Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Aezith posted:

It's loving awesome, I used to dislike them but this stuff really brought me back to their style.

Also, on the topic of Dimmu's new album (even though it's only marginally BM), I'm pleasantly surprised how atmospheric and eerie this album turned out. It's a hundred times better than the steaming pile of poo poo which was ISD.

I listened to the first couple Tracks, and it didn't really grab me. It took a while for "Gateways" to grow on me, so maybe I'll give the whole disc a spin sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The orchestral elements on the album are, at times, more enjoyable than the metal. It sounds like it was taken from Heroes of Might and Magic, what with the sweeping orchestration and the little flourishes here and there that sound like musical wisps prancing through an enchanted meadow.

Mr. Hoppy
Jul 23, 2006

this is how you lose it. just disappear into whatever lame shit you obsess over when you get depressed. stop growing. pod opens up and replaces the real you with your romanticized, mythologized doppleganger.

SinetheGuy posted:

So I've spent the last couple months completely immersing myself in doom metal, after many years flirting with more obvious forms of underground metal. Black metal never really grabbed me until today. I've been listening to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss over and over again. It's loving blowing my mind.

What can the experts recommend in that atmospheric/drony vein? More Burzum is in order, of course.

Just to quote this from a few pages back, you should totally listen to darkspace's first demo and album too because they are great.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mr. Hoppy posted:

Just to quote this from a few pages back, you should totally listen to darkspace's first demo and album too because they are great.

Thanking all y'all for the pretty great recommendations. I managed to shift over into a broader spectrum of BM after checking out more of the ambient stuff. Took me a second to get into the lower-fi, all tremolos and bass pedals, but I'm all in, now. The only thing I'm not sold on is the mostly blast beat stuff, like Mayhem.

Also, is it just me, or does ambient BM tend to have eerily quasi-fascist undertones, more so than other kinds of BM? Is that Varg's influence? I got into Walknut and started looking into their stuff; it didn't take too long to find various fascist acts associated with them. Getting that caught up with Germanic heritage can't be healthy.

Yeah, I dig some of that stuff, but I can't help but feel a bit uneasy while listening to it. I can listen to all the goregrind in the world and not give a gently caress, but slip a couple lines about "northern blood" in a song about landscapes and suddenly I feel legitimately provoked by metal. I guess it's the only way for extreme metal to fulfill it's promise of transgression for me.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 12, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

SinetheGuy posted:

The only thing I'm not sold on is the mostly blast beat stuff, like Mayhem.

Also, is it just me, or does ambient BM tend to have eerily quasi-fascist undertones, more so than other kinds of BM? Is that Varg's influence? I got into Walknut and started looking into their stuff; it didn't take too long to find various fascist acts associated with them. Getting that caught up with Germanic heritage can't be healthy.

I never got into Mayhem personally. I think if they didn't have such an involved history, they wouldn't have been well known for their music alone.

Don't spend too much time getting caught up with BM projects for their pro-Germanic stance, you are going to miss some great stuff. Taake, Peste Noire, Burzum, etc.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 12, 2010

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Plasma1010 posted:

Don't spend too much time getting caught up with BM projects for their pro-Germanic stance, you are going to miss some great stuff. Taake, Peste Noire, Burzum, etc.

This. I dislike NSBMism lyrics, but then again knowing that the person performing the song is batshit insane adds something to it (Burzum, Gorgoroth etc.)

Also I've always liked how people find NSBM objectionable but songs about disembowelling Christians with a rusty knife are a-ok

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Aezith posted:

This. I dislike NSBMism lyrics, but then again knowing that the person performing the song is batshit insane adds something to it (Burzum, Gorgoroth etc.)

Also I've always liked how people find NSBM objectionable but songs about disembowelling Christians with a rusty knife are a-ok

I imagine it has something to do with the actual atrocious history behind Nazism, whereas most extreme metal lyrics that involve graphic violence are written mainly for shock value or even for shits n' giggles, although I suppose that applies more to death metal than black metal.

But I agree, it's an amusing dynamic. Can you imagine the Moral Majority getting up in arms about Drudkh lyric sheets?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 12, 2010

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Plasma1010 posted:

I am again going to plug 'Evilfeast - Lost Horizons of Wisdom'. The fourth track on the album titled "My Tower Among The Timeless Mountains" is the best Synth / Black Metal track I have ever heard.

The transition from the synth to the guitars threw me for a loop because the qualities between are completely different, but aside from that I really enjoyed it from about 1:55 onward. Kinda gave me an Arcturus meets Burzum feel. Hows the rest of the album play?

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Openknees posted:

The transition from the synth to the guitars threw me for a loop because the qualities between are completely different, but aside from that I really enjoyed it from about 1:55 onward. Kinda gave me an Arcturus meets Burzum feel. Hows the rest of the album play?

It's literally one of my favorite albums of all time, but I'm not sure why the Synth to Guitar transition surprised you, considering the track opens with the same Synth and Guitar, transitions to just the Synth, then back to both.

I post Evilfeast periodically here for who is interested, you can check this track off a different album and if you like it, you'll probably like Evilfeast as a whole ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iX1bI-9b3w

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 12, 2010

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SinetheGuy posted:

But I agree, it's an amusing dynamic. Can you imagine the Moral Majority getting up in arms about Drudkh lyric sheets?

But Drudkh's lyrics are just old Ukrainian poems?

...oh I think I just got the joke :shobon:

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

So the past 3 months I took the plunge into black metal after getting kinda burned out on Japanese raw punk and 80s crust/D-beat. I was pretty surprised by how much I liked of what I heard considering I've always been kinda wary of extreme metal. I'm typically drawn more towards mid tempo, punkier, and lo fi stuff and I really dig the whole atmosphere the music provides.

My favorites so far have been
Panzerfaust by Darkthrone
Cult is Alive by Darkthrone
Nights Middle EP by Bone Awl
Magnetism of War by Bone Awl
the first Bathory Demo
Nahvlar s/t
Deathcrush by Mayhem
Dimensiónes del Trance Kósmico by Volahn

That Volahn lp is loving awesome Indigenismo inspired black metal, its one of my favorite albums I've heard all year.

I can't get into Transylvanian Hunger at all its my least favorite Darkthrone album, every song sounds exactly the same to me and its not even cool in a hypnotic way to me, no matter how hard I want to like it just hasn't hit me. I've listened to most of Burzum's non synth discography, but part of me still feels weird about it because the dude is a nutjob (ironically I like Fang a lot!). Some others I've listened too in passing that were enjoyable or okay were Gnaw Their Tounges, Hex Noir, and Von.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You'd definitely like the newer Darkthrone stuff - it's a lot more crusty and punky. Try Dark Thrones and Black Flags.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax
I don't have anything clever to say about Belenos, except that they are a fantastic band and you should give them a listen:

Belenos - Spicilege
Belenos - Morfondu

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Aezith posted:

I usually just try to ignore whatever racist viewpoints people put in music and try to appreciate the sound of the music itself. Unfortunately, this once ended with me getting a Pluton Svea song stuck in my head. :ughh: All day long, over and over again: friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family! DON'T STAY OUT TOO LATE! AS LONG AS THERE IS NIGGERS THERE IS HATE!

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Yep, I had a whole Vaginal Jesus album stuck in my head for a week so I understand how you felt :haw:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Judas Chongo posted:

So the past 3 months I took the plunge into black metal after getting kinda burned out on Japanese raw punk and 80s crust/D-beat. I was pretty surprised by how much I liked of what I heard considering I've always been kinda wary of extreme metal. I'm typically drawn more towards mid tempo, punkier, and lo fi stuff and I really dig the whole atmosphere the music provides.

the first Bathory Demo
Nahvlar s/t
Deathcrush by Mayhem

That Volahn lp is loving awesome Indigenismo inspired black metal, its one of my favorite albums I've heard all year.

I can't get into Transylvanian Hunger at all its my least favorite Darkthrone album, every song sounds exactly the same to me and its not even cool in a hypnotic way to me, no matter how hard I want to like it just hasn't hit me. I've listened to most of Burzum's non synth discography, but part of me still feels weird about it because the dude is a nutjob (ironically I like Fang a lot!). Some others I've listened too in passing that were enjoyable or okay were Gnaw Their Tounges, Hex Noir, and Von.

I really liked the little bit of Bone Awl I heard, but I'm having a hard time getting my hands on some more. It reminds me of all that punk I vaguely remember being an obsessive geek over. Same goes for Darkthrone's new crusty stuff. Whatever happened to those simpler, more innocent days?

Anyway, I personally recommend revisiting Transylvanian Hunger at some point. I felt the same way about it for a while, but that opening melody starting to creep into my head. I'm pretty into it now.

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

Oh yeah I definitely enjoy all of the recent Darkthrone albums, Circle the Wagons rules and has great album artwork. I still haven't listened to A Blaze in The Northern Sky and a handful of their other works yet. Panzerfaust is definitely my favorite though, it was my first BM album to listen to and the first time I heard Quintessence I was hooked, what a sinister fuckin album.

I'm getting a new record player this week and I've got a shipment of BM vinyls along with some Godflesh and a few hardcore albums on its way, life owns hail satan.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Judas Chongo posted:

I'm getting a new record player this week and I've got a shipment of BM vinyls along with some Godflesh and a few hardcore albums on its way, life owns hail satan.

Vinyl buddies :hfive:

The Hooded Menace/Coffins 7" and "Fulfill The Curse" finally came last week from Doomentia, after a good 2 months of waiting. Just makes me that much more excited about MDF next year.

Also have the new Watain coming to me on vinyl. gently caress the haters, it's an awesome album.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Go listen to Akitsa and Ildjarn for punky, lo-fi aggression.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Kvelertak are basically punk with just enough of a black metal edge that I can listen to them. Also they are ridiculously fun live.

http://www.myspace.com/kvelertak

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn
I really really like Kvelertak's music but I just can't stand that guy's voice. It's a sad state of affairs.

Judas Chongo you might want to cast an eye (ear) over Black Altar sometime

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I think the vocalist is decent, but he certainly could have been better. He's fun to watch live, though I saw Kvelertak (and Haust, Obliteration and Purified in Blood) last Thursday, and it was a really fun show to be drunk at.

As for the guy who wanted recommendations: Carpathian Forest's two first albums have a lot of mid-tempo, dirty, rock'n'rolly black metal. And good atmosphere too.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 13, 2010

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma

Judas Chongo posted:

the first Bathory Demo
Nahvlar s/t
Deathcrush by Mayhem

You might enjoy the 'war metal' sub-sub-genre.

Sarcofago (maybe not strictly war metal but super influential on the style at least):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vcFYZ70iBA

Beherit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRAm9kmA918

Blasphemy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hySMyQFFQgc

There's a whole bunch of this stuff out there but somebody else probably knows way more about it than me.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Just makes me that much more excited about MDF next year.

Hey NC buddy! I'm seriously considering MDF for my first time just to see Hooded Menace, Acid Witch, Aura Noir and Repugnant.

Pleasure to chill posted:

As for the guy who wanted recommendations: Carpathian Forest's two first albums have a lot of mid-tempo, dirty, rock'n'rolly black metal. And good atmosphere too.

I love to put on Carpathian Forest's Black Shining Leather for this very reason. It's one of the the quintessential black 'n roll albums for me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Hey NC buddy! I'm seriously considering MDF for my first time just to see Hooded Menace, Acid Witch, Aura Noir and Repugnant.

I don't know what my situation currently is, but perhaps we could arrange a car pool.

I guess I've got like 6 months to figure it out.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I love to put on Carpathian Forest's Black Shining Leather for this very reason. It's one of the the quintessential black 'n roll albums for me.

Totally. Morbid Fascination of Death has a lot of the punky and rolling black 'n roll elements as well.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

QPZIL posted:

I don't know what my situation currently is, but perhaps we could arrange a car pool.

I guess I've got like 6 months to figure it out.

I live in Cary (can't wait to see Nevermore at Volume 11 tomorrow) and would be interested in joining this carpool if it happens. I'm still kicking myself for not going to MDF this year...what an incredible lineup it was. Gorguts, Watain, Nirvana 2002, The Chasm, Portal, Nazxul, Krallice, and a bunch of other great bands all in one place. Damnit. I saw Watain a couple years ago and it was one of the great memorable shows of my life, so seeing them again would have been a treat. Oh well.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

alpiger posted:

You might enjoy the 'war metal' sub-sub-genre.

'War metal'? Seriously? What the gently caress does that even mean?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Tony Jowns posted:

'War metal'? Seriously? What the gently caress does that even mean?

Normally I'd complain about how you shouldn't make a forum post bitching about a genre you don't recognize (I've seen way too many "lol hurr hurr what da gently caress is speedcore" posts to forgive the apparent inability to Google something), but I totally don't recognize "war metal" and Google gives no help. Count me in with the "what the gently caress is war metal?" crowd.

edit: Is it like Turisas? They self-identify as "battle metal".

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Last.fm's certainly heard of it, there's even a tag for it.

http://www.last.fm/tag/war%20metal

According to them, it's "A bestial combination of Black, Thrash, and Death Metal which is generally extremely raw and unrelenting."

Bestial!

Basically, no matter how obscure or :black101: or :wtc: the musical genre or label is, you can usually type it into Last.fm, and it'll hoark up *something*.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 14, 2010

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I'm all for ridiculously specific categorizing, but that's kind of stupid. What are the thrash elements? Thrash is defined by its contrasts to normal heavy metal, adding it onto things like death metal is a weird step in a totally different direction.

Wait why is it even called "war metal", shouldn't it be called "blackened thrash/death metal" or something :psyduck:

GENERALLY EXTREMELY RAW! RAAAAAAGGH!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

"Bestial" was the buzzword of the British metal rag Zero Tolerance last year. Jesus christ I couldn't read a single article without "bestial rituals", "bestial brutality" and "bestial aggression" popping up in every single sentence of one issue. That magazine is unreadable at the best of times but I didn't even get through most of those articles for the sheer retardation and obsession with that word.

Also, bands calling gigs "rituals". Shoot yourselves in the face. That's the kind of ritual I'd pay to see.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Kaiho posted:

Also, bands calling gigs "rituals". Shoot yourselves in the face. That's the kind of ritual I'd pay to see.

Don't forget this gem from Watain

quote:

Remember that wearing Watain merchandise means showing your support towards a divine form of art that has been and will always be rightfully feared and hated by humanity. It is a sign of loyalty or belonging to the hungry ones, the fearless and feared, the enemies of the world as we know it. Support the War!

What a loving joke this band has become

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma
'War metal' pretty much just means 'Blasphemy and bands that sound like Blasphemy' and it's not that uncommon a term at all, are you guys all really new to metal or something? :confused:

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn

Kaiho posted:

"Bestial" was the buzzword of the British metal rag Zero Tolerance last year. Jesus christ I couldn't read a single article without "bestial rituals", "bestial brutality" and "bestial aggression" popping up in every single sentence of one issue. That magazine is unreadable at the best of times but I didn't even get through most of those articles for the sheer retardation and obsession with that word.

I remember that. Still managed to be more informative and better written than anything in Terrorizer even throughout that phase, though, which I guess is a sign of a low bar

m-o-o-n posted:

Hahaha

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

alpiger posted:

'War metal' pretty much just means 'Blasphemy and bands that sound like Blasphemy' and it's not that uncommon a term at all, are you guys all really new to metal or something? :confused:

:laugh:

Umm, no, we're not.

To me, War Metal is the title of this song, not a ridiculously specific subgenre.

Then again I am totally the wrong person to talk about genres, as I find them irrelevant, unlike Cobweb Heart up there.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

m-o-o-n posted:

Hahaha. Were they actually joking, or being serious?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Cobweb Heart posted:

Hahaha. Were they actually joking, or being serious?

It's Watain.

So, I imagine that they were being serious. Being an enemy of the world is SERIOUS BUSINESS. :colbert:

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Don't forget this amazing Watain quote, from an interview with Invisible Oranges.

quote:

If Watain had unlimited resources, what would you do that you have not done so far?

We would get a stage that was big enough to hold six billion corpses. Then we would arrange six billion human corpses and put them on the stage, and then we would play the last Watain show ever on that stage. And then we would probably go and have a drink at headquarters, and drink to the world’s end.

Er, ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
They're like a real-life Dethklok in intention but not in practice.