Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Louis Armstrong?

Minimalism?

also μ-Ziq? I really enjoy Tango N' Vectif but not sure where to head from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
For μ-Ziq you should look at Lunatic Harness, Bluff Limbo, and In Pine Effect, which is my personal favorite.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

bef posted:

Minimalism?

Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians. Definitely my favorite of his.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Carl Cox? Are there definitive mixes?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Since my RJD2 request was a bust, anyone know anything about Cyndi Lauper albums outside of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"? "Time After Time" and "True Colors" are nice, if overplayed. Her Lennon tribute stuff ("Working Class Hero", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Hey Bulldog") I found on YouTube was pretty classy and she's always had a great singing voice.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

bef posted:

Minimalism?

Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians, Music for a Large Ensemble, Four Movements
Terry Riley - In C, A Rainbow in Curved Air
Philip Glass - Glassworks, Music in 12 Parts
La Monte Young - The Well Tuned Piano
John Adams - Harmonium
Charlemagne Palestine - Schlingen-Blängen

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

the Bunt posted:

Number 12 Looks Like You's "Worse Than Alone" is one of the best goddamn albums I've heard in a long time. I've tried to listen to older individual songs by them, and I haven't been impressed. What's the next album I should get?

From what I have heard, Mongrel would probably be the next logical step.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Since my RJD2 request was a bust
Grab his first two full-lengths Deadringer and Since We Last Spoke. Honestly I never thought of him as having a particularly intimidating catalogue

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

het posted:

Grab his first two full-lengths Deadringer and Since We Last Spoke. Honestly I never thought of him as having a particularly intimidating catalogue

His wiki page has something like 20 albums of solo, mix and collaboration material plus his EP's and instrumentals. But "start at the beginning" works for me. Thanks.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
My two favorite projects of his are Dead Ringer and Your Face or Your Kneecaps, there are certainly good songs scattered throughout the rest of his discography but those two projects are the most consistent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

From what I have heard, Mongrel would probably be the next logical step.

I'd just go chronologically with these guys, basically. Start with Put on Your Rosy Red Glasses, skip over everything on An Inch of Gold for an Inch of Time except for the amazing "My Sharona" cover (everything else on it is just lesser re-recordings of songs on their first two albums), and then Nuclear, Sad, Nuclear.

I'm honestly not huge into Mongrel or Worse Than Alone, but those first two albums are loving great.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know where to start with reggaeton? I really like the sound when I'm out dancing, but I'm wondering if there are any specific artists I could pick up.

G.Rainmaker
Feb 3, 2010
I've listened to a dozen or so songs by Nick Cave in various bands and I really dig his voice, especially when he does more blues-based songs.

I want to start delving into his catalog so where would be the best place for me to start?

and I love his cover of John the Regulator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPmacnYVb6A&feature=related

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

G.Rainmaker posted:

I've listened to a dozen or so songs by Nick Cave in various bands and I really dig his voice, especially when he does more blues-based songs.

I want to start delving into his catalog so where would be the best place for me to start?

and I love his cover of John the Regulator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPmacnYVb6A&feature=related

Man, it's all good. Start at the beginning and go crazy.

(Or, grab From Her to Eternity, Let Love In, and The Boatman's Call. Then fill in after you've decided Nick Cave is awesome.)

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Wyatt posted:

Man, it's all good. Start at the beginning and go crazy.

(Or, grab From Her to Eternity, Let Love In, and The Boatman's Call. Then fill in after you've decided Nick Cave is awesome.)

I started with Murder Ballads, then Live Seeds. From there I just went backwards.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
Where do I start with Wiz Khalifa?

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Where do I start with The Hold Steady?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Any of those first three albums are a solid and worthy starting point. Personally, I enjoy Separation Sunday, but if you want the full effect in terms of some reoccurring characters or ideas then you might as well start with Almost Killed Me and work your way forward.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Z.S. Ghost posted:

The obvious starting point would be Boys and Girls In America, it was their breakout album.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Z-Ro?

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Where do I start with The Drive-by Truckers?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Where do I start with The Drive-by Truckers?

Decoration Day and/or The Dirty South. Those two, along with the somewhat lesser A Blessing and a Curse featured the group's best lineup, with third guitarist/singer/songwriter Jason Isbell joining the core of Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley. Isbell divorced bassist/backup vocalist Shonna Tucker and left the group after Blessing.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

A Violence Gang posted:

Decoration Day and/or The Dirty South. Those two, along with the somewhat lesser A Blessing and a Curse featured the group's best lineup, with third guitarist/singer/songwriter Jason Isbell joining the core of Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley. Isbell divorced bassist/backup vocalist Shonna Tucker and left the group after Blessing.

You're exactly right, but I still think Southern Rock Opera is flat-out one of the best RAWK records of the last twenty years and it's a drat crime that album isn't as commonplace as Nevermind.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've always had some what of an interest in experimental rock, but have no clue where to go. I've read that Fear Before is some what of an experimental rock band, but where to start and where to go from there.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

screenwritersblues posted:

I've always had some what of an interest in experimental rock, but have no clue where to go. I've read that Fear Before is some what of an experimental rock band, but where to start and where to go from there.
Whaaaaaa...? Listen to CAN.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Ludwig van Beethoven. There seems to be a lot of versions and orchestras. Are there any recordings that just eclipse the rest?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Jarl posted:

Ludwig van Beethoven. There seems to be a lot of versions and orchestras. Are there any recordings that just eclipse the rest?

I've always been rather partial to the Berlin Philharmonic recording of his 9th Symphony.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphony-Karajan-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000001GPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1287263677&sr=1-1

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Jarl posted:

Furtwängler and Klemperer, but I guess if you haven't heard the syms at all you'd probably want a slightly higher-fidelity set first. Böhm's DG set is real good, in that case

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

HP Hovercraft posted:

Whaaaaaa...? Listen to CAN.

CAN? Explain please.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

screenwritersblues posted:

CAN? Explain please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can_%28band%29

Come on son. Second google result for "can", not that hard.

(i would suggest tago mago as a starting point)

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

funkcroquet posted:

Furtwängler and Klemperer, but I guess if you haven't heard the syms at all you'd probably want a slightly higher-fidelity set first. Böhm's DG set is real good, in that case

Just thought I'd say that 'Furtwängler' is probably my new favourite word ever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Grushenka posted:

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know where to start with reggaeton? I really like the sound when I'm out dancing, but I'm wondering if there are any specific artists I could pick up.

Just listen to Wisin y Yandel, Daddy Yankee, and I don't know. Reggaeton is huge over here but its become real stale.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Any suggestions on where to start with Willie Nelson and Tom Petty?

SMP
May 5, 2009

bef posted:

Minimalism?

A bit late to the party, but I wanted to help a request before I requested my own. Try Eluvium, especially his album Copia

Where do I start with Elvis and Little Richard?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I'm looking for some advice on Neil Young. I like Neil Young, but I don't know him well enough to know his different periods/styles/etc more than just that I've heard them over the years.

I own Harvest and After the Gold Rush, love both albums. However, besides those first four albums, where are other places to start, especially for something a little different than those early albums?

It might not be helpful, but I read a review once for Sonic Youth's Murray Street as being the album that showed Sonic Youth paying tribute to Neil Young. That would be an album or period of Neil Young that I would love to discover.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

I'm looking for some advice on Neil Young. I like Neil Young, but I don't know him well enough to know his different periods/styles/etc more than just that I've heard them over the years.

I own Harvest and After the Gold Rush, love both albums. However, besides those first four albums, where are other places to start, especially for something a little different than those early albums?

It might not be helpful, but I read a review once for Sonic Youth's Murray Street as being the album that showed Sonic Youth paying tribute to Neil Young. That would be an album or period of Neil Young that I would love to discover.

The first steps would be Rust Never Sleeps and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, they're both a little but not too different from Harvest and After the Gold Rush.

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere features some of his tightest straightforward rock songs like the title track and "Cinnamon Girl" as well as some of his jammier stuff, like "Down by the River" and "Cowgirl in the Sand". Rust Never Sleeps contains excellent songs on both the acoustic and electric side, the latter of which delves into some stuff that could be described as proto-grunge.

But ultimately I think his best, if less accessible, are the three works following Harvest: the never officially released but obtainable live album Time Fades Away, On the Beach and Tonight's the Night. Young sounds like he's actively trying to shake off the success he found with the relatively mellow (but excellent) country-rock of Harvest. These might take longer to grab you but I think they're the most rewarding of his extensive catalog.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Where's the best place to start with the Butthole Surfers? I know pretty much nothing about them.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

Tonight's The Night, as already mentioned, is possibly Neil's greatest album. However, one of his most over looked albums is Zuma, which is from his Crazy Horse period. This album has my favorite song, Cortes the Killer, which is an almost eight minute long trip leading to Cortes coming across the water and ruining the lives of the Aztecs. Also, if you can go out and find the Archives Vol. 1. It's worth the money, mainly because it's spanning the first few years of his career and you get some recordings that haven't been released the the general public.

EDIT: I've been listening heavily to Surf Blood for the past few months, however I am having a hard time finding something that sounds similar to them. Does anyone know of anyone who sounds close to them or at least fits that same indie/surf rock sound?

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 28, 2010

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Voodoofly posted:

And I just want to pipe in and say that if you like new wave music or anything of the sort, you could also try "Trans." I mean when I was looking into Neil Young I went "Harvest," then "After The Gold Rush," then "Trans..." I regret nothing and the song "Sample and Hold" rules...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Cosmonaut
Jun 22, 2010

Civilekonom

bef posted:

Louis Armstrong?

Minimalism?

also μ-Ziq? I really enjoy Tango N' Vectif but not sure where to head from there

Don't miss the Maximum Priest EP!