Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SteveMcQueen posted:

I'm not totally sure if this is the right thread but here goes.

I'm looking for a PC version of Mac Notepad. Not the built in flip-pad, but the Apimac program (http://www.apimac.com/notepad/). It allows to you to keep a number of notes that you can easily switch between and automatically opened on start up.

I thought about using Evernote but I don't want to clog my evernote up with League of Legend build orders and other nonsense.

Thanks!

Just a thought, but why don't you just use another notebook in Evernote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Just a thought, but why don't you just use another notebook in Evernote?

That's a fantastic idea, I'll just do that. Thanks!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Landerig posted:

I got one that I think fits in this thread:

GIF stuff

Any ideas?
Am I misinterpreting what you mean by 'fullscreen,' or shouldn't IE (or any browser) be able to do what you ask?

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
I installed Windows 7 back when it was new (I got it on the 30 dollar student deal thing). It was an upgrade from Vista to Home Premium 7, but worked as a clean install because I went from x86 to 84 bit.

Last night my computer completely died on me and I need a reinstall of windows, however, I no longer have the actual media for Home Premium (because it was a digital download/install and digital river says I was only allowed to download it for 30 days). I still have my serial number. Is there a way to just get the Windows 7 Home Premium media so I can do a proper install?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

burmart posted:

Is there a way to just get the Windows 7 Home Premium media so I can do a proper install?

Yes, just "find" a copy of the ISO, and check it against the hashes in the OP.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
You can get the isos from here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

They're from digital river.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

4 Day Weekend posted:

They're from digital river.

...and that means they are better than anything found in an analog river.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there a difference between retail and OEM install discs for Windows 7? For instance, if I do a reinstall for someone using one of the ISOs linked above, will it accept the product key that came with their computer? If not, will the "system builder" OEM copies on sites like Newegg work?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

OEM is linked, by serial, to a motherboard.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SRQ posted:

OEM is linked, by serial, to a motherboard.

So ... to repeat my question, will a retail disk + OEM key work properly on the computer that the key is originally from?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Toast Museum posted:

So ... to repeat my question, will a retail disk + OEM key work properly on the computer that the key is originally from?

If it dosen't, you may be able to call and talk to some bored person who will just give you another code. I know I've had that happen with various licence issues.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Aunt Beth posted:

Am I misinterpreting what you mean by 'fullscreen,' or shouldn't IE (or any browser) be able to do what you ask?

Actually I think even in kiosk mode, there's still a little bar at the top, which would ruin the effect, but I have a solution, now I just need to implement it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Landerig posted:

Actually I think even in kiosk mode, there's still a little bar at the top, which would ruin the effect, but I have a solution, now I just need to implement it.

Set it to autohide the toolbar.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Sniep posted:

Lumb, i've also had problems recently with sleep in windows 7, my netbook used to sleep happy as a baby but now every time i close the lid it blue screens.

Nothing's changed other than windows updates as far as I know, but if anyone else has similar experience I'd love to hear it.

No problems on my end, but I've been following the pre-SP1 Windows 7 hotfixes and there's about a half-dozen different fixes for various elements of sleep and hibernation, including multiple crashes. You should see some relief after SP1.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Xotl posted:

No problems on my end, but I've been following the pre-SP1 Windows 7 hotfixes and there's about a half-dozen different fixes for various elements of sleep and hibernation, including multiple crashes. You should see some relief after SP1.

Well, my system did just get hit with the gigantic windows update which just launched with a dozen or so general nondescript "security" patches. Maybe one of them was to address it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

General Emergency posted:

You can dual boot but just remember to install it on a partition without files from previous Windows versions. If you install it on a partition on which you have Windows installed or a "Program Files" -folder on it it'll move those files over to a folder called "Windows.old"

I apologize for the seemingly stupid question, but I just want to be sure:

The procedure to dual-booting both Win 7 and XP is as simple as putting the Windows 7 DVD in, clicking Install and selecting an empty partition? (This is the full version of Win 7, not an "Win 7 upgrade" version)

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002
Is there a way to tell Windows/app installers to stop extracting their temporary files to my external drive? I don't know why it picks that one drive all the time, but I imagine it's just making installations slower. There aren't any applications that run off that drive, nor does the operating system.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

Is there a way to tell Windows/app installers to stop extracting their temporary files to my external drive? I don't know why it picks that one drive all the time, but I imagine it's just making installations slower. There aren't any applications that run off that drive, nor does the operating system.

Change where your %temp% and %tmp% variables are pointed. That is generally where installers use scratch space to deflate.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Change where your %temp% and %tmp% variables are pointed. That is generally where installers use scratch space to deflate.

These both already point to my OS drive. None of the other environment variables point to the external drive either.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The procedure to dual-booting both Win 7 and XP is as simple as putting the Windows 7 DVD in, clicking Install and selecting an empty partition? (This is the full version of Win 7, not an "Win 7 upgrade" version)

yeah. I seem to remember there being a fuss at one point over which you should install first but I can't see why. the 7 installer should be able to shrink a partition just fine.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's not quite that easy, or at least it wasn't for me; if you only do that, it'll just load the W7 partition and ignore the XP one. Once you've installed 7, you can use EasyBCD to make a boot loader that lets you pick which one you want to run.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know a workaround for the pixelation of backgrounds set through the Personalise menus?
I'm just trying to set the photos in the root of my Pictures folder as a background slideshow, but they show up as pixelated even though they're 2500+ resolution.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Grillo posted:

Does anyone know a workaround for the pixelation of backgrounds set through the Personalise menus?
I'm just trying to set the photos in the root of my Pictures folder as a background slideshow, but they show up as pixelated even though they're 2500+ resolution.

You're having them resized downwards, so there's gonna be artifacts from the resizing.

You could try manually resizing copies of them in say Photoshop or Paint.Net to get cleaner resizing with less artifacts.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
I have Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade on DVD, and I just bought Win 7 Professional Upgrade from the Digital river thing which has been downloaded to my old HDD. Now I'm building a new system and that is where the Win 7 Pro is going.

Can I use my Win 7 Home Premium media to install Win 7 Pro, using the Key in got from DigitalRiver, and will it install Pro properly or download the additional features from the net or how would it work if it worked?

I dont have a DVD-R disk in the house, or a USB Drive with 4GB, so looking to save a trip and a few bucks.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tequila Ranger posted:

I have Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade on DVD, and I just bought Win 7 Professional Upgrade from the Digital river thing which has been downloaded to my old HDD. Now I'm building a new system and that is where the Win 7 Pro is going.

Can I use my Win 7 Home Premium media to install Win 7 Pro, using the Key in got from DigitalRiver, and will it install Pro properly or download the additional features from the net or how would it work if it worked?

I dont have a DVD-R disk in the house, or a USB Drive with 4GB, so looking to save a trip and a few bucks.

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to bite the bullet and get a DVD-R. You can avoid downloading the ISO, though. Make an ISO of the upgrade disc you've got and run the eicfg removal tool on it, then burn the ISO. You should be able to use the resulting disc to install Professional or whatever version you want.

GBonicus
Jul 11, 2001

My name is Sue! How do you do? Now you're gonna die!!

Protagonist posted:

Can someone recommend someplace where I can purchase a Windows 7 Home Premium full version key and download online?

Briefly my circumstances are that I have a pc currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, but it was upgraded from the release candidate when it all just came out.

I have done things that are generally a 'bad idea' with Windows and want to get to fresh ground. Basically I replaced a whole lot of hardware (all of it), didn't un-install any drivers or anything and just let Windows figure it out. It actually did very well at first, but now system stability is almost nill.

So now I want to get to fresh Win 7 home premium 64 and be legit about it. I also like instant gratification and want it today.

The Microsoft Store will let you purchase and download it right away without having to worry about activating it in 30 days.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there any good deals right now, like Digital River had when it first came out? I'm on a student budget and my college isn't part of the MSDNAA unfortunately

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dickeye posted:

Are there any good deals right now, like Digital River had when it first came out? I'm on a student budget and my college isn't part of the MSDNAA unfortunately

Windows 7 Professional for $65 at theultimatesteal.com. Technically it's an upgrade copy, but you can just "upgrade" it from a clean install of itself. Install it without providing the product key and with "automatically activate" unchecked, then run the installer again from within Windows and install as an upgrade, providing the product key when it asks.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Is there a way to fix this? I do have an internet connection, but when I don't (once a month), I'd like to know without having to check out my applications.

I have disabled/removed any unneeded network, my drivers are updated, I disabled any unwanted adapters (Hamachi etc.).

edit: To make things clear, in the screenshow below I do have working internet, but Windows claims I'm not even connected to any network.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 31, 2010

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there some way I can find updates to drivers that no longer work with the discs I had, back when my computer had its old hardware? I upgraded XP with Windows 7 and despite things working better than before, the computer bitches at it being slow and error prone, with no explanations for it.
Would I have to order new discs for it?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Grawl posted:

Is there a way to fix this? I do have an internet connection, but when I don't (once a month), I'd like to know without having to check out my applications.

I have disabled/removed any unneeded network, my drivers are updated, I disabled any unwanted adapters (Hamachi etc.).

edit: To make things clear, in the screenshow below I do have working internet, but Windows claims I'm not even connected to any network.

Can you right-click on the icon and just tell it to turn off notifications? If that doesn't do it go in to the start bar propeties and under the tab notification area you can customize what is shown in the tray. You can set that icon to always be hidden by default.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Can you right-click on the icon and just tell it to turn off notifications? If that doesn't do it go in to the start bar propeties and under the tab notification area you can customize what is shown in the tray. You can set that icon to always be hidden by default.

I think he's complaining about the fact that the icon is wrong, not that it's there. In the shot, Windows knows he has an internet connection, but the tray icon says he doesn't. He wants it to be right so he doesn't have to go into network connections to verify.

I have no idea about how to fix it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

kapinga posted:

I think he's complaining about the fact that the icon is wrong, not that it's there. In the shot, Windows knows he has an internet connection, but the tray icon says he doesn't. He wants it to be right so he doesn't have to go into network connections to verify.

I have no idea about how to fix it.

I know, but I have no ideas how to address it because he's already tried all the things I would suggest. So the next best thing is a workaround.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My old UPS died so I bought a new one. I went with an APC because I've had two cyberpower ones die on me this year. I actually bothered to connect the USB cable from the UPS to my computer this time, and lo and behold, Windows 7 automatically detected and is now managing it through the power management menu. That's pretty drat cool and I was already crazy in love with this OS.

Is there any reason for me to bother installing APC's software anyway, or can I trust the power management panel to shut the computer off when it hits battery power?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as you have power settings set for when on battery power and your computer knows how long the battery charge will last, you should be fine. I never installed the software in Windows 7 and it worked just fine, it saw that the battery would last two minutes.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

^^^
APC software has a few settings for when it will switch to battery, AVR options and a battery check. Not all that necessary, mine is connected to my WHS with a plugin that will shut down my desktop with a script then shut itself down when the battery gets critical.

As for a Win 7 question.

I can't keep the monitors properly set, messing up WIN+P, my LCD monitor always goes to monitor 2 (projector in win+p) and my HDTV goes to monitor 1(pc monitor in win+p).

I've got a radeon 4850 with the HDTV connected via HDMI with the HDMI adapter and DVI to the LCD. Tryed removing the TV, rebooting and adding the TV back and switching ports. The LCD will get reset to monitor 2 every time.

Belligerent Monk
Jul 29, 2006
I wanted to post this question in a megathread and this seemed like the most fitting so here it goes:

Can anyone recommend me a free antivirus program to replace this awful piece of poo poo Trend Micro? I've had this on my computer for about a month and I can't take it anymore. Thanks. :)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Belligerent Monk posted:

I wanted to post this question in a megathread and this seemed like the most fitting so here it goes:

Can anyone recommend me a free antivirus program to replace this awful piece of poo poo Trend Micro? I've had this on my computer for about a month and I can't take it anymore. Thanks. :)

Microsoft Security Essentials

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Belligerent Monk posted:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
How does the Sound recorder accessory not pick up any sound even with a working microphone attached?

I found a brand new decent microphone that I guess got thrown away because the previous owner couldn't get it out of the package or something. :rolleyes:

Computer detects it. Enabling "listening to this device" makes my voice come through the speakers, so the microphone works fine, but the drat sound recorder accessory picks up nothing, has no configuration options, and doesn't do poo poo.

And I mean doesn't do poo poo. Only saves as WMA, XP and earlier could save to WAV, MP3, and you could futz with codec options to make Wav's encoded in MP3 if you wanted to.

Is SNDREC32 buried somewhere in my install by any chance?