Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yakattak posted:

Does anyone actually eat the muffin like Elaine describes? The whole pop the top, toss the stump?

I would if a store like Top of the Muffin to You! existed where I live and indeed made the whole muffin and removed the stumps. As it is I think it is a tad wasteful but there is no denying the superiority of the muffin top to the rest of the muffin.

Also I agree that season 4 is a good place to start. I think it'd be difficult not to get hooked off of that season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd be more excited about the stump if peeling the cupcake wrapper off didn't always reduce it to a pile of massive crumbs.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd be more excited about the stump if peeling the cupcake wrapper off didn't always reduce it to a pile of massive crumbs.

God yes, I hate that. Or when it pulls half the muffin with it.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Yakattak posted:

Does anyone actually eat the muffin like Elaine describes? The whole pop the top, toss the stump?

I'm too concerned about waste to actually do this, either, but Jesus even the INSIDES of the top of the muffin are better than the muffin bottoms entirely.

I suppose we could just donate the bottoms to the food pantry, but...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I generally rip the muffin into two pieces, eat the inferior bottom first, then eat the delicious top. I'm not sure if I do this because of Seinfeld, but I'd be shocked if I didn't.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Can'tstantya!

my local fox station plays the wide screen versions but not in HD :argh:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think starting with season 4 would be a mistake, you'd miss a lot of the meta humor involved with the NBC plotline. I'd say start with season 2, so many classic episodes (The Jacket, The Revenge, The Chinese Restaurant)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

dxt posted:

Can'tstantya!

my local fox station plays the wide screen versions but not in HD :argh:
There are no HD Seinfeld masters, unless you count the CYE episode for some reason. The ones that appear to be higher res are actually just vertically letterboxed, which means they're in fact worse than the original broadcasts because you lose significant visual data.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

hall n oates mom posted:

There are no HD Seinfeld masters, unless you count the CYE episode for some reason. The ones that appear to be higher res are actually just vertically letterboxed, which means they're in fact worse than the original broadcasts because you lose significant visual data.

The HD versions do actually have extra visual data on the sides, just not enough to make a full 16:9, so they cut a bit off the top and bottom to make the ratio. But it's not much, and you get a bit of extra picture on the sides.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

hall n oates mom posted:

Yeah but the widescreen remastered episodes that are broadcast in HD look pretty great; Better than the DVDs and way better than the versions my local Fox station plays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-TqEFYcfM

And as was already said, there is extra data added to the sides.

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Here's some comparison shots I made years ago to demonstrate the difference between the 4:3 and 16:9 versions:

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Ok, I watched some episodes from the fourth season and although I don't know much about the show, I was sold on the scene with Jerry and George in the back of the cop car in LA and George started pondering aloud about the reason why sirens might have changed. The cops showing such dismay that they haven't shot anyone made me lose it.

Would I be right in thinking that a million things now considered cliché in comedy were born as fresh ideas on this show?

e: Also, jumping for joy because the serial killer struck again, loving lmao.

spe fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 11, 2010

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sash! posted:

They start piling up zeroes and its dumb as it looks. Four aught (0000 gauge) wire is like half an inch across and 1 gauge is 5/16ths. I guess someone didn't think they'd ever want wire bigger than that. I think paint brushes do it too.

I know I'm like a page late to the wire gage discussion. I've dealt with wires going down to 16 gage, those things are tiny. I do agree that it was something that really wasn't thought out when the standard was created.

Kinda like battery sizes, the original battery size was what we now call the D-Cell. The D originally stood for "Dry." Dry Cells were the original battery, and as they made smaller ones they lowered the letter. That of course is the same reason as to why we have AA and AAA batteries.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wa27 posted:

Yeah but the widescreen remastered episodes that are broadcast in HD look pretty great; Better than the DVDs and way better than the versions my local Fox station plays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-TqEFYcfM

And as was already said, there is extra data added to the sides.

My fox shows the HD episodes, but they're shrunk to fit a SD TV :confused:

They also do that with the Office and any other comedies that are in HD. It makes no sense to me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Iron Crowned posted:

My fox shows the HD episodes, but they're shrunk to fit a SD TV :confused:

They also do that with the Office and any other comedies that are in HD. It makes no sense to me.

The Office and other shows like that were recorded in 16:9, and a lot of people these days are preferring the original aspect ratio, instead of the cropped 4:3.

Seinfeld, however, was shot for 4:3. It's just that they happened to frame it using a smaller frame than the actual film, so they can expand it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Berkeloid posted:

Here's some comparison shots I made years ago to demonstrate the difference between the 4:3 and 16:9 versions:

I don't think that horizontal gain is anywhere near worth the vertical loss. It makes a lot of scenes really claustrophobic.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 11, 2010

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mojo1701a posted:

The Office and other shows like that were recorded in 16:9, and a lot of people these days are preferring the original aspect ratio, instead of the cropped 4:3.

Seinfeld, however, was shot for 4:3. It's just that they happened to frame it using a smaller frame than the actual film, so they can expand it.

Oh I prefer the original aspect ratio too, but why scale it down to fit into 4:3?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh I prefer the original aspect ratio too, but why scale it down to fit into 4:3?

I'm not sure what an alternative would be. Most SD channels broadcast at 4:3, so you have to letterbox it or pan & scan it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mojo1701a posted:

I'm not sure what an alternative would be. Most SD channels broadcast at 4:3, so you have to letterbox it or pan & scan it.

It's my local fox affiliate, they run all the Fox programming in HD, and so are the commercial breaks.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'm not gonna let you bring me down off this high, I've been partying all night! I saw the sun rise at Liza's!

Minnelli's?!?!

No.

*end scene*

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
ohhh, it's tolerable

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Anyone have the gif of Kramer in the Technicolor jacket/robe when he's walking down the street like a pimp? It's from The Wig Master.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Welp found it. However if anyone has the part where he does the cane spin I'd appreciate it, however here are some other ones.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Here's the fist bump/cane spin

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

El Negocio posted:

Here's the fist bump/cane spin

Hell yes, thank you!

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I have no patience for lactose, and I won't stand for it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't care what ANYONE says, Milosh the Tennis Pro is the best one-time character ever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pron on VHS posted:

I don't care what ANYONE says, Milosh the Tennis Pro is the best one-time character ever.

I posted it earlier in the thread, but that storyline gave us one of George's best moments:

Jerry: I didn't sleep with her!
George: Because of society, right?
Jerry: (Exasperated) Yes, George. Because of society.

The dismissive tone of George's "society" remark is fantastic, and really sums up his entire character: He'd be very happy with his life, if it weren't for all those people out there in the world ready to judge him. He knows he's a loathsome person deep down, but is aware enough of the expectations of the civilized world that he doesn't let himself slip into that velvety abyss of hedonism. Though that's not to say that he doesn't indulge himself in his full-on awful nature from time to time.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
the muffin stump tastes good for what it is, so I eat it first to get myself warmed up for the best for last. Take your time

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

JethroMcB posted:

The dismissive tone of George's "society" remark is fantastic, and really sums up his entire character: He'd be very happy with his life, if it weren't for all those people out there in the world ready to judge him. He knows he's a loathsome person deep down, but is aware enough of the expectations of the civilized world that he doesn't let himself slip into that velvety abyss of hedonism. Though that's not to say that he doesn't indulge himself in his full-on awful nature from time to time.

Which is ironic, because in two seperate instances (watch guy at the airport, and payphone guy at the Chinese restaurant,) George screams out,

"You know we're livin' in a society!"

I guess between those instances and Milosh he "gives up" on society? Or those two experiences with the jerks who care not for society made him realize that they were right all along, and society is stupid?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
George only cares about societal norms when the lack of them inconveniences him.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kevyn posted:

George only cares about societal norms when the lack of them inconveniences him.

Exactly. George invokes society when he sees somebody getting away with something and thinks, "Dammit! I know I couldn't get away with that!"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Pron on VHS posted:

Milos is so infinitely quotable and "The Comeback", if I had to choose, is my favourite episode of Seinfeld. It's one I can watch a million times and still laugh my rear end off.

"So concerned was he, that word of his poor tennis skills might leak out, he chose to offer you his wife as some sort of medieval sexual payola?"
"He's new around here."

Here's a Seinfeld fan question: which take of Kramer's hilarious smoking/drinking do you prefer in "The Sniffing Accountant", the one used or the outtake?

The regular scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY5OSDxwOEo
And the outtake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jBEEtoPzS8&feature=related
"Here's to feeling good all the time."

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 14, 2010

penis sandwich
Aug 28, 2004

have some pudding :)
I prefer the outtake, and I bet that if the show was airing today, the outtake would have been used instead. But "Seinfeld" never really went for the gross-out humor approach, and a belch after gulping down a beer would have been the closest they'd have gotten to "gross-out humor". So I'm not surprised it didn't make it into the regular show, which is a shame considering most of the happy mistakes (Kramer's car not starting in the Parking Garage, for instance) made the written scene all the better.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The outtake runs too long and it's got the reflexive upturned palm so I don't think it's as good for pacing, but man is that chug ever impressive.

JethroMcB posted:

Jerry: I didn't sleep with her!
George: Because of society, right?
He'd certainly need to be rid of his parents to be happy as well.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
But the outtake doesn't even feature him putting the cigarette in his mouth backwards, which is the best part

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

In the final scene the glass is barely half full, too. I like the original but the reflexive hand was kind of odd, I can see why they scrapped it.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

SlipkPIe posted:

But the outtake doesn't even feature him putting the cigarette in his mouth backwards, which is the best part

I agree with this, otherwise I would have liked the outtake better.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pron on VHS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaMzsNKR7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
The Milos victory dance would be a great gif