Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Bachtere posted:

Yup. Especially since you don't even have to slice off the tip on the newer bottles. The tip is just a long metal tube.

I haven't had a "real" plastic model in a while, but I still have my Testor's plastic glue. That stuff worked really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Still not sure why anyone uses plastic glue.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That way you can never undo your mistakes, duh.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Also: any gluing mistakes lead to sweet scarring and model damage :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It melts the plastic and does a lot of my gap-filling for me!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Also: any gluing mistakes lead to sweet scarring and model damage :v:

Why do you think I like weathering my poo poo and also use lots of purity seals.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Funny thing, I still am able to break arms off at the seam with that Testors stuff too so I'm questioning my use for it. I guess I build vehicles faster with it?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

:catdrugs:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

how can anyone say nasty things about plastic glue? it does its job perfectly well :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Aaaaand there's many things wrong with this guy. No upper legs, a crotch-gun, his head is a jawless skull with anti-grav chains... and he wants it painted first.

AWK! POLLY WAS NOT MEANT TO BE!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I use superglue for 90% of joins, even plastic to plastic, but there are a few occasions where I know plastic glue would be the better option. I haven't bought any in years because of that horrible bottle that GW do, but I've missed having the option.

I repositioned and pinned an ankle join on one of my Killa Kans and it keeps coming loose. It never comes off because of the pin, but it spins around and is generally annoying. If I polycement it, then it should never come loose again.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PaintVagrant posted:

So that when I buy their army I can cut the poo poo out of myself turning it back into bitz because they didn't do a good job assembling the models in the first place. Luckily orks are supposed to look somewhat beaten and hacked up. Seriously though, cutting up the 9 bikes I got caused me a couple of bad cuts.

edit: Kids use plastic glue because when they drop the minis they don't shatter, plus redshirts tell them to use it.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I use plastic glue on weapon conversions because i don't want them to break. Otherwise superglue all the time, I generally hate dealing with plastic glue.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

This is why I never ever ever buy plastics second hand, unless they are unassembed.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Miles O'Brian posted:

This is why I never ever ever buy plastics second hand, unless they are unassembed.

Hahaha yeah... I bought an assembled ravenwing battleforce off a local kid here and it was terribly painted and assembled with plastic glue. Cleaning it up has been an interesting project.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

enri posted:

how can anyone say nasty things about plastic glue? it does its job perfectly well :colbert:

This man is a genius and I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I use plastic glue with reckless abandon, as much as possible at a single point. Often more than that.

I'm glad that I mostly play armies where many of the joints are hidden by other things for that exact reason (chaos with the shoulder pads, high neck collar things, etc).

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I used to use plastic and super glue about half and half, but taking apart a Mark I Rhino that's been plastic-glued changed that pretty fast. Now I use super-glue on anything that I might have to disassemble in the future (vehicles, etc), and plastic glue mostly on plasticard. Both from Zap, cuz gently caress GW's constantly leaking bottles.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

a quick question for all you people advocating the use of superglue because it makes it easier to take a model apart in future:

Why the hell would you want to take a model apart?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

enri posted:

Because I'd rather pay $20 for a Rhino than $33.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

enri posted:

a quick question for all you people advocating the use of superglue because it makes it easier to take a model apart in future:

Well for instance I had a thunderwolf lord armed with a frost blade and recently decided I wanted him to have a wolf claw instead. I've also stolen heads from models left from my last army that I mostly sold and used them for my space wolves.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Bu..b.. if you spent all that time painting it, why take it apart?! :psyduck:

It might just be me, but if I get bored of an army, it never goes in a box to gather dust and/or to be raided for parts later.. it gets slung on ebay to help towards funds for the next army / project

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

enri posted:

I had a boring old sentinel, took it apart and built up again to look awesome. I personally prefer building models myself as opposed to having them already made.

That, and *sigh* this. It's WIP, but I'm not sure if it's gonna turn out any decent.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The Blue Pyramid posted:

..I personally prefer building models myself as opposed to having them already made

Ok let me rephrase my question for you awkward shits buying second hand.

You've bought a new kit, be it a rhino.. a sentinel.. a daemon prince.. whatever, it's a kit made entirely of plastic.

Why do you envisage the need to take it apart later on?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I can imagine a couple of use cases for it. One would be when I put the tracks on the wrong side of a Vindicator and had to rip them off and start over. Another would be if you want to re-equip a squad when your list changes or a new codex drops - I've pried the arms off of Terminators to replace them with lightning claws, and that poo poo's way more brutal if you use plastic glue. Popping arms and guns off of poo poo seems like a reasonable thing to do, unless you go around buying new models all over the place.

I do use the Testor's plastic glue for almost everything, because I hate poo poo breaking, and it's kind of cool to pick up a Land Raider by the smoke launcher.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I had a boring old sentinel, took it apart and built up again to look awesome. I personally prefer building models myself as opposed to having them already made.

That, and *sigh* this. It's WIP, but I'm not sure if it's gonna turn out any decent.

why why why why why why why why WHY do they put bayonets on these things

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

pw pw pw posted:

I modeled mine to have the tank driver stepping up out of the hatch, having torn the gun off the mount and fixin' to stab someone to death with it.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

enri posted:

Bu..b.. if you spent all that time painting it, why take it apart?! :psyduck:

It might just be me, but if I get bored of an army, it never goes in a box to gather dust and/or to be raided for parts later.. it gets slung on ebay to help towards funds for the next army / project

You don't make enough selling poo poo on ebay to fund a new army; it's much more economical to scavenge old minis for parts, especially if they're somewhat rare.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

pw pw pw posted:

I wonder the same thing. I don't think I have a single SM vehicle accessory sprue at all though, so I gotta work with what I got. That and cut it off.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

enri posted:

Ok let me rephrase my question for you awkward shits buying second hand.

You've bought a new kit, be it a rhino.. a sentinel.. a daemon prince.. whatever, it's a kit made entirely of plastic.

Why do you envisage the need to take it apart later on?

Because I might want to paint and model it differently some day? :psyduck:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 8, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you drop it and it breaks, at least it'll probably break at the glue join instead of mid-arm where it mangles the plastic.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

pw pw pw posted:

Because chaos = more blades and spikes on everything, duh.

I'm considering removing the bayonets from the Combi-bolter CSM terminator arms. I want my DeathGuard army to look like they still somewhat hold to the old chapter beliefs of not blinging everything out with ridiculous stuff. I'm removing most bayonets, all loving top-knots, and you know those spike racks? Spike racks serve no purpose other than to bend and break, as well as to require the tips to be repainted time and time again.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Seriously, gently caress spikes and topknots. I'm gonna have smooth yet still chaosy Rhinos and mans. I'm down with the horns through :D

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Fyrbrand posted:

Seconding this, but only if you mean this stuff, because it owns hard:

nthing this. The bottle makes it easy to put just the right ammount of glue every time and it has no clogging issues.

I use plastic glue because I put my stuff together the right way every time :colbert:. As long as you take a min to test fit everything there are no issues.

Backno fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 8, 2010

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also I like plastic glue because it makes it almost impossible that my models will come apart just getting them in and out of the foam in the case.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Chenghiz posted:

You don't make enough selling poo poo on ebay to fund a new army; it's much more economical to scavenge old minis for parts, especially if they're somewhat rare.

Nope, but you get more than nothing.. didn't say it would be enough to pay for a new army, just enough to kickstart things :D

It's been a while since I flogged an army anywhos, I'm coming round to the "just let it gather dust" way of thinking. I've lost track of the number of armies I've had at least half painted up and then I've sold on.

bhsman posted:

Because I might want to paint and model it differently some day? :psyduck:

Go buy another one and leave the other one be :v:

Backno posted:

nthing this. The bottle makes it easy to put just the right ammount of glue every time and it has no clogging issues.

and if it does clog, wave a flame underneath the metal needle and et voila.. instantly unblocked!

anyway, all you superglue afficianados are a bunch of weirdos so there :colbert:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I like plastic glue because I like gettin high as gently caress when i'm putting models together

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

What do I put on this so that it looks cool but is still functional as a counter? I bought it to keep track of my faith points with the intention of putting a nice statue or something on there, but I can't glue over the little axle thing or it wont turn. Its 60mm across.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I'd put some sort of hollow decorative piece over it or drill an appropriately sized hole in the base of your statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Something like this?

And carve out a little crescent for the counter and drill a divot on the underside for the axle. Problem is, as far as I can tell that is either an OOP forgeworld thing or some custom job.

• Locked thread