Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Really enjoyed dispatches tonight, enjoyed was probably the wrong word but it was an eye opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I've just started watching This is England '86 and I'm a little underwhelmed (and a little lost). Should I watch the movie before going any further into the series?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Graviton v2 posted:

Gotta agree to disagree there then. I liked it. Are you sure you arent having ... 'phrase that describes something that was great from a long time ago but if you watched it now it wouldnt be that great'

I know there is a word for that but its eluding me. Nostalgia maybe?

I watched the first two series of the original Reggie Perrin on DVD a few years back and they're still brilliant. Leonard Rossiter is almost exhausting to watch as a man slowly being driven insane by the mundanity and repetitiveness of his working life.

I actually rather like the Clunes version of the show too. They haven't gone for a carbon-copy of the original, and it has a different, less frenetic feel to it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Smeep posted:

I've just started watching This is England '86 and I'm a little underwhelmed (and a little lost). Should I watch the movie before going any further into the series?
yes

it's a really great film and everything will make far more sense

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Loving An Idiot Abroad. This week's was the best yet.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

yes

it's a really great film and everything will make far more sense

Thanks

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

bhlaab posted:

Loving An Idiot Abroad. This week's was the best yet.

I haven't watched it but the concept kind of pisses me off because it's like sending someone who hates food to the most amazing restaurants in the world and the impression the advert is Gervais saying : "Hey so Karl hates travelling! So... guess what we did :v: THAT'S RIGHT!!"

Is it really funny?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Neris posted:

I haven't watched it but the concept kind of pisses me off because it's like sending someone who hates food to the most amazing restaurants in the world and the impression the advert is Gervais saying : "Hey so Karl hates travelling! So... guess what we did :v: THAT'S RIGHT!!"

Is it really funny?

Yes. I think Gervais is an unfunny waste of space and Stephen Merchant is annoying sycophant - but Karl is outstanding in this and it's absolutely hilarious. Give it a try.

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Hmm I thought this weeks Idiot Abroad was the weakest yet. It was like they realised they couldn't fill an hour with Petra so sent him dicking around in Israel for over half the show and then we saw a couple of nice shots of Petra at the end. The kidnapping scenario was a complete waste of time.

Karl's moaning at every little thing is just getting exhausting. I think he has legitimate grievances in places, but he just moans at every little thing and it's beginning to grate.

I'm still gonna watch it next week tho.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Neris posted:

Is it really funny?

That concept is sort of a red herring. It's not so much that he hates travel as it is that he is uniquely cynical and naive at the same time and is put next to people and things that are incredibly removed from his definition of normal. The off-camera bullying by Ricky and Steve are more to goad reactions from him (and because they know that left to his own devices he would just sit in his hotel room eating biscuits the entire trip)

That said, my favorite part of this week's episode was when they sent him to spend a night in a cave and it ended up being his favorite part of the trip even though he also saw Petra and the birthplace of Jesus

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Envelope-gate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAneU22gAaM

I hope Jezza is ok :ohdear:

I kinda want to play frisbee now with ol' pizza-face there.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 8, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

LE0N posted:

Envelope-gate

He might miss and knock yoa ought.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

LE0N posted:

Envelope-gate

American Q- Who the gently caress is Jeremy Kyle and why does the british public accept the 'tough guy telling it like it is' schtick from such a god drat weiner.

When he got hit and turned around like "ooo you done it now mate" it was absoloutely pathetic. Do people there actually buy that crap?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

bhlaab posted:

American Q- Who the gently caress is Jeremy Kyle and why does the british public accept the 'tough guy telling it like it is' schtick from such a god drat weiner.

When he got hit and turned around like "ooo you done it now mate" it was absoloutely pathetic. Do people there actually buy that crap?
of course they do, he's hugely popular despite being such an obvious bellend. But it's hardly like this is a uniquely British thing, everywhere has stupid people who like terrible TV personalities

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

tell me da answers innit

:britain:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
tbh the only positive thing about The Jeremy Kyle Show is that it makes me feel good about myself when compared to the mutants who go on

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaCLtEAy2E

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

of course they do, he's hugely popular despite being such an obvious bellend. But it's hardly like this is a uniquely British thing, everywhere has stupid people who like terrible TV personalities

Yeah, but our "tough-talking" daytime personalities are judges, large black men, or both. We don't dig a foetus out of Ryan Seacrest's homosexual anus and then try to say he's a badass.

Look I'm not saying American programming has got any less amount of classist poverty-bashing, but at least we try to hide the fact.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

bhlaab posted:

Yeah, but our "tough-talking" daytime personalities are judges, large black men, or both. We don't dig a foetus out of Ryan Seacrest's homosexual anus and then try to say he's a badass.

Look I'm not saying American programming has got any less amount of classist poverty-bashing, but at least we try to hide the fact.

So what you are saying is that its braver to be someone with a shitload of untouchable physical or legal authority and confront total dickheads (they are 99% of the time) than be a regular joe public which like it or not kyle is??. That honestly makes no sense.

To be honest he is "badass" because he looks like he should work in a bank and have old ladies bother him because they dont know how their pension works but he sets out to tell people to "PUT SOMETHING ON IT" and "GET A JOB" instead whilst they hurl abuse envelopes at him.

I would say some of the guests are staged, but.....they are just to mundane and boring, its hard to fake being that scummy but not that extreme.

bhlaab posted:

Kyle would be regarded as more of a dickhead if he was super-buff and slick, us brits would loving hate it.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 8, 2010

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jeremy Kyle has all the legions of hell at his command, you better watch what you say about him.

Also Jerry Springer and Montel Williams are his nearest US equivalents and they don't seem tough at all either.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

bhlaab posted:

He has a microphone for shouting people down and some massive bodyguards for not getting punched out, why would he even need to be a badass? What gave you the idea that anyone thinks he is?

Is no one worth listening to in America unless they can beat you up or send you to jail? Wasn't it Jerry Springer who popularised the whole format? Who is Ryan Seacrest? I don't care.

Edit: these aren't questions you need to answer, I'm just saying you're looking at it wrong

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 8, 2010

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Tempo 119 posted:

He has a microphone for shouting people down and some massive bodyguards for not getting punched out, why would he even need to be a badass? What gave you the idea that anyone thinks he is?

Is no one worth listening to in America unless they can beat you up or send you to jail? Wasn't it Jerry Springer who popularised the whole format? Who is Ryan Seacrest? I don't care.

Edit: these aren't questions you need to answer, I'm just saying you're looking at it wrong

Well none of these people are worth listening to. What annoyed me is that this guy is clearly putting on a self-aggrandizing act when he has no authority whatsoever and the rubes in the audience seemed to be buying in it. I was just wondering if he actually carried a degree of respect outside of his own TV studio. For example, Dr. Phil is a quote-unquote "respected" TV personality here by many in the midwest etc.

I suppose my point is that our daytime crap presenters tend to hide behind a veil of compassion, concerns over society, or bemusement instead of outright aggression towards the guests because it hides the fact that the show is all about making the audience feel superior to poor, undereducated people.

But it's likely all staged anyway so what the gently caress am I doing even aknowledging the cultural deitritus of either nation to begin with. Forget about it.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Wasnt it found out that 'Dr.' Phil just has some bullshit buy/work from home degree and is in fact not a PHD holder?

And yes Kyle is a loving oval office, I dont think you will hear any dispute from any of us brits on that.

That said its strangely compelling telly :S

defining moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGocWTKogpg&feature=related

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 8, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

bhlaab posted:

I suppose my point is that our daytime crap presenters tend to hide behind a veil of compassion, concerns over society...
Jeremy Kyle does that in bucketloads too, though

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Brooker on Kyle.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
BBC3 is to broadcast a six part drama series about Lesbians. With lots of sex.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/09/lip-service-bbc3-lesbian-drama

I think we can be confident that no heterosexual males will be watching...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Really enjoyed dispatches tonight, enjoyed was probably the wrong word but it was an eye opener.
That Bravo's Dangerous Mission thing or whatevs?

It was pretty interesting but when the good guys blew up some dude's family and went to say sorry and offer some money, one of the marines kept saying "It's the absolute least we can do" over and over again. He did not understand what that phrase means, and I hope the translator realised this. What a lovely thing to say to someone who just got their entire family exploded.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pablo Bluth posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/09/lip-service-bbc3-lesbian-drama

Laura Fraser :love:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Jeremy Kyle is one of the most revolting pricks in the UK, and his particular brand of human bear baiting is obscene.

Oh, and perhaps he should be a guest on his own show -

wikipedia posted:

He met his first wife, Kirsty Rowley, in the autumn of 1988, when he was a recruitment consultant in an agency in Bristol[11]. They became a couple within a fortnight, and were engaged two months after that, in December. They married in Almondsbury near Bristol seven months later, in July 1989. Their daughter, Harriet, was born eleven months after that, in June 1990. The marriage ended just five months after that, in November 1990. His wife claims that Kyle had carefully concealed a destructive and expensive gambling habit from her over the course of their marriage. This included stealing money from her bank account, and accumulating thousands of pounds of debt to fund his habit. He is reported to have had several affairs during his short lived marriage.

Hypocritical little poo poo-weasel.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

While I detest Jeremy Kyle as much as the next good citizen, I thought his own dodgey past was the show's justification for letting him criticise people. Something of I've-been-there-and-turned-my-life-around sort of deal.

His programme confuses me though, because I constantly struggle to decide whether I hate the guests or the presenter more.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I pity anyone outside the UK seeing Jeremy Kyle. It is like some twisted 21st century freak show from the horrors of the latest idiots to the gurning taunting audiance and Kyle himself the twisted Ringmaster of it all.

I don't need to self hate my class anymore than possible but the show really doesn't help.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
New Harry Hill tonight! :dance:

New Louis Theroux tomorrow! :dance:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I hate Jeremy Kyle. Half the time he seems like he genuinely deserves to be banged out by the scrotes he's talking to.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson

lionlegs posted:

New Louis Theroux tomorrow! :dance:

I had no idea a new louis theroux was coming on, whats it about?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Kid Moe posted:

I had no idea a new louis theroux was coming on, whats it about?

guardian posted:

Theroux travels to Nigeria's largest city to spend time among the police and criminal gangs which rule the area. The crims have unionised to better appear legitimate, so cops spend their time chasing ordinary householders about cleaning their front steps while transport union operatives go about taking protection money and shooting each other, unhindered by the law. "There is no known corruption in Lagos," declares the local kingpin's spokesman confidently as everybody smiles and blood spatters the pavement. Compelling stuff.

isnemis
May 21, 2004
I was test banned and all I got was this stinking title (and plat, I guess)
Didn't see this posted yet

quote:

This is the first picture of Steve Coogan, donning his Pringle jumper to become Alan Partridge on screen for the first time in seven years.

Beer giant Foster's is sponsoring a new series of 12 short Partridge shows for the internet, which will appear online from November 5.

Each will be 11 minutes long and appear on the website Fostersfunny. It is the latest stage in the brand’s sponsorship of comedy, which has seen it sponsor Channel 4 programming and the Edinburgh Comedy Awards.

Partridge co-creator Armando Iannucci has worked on the new web episodes, which are made by Coogan’s production house Baby Cow.

Coogan has released a new quote as Partridge, saying: ‘I am delighted to announce that after years as a regional broadcaster on North Norfolk Digital my groundbreaking radio segment, Mid Morning Matters, will now be accessible to a potential audience of billions via the World Wide Web (www).

‘That it has taken Foster's to help realise my dream of joining the information superhighway is a damning indictment of the established broadcasters whose shabby treatment of me on Sept 10th 2001 was frankly shabby. I made dozens of calls the next day, all of which were ignored.

‘My appreciation must go to Armando Iannucci and Baby Cow for ignoring the lies, god bless them. In the meantime I look forward to "hanging out 'n' chillin" with the MySpace generation.’

The second series of I'm Alan Partridge aired in 2002, while the character made a one-off return for the mockumentary Anglian Lives the following year.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/10/08/11895/hes_back!

New Alan Partridge, hell yes!

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Pablo Bluth posted:

I loving hate how "three 20-something Glasgow lesbians" becomes "two English and one with a horribly-put on ScoTTish accent, blatantly 30-somethings in what could be any city". Since it's been pushed back since April and from the teasers I've seen, it'll basically be a carbon copy of Bridget Jones-esque films/books with no redeeming or original qualities, beyond "They're chasing....other girls :siren::wth::siren:" . Wonderful. God BBC3 is a terrible channel.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 9, 2010

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

isnemis posted:

Didn't see this posted yet

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/10/08/11895/hes_back!

New Alan Partridge, hell yes!

This is the best news ever!

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
ahaaa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Darth Goon posted:

Jeremy Kyle is one of the most revolting pricks in the UK, and his particular brand of human bear baiting is obscene.

Oh, and perhaps he should be a guest on his own show -

Hypocritical little poo poo-weasel.

That, in my opinion is the best thing about him though. His hilariously dodgy past, just allows him to go "well ive been there" and no-one bats an eye. I don't get the hate because we can all say "oh he is picking on scummy gutter-snipes" but when we all see them in the street we think exactly the same thing, he just says it. To their faces.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 9, 2010