Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

... Sabu is listed to being owed $0. That's right, $0. Paul Heyman ensured that it said Sabu wasn't owed anything.
Maybe it's like ordering a pizza. If he botches, he works for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

savinhill posted:

All I know about the money stuff is what I read, but I agree about the promoting. The only way I knew ECW existed back in the 90's is that I stumbled across it on some Spanish language station, buried on the UHF dial, late night. I liked it, I tried to watch it the next week, it wasn't on at the time I watched it the week before. I didn't have the internet or buy wrestling magazines, so I forgot about it until a couple months later, when it was on the same channel, but at a different time.
If he had promoted it at all, I might have known there were PPV's. I might have gone to see it live, it looked like fun on TV. But I didn't know about this poo poo, because if you weren't a die hard wrestling fan, you didn't hear about it.

It depended on what market you were in. If you lived in the Northeast and were a big wrestling fan, it wasn't hard to know about ECW. They ran ads for house shows during Raw and Nitro. They had Hardcore TV on channels people tended to get (in NY they were on MSG, at the time the Yankees, Knicks and Rangers station) although at 1 AM. They also ran in the area frequently.

Outside of the Northeast, the TV got even weaker and they ran less shows so you got less exposure to ads and the shows themselves.

So yes they could have paid for better TV throughout the country, but that would have sunk the company sooner. They needed whatever TV they could get with a concentration on where they actually ran shows.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

It depended on what market you were in. If you lived in the Northeast and were a big wrestling fan, it wasn't hard to know about ECW. They ran ads for house shows during Raw and Nitro. They had Hardcore TV on channels people tended to get (in NY they were on MSG, at the time the Yankees, Knicks and Rangers station) although at 1 AM. They also ran in the area frequently.

Outside of the Northeast, the TV got even weaker and they ran less shows so you got less exposure to ads and the shows themselves.

So yes they could have paid for better TV throughout the country, but that would have sunk the company sooner. They needed whatever TV they could get with a concentration on where they actually ran shows.
I lived in the heart of Boston. Granted, I wasn't the biggest fan, but I watched the shows on Mondays. Maybe from flipping channels, I missed the commercials.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRayPer posted:

That was the problem -- Heyman saw that people were talking about ECW all over the Internet, so he wanted to go nationally ASAP, which is why he rushed into doing Pay-Per-Views. ECW would probably have survived as a northeast would-be territory for a while longer if Heyman hadn't started doing things like trying to get every independent wrestler around (thus bloating the roster), rushing into PPV, and selling his soul for national television. Basically, he started operating ECW as though it were a national promotion with the same prominence as WCW and the WWF, but he did so without anywhere near a similar budget. And then he had to start writing huge checks for the PPV providers, and checks to the larger arenas in which he was trying to run shows, and then meet the guarantees he'd given wrestlers to keep them from jumping to WCW / WWF, and then he finally stopped writing checks at all.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lamuella posted:

Just to compare Hogan't theme and the original nWo theme:

Hogan theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOqLtqWF_U
nWo theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OOBNC16VM
Again, I realize they're aping the original nWo theme. I even said they were. I just mean if they could use the original, they likely would.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Again, I realize they're aping the original nWo theme. I even said they were. I just mean if they could use the original, they likely would.

I thought it was a Vanilla Ice situation, where by changing a note or two, they try to avoid a lawsuit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

savinhill posted:

I thought it was a DDP situation, where by playing it backward, they try to avoid a lawsuit.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I still get agitated whenever I hear the "Hey Joe" riff in the nWo theme, aped or no. I mean, I know WCW loved aping the poo poo out of established rock tunes, but it struck me as lovely sampling which is a worse offender.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I still get agitated whenever I hear the "Hey Joe" riff in the nWo theme, aped or no. I mean, I know WCW loved aping the poo poo out of established rock tunes, but it struck me as lovely sampling which is a worse offender.

And it didn't bother you when Hogan straight up stole Voodoo Chile?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

El Axo Grande posted:

I thought he was actually using the real song.
I'm less embarrassed if a song is being used for a bad rear end wrestling entrance, than some lovely commercial, or TV show. gently caress CSI,you ruined BABA O'Reilly for me!

savinhill fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 9, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

Oh it did. Believe me it did. But we're talking about the nWo theme right now, so I didn't wanna start talking about that, or Smells Like Teen Spirit, or Evenflow, or whatever other aping occurred. There was a ton of it, and it was all obnoxious.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Oh it did. Believe me it did. But we're talking about the nWo theme right now, so I didn't wanna start talking about that, or Smells Like Teen Spirit, or Evenflow, or whatever other aping occurred. There was a ton of it, and it was all obnoxious.

I hope you don't watch TNA because pretty much every song they use is a rip off of some other song.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Its a Jimmy Hart trademark steal from popular songs

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That's awesome. I figured it was one of Steiner's crazy ideas but knowing that a fan just randomly gave it to him and he liked it enough to just start wearing it is even better.

I think D'lo Brown wore that chest protector for much the same reason.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Oddly enough, after I peeked into Wrestlehut for the first time a couple months ago, I tried watching TNA. I never even paid attention to their themes because I had a feeling they'd do the same thing WCW did, and you've just proved me right. It's better that I didn't pay attention.

I stopped watching TNA as soon as they were preempted by reruns of Gangland.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

KungFu Grip posted:

I hope you don't watch TNA because pretty much every song they use is a rip off of some other song.

I swear there's a riff in Mr. Anderson's theme that is ripped from an AC/DC song, but I can never think of it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Shoot To Thrill was what the WWE one ripped off, so it's probably that being TNA rips off a lot from the WWE (i.e. Christian's Jericho-esque entrance).

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I swear there's a riff in Mr. Anderson's theme that is ripped from an AC/DC song, but I can never think of it.

Daffney's is straight up Marylin Manson's Beautiful People. Beer Money's I think has something from Bon Jovi.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Most TNA guys who come from WWE get a ripoff of their WWE song.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Shoot To Thrill was what the WWE one ripped off, so it's probably that being TNA rips off a lot from the WWE (i.e. Christian's Jericho-esque entrance).

No, Mr Andersons WWE theme was a song from Australian band Airborne.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Did anyone in Japan ever whip out their dick before performing a bronco buster? I remember seeing a gif somewhere but can't remember if it was a bronco or just some guy giving dick against a turnbuckle.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Veg posted:

No, Mr Andersons WWE theme was a song from Australian band Airborne.

Yeah but Airborne is pretty much AC/DC.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah but Airborne is pretty much AC/DC.

Just faster and not so monotonous.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Veg posted:

Just faster and not so monotonous.

Sir, you forget yourself! Shut up!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Did anyone in Japan ever whip out their dick before performing a bronco buster? I remember seeing a gif somewhere but can't remember if it was a bronco or just some guy giving dick against a turnbuckle.

Sounds like something Danshoku Dino would do.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Owen: I don't need you with a bad leg doin' the Bret! You're too drat selfish, & that's why you're sittin' there with a bad leg, & that's why I kicked your leg out of your leg!
[minutes later]
Million Dollar Man: That's the smartest thing I've heard come out of Owen Hart's mouth.

What are some other great gaffes to come out of promos?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Shitty_Wok posted:

Owen: I don't need you with a bad leg doin' the Bret! You're too drat selfish, & that's why you're sittin' there with a bad leg, & that's why I kicked your leg out of your leg!
[minutes later]
Million Dollar Man: That's the smartest thing I've heard come out of Owen Hart's mouth.

What are some other great gaffes to come out of promos?

Sid: ".. aw hell can we start over?"
JR: "we're live pal"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shitty_Wok posted:

[minutes later]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CybIKwEhX1k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsWwasyCSo&feature=related

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Some weird stuff going on over at the FCW website. Riley and Kaval are for some reason still listed as FCW talent even though Riley is on Raw every week with The Miz and Kaval just won a Smackdown contract.

Yet another boring Dibiase is on the roster:

And two more luchadors are coming apparently:

Anyone know anything about these two?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Some weird stuff going on over at the FCW website. Riley and Kaval are for some reason still listed as FCW talent even though Riley is on Raw every week with The Miz and Kaval just won a Smackdown contract.

Yet another boring Dibiase is on the roster:

And two more luchadors are coming apparently:

Anyone know anything about these two?

I hope he gets a wellness violation just so I can post Epico Failure

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That's Orlando Colon and Incognito.

The best Colon and the weak link in every Lucha match, YAY!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

They've been on the roster for a while.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That's not new. The Dudebusters and Vance Archer are on the roster too, and have been for months. Doesn't really mean much, just that they occasionally do matches down there.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

That's Orlando Colon and Incognito.

The best Colon and the weak link in every Lucha match, YAY!

Didn't know Orlando was considered the best of the Colons. Cool.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Didn't know Orlando was considered the best of the Colons. Cool.

Much better than Carlito or Perforated.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Moose Bigelow posted:

Much better than Carlito or Perforated.

Or Impacted, for that matter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Primo will always have the best theme music of them, though.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think D'lo Brown wore that chest protector for much the same reason.

He started wearing it because of a hurt ribs angle and kept wearing it because he was self conscious about how fat he had gotten.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Why doesn't the new DiBiase grow a beard? The first one already sucks beyond the point of redemption, at least this new one would look more like his awesome father than his lovely brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CombineThresher posted:

Or Impacted, for that matter.

He can't touch Spastic, though.

That guy is insane.