Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Running.

Semantics, who ever walks? Running is already pretty drat slow in the beginning as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any help for a Magic newbie for Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers? I am bad at this game.

I haven't played DotP, however, the best way by far to learn Magic is face to face with real people. Buy one of the latest prebuilt decks and hang out at your local gaming store. Most people there are pretty friendly and willing to help a newbie.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gynovore posted:

I haven't played DotP, however, the best way by far to learn Magic is face to face with real people. Buy one of the latest prebuilt decks and hang out at your local gaming store. Most people there are pretty friendly and willing to help a newbie.

If you bought DotP and dont already play, buying real cards is probably the last thing on your mind.

Which deck are you using? Tips have a lot to do with the color of the deck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just in general for Magic the Gathering

White = Magic: Healing and Damage Prevention/Creatures:Weaker, but defense focused
Blue = Magic: Counters other magic, fucks with libraries/Creatures: Middling but defense focused
Green = Magic: Buffing, lots and lots of buffing/Creatures:Everything under the loving sun
Red = Magic: Damage every which way and loose/Creatures: Middling but offense focused
Black = Magic: Death and negative buffs/Creatures: Weaker but offense focused.

Note in Planeswalkers, most decks are mixtures and have very stringent themes you need to play to to win.

Creatures fully heal at the end of the combat phase. So a 1/1 fighting a 2/2 does no lasting damage and dies without having done anything if you send him to attack. On the other hand, if defending you'll receive no damage from that 2/2. Importantly if you have instant damage spells or abilities you can slap them on at the end of the combat phase. A 1/1 fighting a 4/4 seems stupid but slap on a thunderbolt for 3 damage and boom, fried that sumbitch. That last sentence is pretty much how you play a red deck.

Plan your turn and your opponents turn out. I.e., think to yourself if I attack with x, y, and z he'll block this way. On his turn x, y, and z are tapped so I won't be able to rely on them.

Proper usage of your spells, enchantments and abilities is absolutely necessary. A deck of nothing but strong monsters will get absolutely smothered by a deck with synergy between its magic and monsters. When you look at the cards in your hand, you need to judge if they're a good complement to each other, especially based on what your opponent has. Adding +1/+2 to a 1/1 is worthless when the opponent has a 3/3 on the table.

If you're having trouble winning and want to just wreck the AI, play the Elf deck in Planeswalkers. Every creature is an elf, there are elves who make all elves stronger and their is one whose ability is to give a bonus to all elves based on lands in play. It's not hard to have an army of 40/40 creatures on your side before turn 10.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 8, 2010

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you bought DotP and dont already play, buying real cards is probably the last thing on your mind.

Which deck are you using? Tips have a lot to do with the color of the deck.

I've been using the..Teeth of the Predator? The green one of the two you start with.

quote:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'd rather learn how to play through this game than spend more on cards to play with about 1 other person that I know that plays Magic.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 8, 2010

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Any tips for playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent? If it helps i am terrified pretty much the whole time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

I've been using the..Teeth of the Predator? The green one of the two you start with.

This decks goal is really simple. Get as much land in play as possible, poo poo up the board with grizzlies and what not, cast Overrun, win game.

With more explanation:

See those powerful rear end creatures? They aren't whats going to win you the game. The real meat of this deck is in Branchwood Armor and in Overrun. Giant growths don't hurt either.

Branchwood buffs up a creature with +1/+1 for each forest you control, meaning in a pure green deck this card is an at minimum +3/+3. However, as each new land comes in play it becomes stronger and stronger. This sort of enchantment can safely go on early creatures like grizzly bears since it would at minimum make them a turn 3 5/5 and it scales up with each land you play.

Giants growth on the other hand, is +3/+3 just to make a specific creature stronger temporarily. Its great on both offense and especially on defense to provide a huge boost to a creature for only one mana, effectively making their offense fall into a giant trap.

Lastly, and most importantly is Overrun. This card gives everything you have +3/+3 and trample. Trample means if a creature with trample is blocked any damage it deals greater than the defender's life is dealt directly to the defending player. In game terms a 2/2 with trample fighting a 1/1 would not only kill the 1/1 but also deal 1 damage to the player.

Basically, rampant growth and life spring are your stall cards allowing you to find more mana and gain life back so you can get 3,4 creatures on the table, Cast Overrun and utterly destroy your opponent in one attack phase.

Remember what I said about those big creatures not being what wins you the game? They cost too much mana and come too late in the game to be the driving force. They are for if you get bogged down/can't find overun/just can't deal quite enough damage extra. They are basically a "straw to break the camel's back" but they aren't the rest of the load that camel's gonna have to carry.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 8, 2010

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Have you got any tips for the first White deck you fight?
She either keeps casting Pacifism, or just has a poo poo-ton of monsters that keep giving her life.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

Have you got any tips for the first White deck you fight?
She either keeps casting Pacifism, or just has a poo poo-ton of monsters that keep giving her life.

Whats the name of the deck? Also Pacifism is probably the single most powerful and always useful white card in the game.

Two ways to win here:

A) Get lucky she doesn't find a pacifism and rape her with bears in the first few turns.
B) Rape her with bears over the course of a dozen turns

The problem is, normally I'd just tell you put a tranquility in your deck but alas, that is not how DoTP is designed.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Whats the name of the deck? Also Pacifism is probably the single most powerful and always useful white card in the game.

Two ways to win here:

A) Get lucky she doesn't find a pacifism and rape her with bears in the first few turns.
B) Rape her with bears over the course of a dozen turns

The problem is, normally I'd just tell you put a tranquility in your deck but alas, that is not how DoTP is designed.

The deck I'm having problems with is Wings Of Light.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That's a nasty one. You kinda need to pick one of the decks and grind the first guy a few times because the default doesnt work.
Alternatively go into custom duel, set the Life and deck size for you to max and the opponent's to minimum. Easy way to fill up a deck.

Protip I recalled btw, when you unlock the artifacts that give 1 life whenever you play card of X color, take them out. They just clog up your deck reducing the odds of getting anything genuinely useful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

The deck I'm having problems with is Wings Of Light.

Well thats an unpleasant match up because you have no tranquility and you have zero of the cards your deck is actually supposed to work with. And they gave her 3 holy days by default.

Ok, the good news is the toughest thing she has a is a 3/3 flying although why did they give her 3 glorious anthems, thats just mean.

The bad news is since you lack cards with which you deck normally operates (wolf pack, elvish piper, my favorite card in the entire game not DoTP I mean all of Magic the Gathering; Verdant Force) you're in a bad position.

Your goal is to get creatures on the table, and save up your buffs until she either has no cards in hand or she can't pacify you. Basically, you need to bait pacifisms out of her than slap on branchwood armor. If you have troll ascetics branchwood goes on them ASAP and nothing else. The whole time your doing that you need to be relentlessly killing her creatures. It doesn't matter if its attrition because you have more and stronger creatures than she does and she has no way to deal direct damage without them.

Only once you've murdered her army/she's in a vulnerable position should you overrun. Even then its a bit of gamble thanks to Holy Day, which giving her 3 of them is delightfully horseshit.

If you can unlock more of your side board especially the cards I mentioned she'll go down a lot, a lot easier.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 9, 2010

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Well thats an unpleasant match up because you have no tranquility and you have zero of the cards your deck is actually supposed to work with. And they gave her 3 holy days by default.

Ok, the good news is the toughest thing she has a is a 3/3 flying although why did they give her 3 glorious anthems, thats just mean.

The bad news is since you lack cards with which you deck normally operates (wolf pack, elvish piper, my favorite card in the entire game not DoTP I mean all of Magic the Gathering; Verdant Force) you're in a bad position.

Your goal is to get creatures on the table, and save up your buffs until she either has no cards in hand or she can't pacify you. Basically, you need to bait pacifisms out of her than slap on branchwood armor. The whole time your doing that you need to be relentlessly killing her creatures. It doesn't matter if its attrition because you have more and stronger creatures than she does and she has no way to deal direct damage without them.

Only once you've murdered her army/she's in a vulnerable position should you overrun. Even then its a bit of gamble thanks to Holy Day, which giving her 3 of them is delightfully horseshit.

If you can unlock more of your side board especially the cards I mentioned she'll go down a lot, a lot easier.
What's Holy Day? And how do you get rid of Pacifism?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

What's Holy Day? And how do you get rid of Pacifism?

Holy Day is an instant spell which prevents all combat damage which means it can be cast after you have tapped your creatures. Pacifism is an enchantment which normally means any of a huge collection of disenchantments would be used, but thats not how DoTP works so you'll just have to learn to deal with it.

The game does, graciously, give you troll ascetics. They are immune to pacifism so slap branchwood on them, slap giant growth, slap everything on them and go wreck her. Seriously, she has no counter for that combination that isn't stalling with holy day/trying to out-damage you with angels and anthems.

If necessary, grind on the first guy and get more sideboard cards, but troll ascetic + branchwood should win you the game by turn 4/5 barring some bad luck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything for Bayonetta, beyond 'dodge and turn your brain off during the cutscenes?'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PJStelford posted:

Anything for Bayonetta, beyond 'dodge and turn your brain off during the cutscenes?'

Buy the bat-form power up ASAP as it makes your dodging even better. If you spam the dodge button like a fat kid throwing money at an ice cream truck, don't buy bird form as double tapping dodge switches you into it. If, however, you're capable of pressing a button once instead of flailing like a man on a sinking ship bird form lets you bypass most jumping puzzles and lets you extend a lot of combos in interesting ways.

If you find a piece of a gold record, know that all the remaining pieces to that gold record are in the level. The first gold record will be complete, the second one will be in two pieces each dropped by a boss, and the last ones will require exploration throughout their respective levels.

The shop versions of items are identical to the ones you got for free and exist so you can do hand/leg set ups with them.

If you're having a really hard time, make some lollipops. The shield in particular is easy mode and using items doesn't hurt your level rank at all making Platinums easier to get.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Playing more of Icewind Dale, what should I buy for my party of Fighter, Paladin, Cleric, Mage, and Thief? That and what are some general suggestion to change in-game?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I just got Mount and Blade: Warband on Steam, anything I should know? I really have no idea about what the game's about, just a few things I saw in the new screen shot LP. Also, are there any mods I should consider getting? There seem to be a lot of nice graphics mods floating around, but I'm not sure which ones are good and which will work with the Steam version.

Also, for characters I like playing as Girls with Swords, any hints so I don't bone my build from the outset?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kid Moe posted:

Any tips for playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent? If it helps i am terrified pretty much the whole time

Play with the lights on. :v:

But no, the best way to enjoy the game is to take the developers' own advice at the start. Decent headphones, take your time, explore everywhere, etc. Soak up the story and atmosphere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Playing more of Icewind Dale, what should I buy for my party of Fighter, Paladin, Cleric, Mage, and Thief? That and what are some general suggestion to change in-game?

ID is all about minimizing damage to yourself. Monster summoning should be your best friend because you're constantly outnumbered in the game and summoned creatures are basically a sponge to soak up damage you shouldn't be taking. The thief's backstab in the game is almost always useless because once combat begins it's not feasible to run away, hide in shadows, then attempt to backstab again. Instead, have your thief and a bunch of monsters scout ahead while hiding in shadows. Use the thief to basically plan out battles in advance, have your summoned monsters attack first, and then bring in the rest of your party who fight with ranged weapons until the summoned monsters are dead and you switch to melee. Invest in a good bow for the thief because he'll probably become the primary archer.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gerblyn posted:

I just got Mount and Blade: Warband on Steam, anything I should know? I really have no idea about what the game's about, just a few things I saw in the new screen shot LP. Also, are there any mods I should consider getting? There seem to be a lot of nice graphics mods floating around, but I'm not sure which ones are good and which will work with the Steam version.

Also, for characters I like playing as Girls with Swords, any hints so I don't bone my build from the outset?
You could do some multiplayer before you engage in the singleplayer - you'll have battle skills that will allow you to paste the AI.

Note that a lot of skills are "party" based. Pick up some people you're always going to keep in your party and make them skill monkeys. Save your character for fighting and leader-only skills.

Get a lot of food or get your leadership really high if you want to have a lot of troops / a lot of hero followers without major morale drops.

Certain followers don't get along with each other/ don't work well with a particular playstyle. Broadly speaking, you have evil followers, who like their robbing, raping, pillaging of villages, raping, loving up quests, leaving soldiers to cover the rear when you flee from battle and raping. Then you have the good followers, who like the opposite. They can work in the same party if you stuff enough pork down their throats, but it's troublesome.

The game is called Mount and Blade for a reason. Get the hang of mounted combat and / or mounted archery, and you'll be killing hundreds of guys yourself.

Couched lances deliver shittons of damage, even on armored guys. But if you get your driveby hacking right, sword or axes or maces are actually way more efficient at killing guys.

Being evil is far easier than being good, so save the noble paladin for your second playthrough. Rob villages for easy cash, fail quests if they're too much to bother with, pillage and burn and stuff.

Following a large lord army as they engage smaller forces can get you free xp and stuff if you're hard pressed for either.

Order in which you should start killing peoples: Common bandits, sea raiders, steppe-raiders (their freaking horse-archery is so annoying), deserters (basically un-aligned regular troops), actual armies of whatever kingdom you dislike. Trying to take on regular soldiers with your starting guys is not a good idea.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 9, 2010

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Rirse posted:

Playing more of Icewind Dale, what should I buy for my party of Fighter, Paladin, Cleric, Mage, and Thief?

Depends where you are in the game. If you're still mostly based out of Kuldahar (so while you're exploring the Vale, the Temple and the Caves), then you don't need to worry about spending too much money on buying weapons and armor. You should be able to equip your characters fairly effectively using whatever you've got from Easthaven and whatever you find in loot. Plus, most of the weapons and armor at the shopkeepers will be way out of your price range. Still, in terms of weapons and armor, you should consider the following in Kuldahar:

- Make sure your front-line fighters are wearing the best armor you can afford. With two of them (assuming you're using your fighter for melee and not ranged) it might be a little harder, but try to grab the Plate Armor +1 from the smith in Kuldahar if possible.
- Make sure everyone has a ranged weapon, and make sure that characters who primarily use ranged weapons have the best version of that weapon that you can afford.
- Make sure that everyone has a helmet.
- Make sure that everyone has plenty of ammo, and that you're carrying enough to get through the dungeon if you can't make it back to town.

After that, I'd hit up Orrick the mage and pick up some spell scrolls for my mage. Don't worry about buying any of the mage equipment until later, either. Also remember that Orrick, unlike any other merchant in the game, will periodically get new things to sell but will cease to sell his old stock. It happens 4-5 times in the game, and only with the equipment (not with the scrolls). The scroll stock just continually expands.

Rirse posted:

That and what are some general suggestion to change in-game?

You have a thief, so invest a few points in pickpocket. There are some excellent and helpful items that can be stolen as soon as you arrive in Kuldahar, so it's a good way to give yourself an early leg-up in combat. Good people to rob are Orrick, Arundel and Oswald, but there are others. Remember that some characters are carrying more than one item that can be stolen, so keep stealing from people until you get the "Nothing left to steal" message.

Learn to position your party. You can select from a bunch of different party configurations, but the best ones are the ones that keep your weaker party members directly behind your stronger party members. Configurations that spread the party out mean that enemies will be more likely to target your ranged attackers than your melee. I prefer the two columns of three, or the triangle with your tank at the forefront. Remember that you can drag-and-drop your party's portraits to rearrange who stands where.

If you find yourself strapped for cash, try a different bartering strategy. Identical items produce diminishing profits when sold individually. So the first time you sell a merchant a Long Sword +1, he might give you 1000 gold for it. But the second time, he might only give you 900, or 850. In other words, when it comes to generic magical items, it's sometimes worth hanging on to them until you've got a couple to sell. With cheap items, there's no point in saving them up. But if an item is worth 50 gold or more and you can reasonably expect to encounter a lot of them in the near future, it's very much worth hoarding them until you can sell them all in one go.

Sometimes townspeople will have quests for you, but only if you speak to them with the right class of character. There's a man in Easthaven having strange dreams who'll only speak to a bard, and a man in Kuldahar who'll only reveal his crisis of faith to a cleric or a paladin. So don't be afraid to have characters who aren't the party leader speak to NPCs.

Take a look at the scripts for your characters (in your Character Record menu). You can really get the jump on monsters by having your ranged attackers auto-target and engage enemies from a distance, and you can avoid rushing into combat by having your fighters assume a defensive instead of offensive script. Avoid setting your mages to a script that has them auto-cast spells during combat, since spells should be micromanaged during combat for most of the game.

Play around with your autopause. Bad things can happen very quickly, so setting the game to autopause at certain points will give you time to consider your actions. I set mine to autopause whenever an enemy is sighted, whenever one of my character's attacks aren't doing any damage to the target, and whenever one of my characters has killed its target.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I-War 2?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Demon's Souls anyone? I made a knight, stumbled through 1-1, killed the Phalanx without too much trouble, started up 1-2 and well yeah. I couldn't really make it back to my bloodstain after that and ended up leaving. Now I seem to be stuck in "soul form". Any ideas on where to go next or should I just start over fresh?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

I-War 2?

Hell we should add I-war 1 while we're at it. :v:
Just got it working (somewhat) on my machine.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Jjaarreett posted:

Demon's Souls anyone? I made a knight, stumbled through 1-1, killed the Phalanx without too much trouble, started up 1-2 and well yeah. I couldn't really make it back to my bloodstain after that and ended up leaving. Now I seem to be stuck in "soul form". Any ideas on where to go next or should I just start over fresh?

Soul form has benefits, you make less noise which means alerting enemies less, when you die world tendency doesn't shift towards black etc. It's better to work systematically through the X-1 worlds as the X-2+ worlds tend to be exponentially harder if you go through in order. Good order is 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 2-3, 1-2 etc. This way you're bumping up both your soul level and new equipment.

Don't be afraid of dying, also, check out the Demon's Soul's thread, at the mo someone just put up a more detailed but short length beginners guide in one of the posts

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Jjaarreett posted:

I'm terrible at Demon Souls, so I can't offer much advice, except that being in Soul Form is pretty normal and really isn't anything to be worried about. Somewhere hidden in 1-1 is an item (a ring I think) that gives you a buff while in Soul Form, so you may want to run back and get it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jjaarreett posted:

The game really isn't designed to go 1-1 > 1-2. Try 1-1 > 2-1 > 2-2 > ???.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jjaarreett posted:

Being in Soul Form is often preferable. Each world has a "Tendency" thats black or white. When you die in body form you sway it towards black, enemies get harder and drops improve. When you kill a boss it moves towards white, enemies are easier but less drops. For this reason on the first go its often easier to just kill yourself in the nexus, which has no tendency, everytime you get your body back. There's a ring you can get in 1-2 I believe that increases your max health in soul form so the difference becomes largely beneficial.
If its the one im thinking of...after you beat the blue knight in 1-2 and the soul door opens, you'll see a set of stair cases behind the soul door. Since you cant jump you have to sort of find the right time to run foreward "off" the stairs so you land on the waist high wall below. You'll see an NPC nearby. dispose of all the enemies near him and talk to him, he'll give you this ring as a reward.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Master of Magic?

I was on the verge of sorta winning my first game on the intro difficulty when it crashed. I'm curious what I need to know before I try a higher difficulty level. I've been playing Civ games all my life, but I suck at HoM&M games and MoM seems to be a cross of the two.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RagnarokAngel posted:

If its the one im thinking of...after you beat the blue knight in 1-2 and the soul door opens, you'll see a set of stair cases behind the soul door. Since you cant jump you have to sort of find the right time to run foreward "off" the stairs so you land on the waist high wall below. You'll see an NPC nearby. dispose of all the enemies near him and talk to him, he'll give you this ring as a reward.

This is in 1-1 actually. Note that you should either make sure this specific NPC lives to the end of 1-3 or make sure to loot his corpse if he ever dies. He drops/gives you a ring that opens a door to an optional boss with the best light male armor in the game.
EDIT: This is quite far away for you if you've just got 1-1, but try to leave the boss in 1-4 for last since after you kill him you cannot upgrade your stats until you start New Game+.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 10, 2010

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm not saying you should spend your life savings on cards. Go to your local store and spend $10 on the latest preconstructed deck. This will allow you to have a satisfying game with anyone who also has one. The people you meet at a gaming store are almost always friendly and willing to help a newbie, especially since Spergy McSpergerson spends all his time on Magic Online nowadays.

Offhand, my best advice is, know whether you are on the offensive or defensive. Sometimes you should be pounding your opponent, sometimes you should be preventing him from pounding on you. I've won many games where the opponent kept attacking when he should have been on the defensive.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Machine posted:

Master of Magic?
I was on the verge of sorta winning my first game on the intro difficulty when it crashed. I'm curious what I need to know before I try a higher difficulty level. I've been playing Civ games all my life, but I suck at HoM&M games and MoM seems to be a cross of the two.

Master of Magic is buggy as poo poo, and will crash no matter what you do. Fortunately it autosaves every four turns, but you should still manually save every so often. Some of the bigger bugs are;

Magic Vortex, Raise Dead, and Animate Dead will cause the game to flake out and crash eventually. As a workaround, you can go into spells.lbx with a hex editor and change their cost to 9999, to prevent the AI from casting them.

Diplomacy is poo poo; the AI will declare war on you eventually. Also, Aura of Majesty and Subversion do nothing.

The AI is dumber than dirt. For one thing, it is completely incapable of loading units onto a boat, so you can pretty much ignore an enemy on another landmass. Also, the AI ignores gold and mana upkeep, so debuffing it's cities and nodes does nothing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What should I know about Master of Orion 2 that's not in the wiki? I'm playing it for the very first time. I dicked around with it for about an hour last night up until I founded a colony on a planet with no food, which taught me that food is important at least. I also accidentally found Orion and got my poo poo kicked in by the guardian.

What should I be looking for in new colonies and what should I be doing to get them up and running? How many colonies is a good number and how soon should I be trying to get them?

The tech tree is overwhelming, what should I be focusing on there? Ship design is also pretty overwhelming, what do I need to be thinking about on that screen?

Any other tips are welcome as well, it seems like a pretty big game.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I started playing Medievil (PSone classic). I beat the first boss so far. Seems pretty straightforward but, any specific thing I need to watch out for?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Jjaarreett posted:

Soul form is good, stay in it unless you want to try and summon people. Combine soul form and the Thief's Ring and you'll have a much easier time getting around the levels. That ring may actually be one of the best items in the game (you should have got it in 1-1).

Putting points into endurance is pretty important, if you stamina completely drains then blocking isn't going to do you any good. Also note that if you let go of the block button, your stamina recharges faster. Took me a long time to realize that.

Also the Evacuation miracle is very useful and it doesn't take much to learn it.

As for where to go next, 1-2 isn't bad once you figure it out but 2-1 may be the better choice. Definitely get used to carrying a bow/arrows with you wherever you go, in addition to your regular weapon. I could talk on and on about Demon's Souls.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Hey, I'm looking for some tips on Space Rangers 2 (Reboot).

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Ainsley McTree posted:

What should I know about Master of Orion 2 that's not in the wiki? I'm playing it for the very first time. I dicked around with it for about an hour last night up until I founded a colony on a planet with no food, which taught me that food is important at least. I also accidentally found Orion and got my poo poo kicked in by the guardian.

What should I be looking for in new colonies and what should I be doing to get them up and running? How many colonies is a good number and how soon should I be trying to get them?

The tech tree is overwhelming, what should I be focusing on there? Ship design is also pretty overwhelming, what do I need to be thinking about on that screen?

Any other tips are welcome as well, it seems like a pretty big game.

There's not so much that you'll never figure everything out, so just do something, and if it doesn't work, try something else next game. There's nothing wrong with colonizing planets with no food, you just need a freighter fleet to transport food automatically from stockpiles on other planets. Most likely your homeworld early on. Just build freighters and have a stockpile somewhere else.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ainsley McTree posted:

What should I know about Master of Orion 2 that's not in the wiki?

Try to colonize your share of the galaxy; for example, if there are 3 opponents, try for 1/4 of the galaxy. Still, don't colonize poo poo planets. Yes, you can colonize a foodless planet using freighter fleets to import food, but that costs you money each turn. Oh, always send a scout first!

Try to research stuff that gives you bonuses to research, farming, and production. When in doubt, research whatever is cheapest. Also, you can't go wrong researching Sociology, it's all good.

Missiles dominate the first half of the game, beam weapons the last. IMHO, Plasma Cannons give the most bang for the buck. Overall, tho, the guy with the best shields usually wins.

DIPLOMACY. Make friends with every race you meet, even if you have to butter them up with a few tech gifts. If you encounter a Repulsive race (no diplomacy possible), prepare for war.

If you have archives, I posted an uber-strategy about a year ago, forget exactly where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

lordfrikk posted:

Hey, I'm looking for some tips on Space Rangers 2 (Reboot).

Your initial missions will mainly be delivery and the distance determines the reward. When you first start out take the easier ones that only require one or possibly two jumps, else you'll run out of fuel and fail the mission.

Related to that, don't forget that certain ship chassis have boosters which will greatly cut down the time it takes to traverse a system. You pay for it in repairs though.

Don't forget you can communicate with other ships! This is great if you're being attacked by, or gunning down, a pirate or other criminal. Simply ask surrounding ships for assistance but realize that they will immediately go for any equipment from the destroyed vessel.