Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have an odd noise when driving my miata(it's a '94). It sounds kind of like rocks bouncing around a tin can; it happens only in the higher RPM range(like above 5k) several seconds after I let off the accelerator. It also seems to be worse when the engine is cold. I can't quite pin point where the noise is coming from though, doesn't seem to be coming from any particular direction just kind of there. Any ideas what it could be?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Loose heat shield somewhere is the most likely culprit. My car ('95) does the same thing, I've just been too lazy to jack it up and crawl under there and find what's making the noise. Hasn't actually hurt anything so I haven't been terribly concerned.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Not enough pictures lately, so here's some from the weekend:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Was visiting the girlfriend in Boone, and decided to take a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's beautiful there right now, if anyone gets the chance, go before it gets too cold.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
God dammit. My oil pan leaks. I'm going to be mad if I have to take the motor back out to fix it.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone have this headlight vent lid?
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=395871

Seems like a good deal but some dude in that thread says it doesn't fit right. Is he just dumb?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Piano posted:

Seems like a good deal but some dude in that thread says it doesn't fit right. Is he just dumb?
Two people have reported they don't fit, Chaser is looking into it right now. If you get one, please do some empirical testing to see if it actually makes a difference.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Guess they stopped selling it after I posted that. Chaser is a pretty sketch company it seems.

Probably for the better, I'm not convinced those do much at all, but carbon fiber bling is always alluring.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Piano posted:

Guess they stopped selling it after I posted that. Chaser is a pretty sketch company it seems.

Probably for the better, I'm not convinced those do much at all, but carbon fiber bling is always alluring.
They're fairly large, but Russ, the rep on Clubroadster is doing a great job since the last dude left. I don't care much for anything they make but they're a decent vendor now.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Mezmerized Machine posted:

Not enough pictures lately, so here's some from the weekend:

I like the first pic!

summer pic of me at buttonwillow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
What do people think about buying miatas with 150k+ on them? I've seen a few nice ones but they have a lot of miles, do they tend to start showing their age in the chassis and fit or will they be fine for another 100k? I'm more concerned about permanent hardware like the trans/diff/interior/etc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If it checks out mechanically and has had a recent enough timing belt/waterpump job, it should be good to go. Things wear out, but they hold up relatively well. Mine has 185k on it and I'm having some weird noises... but I'm not sure exactly what is happening and it definitely is a weird thing.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If some retard lost my oil cap and I was unaware of it until I smelled burning oil, meaning that the entire top side of my engine and bottom side of my hood were now covered in oil, what would be my best bet for cleaning them both up?

should I just put a bag over the ignition bits and hose it down at the car wash or what?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

What do people think about buying miatas with 150k+ on them? I've seen a few nice ones but they have a lot of miles, do they tend to start showing their age in the chassis and fit or will they be fine for another 100k? I'm more concerned about permanent hardware like the trans/diff/interior/etc.

Not much really fails 'on schedule' that I can think of. Plenty of people seem to run the engine to 250k or more.

Biggest thing I'd worry about is rust, and even that isn't too prevalent apparently. Check right in front of the rear tires, if there's none there, there's probably not any on the car.

It's all really cheap to replace as well. The 1.8 engine was all over the place for that era and literally the most expensive (used in good condition) replacement parts on a miata are:
-Hard Top (~$800)
-LSD (~$400(?)
-Engine and trans together (no more than 800 probably)

Tactical Bonnet posted:

If some retard lost my oil cap and I was unaware of it until I smelled burning oil, meaning that the entire top side of my engine and bottom side of my hood were now covered in oil, what would be my best bet for cleaning them both up?

should I just put a bag over the ignition bits and hose it down at the car wash or what?

Water by itself won't do much to oil.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 14, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hardtop: 800+
Softtop: 300+
LSD: 800ish
New motor: 3-800
Transmission: 250

Using a pressure washer will work on an oil covered engine bay. Be careful because you don't want to get water in the cylinders.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
Some more Miata pictures.

Me scaring my girlfriend in her first autocross ride-along.

Same event, me looking gigantic and deceptively relaxed.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Piano posted:

Water by itself won't do much to oil.

Simple green likes to corrode aluminum, use something like castrol super clean instead.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
My plan was to simple green it at the car wash and hope no o e pulled up in an EPA van while I hosed it off.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
How much of a noise reduction will a hard top give at speed on the interstate? I love my miata but the sucker is really loud on the interstate and I never put the top down anyways so I'm looking into hardtops.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

-Inu- posted:

How much of a noise reduction will a hard top give at speed on the interstate? I love my miata but the sucker is really loud on the interstate and I never put the top down anyways so I'm looking into hardtops.

It's noticeable, but it's also not night and day. You get used to it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The newer cars are more silent on the freeway, but having a hardtop on makes listening to the radio almost possible. I mean, the car is doing 4k and change at 80mph.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

-Inu- posted:

I love my miata but ....I never put the top down

Something doesn't seem right here. I have a hardtop for my miata and VASTLY prefer no top over hard top over soft top.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Blaise posted:

Something doesn't seem right here. I have a hardtop for my miata and VASTLY prefer no top over hard top over soft top.

Agreed. If I had a garage, I would drive most of the time between May and October with the top off/down.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Thirded, top down is ultimate hairdresser experience. I never drive with the top up unless I have to.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Word to your mother. I don't ever drive with the top up if I can avoid it. I also don't ever bother to comb my hair.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I only get pulled over with the top down and my inspection is a billion months expired so I have to hide from the five-oh with my top up all the time.

I think I look suspicious, they assume the car is stolen because of the gay stigma and gay men don't have beards.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

These gentlemen would beg to differ.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 15, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

dang where did you get that pic of me and my roomate

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
http://blog.beardlife.net/2010/02/25/i-was-wrong-about-miata-drivers/

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

-Inu- posted:

It's not worth the cost of a hardtop if that's why you want one. They are still noisy as hell. Just drive with earplug style headphones (yes I know it's illegal).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Blaise posted:

I usually just take the bike if it's nice enough to put the top down. Also, I have long hair and gently caress that poo poo. Ironically I might drive with the top down more in winter because I can just wear a beanie or something :v:

n8r posted:

It's not worth the cost of a hardtop if that's why you want one. They are still noisy as hell. Just drive with earplug style headphones (yes I know it's illegal).
Bah, that sucks. I don't like not being able to talk to passengers without screaming, heh. Oh well, such is the life of a sports car!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Could someone with an NA Miata possibly measure the distance from the hub to the fender? Not the up down way, but the lateral distance.

Like so:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
At full droop with stock suspension?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Another side question, what are the widest tires I can put on my 95M's BBS wheels without looking ridiculous/rubbing in the front when I steer?

Bear in mind that the roads in Oklahoma are poo poo so I need sidewalls.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Piano posted:

destructo posted:

Two people have reported they don't fit, Chaser is looking into it right now. If you get one, please do some empirical testing to see if it actually makes a difference.

Okay now they're selling the "defective" ones for $50(/$75 pair). gently caress it, gonna try them.

edit: cr.net going apeshit ordering these, lolol.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 16, 2010

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FatCow posted:

At full droop with stock suspension?

Honestly any droop as long as the car isn't running stock camber. Shouldn't change my number too much I would think.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 16, 2010

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I have my car up on stands now. It has FCM coil overs, poly bushings and about -2.5* of front camber. If you can give me a good way to measure that distance I'll do it for you. Out of curiosity what do you want this number for?

[edit]
If you want the number from the hub instead of the brake rotor you're going to have to wait till November when I swap my AX pads for my track pads.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just to see the proportions of my wheel/tire combo. The stock photo looks like it is close, but it could have other factors in play like spacers or something. The website says hub but it I'm sure they meant rotor now that I think of it.

http://www.jonathanrowny.com/page/offset-calculator

Wheels: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/21-1015.html

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
For what you have you're likely going to want to measure your current distance and compute backwards to get your numbers. The ride height and camber on the car is going to alter that significantly.

Also why 14"? Tire selection sucks in 14".

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FatCow posted:

Tire selection sucks in 14".

My other car is a literal econobox (1st gen xB), so I'm perfectly happy with my tire selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Nevermind.

n8r fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 18, 2010