Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Coughing Hobo posted:

Concerning this game's connection to Drakengard, I recall, perhaps during the underground weapons laboratory, there being indirect mention of Red turning into salt, and covering the entire world, hence the "snow" in the very beginning of the game with the original Father and yonah. Having just completed Ending D last night, however, I can't go check quickly. :smith:

I thought that it was that big Watcher mother that disintegrates at the end of Drakengard that was the source of the disease that people got, and that the government claimed Red's body and experimented with it to find the magic stuff and use it to combat the Legions/start the Gestalt project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Yeah, the thing that wasn't really explained and kind of annoyed me was that the Black Scrawl is the result of a Replicant's Gestalt relapsing, at which point the data in their bodies corrupts and kills them. I'd thought up til then that the Black Scrawl was what killed the original humans. In retrospect they do refer to the 'white chlorination syndrome' in-game but the fact they never really explain the Black Scrawl just confuses things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I thought that it was that big Watcher mother that disintegrates at the end of Drakengard that was the source of the disease that people got, and that the government claimed Red's body and experimented with it to find the magic stuff and use it to combat the Legions/start the Gestalt project.

You need to play the DLC to get the specifics on that one, unfortunately, but the lines there heavily suggest that Caim and Angelus were just so pissed at dying that their anger ended the world.

Of course, that's a lot easier to believe if you've played Drakengard. Caim is an angry man.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So is there any point to some of the quests (like Yonah's) that don't give any cash reward or items, and no experience points? (Besides being a good father)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yonah's love is the reward :colbert: also the awesome chats weiss and nier have about her cooking

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay. Going for ending C now. I'm missing one weapon from each category.

Ending B: Emil's head trying to get along without legs would have been really sad if it weren't for the fact that it was Emil and he is very :unsmith: about 99% of the stuff in the game.

Also, in my third/fourth playthroughs, can I just save at the final save point before the final boss to see both endings?

Also, are there any new cutscenes like there were for the second playthrough? Can I just skip cutscenes again?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Yes, no, yes (though I'm not sure what you mean by 'again')

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Capsaicin posted:

Also, in my third/fourth playthroughs, can I just save at the final save point before the final boss to see both endings?

Also, are there any new cutscenes like there were for the second playthrough? Can I just skip cutscenes again?

Yes. The only difference between ending C and D is the very last choice at the end. I would probably recommend you go with C first, though. ;p

And no, the only time the game itself is different is on a NG+ playthrough. Nothing new gets added after the first time you beat the game.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Accidentally threw that word in there.

This game goes a lot faster when you can kill nearly everything in a hit. I think I spent more time in my second playthrough going through that one dungeon twice than I did the rest of the playthrough combined.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Also, there's a ??? in my one-handed weapon list, but every weapon list I've found online has only the thirteen 1H weapons I already have. I have:

Nameless Blade
Lily-Leaf
Nirvana Dagger
Moonrise
Rebirth
Earth Wyrm's Claw
Blade of Treachery
Beastbain
Faith
Ancient Overlord
Phoenix Dagger
Labyrinth's Whisper
Iron Pipe

Which one am I missing?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Could be one of the weapons from the DLC? You don't need those.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
There seems to always be a ???? at the end of the weapon lists even if you have 100% weapons. Maybe it goes away if you get the DLC weapons?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Also, there's a ??? in my one-handed weapon list, but every weapon list I've found online has only the thirteen 1H weapons I already have. I have:

Nameless Blade
Lily-Leaf
Nirvana Dagger
Moonrise
Rebirth
Earth Wyrm's Claw
Blade of Treachery
Beastbain
Faith
Ancient Overlord
Phoenix Dagger
Labyrinth's Whisper
Iron Pipe

Which one am I missing?

It's probably one of the Fool's weapons that you can get from the DLC, no need to worry about it - though I would get it (and the DLC) if you're interested in those BEFORE getting ending D

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

UselessLurker posted:

It's probably one of the Fool's weapons that you can get from the DLC, no need to worry about it - though I would get it (and the DLC) if you're interested in those BEFORE getting ending D

I was missing the spear you get in Junk Yard.

I just got Ending D....welp, poo poo.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Also, this is the first Cavia game I've played. Are they known for doing dickish/weird poo poo normally? I can only assume as much from the comments here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Also, this is the first Cavia game I've played. Are they known for doing dickish/weird poo poo normally? I can only assume as much from the comments here.

The final ending of Drakengard made you play a rhythm game, in a game that had no rhythm sections previously, to a song with no rhythm, and which required you to hit 49 separate notes in a span of slightly longer than 5 seconds, only for your characters to get shot down by a loving Tomahawk missile.

So yeah, kinda.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Drakengard 1 featured some of the most horribly broken characters ever in a video game and absolutely relished in making you commit wholesale atrocity. I mean poo poo, you murder child soldiers while your incestuous sister, a cannibal, a pedophile, unabashed genocidal racist, and masochist 12 year fight along your side.

On a meta-level, collecting weapons to unlock the final ending was completely assholish and each new ending got worse, and worse, and worse until the final ending. Now, while the final ending didn't delete your saves it completely switched genres and basically cock-slapped you for wasting your time and made a 12 year old the worst human being in the history of video games.

Oh, and Drakengard 2 assumes you got the default ending of Drakengard and then has you fight the protagonist of Drakengard 1. Guess what, he's still a loving monster and manages to kill a good chunk of the cast while silently laughing since he still has no voice.

Nier, as far as anyone can tell, assumes Drakengard bad ending which would prevent Drakengard 2 from ever happening thank loving god. As cool as seeing Caim get his revenge on ancillary Drakengard characters, Nier owns.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a table or something anywhere listing how long it takes for crops to grow? I know it's based on how much real-time hours pass but it seems to me that that's the only way to regularly get a good cash influx. Gamefaqs isn't helping.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Speedball posted:

Is there a table or something anywhere listing how long it takes for crops to grow? I know it's based on how much real-time hours pass but it seems to me that that's the only way to regularly get a good cash influx. Gamefaqs isn't helping.

God no, crop growth is poo poo for cash. Fish, man. Fishing is where it's at.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

From: http://www.trueachievements.com/a63619/legendary-gardener-achievement.htm?showguides=1

quote:

Flowers have five stages:
1. Planting - the seeds have just been planted
2. Growing - the plant is growing
3. Flowering - the plant is flowering
4. Harvesting - the plant is able to be harvested for seeds
5. Dead - the plant is useless

If you are going for the achievement anyway the white flowers sell for 5k each, and once you have one seed you can easily turn them into many more.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Unless you have the nicer flowers, rice is the fastest way to make cash.

Plant all 15 spots with rice and bounty fertilizer, move system clock 1 day forward (you don't have to even water them) then harvest each row one by one, selling all your crop (you get like 83 per row at 600g each) and you'll net about 100k. Takes less than 5 minutes to do.

It also feeds all those starving children! :gonk:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
cavia sounds like what would happen if goons made a video game company.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I don't see how deleting everything after Ending D is trolling their players, they literally ask you like 9 times whether you're sure you want to do it, and warn you well in advance. If you actually look at Ending D, it makes sense to do it the way they did it. It's less trolling than just really being daring with how far they want to go with the story.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I haven't done ending D yet. I have to do C one more time to get one more Broken Pottery because you can't get them at the endgame, gently caress. After that I've got the plat though so woo.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Fuzz posted:

I don't see how deleting everything after Ending D is trolling their players, they literally ask you like 9 times whether you're sure you want to do it, and warn you well in advance. If you actually look at Ending D, it makes sense to do it the way they did it. It's less trolling than just really being daring with how far they want to go with the story.

My guess is that originally, there was no confirmation. I have the image of some marketing guy or playtester or something coming in and saying "Uhhh, you got to put a warning or something here."

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Played through the first half of the game, thinking "this doesn't seem that depressing, not sure what people were talking about".

Then I got through the second half :( although at least the ending was somewhat happy, since both father/daughters got reunited

Now starting New Game+ and I'm already blown away.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

The final ending of Drakengard made you play a rhythm game, in a game that had no rhythm sections previously, to a song with no rhythm, and which required you to hit 49 separate notes in a span of slightly longer than 5 seconds, only for your characters to get shot down by a loving Tomahawk missile.

So yeah, kinda.

And this is after you had to collect all of the game's weapons, some of which had extremely arbitrary requirements you'd pretty much never figure out without prolonged experimentation or using a guide. Like, say, the one where you have to sit around for 10-20 minutes on an extremely short level.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Played through the first half of the game, thinking "this doesn't seem that depressing, not sure what people were talking about".

Then I got through the second half :( although at least the ending was somewhat happy, since both father/daughters got reunited

Now starting New Game+ and I'm already blown away.

The scene after the credits is a flashback to before the game started.

After ending A, Yonah still has the black scrawl and probably dies pretty soon after.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mug posted:

After ending A, Yonah still has the black scrawl and probably dies pretty soon after.

And according to Grimoire Neir, Because the Shadowlord is dead, the cure that has been plaguing humanity is lost, and the entire human race will be dead in a generation. So not only have you not really accomplished anything, you've actively lead to the death of humanity.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mug posted:

Wait are you sure? The scrawl is the gestalt relapsing, and since the "real" Yonah said she no longer wanted to take her body back doesn't that mean it should fade away?

Not like anything is explained very clearly other than everything is dar your life sucks death to this gay earth

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait are you sure? The scrawl is the gestalt relapsing, and since the "real" Yonah said she no longer wanted to take her body back doesn't that mean it should fade away?

Not like anything is explained very clearly other than everything is dar your life sucks death to this gay earth

Have a read of Grimoir Nier. It's really good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was reading parts of it as it was getting translated, is it done? Haven't read through the whole thing.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Man when people said you haven't really experienced Nier until you play through the New Game+ versions they were right.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I feel like I'm playing this game wrong. That, or I've gotten so used to checkpoints and the like that starting more than 5 minutes back irritates the poo poo out of me. I just finished the first boss, and get a few quests and have to go check out some other town. On the way there, this boar I'm supposed to kill shows up so I go after it. I fail to dodge out of it's charge and die, and then start back from when I first entered the plains. No big deal, I go through killing lil demons and defenseless sheep and come across the boar again, and the exact same thing happens. And then once more. So that's three times I hear the same dialogue and kill the same monsters before finally realizing I shouldn't be trying to kill the boar.

Fast forward a bit, and I'm on my way to get a fish or something. Along the way is a spooky house with some spiders, which promptly walk all over my rear end. Of course the checkpoint is way back, so I have to kill my way back to there.

So, am I just sucking at the combat? I'm having a hard time figuring out the timing for parries. Other than that, any other tips for newbies? I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I hate hate hate having to repeat things over and over in games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EC posted:

Help

The Boar is something you'll have to kill for a quest, and you'll only ever have to kill it once. Its actually really easy too. Find a large rock and then piss it off. When it charges, hide behind the rock. It will knock itself out for a few seconds during which you can just wail on it. When it gets up, move behind the rock and it will knock itself out again. You should do this quest as it enables using Boars as cars in the two fields where they are found.

Spider area is a higher level area, just ignore them for now, you'll have to go there as part of the plot.

Combat never really requires any skills, you just have to get stronger and then it becomes a joke.

Eventually you'll see giant shades roaming the plains. Ignore them as they drop trivial rewards and take ages to kill.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks for the help! I've put about 12 hours in so far, and just got the first stone fragment. I'm really enjoying trying to get to the story behind the one I'm playing, I love that stuff. I think I've got the combat down as well.

It kind of sucks you can only have two of your eight powers mapped at one time. I'd love to have three or four to mix it up a bit.

Edit: I've also given up on side quests, but I'll still take them and do them if they're easy/near. Most of them seem pretty tedious.

EC fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 16, 2010

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Finally, after 31 hours of play and doing almost every sidequest and trying to upgrade as much weapons as I could, I decided to get ending A.

I have nothing else to say other than this game is a masterpiece. I cared about the characters and the world of Nier. Reading the timeline in Grimoire Nier made me into a mix of :stare: and :smith:. I wish Cavia would make more DLC, but...:smith:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I just got the "Every weapon upgrade" trophy at the 70 hour mark. Probably took me WAY longer than it should have, I'm not sure. Just working on that speedrun now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mug posted:

I just got the "Every weapon upgrade" trophy at the 70 hour mark. Probably took me WAY longer than it should have, I'm not sure. Just working on that speedrun now.

No, no that's just about the right amount of time invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

No, no that's just about the right amount of time invested.

"Invested" may not be the right word for this thing we do.

• Locked thread