Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

RHTITE posted:

Another stand out is Beherit's Engram. They take a fairly simplistic and repetitive style of mid paced Black Metal and infuse it with layered synth that ranges from nearly subliminal suggestion to suddenly standing front and centre to back again. This serves to pull you in to a seriously contemplative place. One of the best ever.

I absolutely love the production on this album, one of my favorites in all of black metal. The last song is the weak point, even though it is good. Nothing beats the first song and Suck My Blood. Once that intro riff hits on Suck My Blood I get so loving pumped up.

Really great album, haven't heard too much of their early stuff besides Drawing Down, didn't stick like Engram did for me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

QPZIL posted:

My favorite is in a Dimmu Borgir song, but I don't want to listen through them to find it.

"UECKH! (UECKH ueckh ueckh)"

The dumb echo makes it.

I know the one you mean, I think it's off Death Cult Armageddon somewhere.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

QPZIL posted:

My favorite is in a Dimmu Borgir song, but I don't want to listen through them to find it.

"UECKH! (UECKH ueckh ueckh)"

The dumb echo makes it.

I understood what you meant and could remember the music along with it. It's Vedresbyrd at 1:59.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Darkestrah was recommended a few pages back, so I got their The Great Silk Road album and I like it a lot. After the first few spins the songs with the catchiest riffs (probably Inner Voice and Cult Tengri for most people) were the ones that stood out, as always I guess. But now that I've listened to it some more I must say there is pretty much no weak song on this album (well maybe the 2 minute closing track but that one is more of an outro than a song). The longest (18:49) track, Kara-Oy, really grows on you and the structure is really well done.

Just wanted to plug them some more, I'm going to look into their other albums now.

http://www.myspace.com/officialdarkestrah

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Openknees posted:

I understood what you meant and could remember the music along with it. It's Vedresbyrd at 1:59.

Wow that's almost exactly the same as the one I'm thinking of. It's somewhere on Death Cult Armageddon... I'll find it.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
So the new Melechesh album is unsurprisingly awesome.

The album artwork is pretty awesome too:
http://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/cover3.jpg

A Wizard
Jan 9, 2007
Here is a good one on the new gorgoroth album at 1:26

Gorgoroth (1:26)

Did any bands do this before Immortal in Call of the Wintermoon (1992ish? Also yeah it does seem to be when there is a transition from something slow to a blastbeat

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

TeamJesus posted:

Had not heard these guys before. Thanks!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm sure that I've mentioned this band before, but I think everyone deserves a chance to get to know them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLf-Bh3mY8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmM0Sb0rcZI

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TeamJesus posted:

drat, you weren't kidding. This is great. Maybe better than Emissaries.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

A Wizard posted:

Here is a good one on the new gorgoroth album at 1:26

Gorgoroth (1:26)

Did any bands do this before Immortal in Call of the Wintermoon (1992ish? Also yeah it does seem to be when there is a transition from something slow to a blastbeat

I see it as a basic grunt, just done in a black metal voice. Tom G. Warrior, for example, was doing sorta "OOOGH" interjections with his vocal style, it's not to hard to imagine the "UEGHK" or whatever onomatopoeia you want to use being just a natural development of that

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TeamJesus posted:

Most excellent band! Thanks for sharing man.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

MrBling posted:

I'm sure that I've mentioned this band before, but I think everyone deserves a chance to get to know them.

That's one hell of a guitar tone. Fantastic stuff.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Optimum Gulps posted:

That's one hell of a guitar tone. Fantastic stuff.

Megiddo loving rules man.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ugh, hadn't noticed that embedding was disabled on that video. Seriously, who does that.

I can't quite decide if I like "The devil and the whore" more than "The atavism of evil".

Devil certainly has the more memorable songs but Atavism seems more solid overall.

I wish more black metal sounded like this.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
For those who haven't heard Melechesh, they're recommended for Absu fans, check out Sphynx (has Proscriptor drumming), Emissaries and now the new album at the very least.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Isn't Melechesh one of the bands that is touring the US with Rotting Christ early in 2011? Wow! This may just make that tour a whole lot more appealing. Thanks for the tip!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Tony Jowns posted:

I see it as a basic grunt, just done in a black metal voice. Tom G. Warrior, for example, was doing sorta "OOOGH" interjections with his vocal style, it's not to hard to imagine the "UEGHK" or whatever onomatopoeia you want to use being just a natural development of that

Taake does that kind of "OOEEEE" thing a lot. Hard to transcribe but anyone who's listened to Taake must know what I mean. When I saw them, Hoest kept on thrusting the microphone into the audience and getting people from the front row to do his "OOEEEE"s for him, which was hilarious.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Now, unlike Megiddo I'm pretty sure that we've never actually discussed Tearstained in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3vWlF_55yA

Tearstained is sort of like a Mercyful Fate crossed with Celtic Frost/Bathory.

vonbaron
Nov 10, 2008

MrBling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmM0Sb0rcZI

Megiddo loving owns and they were from Toronto. I wish I could find a copy of The Devil and the Whore somewhere.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

MrBling posted:

Tearstained/Megiddo
Hey guys, ever heard of this here band. Their label is Barbarian Wrath.

They make good music.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
On a Megiddo binge thanks to this thread. Stupidly good black metal.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

MrBling posted:

I'm sold! Where do I start?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm sold! Where do I start?

Pretty much any of the first three albums will be good.

"Monumental in Its Sorrow", "There Is No Hope" and "Final Thoughts" form the so-called suicide trilogy. On the two following albums the guy pretty much ditched the King Diamond falsetto and just used lower vocals.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

SinetheGuy posted:

What can the experts recommend in that atmospheric/drony vein? More Burzum is in order, of course.

I am again going to plug 'Evilfeast - Lost Horizons of Wisdom'. The fourth track on the album titled "My Tower Among The Timeless Mountains" is the best Synth / Black Metal track I have ever heard.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

MrBling posted:

Now, unlike Megiddo I'm pretty sure that we've never actually discussed Tearstained in this thread.

I liked it up until the point where he started singing. :/
I've noted the name and will listen more, however.

E: Oh, he ditched the falsetto? I'll listen some of those albums then.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

MrBling posted:

Cut my life into pieces
This is my last resort
Suffocation
No breathing
Don't give a gently caress if I cut my arm bleeding

This is my last resort

Cut my life into pieces
I've reached my last resort
Suffocation
No breathing
Do you even care if I die bleeding
Who did me wrong
Who did me right
If I took my life tonight
Chances are that I might
Mutilation outta sight
And I'm contemplating suicide

'Cause I'm losing my sight
Losing my mind
Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine
Losing my sight
Losing my mind

I never realized I was spread too thin
Till it was too late
And I was empty within
Hungry
Feeding on chaos
And living in sin
Downward spiral where do I begin
It all started when I lost my mother
No love for myself
And no love for another
Searching to find a love up on a higher level
Finding nothing but questions and devils

Losing my mind
Wish somebody would tell me in fine
Losing my sight
Losing my mind
Nothing's alright
Nothing is fine
I'm running and I'm crying
I'm crying
I'm crying
I'm crying
I'm crying

I can't go on living this way

Cut my life into pieces
This is my last resort
Suffocation
No breathing
Who did me wrong
Who did me right
Chances are dynamite
Mutilation outta sight

Losing my mind
Losing my sight
Losing my mind
Nothing's alright
Nothing is fine
I'm running and I'm crying

I can't go on living this way
Can't go on
Living this way
Nothing's alright

This is a really awful song dude.

This Tearstained song is pretty loving funny, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u82FVPHLObY&feature=related

So bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm really digging Megiddo.

I really want to like Tearstained, but... I just don't :\

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

RHTITE posted:

Cut my life into pieces
I've reached my last resort
Suffocation
No breathing
Do you even care if I die bleeding
Who did me wrong
Who did me right
Chances are that I might
Mutilation outta sight

:dance: "Mutilation outta sight
And I'm contemplating suicide" :toot:

Is it bad that I just want to mail all the bandmembers a bucketful of Prozac, some hot cocoa, and a kitten?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Qu Appelle posted:

:dance: "Mutilation outta sight
And I'm contemplating suicide" :toot:

Is it bad that I just want to mail all the bandmembers a bucketful of Prozac, some hot cocoa, and a kitten?

Yes because they are terrible nu-metal tools.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

IRQ posted:

And, unlike most of the bands we enjoy, they have gotten paid tons of money to be terrible nu-metal tools.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

IRQ posted:

But, but, KITTEN.

And COCOA.

Both will cheer up even the most desolate of nu-metal souls. Unless they have allergies, of course.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MrBling posted:

It's the weirdest thing, for some reason when you'd recommended Megiddo to me before and I checked out The Devil and the Whore, I had written them off, but this is awesome, I have no idea what I was thinking.

Also why are we talking about loving numetal in the black metal thread?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Can't say I'm a big Tearstained fan. I thought the production of the drums was rubbish, the riffs were dull, the lyrics were lame and the vocals were bland.

Nesuferitul
Apr 26, 2008

by Ozma
If you haven't ordered Armagedda's I Am ep yet then you probably should. Just sayin'

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Wolves in the Throne Room's first two albums are straight-up Burzum worship with seriously good melodies. :)

Surely Weakling worship if anything?

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn
WitTR's early work is practically a temple to Weakling, yes

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nesuferitul posted:

If you haven't ordered Armagedda's I Am ep yet then you probably should. Just sayin'

Mmmmm, this is nice and bass heavy from the little bit I've listened to. I'm getting kind of tired of Black Metal being stuck at 12,000 Hz all the time.

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn
It's some of Armagedda's best work imo, would've been a tragedy if it hadn't been released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Mmmmm, this is nice and bass heavy from the little bit I've listened to. I'm getting kind of tired of Black Metal being stuck at 12,000 Hz all the time.

It's loving awesome, I used to dislike them but this stuff really brought me back to their style.

Also, on the topic of Dimmu's new album (even though it's only marginally BM), I'm pleasantly surprised how atmospheric and eerie this album turned out. It's a hundred times better than the steaming pile of poo poo which was ISD.