Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Starscream posted:

Thank goodness for the B&N sale in November then! I know I have 5 or 6 titles I'll have to put off til the sale, but Hausu is definitely coming to me as soon as possible.

Has the sale in November been confirmed or are we just assuming they'll do it because they did it last year? I asked my buddy who works at a B&N about it and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

If they don't do it I'm just gonna steal a bunch of poo poo and call it even.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
It does seem to be pretty soon after the last one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

someone at cf.org posted:

This [Paths of Glory] really looks amazing. The amount of detail in just about every scene is absolutely incredible and I never imagined it could possibly look like this. Also very little in the way of damage and grain is visible.

Maybe MGM going to the shitter was a good thing because I doubt an edition from them (or Fox for that matter) would look this great.

Can't wait to get this.

Criterion teased a new newsletter on their FB page on Friday, but I haven't seen it yet. Anyone else get one?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like the next B&N sale might begin November 9, which means it would last long enough to cover all the November releases.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wall Street (gecko/Gekko) on Blu-Ray? That's all I've got.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

Wall Street (gecko/Gekko) on Blu-Ray? That's all I've got.

Dang. I was hoping some had this one figured. The file name is "wackylizardman", which doesn't really help much. I don't think it's anything as obvious as Fear and Loathing, but that would be a no-brainer, considering how well the DVD sells.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Naked Lunch?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

I don't think it's anything as obvious as Fear and Loathing, but that would be a no-brainer, considering how well the DVD sells.

Could be

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

Naked Lunch?

If it's this I'm just gonna go ahead and wait outside of Barnes and Noble until it goes on sale.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Could be

Wouldn't bet on it

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Wouldn't bet on it

The Universal DVD co-existed with the Criterion DVD.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

The Universal DVD co-existed with the Criterion DVD.

It's unprecedented on Blu-Ray and I imagine a great Criterion release would torpedo the sales of the current release except for the few people who don't know any better and/or are cheapskates.

But I hope it does happen, I would love for Criterion to try their hand on Spartacus.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sporadic posted:

It's unprecedented on Blu-Ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Third-Man-Blu-ray/13230/

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

But the Criterion is out of print, that one just came out two weeks ago.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cacator posted:

But the Criterion is out of print, that one just came out two weeks ago.

Yeah, Criterion lost the rights to it making their release OOP and Studio Canal released it when the rights reverted back to them.

For a Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas Criterion Blu-Ray to happen, Universal would have to give them permission. I'm not saying it would never happen but it wouldn't make much sense since the Criterion release would blow Universal's out of the water.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 7, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nah, it's F&L. Someone posted this image at cf.org:

Hopefully Do the Right Thing will be next.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Hmm. I don't think I like Fear and Loathing enough to re-buy it on blu. Maybe if they come up with some amazing special features.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that's weird and kind of disappointing. The existing BD may be lacking in supplements, but there isn't much room for improvement in the video and audio. Wish they were focusing all their efforts on titles we don't already have :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It'll make them a buttload of money, and thus give them the funds to put out more titles that we don't already have.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion's menu system and interface add value, too. Universal's titles are easily the most irritating to get through since Fox's early releases. A $5 upcharge just to have the "PLAY MOVIE" option be the first thing that shows up after loading the disc would be reasonable to me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion's menu system and interface add value, too. Universal's titles are easily the most irritating to get through since Fox's early releases. A $5 upcharge just to have the "PLAY MOVIE" option be the first thing that shows up after loading the disc would be reasonable to me.

I still kinda wish they did the WB thing with no menus at all, especially since they take loving forever to load on my lovely Panasonic player

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Nah, it's F&L. Someone posted this image at cf.org:

Hopefully Do the Right Thing will be next.

They better get cracking on Spartacus if they worked out a deal with Universal.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

"Fear and Loathing" was my first Criterion and I'd double dip the poo poo out of it if it got a BRD release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on Paths of Glory

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow, I really love grainy black and white films in high definition. They just look so much more interesting than most films today.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Holy god drat.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I love Tim Carey too. Dare I dream for a Criterion Blu-Ray of The World's Greatest Sinner?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm only just now noticing that that palace in the background during the execution scene is the same one from Last Year at Marienbad.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm only just now noticing that that palace in the background during the execution scene is the same one from Last Year at Marienbad.

I noticed that too. And if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, the actors in the background look as though they are placed in much the same way as the actors in the group shots were placed also.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Official date for the 50% Criterion sale at BN is Nov. 1st and it ends on Nov. 21st. Just in time for Night of the Hunter.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Criterion posted this on Facebook:

Apparently it's Still Walking, which I've never heard of. Ebert gave it four stars, though, and called the director an heir to Ozu.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Apparently it's Still Walking, which I've never heard of. Ebert gave it four stars, though, and called the director an heir to Ozu.

It's a good movie, Ozu comparisons are very apt. I would possibly buy it. If you've seen Nobody Knows (same director) it has the same breathy-voiced chick in it. Her name is "You". Oh those wacky Japanese.

Oh and yeah, I'm pretty sure that screenshot is from Still Walking.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

Nobody Knows

I would kill to have this on BD, especially from Criterion. Haven't seen Still Walking yet but if it's half as good as Nobody Knows, well, that'd be just swell.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Official date for the 50% Criterion sale at BN is Nov. 1st and it ends on Nov. 21st. Just in time for Night of the Hunter.

I love you. <3

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty good movie. I saw it when it came on Sundance channel and even then I thought, "this guy watched a lot of Ozu."

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
Crossposting this from the Blu Ray thread:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Origami Dali posted:

Great news. Thanks. I'll adjust my buying plans accordingly :science:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, guess I'm not going to eat in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anyone interested in my used Criterion DVDs:
8 1/2, M (2-disc), By Brakhage, The Third Man (2-disc), Breathless, Seven Samurai (3-disc)

I'd like to aim for $15 shipped each, except $28 for The Third Man (so I can ship FedEx), and $20 for Seven Samurai. The latter three are in excellent condition, while the first three are kind of old (8 1/2 was my first Criterion).

(The proceeds will go to my cats' annual vet checkup which is this month :3: )

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 13, 2010