Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Cobweb Heart posted:

Hahaha. Were they actually joking, or being serious?

Let's not forget, this is the band that sicced their private security on some dude from D.R.I. during Deathfest for the crime of interrupting the INVOCATION OF THE BLASPHEMOUS WATAIN RITUAL by dancing a jig on the side of the stage.

As far as "war metal" goes, I've heard the term thrown around a lot in refrence to blackened thrash/thrashened black that has a bit more grittiness or lo-fi aspect to it-- Bestial Warlust, Blasphemophager, Diocletian, stuff like that. Of course, war-themed metal gets thrown in there too, like Hail of Bullets, as well as metal by guys that are at war, like Cobalt. So who knows.

And hey, as long as we're getting rid of the term "rituals," can "horde" leave along with it? I'm sick of seeing some press release that reads like "The blasphemous RAPED BY THE ARCHGOAT horde returns with 10 tracks of pure bestial hatred! "Inverting the Ritualistic oval office" will be out March 12, 2011 on Aryan Blood records."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Don't forget this amazing Watain quote, from an interview with Invisible Oranges.

This reminds me of Xasthur's interviews since they're both trying so hard to be kvlt and only making themselves look progressively more stupid.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Deathspell Omega has released a new song from their upcoming album 'Paracletus'.

http://season-of-mist.com/news/deathspell-omega-2010-10-14

It sounds a lot like their previous full-length 'Fas' but a bit more dynamic. I like it.

BiG TrUcKs !!! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 14, 2010

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

My passing indifference towards Absu has transformed into a near obsession since I listened to Tara for the first time last week. What an album.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Monkeytime posted:

And hey, as long as we're getting rid of the term "rituals," can "horde" leave along with it? I'm sick of seeing some press release that reads like "The blasphemous RAPED BY THE ARCHGOAT horde returns with 10 tracks of pure bestial hatred! "Inverting the Ritualistic oval office" will be out March 12, 2011 on Aryan Blood records."

YES

And by yes I mean hahahaha that is amazing as a parody of so much of that bullshit. Thank you.

In the same vein, black metal audiences as "the horde". "The horde of Moongoat fans around the world can expect ritualistic blasphemy at our rituals throughout their midst this coming spring! Moongoat will bring the inverted necrocross to the hordes!"

Aezith posted:

This reminds me of Xasthur's interviews since they're both trying so hard to be kvlt and only making themselves look progressively more stupid.

That thing on Invisible Oranges about Xasthur's official video touched me though. I thought it was good even if the song was kinda mediocre.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

aliencowboy posted:

My passing indifference towards Absu has transformed into a near obsession since I listened to Tara for the first time last week. What an album.

I know, right? The drumming is INSANE, and it's just pure black-thrash goodness. One of my all time favorites, doesn't get much better. Try to get ahold of the remaster, it sounds a lot better than the original master.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
My post was a sorta rhetorical reference to the fact that War Metal isn't a genre and is just what idiots call metal with lyrics about war whether it's Sabaton, Bolt Thrower, Beherit or any other band which sounds nothing like any other "war metal" band, but it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who considers unironic use of the term as if it means anything scoff-worthy.

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma
Beherit have lyrics about war? :confused:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

alpiger posted:

alpiger posted:

You might enjoy the 'war metal' sub-sub-genre.

Beherit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRAm9kmA918

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma
Not sure what you're getting at dude, 'war metal' is a musical category, not a lyrical one. Not sure why dudes are getting so worked up about a shorthand term for "bands that sound like Blasphemy."

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

alpiger posted:

Not sure what you're getting at dude, 'war metal' is a musical category, not a lyrical one. Not sure why dudes are getting so worked up about a shorthand term for "bands that sound like Blasphemy."

http://www.last.fm/tag/war%20metal

yep, sure are a lot of bands who sound like blasphemy there. sabaton? totally influenced by blasphemy dude. those hail of bullets guys just rip blasphemy off a bit much for my tastes though.

(what i am saying is that you might use the term like that but barely anyone else does and it's a basically useless term)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

alpiger posted:

Black metal bands have understandable lyrics?

I really don't get this argument.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Like I said, I'm all for stupidly specific sub-sub-sub-genres, but "war metal" just doesn't make sense to me. On the rare occasions I can find references to it, they're always contradictory to the other definitions.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Depends on the circles you keep I guess.

I've never heard it used except to refer to Blasphemy/Ross Bay Cult soundalikes, Axis of Advance, Conqueror, Revenge etc; and black/death like Bestial Warlust (where'd you think "bestial black metal" comes from?). Image as much as sound ties the bands together as well.

The term started being used in the early 90s to describe Blasphemy, Bestial Warlust and Goatpenis. I wouldn't really consider it any more a true genre than say, NSBM, or even depressive black metal, but that doesn't mean it isn't identifiable and have typical hallmarks associated with it.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 15, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Edit: Was going to link some good UGBM blogs, but I think it might be frowned upon. Is it okay to mention the name of the blogs, without any links to them?

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 15, 2010

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

IRQ posted:

Black metal bands have understandable lyrics?

I really don't get this argument.

Yes they do, unless it's the whole washed-out-with-static kind of howling.

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma

Tony Jowns posted:

http://www.last.fm/tag/war%20metal

yep, sure are a lot of bands who sound like blasphemy there. sabaton? totally influenced by blasphemy dude. those hail of bullets guys just rip blasphemy off a bit much for my tastes though.

(what i am saying is that you might use the term like that but barely anyone else does and it's a basically useless term)

http://www.last.fm/tag/emo

http://www.last.fm/tag/techno

Last.fm tags aren't really evidence of anything other than how a bunch of know-nothings use the term. It's plenty used in various places.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

alpiger posted:

http://www.last.fm/tag/emo

http://www.last.fm/tag/techno

Last.fm tags aren't really evidence of anything other than how a bunch of know-nothings use the term. It's plenty used in various places.

Okay, but when you look at subgenres of metal which actually exist there's an obvious coherence and musical similarities, even on last.fm. There's no consensus, on the other hand, on what 'war metal' means and by the time you finish saying to someone "no I'm not talking about Sabaton/Bolt Thrower/Hail of Bullets/any other band with war-related lyrical themes" you may as well have just said "bands that sound like Blasphemy", especially since you're just one of very, very few people (not the only but close to) that I've seen using the term like that - most people would just come to the conclusion that you're talking about lyrics.

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma
Well Gr31lly was familiar with it and I'm sure MrBling and probably m-o-o-n are too so I guess sorry for the assumption that anyone here but those guys knows dick about anything, what was I thinking

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kaiho posted:

Yes they do, unless it's the whole washed-out-with-static kind of howling.

I was exaggerating, but it is pretty rare that enough is easily understandable enough for me to get what the lyrics are about beyond a very general idea. Of course maybe I just haven't listened to enough NSBM to find a song with this effect:

Cobweb Heart posted:

I usually just try to ignore whatever racist viewpoints people put in music and try to appreciate the sound of the music itself. Unfortunately, this once ended with me getting a Pluton Svea song stuck in my head. :ughh: All day long, over and over again: friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family! DON'T STAY OUT TOO LATE! AS LONG AS THERE IS NIGGERS THERE IS HATE!

Thats so Mandrill!
Sep 23, 2010

by T. Finn
This is old stuff I made

hope you like it...if not...
(vid is not important,,,though there should have been more space pics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNp8R87hHF8

IRQ posted:

I was exaggerating, but it is pretty rare that enough is easily understandable enough for me to get what the lyrics are about beyond a very general idea. Of course maybe I just haven't listened to enough NSBM to find a song with this effect:

SHORT HAIR IN SIGHT....NO WORDS NEEDED TO START A FIGHT!!!

Thats so Mandrill! fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 15, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Thats so Mandrill! posted:

This is old stuff I made

hope you like it...if not...
(vid is not important,,,though there should have been more space pics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNp8R87hHF8

You have my support.

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

SinetheGuy posted:

Anyway, I personally recommend revisiting Transylvanian Hunger at some point. I felt the same way about it for a while, but that opening melody starting to creep into my head. I'm pretty into it now.

I listened to it again the other night for the first time in like 2 months, and yeah I think I get it now once that opening track pulls you in it owns.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

IRQ posted:

Of course maybe I just haven't listened to enough NSBM to find a song with this effect:

To be honest, I haven't either. Pluton Svea is a rock band and the only thing that makes them hard to understand is the singer's accent. I swear it's the melody that's catchy, not the lyrics. :cry:

alpiger posted:

"bands that sound like Blasphemy."

How would you describe the genre to a person who hasn't heard Blasphemy?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Cobweb Heart posted:

How would you describe the genre to a person who hasn't heard Blasphemy?

Keep yelling YABSSOR YABSSOR YABSSOR at their face, they'll eventually get it

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

quote:

Blasphemy are a black/death metal band formed in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada in 1984.

Current line-up

Nocturnal Grave Desecrator and Black Winds – Vocals
Caller of the Storms – Guitars
Deathlord of Abomination and War Apocalypse – Guitars
Three Black Hearts of Damnation and Impurity – Drums
:ughh:

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
gently caress, and I thought that Necrobutcher sounded cheesy.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

NATO posted:

:ughh:

I'd love for them to get a replacement that just goes by 'Steve'.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
I don't read this thread often but I've never seen anyone talking about Woe. I'm just listening to their new album Quietly, Undramatically and it's really good. Not sure how it stacks up to A Spell for the Death of Man just yet.

Also anyone who's into the heavily melodic stuff like Lantlos should probably check out Deafheaven.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I wish I could change my name to "Deathlord of Abomination and War Apocalypse".

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

I'd love for them to get a replacement that just goes by 'Steve'.

Trollech once had the following line-up:

Azura Godwar Gorgon's Ray
Lord Morbivod
Johannes

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

bleedbackwards posted:

Also anyone who's into the heavily melodic stuff like Lantlos should probably check out Deafheaven.

This isn't Black Metal. The second song is acoustic and it's called "Bedrooms". I'm really disappointed if this is becoming people's perceptions of Black Metal in America, because earlier today I came across a band named "Moonlite Wake" from the USA who label themselves as, among other things, "Atmospheric Black Metal" and they just are not. It's going to be really sad to witness coming Indie / Shoegazer projects from the USA trying to pass as Black Metal, if that is the new trend.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 17, 2010

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Would you agree that Liturgy falls under the above category? The band bugs me quite a bit. The band members discuss the music sounds like they are being extremely ironic, and the music just sounds like post rock with tremelo picking and blast beats.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Cobweb Heart posted:

I wish I could change my name to "Deathlord of Abomination and War Apocalypse".

:nyd:

'No, I am not Miss Nocturnal Grave Desecrator and Blasphemer of Holy Things, I am Ms. Nocturnal Grave Desecrator and Blasphemer of Holy Things. Please remember that.'

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Plasma1010 posted:

This isn't Black Metal. The second song is acoustic and it's called "Bedrooms". I'm really disappointed if this is becoming people's perceptions of Black Metal in America, because earlier today I came across a band named "Moonlite Wake" from the USA who label themselves as, among other things, "Atmospheric Black Metal" and they just are not. It's going to be really sad to witness coming Indie / Shoegazer projects from the USA trying to pass as part Black Metal, if that is the new trend.

Are you serious? The idea that a black metal band can't have a song called "Bedrooms" is pretty close-minded. Sure it's not black metal in the way that Mayhem is, but I'd say the bulk of the music is black metal. Give it a qualifier like "atmospheric" or "indie shoegaze" if it makes you feel better to separate the hipsters from the corpsepainted standard-bearers, but at the end of the day it's still more black metal than anything else, at least from a musical standpoint - even if it doesn't share all of the same aesthetic and philosophical values.

Yes, black metal is being integrated into slightly more accessible forms of music. The same thing happened with death metal a few years ago. I promise you'll live. The people who get into these kinds of bands and think "Wow this black metal stuff is pretty cool" are not the kind of people who would have gotten into traditional black metal anyway.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Or do you subscribe to the idea that Black metal is a lyrical concept (about Satan) which would rule out a whole slew of black metal bands (Immortal) out?

Sure, the acoustic track is not trad black metal, and neither are the chord choices, but IMO this stuff fits quite well into the vein coming out of California at the moment - Petrychor, Fauna, that sort of stuff. Sure, they take in post-rock and shoegaze elements and don't fall strictly into the black metal orthodoxy in their song structures, but in my opinion that's all for the better.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

bleedbackwards posted:

Are you serious? The idea that a black metal band can't have a song called "Bedrooms" is pretty close-minded.

Yes, black metal is being integrated into slightly more accessible forms of music. The same thing happened with death metal a few years ago. I promise you'll live. The people who get into these kinds of bands and think "Wow this black metal stuff is pretty cool" are not the kind of people who would have gotten into traditional black metal anyway.

Yes I am completely serious. Except for some minor examples, Black Metal tends to pride itself on its disassociation with other Genre's. And why should it not ? Black Metal is very closed minded, which is why an acoustic song named "Bedrooms" is simply not Black Metal.

This art form known as "Black Metal" is not being integrated into more accessible forms of music, however other Bands / Projects (like this "Deafheaven" project, which I am not bashing in any way shape or form, just simply pointing out that it is not Black Metal) that have the common American Screamo / Hardcore / Indie sound and un-intelligible vocals, seem to enjoy tacking on the "Black Metal" label at the end of their projects. Whether this is because Black Metal is now a little more accessible to the public (via Peter Beste Photography / Documentaries / Brooklyn - NYC Symposiums, etc.) and Bands / Projects wish to tap into the fan base, or they have a mis-perception of what the sounds-atmosphere is to create Black Metal, I can assure you that Bands like Deafheaven are not Black Metal.

bleedbackwards posted:

I don't read this thread often

I am not bashing in any way this type of music that wants to have, if anything, a very distant influence or label of "Black Metal" attached to it, but I am simply not going to accept it as Black Metal.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 16, 2010

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Has anyone else heard Thy Catafalque? They're a hungarian avant-garde black metal band who blend electronica and black metal unlike anything I've heard berore. I can't recommend enough their last 2 albums. 2004 and 2009 are the respective release years for those albums, the album titles are way too hosed up, so I went with the years.

Also, for those who like long songs, they have a song on each album spanning 18+ minutes and they both rule.

If anyone checks them out lemme know what you think!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I've got their 2009 release lying around but I'm not sure I've ever listened to it before. So far I am getting kind of a Samael/Ewigkeit vibe. I like it, will have to check out the older one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Irony.or.Death posted:

I've got their 2009 release lying around but I'm not sure I've ever listened to it before. So far I am getting kind of a Samael/Ewigkeit vibe. I like it, will have to check out the older one too.

Nice, hope you enjoy it. They do wonderful clean vocals, both male and female. And I find myself having some jibberish stuck in my head that I don't know what it means, ex: 3rd song on 2009 album.