better than the aux>tape deck adapter I was using, volume is plenty available as well. Definitely recommended. Total cost was $15 for a blanking plate, $5 for a radio harness so I could avoid hacking up my OEM wiring, and $16 for the amplifier (all prices shipped).

destructo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 3, 2010

her0n
Sep 13, 2006

hey look the world is covered in snail slime
I sealed the deal on this today:

'04 reg Mazda MX-5 1.8i S-VT Sport in 'Maroon'. 26,000 miles on the clock.

Came with the hard top, storage bag and tonneau cover too! Have to wait for them to send off the paperwork to transfer their private plates over. Should have it within a couple weeks!

So excited right now. First 'proper' car! My previous was an '00 1.2 Fiat Punto :I

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

her0n posted:

I sealed the deal on this today:

Looks really nice, post pics with hardtop too!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Someone want to tell me what/where to get a replacement for my motorized NA radio antenna? I just want something cheap and relatively easy to hook up.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Shlomo Palestein posted:

This is correct. Any clutch can go on any Miata as long as the clutch, flywheel and PP are matched.

I just drove the car for the first time on the new motor yesterday. Some guys laughed at me. I'm using the excuse that it's because I had no hood or front bumper and not because it's a Miata. Hopefully putting the Megasquirt in tonite.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

FatCow posted:

This is correct. Any clutch can go on any Miata as long as the clutch, flywheel and PP are matched.

I just drove the car for the first time on the new motor yesterday. Some guys laughed at me. I'm using the excuse that it's because I had no hood or front bumper and not because it's a Miata. Hopefully putting the Megasquirt in tonite.

What's a PP?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Your ding-dong, gosh.

e: pressure plate

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pressure plate

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Cool. No issues with going 10lbs on the flywheel then? It's too late, as I've already ordered it, but I'm not using forced induction or anything; my biggest worry now is just getting used to the required amount of gas anew, but that's not a huge deal.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I just installed http://949racing.com/twindiscclutchmiata.aspx and it took me about 2 starts to figure out how to drive again. The whole assembly weighs a bit more than just your flywheel. Starting on a hill might be a bit interesting but the Miata weighs so little it's not bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I posted this on miata.net, which was loving worthless because it wasn't "are these sunvisors good!?!?!", and posted the same on miataturbo, which gave me some direction, but alas... the problem still exists.

I changed the timing belt and waterpump roughly 1 month ago because I had a rad coolant leak. The change went pretty well, and I'm not leaking coolant. However, an obnoxious noise made itself present and I'm not 100% sure if it was there beforehand (link later).

What I've done: I changed out the HLAs because it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust side of the valvetrain. Changed the HLAs with new ones... sound is still there. I pulled off the exhaust shield... sound is still there. Pulled off the belt for the PS/AC... sound is still there.

I took it to a reputable race shop for a tech day last week, and I stumped the techs and the owner when they pointed to the valvetrain and I pulled off the valve cover. However, one of the guys said that my new timing belt has weird wear on it and then pointed me in the direction of a tensioner being bad. So I bought an OEM belt, tensioner, and idler with the return policy of "if I can't tell it's not new, you can return it".

I haven't pulled apart my car yet to check out the eBay tensioner, but I figured I should post it here and see what you guys have to say. Note that it idles absolutely fine, and the noise only pops up at revs above 2k or so.

THE NOISE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHAp2_0yNjA

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

destructo posted:

NBII steering wheel rocks.

Whoa.. those bolt right on?!?! That's the ONLY thing I hate about my NA interior!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone: You sure it's not an exhaust leak? Seafoam it, I bet you get smoke out from between the manifold ports and the exhaust manifold.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Bought a first generation MX5 1.8cc a couple of days ago and just saw this thread. It's such an amazing and smooth ride. It was built in 1995 and there's a couple of imperfections to go with the incredibly high mileage of 160k (recently serviced with a new cambelt fitted at least) but I'm incredibly pleased with the acquisition. I'll get some images up tomorrow when it's daylight.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Blaise posted:

Whoa.. those bolt right on?!?! That's the ONLY thing I hate about my NA interior!
Yep, you can either replace the NA clockspring with one from the NB, or drill two small holes in the wheel (quite easy, which is what I did). You should be able to sell your NA wheel for $60-100 with the airbag which recoups a good chunk of the cost. I paid $120 shipped for my NB wheel

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Phone: You sure it's not an exhaust leak?  Seafoam it, I bet you get smoke out from between the manifold ports and the exhaust manifold.

I seafoamed it but didn't have the exhaust shield off and I didn't see any smoke or anything. I just poured about 2/5ths of a can into the crank in an effort to get it to shut up. 

In other news, I drove my car briefly today and it sounds like the wheel bearings sound like they're about to poo poo themselves. 

Anybody have an opinion on running rotella t6 5w40? The race shop guy flipped out when I was like "yeah, it's a diesel truck oil".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You wouldn't see any smoke if you dumped it in the crankcase - you only get smokeshows by dumping it in so that it gets burned in the combustion chamber (i.e. brake booster line or similar)

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

Anybody have an opinion on running rotella t6 5w40? The race shop guy flipped out when I was like "yeah, it's a diesel truck oil".
Plenty of MT.net folks run it, I haven't personally.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So are the miata.net forums worth reading or is there a better place?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They have a couple of good sections. If you come to them with a question that isn't in the FAQ or garage section and it isn't about retarded poo poo that you tack onto your cabin or what you named your Miata, it's pretty bad.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Phone posted:

I run it in my 16v Scirocco with zero problems.

As for your noise issue, if you don't have a mechanics stethoscope to listen for the sound, you can put a long screwdriver against your ear and touch it to different parts of the motor where the noise is coming from to try and get a fix on where it's coming from.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My friend lent me his. Good news: it's not the block. Still sounds like it's coming from the valvetrain, but everything looks good under there. :smith:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

djfooboo posted:

So are the miata.net forums worth reading or is there a better place?

They are on average pretty much a bunch of 40/50 year old dudes and you get what you expect from that. Nothing wrong with it, but mainly they go on and on about their inane opinions with a special emphasis on completely useless anecdotes. If you sift through that stuff, there's some exceptionally comprehensive technical info to be found. They are pretty conservative towards modifications, performance or otherwise, and really love the stock car. People get flak for replacing the wheels and such. It's dumb. Just don't bother asking their opinion on anything subjective. Oh, also like less than 10% of them know how to post pictures.

Clubroadster is just the opposite, mostly hyper-retarded teenagers, but they are really progressive towards modifications, and there are some people on there doing some truly interesting stuff, especially in the build threads.

Miataturbo is just wierd.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Looking at NCs in Canada:

I have my eye on a 2008 gs with 16k (~!!!!!) and PRHT for 24,500 (before taxes)

or I could also get a end of year sale 2010 gx soft top (no options, not even air conditioning) for 23,990 (with a $1000 pre paid visa thing) but I havent bargained for this one yet so who knows if it can go down further. Recent graduate and a supposed military discount also apply, in short its cheaper. I also prefer the colour...but:

Will not having the LSD, DSC, 6 spd really hurt? Although the PRHT is cool kit I prefer the soft top for looks, and simplicity. I didn't really get a feel for the lack of sport features on the 2010 during a test drive, and I don't intend to race it (if I take it to the track it will be more about learning to drive than being competitive).

Can anyone give me any advice?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone in Wa need a Miata? This seems like a great deal:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/1988858954.html

So no opinions at all on replacement antennae?

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Phone: Did you change your cam seals? I seem to recall some valvetrain-like noise coming from people not re-tightening their cam sprockets correctly.

As far as forums stereotypes go

miata.net - wine and cheesers talking about their new luggage racks from moss motors
miataturbo.net - if you're not tracking it and didn't read the faq, you're a human being. now stfu and eat some edick.
clubroadster - today I found abandoned warehouses downtown and did a photoshoot. My car is scraping over potholes, but I still think I can get it another 1/4 inch lower.

Again, these are the extremist stereotypes. There is alot of intermingling. I typically ask my horsepower questions at mt.net, and my maintenance questions at m.net, and I look at some cars on clubroadster to gauge what looks good. And there is a local forum, mx5atlanta, thats a decent blend of all 3 types, and shockingly we mostly get along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Piano posted:

People get flak for replacing the wheels and such.

I wonder how they feel about my 14" RPF1's since they are lighter than stock :c00l:

Jokes aside, that seems like it will be my home for Miata talk. Although I can't understand how someone could think a stock car is the best. Car companies cut so many corners for profitability and longevity of parts. You can't tell me struts and springs are better than good coilovers.