Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fuzz posted:

I'm playing through B right now, and are all the "new additions" just walls of text about Kaine interspersed into all the poo poo you did before, or does the story actually change a lot?

The beauty of ending B is that very little actually changes.

The only thing that changes is the context of your actions.

It is the most heartbreaking thing I have ever played. Go hug your parents or something before you play too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Frankosity posted:

Did anyone else find the two-handers kind of unwieldy in general? I picked up the Phoenix Spear quite early on in the second half and just ended up using that and the Phoenix Dagger for massed enemies. Although I picked up enough junk to upgrade Iron Will to level 3 at which point it became powerful enough to demolish basically anything through my C and D playthroughs.

I just stuck to the Beastlord. Looks badass, and 2-handed swords are really satisfying to use for some reason. V:v:V

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Technique posted:

I just stuck to the Beastlord. Looks badass, and 2-handed swords are really satisfying to use for some reason. V:v:V

You clearly don't have a fully upgraded Labyrinth Song, because that thing is hilariously overpowered. Personally I find I use spears the most, but that's because they're quick and that dash attack rules.

Also in regards to the cutscenes changing... do any of the boss lead-in cutscenes change, because I hear they count towards the timer for the trophies, and I wanted to grab those trophies this time through... only got 2 of them last time.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Fuzz posted:

You clearly don't have a fully upgraded Labyrinth Song, because that thing is hilariously overpowered. Personally I find I use spears the most, but that's because they're quick and that dash attack rules.

Also in regards to the cutscenes changing... do any of the boss lead-in cutscenes change, because I hear they count towards the timer for the trophies, and I wanted to grab those trophies this time through... only got 2 of them last time.

Just do it slow the first time, and then reload and go fast, or vice versa...that's what I did.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
There's a two hander sword you get from the DLC called Fool's Lament that just 1 hits everything in the game including most bosses, I use that for everything.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Most cutscenes change, don't skip any cutscenes until you're going for Ending C.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh goddamnit, I just got to the big battle in the village and Kaine decided to sacrifice herself. gently caress this game. :( .

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

:(

If you're using that emote now, you're going to be slitting your wrists later on.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dominic White posted:

If you're using that emote now, you're going to be slitting your wrists later on.

For real. That part is pretty much the uplifting high point of the game, dude.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
That part is an example of something that kind of bugged me about the game: Why is it that Kaine is always the one getting stabbed, petrified, impaled, knocked out, and whatever the hell else happens to her? Seriously, it seemed like every other cutscene took Kaine out of commission in one way or another so that Nier and Emil could have something to cry about after they defeat a boss.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

THE CHORSE posted:

That part is an example of something that kind of bugged me about the game: Why is it that Kaine is always the one getting stabbed, petrified, impaled, knocked out, and whatever the hell else happens to her? Seriously, it seemed like every other cutscene took Kaine out of commission in one way or another so that Nier and Emil could have something to cry about after they defeat a boss.

I'm not even done with my B playthrough, but did you just not pay attention to the character of Kaine at all throughout the game or something? It's not surprising at all.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay, so after the halfway point of no return, if I didn't get all the weapons I could before then/do all the quests, am I hosed from the secret endings?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Okay, so after the halfway point of no return, if I didn't get all the weapons I could before then/do all the quests, am I hosed from the secret endings?

Not in the slightest. There's no missable weapons in the first half of the game and the quests only matter for trophies (read: nothing).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capsaicin posted:

As far as I remember, there's only 1 missable weapon (Faith, if for some reason you didn't do those text adventure quests) and you can buy it later at The Aerie

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay, and can I just sell all the stuff I garden?

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG

Capsaicin posted:

:(

Please keep posting, I would like to feed on your tears later. tia

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Cap, every single thing you're saying will just lead to further heartbreak down the line.

And it's delicious.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Fuzz posted:

I'm not even done with my B playthrough, but did you just not pay attention to the character of Kaine at all throughout the game or something? It's not surprising at all.

No, it isn't surprising, but that was precisely the problem - I could see every single instance coming a mile away and it was more than a little repetitive. Honestly, there were about three sources of drama in this game, they just rehashed them again and again and again.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Do the sidequests for Devola while she's singing in the bar count?

Edit: Also, any ideas on where pink moonflower seeds are?

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 8, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

Do the sidequests for Devola while she's singing in the bar count?

Those aren't special sidequests, she just tells you what sidequests are available somewhere in the world at that given moment. If she has no jobs for you, that means there are no quests anywhere in the world. However, if she has multiple jobs, you might as well take them all one by one so you can see the map markers for where to get them, because you can go grab them all right now and have them all active, you don't have to do them one at a time. That's sort of how she was intended to be used, I think.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Interestingly enough there are some quests that simply don't activate until you talk to her. I remember getting stuck with some of the Mailman quests in the waterfront town with them not activating, but then was told to go back to him after talking to Popola.

So it definitely pays off to talk to her.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Unless you have a desperate desire to grind and change the system clock, I would ignore any and all requests for moonflowers.

You see you have to plant the base colors in a special way in your garden and have them grow. This takes 24 hours. Then you have to check if a 10% chance new color occurred. If it did, hooray, grind for multiple cycles to build up a huge collection of the seeds. If not, keep going with step 1.

After you get all the tier 2 colors, you repeat the steps but now with a 1% chance of producing the color you need. This will result in the flower you need, which of course still needs to be planted several days worth to get the bulbs.

Unless you must have 100% completion, just don't do this quest.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Ah, okay.

I'm in Junk Heap right now looking for a poo poo-ton of stuff. Titanium alloy, mysterious switches, etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

I'm in Junk Heap right now looking for a poo poo-ton of stuff. Titanium alloy, mysterious switches, etc.

If you're willing to pay money to speed this up considerably, the DLC features areas which basically do nothing but spray out the mechanical item drops, including the rarer and much more annoying to collect ones. Plus its a little bit of nifty back story and some great music.

Otherwise even with luck boosting words equipped you'll be running that dungeon till you look as haggard as Nier since some of the items are rare drops of rare enemies.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Barudak posted:

Unless you have a desperate desire to grind and change the system clock, I would ignore any and all requests for moonflowers.

You see you have to plant the base colors in a special way in your garden and have them grow. This takes 24 hours. Then you have to check if a 10% chance new color occurred. If it did, hooray, grind for multiple cycles to build up a huge collection of the seeds. If not, keep going with step 1.

After you get all the tier 2 colors, you repeat the steps but now with a 1% chance of producing the color you need. This will result in the flower you need, which of course still needs to be planted several days worth to get the bulbs.

Unless you must have 100% completion, just don't do this quest.

I don't get this complaint. You don't really have to grind, you just have to bounty fertilizer all 15 spots, then alternate for whichever type of offshoot you want. Once you get at least one of that type and it dies and you get some seeds (with bounty, probably 4-6 seeds) then you just replant those seeds with more bounty and do another cycle and you'll like quintuple your seed stash, at least. It takes like 3 swaps in and out with clock changes to get Pink moonflowers, and from there it only takes one more to get a white one and the trophy.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fuzz posted:

I don't get this complaint. You don't really have to grind, you just have to bounty fertilizer all 15 spots, then alternate for whichever type of offshoot you want. Once you get at least one of that type and it dies and you get some seeds (with bounty, probably 4-6 seeds) then you just replant those seeds with more bounty and do another cycle and you'll like quintuple your seed stash, at least. It takes like 3 swaps in and out with clock changes to get Pink moonflowers, and from there it only takes one more to get a white one and the trophy.

Yeah, with the clock shenanigans it took me less than an hour to get all the pink and white moonseeds I needed, along with a shitload of money.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Yeah, with the clock shenanigans it took me less than an hour to get all the pink and white moonseeds I needed, along with a shitload of money.

Thats why I mentioned the clock alterations, although I think I did a poor job of it. Without them its just too tedious to even consider. Personally, though, even with clock alterations it was boring as hell to click plots of land over and over again and the quest certainly didn't feel like it was worth investing the time necessary.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay, can someone explain words to me?

I'm mostly using the +phys attack on my weapons, +magic attack on my magics, and +knockback resist on my "martial arts". The secondary words on everything is my highest item find word.

Do the item find words stack? Do they only count on currently equipped weapons/magic?

How do my martial arts words take effect? Only when I use defend or evade?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Honestly I don't think anything word-related made any appreciable difference to me in the entire game. Maybe I just didn't have good enough words.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay, I was just given the choice of going to the Junk Heap or the Forest of Myth. I went to the Junk Heap. There, I went through the dungeon again, got the memory alloy, fought like, four giant robots, and then went back to the guy at the shop. He said he'd repair that blade and send me a letter. Was I supposed to find a piece of that rock there?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Head off and do something else for a bit. I think there's a set amount of time before the letter shows up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Okay, I was just given the choice of going to the Junk Heap or the Forest of Myth. I went to the Junk Heap. There, I went through the dungeon again, got the memory alloy, fought like, four giant robots, and then went back to the guy at the shop. He said he'd repair that blade and send me a letter. Was I supposed to find a piece of that rock there?

No, a couple of the places (Junk Heap and Facade) are two parts. So go do another story bit. Then he'll send you the letter and you'll go back and complete that area.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's cool that the game is getting another OST because that means it didn't do as badly as I thought

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
In my opinion, Nier's soundtrack is one of the best video game soundtracks since Shadow of the Colossus. It's great news that the soundtrack is popular enough to warrant a second OST release. I hope that the composer gets a lot more work in the future.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's cool that the game is getting another OST because that means it didn't do as badly as I thought

I recall reading that it actually sold pretty well - debuted straight in at #1 in Japan. Unfortunately, it seems that Cavia were doomed, no matter what happened sales-wise.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

Okay, can someone explain words to me?

I'm mostly using the +phys attack on my weapons, +magic attack on my magics, and +knockback resist on my "martial arts". The secondary words on everything is my highest item find word.

Do the item find words stack? Do they only count on currently equipped weapons/magic?

How do my martial arts words take effect? Only when I use defend or evade?

Xythar posted:

Honestly I don't think anything word-related made any appreciable difference to me in the entire game. Maybe I just didn't have good enough words.

I dunno, the LugXXX words ruled on all the Magic, particularly at the end when you have -20% and -30% magic usage words. Sometimes in a pinch that extra juice can be the one extra Lance you needed to kill that boss painlessly without having to gently caress around. The status words, even at level 7, seemed lovely to me. Only decent one was maybe Paralyze, since it actually stops enemies in their tracks. Poison doesn't do damage fast enough, Confuse doesn't do anything as far as I could tell, and HP Drain barely heals you, even at level 7. I only got an MP drain word like right at the end of the game, so I didn't really get to try it out. Plus by the end you're killing most things in 2-3 hits, so the chances of you A- needing those status effects, and B- them actually going off, were basically nonexistent. I mostly ran around with the +EXP or the +Item words on all my weapons... after a certain point the +Item is pointless since you're maxed on everything and it doesn't seem to affect how likely rare poo poo will drop, so using it in a place like the Junk Heap is pointless since everything always drops something.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 8, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I just did "Use Best" for every word option.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Do I need to 100% the game for anything cool or can I ignore most of the sidequests and just do the main story?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mandrill posted:

Do I need to 100% the game for anything cool or can I ignore most of the sidequests and just do the main story?

100% gets you nothing more than an achievement. Nothing in game terms other than quest specific character interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
If the game detects that you have the platinum for this game and also the platinum for Replicant, you get to see the secret ending where a bunch of nude babies do things I don't know

• Locked thread