Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Policenaut posted:

In Replicant at the very end during Emil's final scene, I swear he says "Nia"

Huh, really? Any chance you could record the speech the way I did (holding the recording device in front of the centre channel if you have a 5.1 speaker system or better)? It's definitely "Kaine" in the English version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So, im about to start playing this. I see there's 4 endings, and I need to replay the game over again 4 times to see them all. From what I've read the story changes every time? Is that right? Is every play-through drastically different or just a bit? Is there any gay poo poo I need to do to make sure im on the right path for the right ending or does each playthrough have a guaranteed different ending?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

New Game+ begins you about halfway through so you don't have to replay the whole game.

B has a significant amount of added content to A, for C and D the only difference is at the end. You will get B when you finish the game on New Game+, and you get C or D by finishing the game on New Game+ with all the weapons.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cool, thanks. How long does an average playthrough take?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I think it's around twenty hours if you include the sidequests and stuff, significantly less if you don't care about that crap.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Also note that even if you have all the weapons before you beat the game for the second time, you still get ending B.

Thankfully, you can freely skip all cutscenes the third time around since there's nothing new in them: if you have all the weapons at that point, you can just ignore everything but the plot and reach the final savepoint in 2-3 hours, possibly less.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

InnercityGriot posted:

I think it's around twenty hours if you include the sidequests and stuff, significantly less if you don't care about that crap.

However a lot of the sidequests seem to be explaining the story, or at least parts of it. Also give you some dialogue between the main characters to tell you more about them. I'm only about 75% through my first run, but I'm being really thorough with my quests and it's making a difference. Plus you make a stupid amount of money.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sorry for doubleposting, but dammit, wanted more Titanium Alloy, and instead these big fucks keep giving me Memory Alloy. Takes like 5 minutes just to get down to them, this is annoying!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

However a lot of the sidequests seem to be explaining the story, or at least parts of it. Also give you some dialogue between the main characters to tell you more about them. I'm only about 75% through my first run, but I'm being really thorough with my quests and it's making a difference. Plus you make a stupid amount of money.

Yeah some of the sidequests are a bit grindy but most are also fairly entertaining. Even if half of the entertainment is being trolled by Cavia for actually doing their sidequests.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Yeah, the sidequests, DO actually give some additional characterization that enriches the experience, but you have to have the stomach for that kind of fetch-questy stuff.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The only valid reason to do the sidequests that don't give you weapons is because your party will banter about them. :3:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, a lot of the sidequests are very intentionally grindy and pointless, to the fact where it's pretty obvious that you're not really encouraged to do them. Which fits in with the theme of the game, where you're in a dying world where one man can't possible make a difference, and sure enough, in doing sidequests and trying to help people, you accomplish next to nothing and receive piddling rewards.

It's actually quite genius, in a way.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

UselessLurker posted:

The only valid reason to do the sidequests that don't give you weapons is because your party will banter about them. :3:

This is basically why I did all the fishing. That and MY TROPHIES

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I loved Grimoire Weiss constantly bitching about having to do the quests, just like everyone else though my favorite was the fishing series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I loved Grimoire Weiss constantly bitching about having to do the quests, just like everyone else though my favorite was the fishing series.

Their banter was excellent, and even though the obvious thing happens at the end of the quest-line the fact that Nier actually made someone's life better and more bearable is the closest you'll get to sunshine in the game. Dear old man by the docks, you taught me how to fish because you wanted to teach me something constructive. :unsmith:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Honestly, even though Cavia are dead someone has to get Alexander O. Smith and Liam O'Brien together for another game. They have to.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Brackhar posted:

Yes, use the Kabuki costume from the DLC. It's really obvious.

ladybuldge

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wow, this is amazing!

Due to the massive fan request, Square-Enix is releasing a second Nier soundtrack on December 8th, comprised of arranged versions of songs from the game (visit the site for a preview!) as well as the 15 Nightmares DLC tracks. Details for the physical release are here on Amazon Japan, expect maybe a USA iTunes release?

I'll have to import this, so it can join my Nier family. Gestalt, Replicant, Grimoire, and OST 1 have a new brother!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

I'll have to import this, so it can join my Nier family. Gestalt, Replicant, Grimoire, and OST 1 have a new brother!

Policenaut, I think you have a problem.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I am OK with that problem because this game owns and should get as much support as possible.

It really didn't seem like the DLC had 15 tracks in it though but either way more music from the composers is great.

Hopefully with the success that Nier has had, the Cavia crew will continue to make freakishly good games in the company they're now under.

edit:

maybe this from the interviews on the grimoire nier collection

posted:

Yokoo said they considered depicting the fight between humans and legions if they had another game.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 5, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fereydun posted:

maybe this from the interviews on the grimoire nier collection

Yeah, that'd be the most logical game to do next. Seems to be a particularly dark science-fantasy period in the settings history, so could make for some pretty interesting scenes.

But, let's be realistic here. It's unlikely we'll ever see another Cavia project again, unless they get back together ala Platinum.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Wow, this is amazing!

Due to the massive fan request, Square-Enix is releasing a second Nier soundtrack on December 8th, comprised of arranged versions of songs from the game (visit the site for a preview!) as well as the 15 Nightmares DLC tracks. Details for the physical release are here on Amazon Japan, expect maybe a USA iTunes release?

ffffffffffffffuck yes

I've got the aussie version of Nier, and Replicant is on the way. I'll hopefully plat Nier before that one arrives. Gonna pick up both OSTs for sure.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Wow, I'm excited for that soundtrack release.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

1- Does this monster on the bridge ever loving spawn? What the hell.
2- This game is amazingly depressing.
3- How do the Martial Arts words work? This Magic regen stuff seems to do nothing... do they only kick in while I'm blocking or what?
4- Do you ever get any other Martial Arts other than Evade and Block?

5- How in teh gently caress do you make Pink Moonflower Seeds? I've looked at multiple threads and "guides" online, and none of them have a surefire, simple explanation on how to do it, it's all conjecture.

EDIT: Of course as soon as I post the fucker spawns.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 6, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Finished the first ending, holy poo poo. What a game. Gotta go for 2, now!

Also check this out:

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/huge-nier-giveaway-win-signed-copies--2853.html

Contest to win a signed copy of the game on either 360 or PS3. it's still going. YOu just have to answer the question "Who is the main character of Nier?"
I feel like the logical answer is too easy to guess Nier, duh... I dunno. Thoughts? I think it might be a trick and the answer is actually either "me" or "a Replicant of a man named Nier".

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Someone should answer Verdelet

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

This game was really sad.

Then I read the guidebook and it's even worse.

The idea of gestalts and replicants fighting aliens is awesome though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mug posted:

ffffffffffffffuck yes

I've got the aussie version of Nier, and Replicant is on the way. I'll hopefully plat Nier before that one arrives. Gonna pick up both OSTs for sure.

OK, I liked Nier enough to plat the game but you and Policenaut both getting both versions just blows my mind. Ya'll be crazy.

I countertrolled Cavia, though; I backed up my saves before choosing ending D. Not that I'll ever have reason to use them, but they're back on my system. :smug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I was a man and accepted the Ending D wipe only in Replicant though

Now join us, buy it and get a Platinum in it! I can't be the only one in this thread stupid enough to Platinum Nier twice!

Dansu
Jun 26, 2000
Forum Veteran

Fuzz posted:

Finished the first ending, holy poo poo. What a game. Gotta go for 2, now!

Also check this out:

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/huge-nier-giveaway-win-signed-copies--2853.html

Contest to win a signed copy of the game on either 360 or PS3. it's still going. YOu just have to answer the question "Who is the main character of Nier?"
I feel like the logical answer is too easy to guess Nier, duh... I dunno. Thoughts? I think it might be a trick and the answer is actually either "me" or "a Replicant of a man named Nier".

I guessed Kaine.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I checked this out from work the other day. I'm a fair bit into it...and, did the game just change into a text adventure? :confused:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

I checked this out from work the other day. I'm a fair bit into it...and, did the game just change into a text adventure? :confused:

Oh yeah, strap in. Nier loves to play around with genres, especially in the downloadable content.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I think this game, so far, is weirder than Deadly Premonition.

I have no idea what I'm doing half of the time, and the other half is making a drink of rat and lizard.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
So I've gotta get the "Upgrade 15 weapons" and "Upgrade 30 weapons" trophies and then it's pretty much platinum done (just need ending D and 15 hour finish but those are easy). This is gonna be a long grind. Got the weekend before Replicant shows up.

edit: The DLC makes some of the item grinding a bit less painful, I hear the eagle eggs used to take hours before, now you get 1 per DLC playthrough.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fuzz posted:

"Who is the main character of Nier?"

It depends on the playthrough. The central story is about Nier, but the second playthrough is basically all about Kaine. However, the decision made in the third and fourth endings seem to be about both Nier, Kaine, and even the player(as Nier).

actually it's caim since he's the reason for this and many other apocalypses

edit: Also I seriously cannot wait for the full version of the blu-bird remix from the DLC

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It still saddens me that we never got a Caim DLC costume for Nier.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Speaking of Caim, the Iron Will sword is hilarious in cutscenes, since it's so huge it'll be clipping through something at any one time. Ending C's finale was sort of hilarious, too, with it equipped. Nier definitely hits her heart, at least.

Did anyone else find the two-handers kind of unwieldy in general? I picked up the Phoenix Spear quite early on in the second half and just ended up using that and the Phoenix Dagger for massed enemies. Although I picked up enough junk to upgrade Iron Will to level 3 at which point it became powerful enough to demolish basically anything through my C and D playthroughs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm playing through B right now, and are all the "new additions" just walls of text about Kaine interspersed into all the poo poo you did before, or does the story actually change a lot?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I'm playing through B right now, and are all the "new additions" just walls of text about Kaine interspersed into all the poo poo you did before, or does the story actually change a lot?

There's a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The story changes a hell of a lot. Just don't make the mistake of skipping cutscenes.

• Locked thread