Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Devyl posted:

Back on topic... I was wondering why my idler pulley was making a squealing sound. I think I figured out why now:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

This is my old car:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Wombot posted:

"Oh, that truck must have broken down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_f2kLzcVWI

"Well, it's definitely broken. And down."

Saw that last night. Immediately thought of you, AI :3:

"Damnitson, don't slide your tandems here!" :xd:

And poo poo like that is why I pull the loving Johnson bar/spike/trolley bar every time after getting out of the truck and back in.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hmmm, there's something not quite right about this photo...

Hey, maybe this video will explain it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMN_ydMcvvo

Ah, all is revealed.

The bike. What the builder has said happened:

quote:

Ok so here's what happened. Lack of oil pressure due to the scotts reusable oil filter trying to suck itself inside out. I did an oil change the night before the & found a little bit of poo poo in the filter when I opened it up. Said the famous last words "She'll be right",as I was planing to pull the motor down after the dyno day anyway, to replace a worn output shaft.
I rode to the Explosive Racing (fitting) Dyno day (45min ride) & all seemed nice & smooth so I thought I'll stick it on the dyno & see how we go.
Did a few pulls & it was down on power, on the last one after taking longer than usual to rev out it went pop......& the fireball ensued. The vid that CC posted is the cut down version, hopefully they'll post the full version soon.
Anyway pulled the motor down today & this is what I found.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Explosive Racing indeed :rimshot:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Looks like one of the bearings is still ok, just slap it back together and smear some JB weld over the holes, it'll be fine.

I've also got one of those engines sitting in my garage :3:

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
No photos, but...
A friend of mine just purchased a 2010 Hyundai Elantra on Sunday. The oil light came on yesterday and then today on the way to the dealership to find out why, the CEL came on. Apparently there was metal shavings and what not in the oil pan. The engine was already shot so they gave them a new one.

126 miles and it dies.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
While it sounds like it might not have helped in this case I'll bet the manual would have told your friend to stop driving immediately as soon as the oil pressure light came on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, I was driving along my merry way today, when upon shifting into second gear and applying throttle, I heard the most horrendous grinding noise coming from my transmission. Engine sounds fine in neutral, so I suspect my tranny may have poo poo the bed. Holding out hope that it's just a bad clutch, but I have a sinking feeling that my car may belong in this thread soon. :smithicide:

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
That's all good dude, its grind it to you find it!

You just made a new gear between first and second!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Looks like one of the bearings is still ok, just slap it back together and smear some JB weld over the holes, it'll be fine.

I've also got one of those engines sitting in my garage :3:

You figure if it was down on power you would be concerned and wouldn't want to push it.

I feel like this could have been prevented

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

dissss posted:

While it sounds like it might not have helped in this case I'll bet the manual would have told your friend to stop driving immediately as soon as the oil pressure light came on.

Well, she just got it a few days before. Brand new with 2 miles and she's 2 month pregnant so she had some doctor appointments.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cop posted:

Well, she just got it a few days before. Brand new with 2 miles and she's 2 month pregnant so she had some doctor appointments.

Yeah, if the car lost oil pressure straight from the factory something was broken already. Good thing Hyundai/Kia cars come with that warranty, everyone that I know that owns one has needed it for major mechanical failures.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cop posted:

While that does suck none of it makes driving with no oil pressure a smart idea. It could have died in an extremely dangerous place.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

this happened to us last weekend:

car ended up parked on this berm:

and we had video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHx2-pvqtfg

Basically the extra load put on the upright from our ball joint extenders caused the upright to crack and the ball joint to come out, in the middle of a 120mph corner.

Could have been a lot worse.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cop posted:

But you said 124 miles in the earlier post. She drove 124 miles with the oil pressure light on?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

jamal posted:

I like the surprised "We're still recording :D"

Dexter Stratton
May 25, 2007

jamal posted:

That's some really awesome video.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Well, I was driving along my merry way today, when upon shifting into second gear and applying throttle, I heard the most horrendous grinding noise coming from my transmission. Engine sounds fine in neutral, so I suspect my tranny may have poo poo the bed. Holding out hope that it's just a bad clutch, but I have a sinking feeling that my car may belong in this thread soon. :smithicide:

Without any knowledge of your car my first reaction would be clutch hydraulics / linkage failure.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The car's a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. I believe it has a mechanical clutch. The thing is, it seemed to be actuating the clutch just fine; I had no problems getting into gear. Once in gear, though, it wouldn't hold any power above idle.

I got it towed to the nearby dealership where some of my class buddies work, they should be removing the transmission about now to see what's going on.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

EightBit posted:

Yeah, if the car lost oil pressure straight from the factory something was broken already. Good thing Hyundai/Kia cars come with that warranty, everyone that I know that owns one has needed it for major mechanical failures.

2500 miles and no mechanical failures that weren't as the factory intended. :colbert:

The wail from the power steering pump that's louder than the engine? That's normal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

oxbrain posted:

2500 miles and no mechanical failures that weren't as the factory intended. :colbert:

The wail from the power steering pump that's louder than the engine? That's normal.

It is for my ford. :colbert:

I should hitting 123456 mi very soon

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It is for my ford. :colbert:

I should hitting 123456 mi very soon

Well yeah. The Ford PS pump loves to serenade. Edging towards 300000km on our ford. It only costs an average of $100 / month in maintenance too. I've put 2000km on it in the last 4 months. The whole car is a mechanical failure.

Have I posted my gallery of loose VW type4 valve seats in here yet? t

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Fucknag posted:

The car's a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. I believe it has a mechanical clutch. The thing is, it seemed to be actuating the clutch just fine; I had no problems getting into gear. Once in gear, though, it wouldn't hold any power above idle.

I got it towed to the nearby dealership where some of my class buddies work, they should be removing the transmission about now to see what's going on.

Mechanical clutch.... linkage? I'm pretty sure its hydraulic.
Also, as I recall, the G series in the third gen proteges was known for having a few problems. Back in the day, I knew a few MP3 drivers that had tranny problems.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
My sr powered corolla waste gate fail at full throttle. Oops!

You could see through the block, pretty exciting at speed

boosted ws6.
oops, found the line!

not a good place for metal

largest part of piston 3 found in the intake!?!

piston 6

Gotta crack some eggs to make an omelet!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

yeah but in this case those eggs aren't gonna be used in that omelet any more

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

bird cooch posted:

largest part of piston 3 found in the intake!?!

I posted my Chevy 283 that dropped a valve earlier in this thread that looks just about the same and I found pieces of the rings in all the other cylinders :psyduck: It keeps me awake at night trying to figure that one out. It was the exhaust valve that dropped and the intake valve was mashed into the head SO HOW DID THEY GET THERE.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

bird cooch posted:

not a good place for metal

I love this thread so much.

Also you have my condolences, bird cooch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bird cooch posted:

Good lord.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

scapulataf posted:

I knew a few MP3 drivers that had tranny problems.

Diff problems.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

SO HOW DID THEY GET THERE.

Thats the best part of popping a motor, "Im missing a rod, is there a hole in the oil pan or did the crank just chew it up?"

"valve? no..yes?"

The worst part of blowing the corolla was dealing with the crowd at the event.

Some punk kid in a monster energy drink hat walking by "That happens to the 4ag when you boost it, haha. old crap anyways" and so on and so forth.
As im under the hood of a car that has more fabricated/swapped/bled on than many factory backed cars. With a motor from 1998 that came in a Nissan on the other side of the world that looks nothing like a 4ag in any way, shape or form.

I have been playing with performance cars and doing everything my self long enough that im old hat as far as things going wrong. But what I can never understand is the clueless gawkers trying to give me advice as I try and soak up my cars life blood slowly spreading across the paddock.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, am I looking at that right? The detonation was so bad the flame front travelled up the intake valve and scorched the throttle body?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, am I looking at that right? The detonation was so bad the flame front travelled up the intake valve and scorched the throttle body?

Thats oil mostly, the plastic intake manifold was destroyed. a couple of valves and such went through the turbo, grenaded it and threw goodies into the manifold. Including that chunk of piston shown in my hand.

The intake valley had a hole in it the size of a grapefruit just for fun too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

Basically the extra load put on the upright from our ball joint extenders caused the upright to crack and the ball joint to come out, in the middle of a 120mph corner.

Could have been a lot worse.
Yeah, that was a pretty light off you had, considering.

I had to Google the ball joint extenders and, yep, they are what I thought they were. Makes me cringe a bit. Doesn't anyone sell a custom front upright assembly to correct the geometry instead?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty light off you had, considering.

I had to Google the ball joint extenders and, yep, they are what I thought they were. Makes me cringe a bit. Doesn't anyone sell a custom front upright assembly to correct the geometry instead?

Yup, they are $$$$. Billet aluminum uprights. Nice pieces if you got the cash.

http://www.mooresport.com/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah for the 2k the msi parts cost I'd rather design and have them made myself. I can incorporate the right mounting for our stoptechs among some other things. I'd also do a set of custom control arms to go along with them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

yeah for the 2k the msi parts cost I'd rather design and have them made myself. I can incorporate the right mounting for our stoptechs among some other things. I'd also do a set of custom control arms to go along with them.
If you know a couple of people who want a set themselves, you're not far off just buying an old CNC milling machine and having at it.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

bird cooch posted:

Thats oil mostly, the plastic intake manifold was destroyed. a couple of valves and such went through the turbo, grenaded it and threw goodies into the manifold. Including that chunk of piston shown in my hand.

The intake valley had a hole in it the size of a grapefruit just for fun too.

Well, if you're going to blow the engine you might as well do it as spectacularly as possible.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
The damage to my motor isn't nearly as bad as the catastrophic wreck my heart became when I saw this. However I couldn't post a picture of that so here's some mild carnage.

Tappet adjuster nut is on the loose somewhere in my engine.

top one is not damaged.
the one on the right is fine.
the one on the right is for comparison.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 16, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The damage to my motor isn't nearly as bad as the catastrophic wreck my heart became when I saw this. However I couldn't post a picture of that so here's some mild carnage.

Tappet adjuster nut is on the loose somewhere in my engine.

top one is not damaged.
the one on the right is fine.
the one on the right is for comparison.

What engine is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

What engine is that?

Guessing a bike of some sort judging by the '750' on the valve cover and the rubber connecting bits to the head.