Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thuryl posted:

Yes and no. The combat is like HOMM, but outside of combat you play as a single hero and go around doing quests and so on. It's actually a pretty faithful spiritual successor to the original King's Bounty, which was a spiritual predecessor to the HOMM series.

Also, it's Russian. The translation isn't perfect but it has its own charm.

I'm sold. If "isn't perfect" turns out to mean "sucks rear end" I'll kill myself and haunt you.

Dreylad posted:

Seven pages and I haven't seen (or skimmed over a post containing) any mention of The Witcher. For shame.

The Witcher rules, it's an actiony-RPG but with a ton of detail put into the world. Made by Polish developers who deserve your money, the sequel looks incredible.

Yeah, Witcher was quite good. The thing that pissed me off, though, was that it took the morally gray thing a little too far. At times it felt less like "I'm doing the best I can in an indifferent world" than "literally everyone is a dick; just do whatever." Then the ending concluded with basically the world was a better place, but then it went back to normal. It's possible to make difficult, morally ambiguous choices that don't devolve into an endless chain of haha, the person you saved turned out to be just as much an rear end in a top hat as the dude you saved him from. At the very least I should have had the option to kill that loving witch after she started ruining the lives of people in yet another town, this time with evidence she did so knowingly.

It won't stop me from playing the sequel, but it might stop me from playing it twice.

poo poo, I'd give them money just for how good they've been to their fans, what with releasing the enhanced edition addons and un-censoring mod for free.

VVV It was kind of boring, but the worst? Not even close. It only sucked if you didn't understand that you were supposed to time your clicks rather than just spamming. Only issue I had was the incredibly annoying stunlocks combined with the unreasonably large hitboxes on flames, but you get scary good at dealing with that. You only have to die three million times in the Beast fight. :v:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Seven pages and I haven't seen (or skimmed over a post containing) any mention of The Witcher. For shame.

The Witcher rules, it's an actiony-RPG but with a ton of detail put into the world. Made by Polish developers who deserve your money, the sequel looks incredible.

It does have the worst combat ever though

Miketopus posted:

Oh god yes. Grandia original is the best in the series. Don't worry, I played it last year and it was still a blast. Give it another go.

thirding this, the story is pretty charming and the combat is fun as hell

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

al-azad posted:

It's also the only RPG I can think of with camp fire and dining scenes which are kind of like the skits in Star Ocean or later Tales games that serve to expand on the characters as they talk about marriage and spicy desert food.

What about Grandia 2 and Grandia 3? :v:

And speaking in general terms I loved the characters in the first Grandia but man is that game ever padded out. It's like 60 hours long and half of it is stupid filler like "oh no we can't get in this way, let's use an alternate entrance from about 10 metres away that somehow has a half hour long dungeon connecting it to where we want to go!!". Grandia 2 is a lot more streamlined and I honestly like it better, even if the characters aren't as likeable. I also enjoyed Grandia 3 and even Grandia Xtreme because they actually made the combat challenging in those games (the combat system has improved from game to game pretty much without exception). I'd recommend the whole series.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
After replaying it recently, I have to remind everyone that the SNES Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals is still one of the greatest RPGs ever made. By some miracle, the developers who have a long history of making terrible games including the prequel (which storywise is actually the sequel) came out with this absolute gem of a game.

The music is great (if a tiny bit repetitive), the characters are one-dimensional but in a mostly charming way and the story bits are short enough that they stay out of the way. It's a little predictable but not overlong. The battling is above average and dungeons have enemies that are visible (random encounters are only on the world map).

However the puzzles are really where the game shines. They're some of the best puzzles I've seen in a videogame, they incorporate your environment without being stupid box puzzles (there are a few, though they are usually more clever variations on the standard Zelda variety). You get tools that can both stun enemies and strategically destroy/move blocks. If you gently caress up, you can cast "Reset" and the room is back to the way it was.

There's also the Gruberik Dungeon which is unlocked about halfway through the game which is a pseudo-randomly generated dungeon with 99 floors. You start off at level 1 with basically no equipment but get to keep everything you find in blue chests for outside the dungeon and these treasures can be brought back in for future visits. Blue chests are some of the best items in the game (I got a sword that lasted one guy about 3/4 of the game on my first run in).

In fact the developers understood people's contempt for JRPG grinding and kept it to a minimum, outside of say one or two areas with tough enemies (seriously gently caress the ninjas). If you beat the game, you can play the game earning 4x experience and money, making the grinding not only non existent but makes you a god without even trying. If you beat the game again you get to play the Gruberik Dungeon as a separate mode with any of the characters that were in your party at any point in the game.

A remake is coming out on DS in about a week and as long as the puzzles are solid, I'm there.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 6, 2010

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

al-azad posted:

Ehhhhhh, Musashi Legends or whatever it's called is really easy and boring. I beat it in three days a few years ago and I completely forgot everything about the experience. All I remember is running around empty worlds, tons of backtracking, simple bosses, stupid puzzles, and a really boring story that had none of the charm of the original.

Pretty graphics, though.

Yup. Was disappointing because I was pretty excited when I heard they were making it because I loved the first one. But yeah, it sucked.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Danith posted:

All you people playing console RPG's :(

I grew up with computer RPG's like Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Pool of Darkness.. beat all of those multiple times. Also loved (and beat) Darksun and Darksun 2. Good times.

drat you beat Pool of Darkness? That's quite a feat right there, that game was legendarily hard.

And I concur that the Gold Box games were awesome. Currently re-playing through the Dragonlance trilogy. Now there's a series that doesn't pull any punches--you pretty much have to use your full artillery in every fight.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I remember getting pool of radiance for the mac plus, and not being able to get Unstuffit to work.

Is there a way to play that on the pc, cause I still got the floppy disks.

Also speaking of which, I remember an oldass mac game that was an rpg but uh, it was when I was babysat and one of the older kids played it and I honestly cant recall much about it. I think it was some sort of like rpg game where you could explore and combat was turn based? I think this was like Apple 2 era or something.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

niggapolis posted:

It does have the worst combat ever though

Counterpoints: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danith posted:

All you people playing console RPG's :(

I grew up with computer RPG's like Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Pool of Darkness.. beat all of those multiple times. Also loved (and beat) Darksun and Darksun 2. Good times.

Ah, the golden age of PC gaming.

An age that guaranteed "A tree in every box."

An age where the manual contained the entire plot and you were referred to "Page X, Line Y" at random intervals.

An age where massive rear end disks had to be changed every time you entered a new area.

An age where copyright protection was simultaneously draconic and totally awesome.

An age where monsters outnumbered you 6:1 and you looked at the "Game Over" screen more than your inventory screen.

If I had my way, I'd totally go back.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I saw someone mention that new Altier game a few pages back so it reminded me of something, how are the Altier Iris games? The game shop near me has all 3 and I could pick them up for about :10bux: each so just wondering if they're any good.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what type of character to play in Arcanum? Or what to avoid?

Stay away from guns. It's the first thing a lot of people go for and they're very underpowered. If you go tech, put at least one point into explosives so you can make molatoves. Or just make a fire Mage or a melée character with tons of dexterity.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I saw someone mention that new Altier game a few pages back so it reminded me of something, how are the Altier Iris games? The game shop near me has all 3 and I could pick them up for about :10bux: each so just wondering if they're any good.

They're good enough for ten bucks. I guess it all depends on how much of a tolerence you have for extreme levels of anime. Also, the series has the stupidest looking sprite design I've ever seen. Hate 'em.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My sister was totally in love with whatever the last one to come out on ps2 was. Basically, if you like RPG's and have a completionist fetish where you want tons and tons of items...it's your series. If you want a strong story and deep characters...not so much.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Which anime game series on the PS2 has this dude who enters women's minds through a hole in the back of their heads and messes with them? I remember it had really creepy and suggestive dialog ("I... I want you inside me :3") and the designers literally advertised it by calling it "moe" and defined what that word meant.

There's also this 360 game I heard about where the special edition came with a pillow that had a bikini clad anime girl on it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

al-azad posted:

Which anime game series on the PS2 has this dude who enters women's minds through a hole in the back of their heads and messes with them? I remember it had really creepy and suggestive dialog ("I... I want you inside me :3") and the designers literally advertised it by calling it "moe" and defined what that word meant.

There's also this 360 game I heard about where the special edition came with a pillow that had a bikini clad anime girl on it.

Probably Ar Tonelico, and the other is Record of Agarest War.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Xenix posted:

Then it makes total sense. How annoying :(

Xenogears's second disc disappointed me in my first playthrough back in 1998 because I wasn't expecting it. But on subsequent playthroughs, I just tried to think of it as a really long ending and that works. I mean, the game was already 60 hours long. One way of looking at it is maybe it was time to start hurrying things up and skipping a few dungeons.

If you made it to the second CD, I think you have to be playing it mostly for the story at that point. And the second CD is where the story undoubtedbly peaks. As long as you know what awaits you on that disc, it is kind of nice to be able to enjoy the story without interruptions. I've actually grown to like the lack of gameplay, and I'm not sure the game would have been better given any more time. The two dungeons are probably the weakest most unenjoyable parts of the CD. They just got in the way of the brilliance of the storytelling. (Well I thought it was brilliant when I last played it over a decade ago. Truth be told, I don't remember all that much)

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Xenogears' disc 2 storytelling was hardly brilliant. From what I remember, it seemed like they had all the gameplay planned out, the bosses you'd fight, the dungeons you'd traverse, etc. But when they lost the time/money to actually make the dungeons, instead of just condensing the story to the relevant parts, they summarized the gameplay you were missing out on and had the main character sitting in a chair going "And then we went into the mystic cave and fought a big monster to get a key to the robot factory where we did some jumping puzzles and fought the robot guardian" and all sorts of other poo poo unrelated to the plot for like two hours.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Yeah, I remember those, that's not was talking about. I was mainly talking about the scenes involving Krelian, Sophia, Fei, and Elly. God, I can't even remember what they were. But I remember them being great and emotional.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
I would really like to know if any RPG fans love the obscure SNES game Paladin's Quest. This game was one of the first "one-handed" rpg's. All the battle commands could be done with the D-pad. I loved the game so much because it was in a completely unique world, the entire game was in pastel colors, and magic spells take HP to cast, so HP takes on a whole new meaning. You also have mercs as partners and they never gain exp. You switch partners when they are not useful to you anymore. Such a good game!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Yeah, I remember those, that's not was talking about. I was mainly talking about the scenes involving Krelian, Sophia, Fei, and Elly. God, I can't even remember what they were. But I remember them being great and emotional.

If there's one thing that sticks out to me about XG Disc 2, it's how the lack of a game world really detracts from some of the poo poo that goes on. You know when you remove everyone's Limiter so they don't subconsciously fear and obey the Solarians anymore, and like 90% of the world starts to mutate, and so Kislev and Aveh become allies because they don't have enough people to fight each other anymore and have to work together to defend their city from the cannibal mutant things? No impact at all there, because we never, say, go to a town and see it mostly abandoned except for some people hiding from cannibal mutatnts or something.

They SAY that your big screwup depopulated the world, but they don't really show it at all, and by the time you DO get to see the world, Deus has shown up and all the mutants are gone.

It just really bothered me. That and how most of the PC cast stops being involved in the story, and how Ramsus needed a better epilogue that gives him a direction going forward. Or makes him a team member, that would have been even better.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Atelier Iris 2 is great, but very very Anime. It has a neat combination of dungeon running and alchemy and the dungeons require alchemical items to traverse so everything has some importance.
It's also quite a long game, I still haven't completed it, mainly due to trying to complete all the alchemy items and grind up for the optional bosses which are currently kicking my arse.

Dunno about 1 or 3 but i'm guessing probably the same

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I really hope that somehow Obsidian comes up with an excuse to hire David Warner again. I'd totally play that RPG, regardless of what else it was about.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Ankle-biter posted:

I would really like to know if any RPG fans love the obscure SNES game Paladin's Quest. This game was one of the first "one-handed" rpg's. All the battle commands could be done with the D-pad. I loved the game so much because it was in a completely unique world, the entire game was in pastel colors, and magic spells take HP to cast, so HP takes on a whole new meaning. You also have mercs as partners and they never gain exp. You switch partners when they are not useful to you anymore. Such a good game!

Oh yeah, Paladin's Quest. I think it was also called Lennus in Japan. Awesome game. It felt like I was playing some really old but cool 80's anime. Although, mercs do gain experience and level up with your two main characters. It's just that they're usually not as good as the right-away hires in the next town over by the time you get there.

Except the Rav brothers, I think they were called. One of them was consistently fairly good, and the other one sucked until like level 30 or something and then became a powerhouse.

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!

Xythar posted:

Probably Ar Tonelico, and the other is Record of Agarest War.

Yeah it's Ar Tonelico which I got the second one a while back since I enjoyed the first, but for some reason nowadays I don't really wanna play jRPGs.

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

Ankle-biter posted:

This game was sweet as hell, but I don't think I ever finished it. I should go back and do that some day.

If you didn't know, it got a sequel which didn't come out here, but got a fan translation which can be found here. I find it pretty fun personally.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

TheOriginalEd posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/21/legend-of-mana-lands-on-playstation-network-next-week/

Like most of square's great games its out on the Japanese PSN with no indication of ever coming out anywhere else :smith:

God, this makes me want to kill someone who works for the US PSN. Rpgs were so popular on the psx too but all we get are a bunch of racing games and shovelware. At least we got RE, MGS1 and the psx Final Fantasies.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

Ankle-biter posted:

Paladin's Quest is one of the most underrated SNES RPG's, it had a huge world, lots of party members, and the HP-as-MP mechanic wasn't that bad. In battle it would allow you to attack with any body part which I thought was awesome at the time!
It even came with an enemy chart, similar to FF1's (what happened to those?).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

What's a jRPG with a good magic system? I'm a sucker for elemental strengths/weaknesses, especially when it applies to everyone. I played the hell out of Magical Starsign (the game's plot-shift from Earthbound-esque whimsy to "totally serious" nearly gave me whiplash), Chrono Cross, SMT...

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bellmaker posted:

What's a jRPG with a good magic system? I'm a sucker for elemental strengths/weaknesses, especially when it applies to everyone. I played the hell out of Magical Starsign (the game's plot-shift from Earthbound-esque whimsy to "totally serious" nearly gave me whiplash), Chrono Cross, SMT...

Try Rudra no Hihou for the SNES, where you generate your own spells by typing out a word and putting it into your spellbook. You can figure things out through in-game hints and spell names used by enemies, play around with prefixes and suffixes, or just luckily stumble your way to getting a huge fuckoff level power spell by inputting a random word that comes to mind.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, Treasure of the Rudras' magic system is dope as hell. It's awesome when you kill a boss with a giant scrolling gently caress YOOOU :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bellmaker posted:

Any of the Wild Arms games especially the first one which lets you custom create magic by piecing glyphs together or something.

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
Al-azad's post really took me back -- the crazy anti-piracy wheel more than anything else. The gold box games were awesome.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm not totally sure what I did or if another party member had some kind of haste spell that he never cast on me, but after I gave the lizard dude the best bow I could find he killed poo poo with incredibly speed. Like, I seriously think it might be bugged.

Also, in real time mode some firearms are bugged and will let you fire as fast as you can click.
Re: Arcanum
I tried out a master bowman at one point. It's incredible but the downside is that you have to carry around hundreds of arrows because you can go through them so quickly. Master throwing can be even more powerful because there is a certain magical chakram you can throw incredibly quickly and it returns to your hand and you can use molotovs and grenades for groups and golems.

High Dex beats out high strength for the most part in Arcanum. The fast weapons (lightweight daggers, gauntleted fists, featherweight electric swords, the incendiary axe is as slow as I would go) are the best. It is pretty easy to get really powerful in Arcanum through any of the combat skills, guns are probably the hardest way. An unarmerd mentally retarded half-ogre with huge strength and dex can beat 99% of the enemies in the game into unconciousness and then kick them to death with literally no equipment straight off the zeppelin.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AngryBooch posted:

An unarmerd mentally retarded half-ogre with huge strength and dex can beat 99% of the enemies in the game into unconciousness and then kick them to death with literally no equipment straight off the zeppelin.

Well, in the manual, it DOES say something like "if this is your first time and you are having trouble with combat, try making a half-ogre with high STR and DEX," or something to that effect.

NeverRamza
Jan 9, 2003

what the...? where the hell has Frodo gone to?
I thought Arc Rise Fantasia was a fantastic RPG but Atelier Rorona is the kind of game for me where I just can't bring myself to play and get into it. I have no energy at all for these games that are primarily focused around item collecting and maintaining goals.

The main character Rorona is quite annoying too. Overly cute 14 year old girl who tries very hard yet is clumsy and accidentally says adorably goofy things at times? Here it is, once again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NeverRamza posted:

The main character Rorona is quite annoying too. Overly cute 14 year old girl who tries very hard yet is clumsy and accidentally says adorably goofy things at times? Here it is, once again.
Totori is even MORE cute, 14, clumsy and goofy. Rorona's in the game too and she is practically a mature adult by comparison.

Totori might be the current champion in this category.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 7, 2010

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NeverRamza posted:

Overly cute 14 year old girl who tries very hard yet is clumsy and accidentally says adorably goofy things at times? Here it is, once again.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that actually appreciates this archetype? I'm not suggesting it is wrong to. I'm just wondering if anyone does. If there is an audience for this fine, but I always thought people would play these games IN SPITE of the insipid characters not so much because of them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kiggles posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that actually appreciates this archetype? I'm not suggesting it is wrong to. I'm just wondering if anyone does. If there is an audience for this fine, but I always thought people would play these games IN SPITE of the insipid characters not so much because of them.
I dunno. I don't, anyway. I keep skipping through her parts of the dialog because her voice drives me crazy, including also what she has to say usually. In fact, I do that for like half the characters in this game. The mechanics are good enough that I keep playing though.

Anyway to answer your question: Japan. Japan likes it. All of Japan.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I know I'll get poo poo for it. But I like Atelier Rorona. I think it shouldn't have been a 60$ (Canadian) game, but it's nice looking, has vibrant colours, and I loving LOVE trying to find as much random poo poo as I can so I can make other random poo poo. I'll sit around and find as many jobs as I can and then see which ones will all be doable just by going to certain places.

The combat isn't complex, it's incredibly straightforward and it's very anime inspired, but at the same time it's not like a lot of other RPG's and I like that. I hope NISA brings over Totori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

I know I'll get poo poo for it. But I like Atelier Rorona. I think it shouldn't have been a 60$ (Canadian) game, but it's nice looking, has vibrant colours, and I loving LOVE trying to find as much random poo poo as I can so I can make other random poo poo. I'll sit around and find as many jobs as I can and then see which ones will all be doable just by going to certain places.

The combat isn't complex, it's incredibly straightforward and it's very anime inspired, but at the same time it's not like a lot of other RPG's and I like that. I hope NISA brings over Totori.
No one is going to give you poo poo for liking Atelier, they're solid JRPGs. Now if you said you liked the art style and characters, well...

Samurai Sanders posted: