Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

General Gingersnap posted:

oh ok
Sorry, I guess I just don't understand how whether or not a homeless guy has eaten recently is relevant to anything. As far as I can see, Schuman takes photos of whoever looks interesting to him - it's not just people with fancy expensive clothes, he has tons of photos of people in generic casual clothes, work clothes, uniforms, etc. Why would a homeless guy be off limits? If they have no problem posing for him, why do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

General Gingersnap posted:

Apologies, misread the tone then!

I really enjoy looking through VII, a lot of really great photo stoires. James Nachtwey founded it, so the bar is set pretty high.

Donald Weber is a VII shooter, covered Russian police interrogations

http://www.viiphoto.com/showstory.php?nID=1180

This isn't getting enough love. It's a short series with a simple premise but that last picture made my stomach churn. The range of emotions displayed is amazing.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

quote:

Sorry, I guess I just don't understand how whether or not a homeless guy has eaten recently is relevant to anything. As far as I can see, Schuman takes photos of whoever looks interesting to him - it's not just people with fancy expensive clothes, he has tons of photos of people in generic casual clothes, work clothes, uniforms, etc. Why would a homeless guy be off limits? If they have no problem posing for him, why do you?

Exploitation of subjects has been a constant issue throughout the history of photography... maybe this discussion should be taken to a new thread because it's pretty interesting.

What about (rich, upper class) Diane Arbus photographing "deviant and marginal people"?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
I dont think you are ever going to be able to fully seperate photography and explotation, at least photography in a documentary/journalistic form. The only thing you can do is to try and eleviate it as much as possible.

Alot of the criticism aimed at Diane Arbus I dont really get, the people she photographed were marginal people, alot of them were freakish and most of them are strange and unusual. That might be an ignorant and harsh way to describe a set of people, and you could substitue the description but ultimately in the face of society and the norm thats what they were.

It is an interesting discussion, and there is definitely a line that can be crossed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fragrag posted:

This isn't getting enough love. It's a short series with a simple premise but that last picture made my stomach churn. The range of emotions displayed is amazing.

Agreeing with this. Gave me a little kick in the groin.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Why does he have a gun pointed to his head? I know I'm just another Internet commentator, but the photo reminds me of those fake "intense" photos people take on flickr. like "okay, portrait idea, you look scared and I'll point a gun at you. it'll be a frighteningly true emotive picture."

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helmacron posted:

Why does he have a gun pointed to his head? I know I'm just another Internet commentator, but the photo reminds me of those fake "intense" photos people take on flickr. like "okay, portrait idea, you look scared and I'll point a gun at you. it'll be a frighteningly true emotive picture."

He has a gun to his head because that is an effective way to get a confession. There's nothing fake about it, purportedly. If it is a picture of an actual interrogation, it's not unlikely there's a urine stain you can't see.

The Artist says posted:

I have been working on this photographic account of police work and the underworld in Eastern Europe off and on for the past five years. Documenting police work is far easier in a police state—an ex–police state, I suppose one should say—than it is in Canada. Here, the police interrogate suspects well out of public view and hide behind the bureaucratic screen of liberal democracy—the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Privacy Act as well as other confidentiality laws and so on—but still employ the techniques of intimidation, threats and mounting degrees of physical force to pry inculpatory statements from their subjects. The four months it took to complete this set of pictures involved a complete personal surrender of will. Every day was a fight between what I envisioned and what others involved deemed morally acceptable, even if it was repugnant to me. It was a clash of cultures, with my very quaint Enlightenment ideas clashing with the interrogators’ very serious ideas about confession.

http://www.canadianart.ca/art/features/2010/09/01/donald-weber/

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

scottch posted:

Alain Delorme's series of Shanghai cargo cyclists and their tottering, totem-esque loads.

http://www.alaindelorme.com/?p=works&ga=totem

Not sure what these are shot on, but the processing is very interesting.

brilliant, i think the processing complements the ridiculousness of the subject

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I clicked through the thread looking for an image I'd thought I'd seen here; it was a reproductions of 'Birth Of Venus' in someone backyard (it's an understatement, I know). Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was incredible and I want to see if I can get a print.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

dolphins are gay posted:

I clicked through the thread looking for an image I'd thought I'd seen here; it was a reproductions of 'Birth Of Venus' in someone backyard (it's an understatement, I know). Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was incredible and I want to see if I can get a print.

You didn't look hard enough - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229836&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post377760580

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

First all digital issue of Vogue. I probably like this a lot more than most of you guys will, but it's interesting regardless of your model gender preference.

http://www.vhjipad1.com/
I can't get it out of my head that the music for the intro photo sounds a whole lot like Transilvanian Hunger by Darkthrone

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I have a feeling that digital issue thing isn't going to catch on.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I really like it, but I agree with you because it does feel real 'internetty' in a avant garde ytmnd kind of way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks a lot for this!

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

GWBBQ posted:

I can't get it out of my head that the music for the intro photo sounds a whole lot like Transilvanian Hunger by Darkthrone

I thought it sounded like Street Spirit.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Looking at the one with the guy kneeling next to the wall (first moving one), the wall moves quite a lot between the last and first frame, and it looks a bit amateurish.

Also, it's a bit...."wanky". I don't see what they add. Like others have said, though, this forum has probably ruined me for animated GIFs being used for anything except stupidity.

EDIT: Also:

brad industry posted:

Exploitation of subjects has been a constant issue throughout the history of photography... maybe this discussion should be taken to a new thread because it's pretty interesting.

This would be great. Care to weigh in with an OP on this brad?

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 9, 2010

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I like all these video experiments by photographers and seeing what they do with the limitations they have. Here's a short film by fashion photographer Alex Prager:

http://www.nowness.com/day/2010/6/10/683/bryce-dallas-howard-in-despair

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

I like all these video experiments by photographers and seeing what they do with the limitations they have. Here's a short film by fashion photographer Alex Prager:

That was interesting, it's pretty neat to see how his still work is transformed into motion. Also, it still feels very much like his still work because he kept the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of widescreen. Do you know what the significance of the birds/planes imagery is?

I saw this post about combining typography and video in a photographic way. http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2010/07/28/combining-video-and-typography/ I'm surprised more of the iPad magazines aren't doing this yet. Right now video is sort of thrown in as an afterthought in the examples I've checked out.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 13, 2010

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Bjørn Jørgensen has a gallery with some pretty awesome pictures of aurora borealis.

http://www.arcticphoto.no/images/aurora/index.html

brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

That was interesting, it's pretty neat to see how his still work is transformed into motion. Also, it still feels very much like his still work because he kept the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of widescreen. Do you know what the significance of the birds/planes imagery is?

I don't know about that specific image, but I noticed it started and ended with a shot of the shoes. I think in her (it's a woman) photography women taking action is kind of a reoccurring theme so read into that what you will.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

brad industry posted:

I like this quite a bit. The way a lot of the shots are framed and with the camera movements it has a bit of a Hitchcock feel to it.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 14, 2010

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RBFp_5q7bY

My friend Josh's winning submission for the NxNW 48-hr film festival here in SpoVegas.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Here is a gallery of the 2010 Nikon-Walkley Press Photo Awards:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/gallery-e6frg6nf-1225939122829?page=1

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

unixbeard posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/gallery-e6frg6nf-1225939122829?page=1

I always enjoy looking at these kinds of things but they always make it painful to navigate through the photos.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

unixbeard posted:

This one got an audible gasp from me. I got goosebumps too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Seriously, how goddamn lucky do you have to be.

"I was driving along a road, saw some unusual waves, hopped out, took a picture, and when I got it off the camera noticed someone just happened to be there, making it an epic shot."

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
More like: "I watched a man die today."

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The Earth is loving awesome. That guy is awesome. I can't even imagine how that photo was taken with the perfect settings at the perfect time, but it's goddamn inspiring.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Axel Serenity posted:

The Earth is loving awesome. That guy is awesome. I can't even imagine how that photo was taken with the perfect settings at the perfect time, but it's goddamn inspiring.

I bet if you asked him

:haw: Oh yeah I just set it to auto!
:what: ...oh

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
This might seem surprising but there is more to photography than camera settings!!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Looks like there is a great big post-processing gradient diagonally across the image, its annoying because I really like that photo and can't unsee it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Twenties Superstar posted:

This might seem surprising but there is more to photography than camera settings!!

I just meant that it was an incredibly lucky photo, which is certainly a part of great photojournalism. "F/8 and be there" and all that jazz. There were a ton of different elements that had to come together at just the right time for it to turn out the way that it did.

Which I guess is what I like about photography so much. The guy who took that is the only one who will ever get that shot. He's an incredibly lucky photographer, and I don't mean that in a demeaning way at all. Most photogs will be hard-pressed to get one shot that good out of their careers.

In other news, National Geographic is in the middle of their annual photo contest.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 18, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The wave pic really swept me away. It isn't even that good technically, a bit unsharp and with visible noise. Which of course doesn't matter one bit.

The next pic in the series (bloody teen with stick) was...I don't know, his mental problems and exposed identity made me feel bad but his stride was so hoppy and skippy it made me chuckle.

Chill bear above is loving awesome. But that hairy guy with the tongue...is there any term for the color effect? I've seen it quite often and I don't like it. Nothing comes out of the camera looking like that, nothing looks like that in real life, it just says "I selected Modern Expressive from the effect presets".

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Axel Serenity posted:

This hurts my eyes. This would be a much better photo without all the lovely processing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This one caught my eye. Maybe not the most dramatic photo, but it seems like a great place to kick back and watch the world.

I want this on my wall:

I swear I've seen people here post images of this lake:

Or is my brain playing tricks on me?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

xzzy posted:

I swear I've seen people here post images of this lake:

Or is my brain playing tricks on me?

Nah, you have seen it before. It's Peyto Lake in Alberta, in the Rockies. I know I have posted a shot of it before and I think DreadHead posted a much better one.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ola posted:

Chill bear above is loving awesome. But that hairy guy with the tongue...is there any term for the color effect? I've seen it quite often and I don't like it. Nothing comes out of the camera looking like that, nothing looks like that in real life, it just says "I selected Modern Expressive from the effect presets".
Clarity slider to 100, exposure to +3, recovery to 100, blacks to about 35.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The clarity slider: helping homeless people look wise since Lightroom 1.1

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I don't like eggs.
What?
Eggs are your favorite!
Okay, then give me lots of eggs.

ZoCrowes posted:

This hurts my eyes. This would be a much better photo without all the lovely processing.

I thought what was the kind of detail and light you could expect with large format cameras. Oh well.

e: also I don't think he is homeless. He is clean shaven with a pressed shirt. Just hairy and old.

RagingTaco fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just saw it as an attempt to mimic the Einstein picture.. probably the hair that does it more than anything.

• Locked thread