Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

T. Finn posted:

I love this scene so much because Jerry has a mouthful of coffee cake and is also smirking when he delivers the line, and he holds it out at arms length and sort of showcases it, while Newman is slavering over it.

yeah it's definitely one of my favorite exchanges in the whole series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Uncle Leo?

The idea that Uncle Leo signs for the package as Uncle Leo cracks me up. Does he sign everything that way? Or only this time because it was a package for Jerry, so it wanted to make sure the postal guys knew he was Jerry's uncle.

I like to think he signed everything that way. :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

Uncle Leo?

The idea that Uncle Leo signs for the package as Uncle Leo cracks me up. Does he sign everything that way? Or only this time because it was a package for Jerry, so it wanted to make sure the postal guys knew he was Jerry's uncle.

Me too! Uncle Leo is awesome!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Cane Break posted:

yeah it's definitely one of my favorite exchanges in the whole series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZU05h3U2Hw

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
"Nobody's ever cracked the fifty percent barrier!"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
"But you're a mailman. 'Neither rain nor sleet nor'... ITS THE FIRST ONE!"

"I was never that big on creeds."

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
That always bugged me because rain isn't the first one. It's "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

penis sandwich
Aug 28, 2004

have some pudding :)

T. Finn posted:

I love this scene so much because Jerry has a mouthful of coffee cake and is also smirking when he delivers the line, and he holds it out at arms length and sort of showcases it, while Newman is slavering over it.

It's always made me want a Drake's coffee cake in a big way :ohdear:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kevyn posted:

That always bugged me because rain isn't the first one. It's "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Georges rising confusion and anger > accuracy

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

Some clever person working for channel 13 in LA put a couple of great episodes back to back: the one where Jerry has to take care of Farfel the dog followed by the one where Kramer starts acting like a dog after taking dog medication for a cough.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
What the gently caress is up with Farfel's bark? It sounds like a demonic dog or something.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Useless Rabbit posted:

Some clever person working for channel 13 in LA put a couple of great episodes back to back: the one where Jerry has to take care of Farfel the dog followed by the one where Kramer starts acting like a dog after taking dog medication for a cough.

I felt like this the other day. I asked my dad "what do these two eps have in common" and when he gave up I told him, they both feature George going out with girls who know/go out with guys who look exactly like George (The lip reader ep and the one with the girl whose roommate is Scott I believe). Doubt it was intentional but awesome if it was.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Diabolik900 posted:

This is something that I love, but never noticed while watching them out of order in syndication. It wasn't until watching them on dvd that I realized how much continuity and how many callbacks there are in the show.

Especially season 4... I don't think I've ever watched the NBC pilot/Susan/Joe Devola arcs in order, it's amazing how much continuity there is here. The Joe Devola poo poo is really creeping me out :( And has there ever been a character like Susan before in a sitcom that's just been continually harassed and humiliated until one of the main characters kills her?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Nobody killed her, she just had to die.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Useless Rabbit posted:

What's that? There's trouble at the Old Mill?

Also: right now the funniest thing in the series is the double-take Kramer does in The Note where George says he's a stall guy. I think I have seen it mentioned here before.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Useless Rabbit posted:

It must've been a network feed, because FOX8 in NC played the same two episodes last night.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Cane Break posted:

NEWMAN: I don’t care much for the beach. I freckle. . . . Is that a,..

JERRY: Drake’s Coffee Cake

NEWMAN: Wow, where did you get that?

JERRY: From my house. I got a whole box of them.

NEWMAN: Boy, that’s the full size.

JERRY: That’s your big boy.

I don't really give out bites... :smug: *chew chew*

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
Love the 12-gauge. My favorite shotgun. Makes the 11-gauge look like a cap pistol.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Uncle Leo?

"Oh, right, Uncle Leo. I forgot his first name."

Konec Hry posted:

Also: right now the funniest thing in the series is the double-take Kramer does in The Note where George says he's a stall guy. I think I have seen it mentioned here before.

God I love that part. Does anyone have the gif?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

LesterGroans posted:

"Oh, right, Uncle Leo. I forgot his first name."

God I love that part. Does anyone have the gif?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

neoboman posted:

Love the 12-gauge. My favorite shotgun. Makes the 11-gauge look like a cap pistol.

I'm not a gun guy, you can check to see how often I post in TFR (never) but seeing idiotic musicians, television characters, comedians or writers confuse the gauge system always peeves me. The larger the number, the smaller the diameter. Hence, an 11 gauge (if there is such a thing) would be larger than a 12 gauge. IIRC, electrical wiring works the same way.

I'm not a physicist either, but I think it's been pointed out that "Of course, absolute zero!" was a little off-putting as well.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I'm not a gun guy, you can check to see how often I post in TFR (never) but seeing idiotic musicians, television characters, comedians or writers confuse the gauge system always peeves me. The larger the number, the smaller the diameter. Hence, an 11 gauge (if there is such a thing) would be larger than a 12 gauge. IIRC, electrical wiring works the same way.

I'm not a physicist either, but I think it's been pointed out that "Of course, absolute zero!" was a little off-putting as well.

The whole point of the joke was that they didn't know. They were bullshitting.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Jerry does that a lot really.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

My favorite aspect of the joke is I always wonder how many people watching know what a 10/11/12 gauge is, they probably make the same assumption George did and thus don't even realize it's a joke.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

hope and vaseline posted:

Especially season 4... I don't think I've ever watched the NBC pilot/Susan/Joe Devola arcs in order, it's amazing how much continuity there is here. The Joe Devola poo poo is really creeping me out :( And has there ever been a character like Susan before in a sitcom that's just been continually harassed and humiliated until one of the main characters kills her?

To be fair, she tried her best to be a horrible person who screwed with other people's lives as well, she just didn't have the natural gifts of the main cast.

A continuity callback I love is when George is - for some godawful reason - tasked with planning somebody else's wedding with absolutely zero financial limitations put on him. He goes back to the envelope place where he bought the poison envelopes that killed Susan and the lady tries to shift to the back, cheap pages, and he turns it right back to the front and the most expensive.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Is Absolute Zero not a real thing? Because otherwise the joke works fine. George finally understands what it means because he stopped having sex. They never even say what it is.

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, she tried her best to be a horrible person who screwed with other people's lives as well, she just didn't have the natural gifts of the main cast.

A continuity callback I love is when George is - for some godawful reason - tasked with planning somebody else's wedding with absolutely zero financial limitations put on him. He goes back to the envelope place where he bought the poison envelopes that killed Susan and the lady tries to shift to the back, cheap pages, and he turns it right back to the front and the most expensive.

"How'd that all work out?"

"No complaints."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

What an awful system. What if someone wants to make something bigger than a 1 gauge. They'd have to start going into negative numbers and that just gets silly.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

neoboman posted:

My favorite aspect of the joke is I always wonder how many people watching know what a 10/11/12 gauge is, they probably make the same assumption George did and thus don't even realize it's a joke.

Anyone watching Seinfeld and seeing George and Jerry talk about shotgun sizes in a knowing tone is going to understand that they are bullshitting.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

hope and vaseline posted:

On Unhappily Ever After, they killed off the mom. And then brought her back as a ghost for a few episodes, it was quite bizarre.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dr_Amazing posted:

What an awful system. What if someone wants to make something bigger than a 1 gauge. They'd have to start going into negative numbers and that just gets silly.

Well, here it gets more confusing. First off, wire gauge isn't even measuring the same thing as shotgun gauge.

A shotgun's (and in years past, rifles too, now they tend to use the actual diameter) gauge is, basically, how many solid lead balls of that diameter are in a pound. So, in other words, if you made a solid lead ball who's diameter was the same as a 12-gauge shotgun's bore, it would be 1/12 of a pound. A 10-gauge shotgun would have pellets that are 1/10 of a pound, so therefore a 10-gauge is bigger than a 12-gauge.

If, in theory, you had a gun so big that a single pellet was larger than a pound (say two pounds,) most commonly in the case of cannons and whatnot, it would just be called a 2-pounder.

I don't know much about wire gauges, but from the wikipedia article/chart, it looks like they just keep adding zeroes, so a 0000 is bigger than a 000 which is bigger than a 00 and so on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dr_Amazing posted:

They start piling up zeroes and its dumb as it looks. Four aught (0000 gauge) wire is like half an inch across and 1 gauge is 5/16ths. I guess someone didn't think they'd ever want wire bigger than that. I think paint brushes do it too.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, here it gets more confusing. First off, wire gauge isn't even measuring the same thing as shotgun gauge.

A shotgun's (and in years past, rifles too, now they tend to use the actual diameter) gauge is, basically, how many solid lead balls of that diameter are in a pound. So, in other words, if you made a solid lead ball who's diameter was the same as a 12-gauge shotgun's bore, it would be 1/12 of a pound. A 10-gauge shotgun would have pellets that are 1/10 of a pound, so therefore a 10-gauge is bigger than a 12-gauge.

If, in theory, you had a gun so big that a single pellet was larger than a pound (say two pounds,) most commonly in the case of cannons and whatnot, it would just be called a 2-pounder.

I don't know much about wire gauges, but from the wikipedia article/chart, it looks like they just keep adding zeroes, so a 0000 is bigger than a 000 which is bigger than a 00 and so on.

The joke is that people on this planet have actually devoted entire minutes to thinking about gun gauges.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Is Absolute Zero not a real thing? Because otherwise the joke works fine. George finally understands what it means because he stopped having sex. They never even say what it is.

It absolutely is a real thing. However it's very hard to posit (as has been tried in this thread) what it could be an epiphanic answer to.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Should I watch from the beginning, is there a certain season where it gets its legs, or should I just jump in totally at random?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You could jump in anywhere you want really. I think it gets its legs early in Season 2, but Season 1 is only 5 eps long. The pilot is pretty weird as Elaine is absent from the main cast, and it feels like the whole dynamic between the characters is a little off.

Mrs. O: Oh, the *passion*. The *forbidden pleasure*--

Elaine: You had an affair with Ghandhi?

Mrs. O: He used to dip his bald head in oil and rub it all over my body.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

spe posted:

Should I watch from the beginning, is there a certain season where it gets its legs, or should I just jump in totally at random?

There is a point where it starts to hit its stride more, but I would watch from the beginning, if only to see the evolution happen and to catch all the references.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

spe posted:

Season 4, definitely.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Does anyone actually eat the muffin like Elaine describes? The whole pop the top, toss the stump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yakattak posted:

Does anyone actually eat the muffin like Elaine describes? The whole pop the top, toss the stump?

Top of the muffin TO YOU!