Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Al2001 posted:

Tried to watch that Him and Her thing but couldn't really do it. My friends are alot more entertaining than that when drunk. Is it meant to be a comedy or a drama or both? All the characters seemed really dull and self-absorbed.

This week's was the last episode (I think), so it's a bad point to start watching really, since they've spent the whole series building the characters up and then in this one they're all really drunk.

The sister is the best character. You know I don't like it when you make fun of my visitations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The new Film 20xx was largely crap.

I actually like Claudia Winkleman but the show reeked of the BBC not having faith in their choice of presenter. I would've preferred it if it was just the two of them reviewing the films, Ebert style.

Instead the show is too busy. And though it doesn't bother me that the one woman didn't like Pixar films, the way she announced it was like it was meant to be a mind blowing revelation. Smug as gently caress.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I was in a cinema down in London yesterday and i saw an advert for this Cray brothers drama thing. It's got the guy from Spooks (season 4 onwards) and one of the League of Gentlemen guys in it, but i missed it's name. It actually looked quite good, but it was an ITV production :psyduck:

edit: You also all need to go see Buried because it's awesome.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kin posted:

I was in a cinema down in London yesterday and i saw an advert for this Cray brothers drama thing. It's got the guy from Spooks (season 4 onwards) and one of the League of Gentlemen guys in it, but i missed it's name. It actually looked quite good, but it was an ITV production :psyduck:

I actually mentioned the programme before but no-one replied (pretty much says everything about the state of ITV). It's called Whitechapel, and it's in its second series. It's extremely well made and different to other detective shows in its tone and atmosphere. It's one of the few outstanding programmes that have appeared on ITV recently.

The first series was about copycat Jack The Ripper murders. I thought all three episodes were excellent, although, at first, I was hesitant about watching it because I find the subject of Jack The Ripper tedious. However the writing, character development, the noir settings and atmosphere of the first series made it very enjoyable and engaging.

I've got to say I enjoyed the first Whitechapel more than Sherlock. I'd recommend watching the 2009 broadcast first.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Quanta posted:

I actually mentioned the programme before but no-one replied (pretty much says everything about the state of ITV). It's called Whitechapel, and it's in its second series. It's extremely well made and different to other detective shows in its tone and atmosphere. It's one of the few outstanding programmes that have appeared on ITV recently.

The first series was about copycat Jack The Ripper murders. I thought all three episodes were excellent, although, at first, I was hesitant about watching it because I find the subject of Jack The Ripper tedious. However the writing, character development, the noir settings and atmosphere of the first series made it very enjoyable and engaging.

I've got to say I enjoyed the first Whitechapel more than Sherlock. I'd recommend watching the 2009 broadcast first.

Oh right, i just thought it was some kind of new minseries thing. It starts off going on about copycat murders of the crays, then it flat out says that it's the kids of one of the Cray brothers and they pretty much run the city or whatever just like their fathers did.

It doesn't seem as badass if it's some gimmicky "copycat some historical nasty" crime drama show.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kin posted:

It doesn't seem as badass if it's some gimmicky "copycat some historical nasty" crime drama show.

That's what I initially thought when the first Whitechapel was about to air, but I was pleasantly surprised by 30 minutes into the first episode. Give the 2009 episodes a watch. If you liked the first episode of Sherlock, you'll like Whitechapel.

I'm surprised not many people have any interest in the programme here. Whitechapel was ITV's biggest hit in 2009 and was well received by the press.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I honestly don't remember ever hearing of it, but I did like Sherlock so I'll give it a go.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quanta posted:

That's what I initially thought when the first Whitechapel was about to air, but I was pleasantly surprised by 30 minutes into the first episode. Give the 2009 episodes a watch. If you liked the first episode of Sherlock, you'll like Whitechapel.

I'm surprised not many people have any interest in the programme here. Whitechapel was ITV's biggest hit in 2009 and was well received by the press.

Ok, I'll bite, but if it's poo poo I'll 'ave to cut ya.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

Ok, I'll bite, but if it's poo poo I'll 'ave to cut ya.

The first series prominently features Steve Pemberton as a creep who lives in his mother's basement. That should be enough for me to escape nerd beatings, right?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Bye bye, Charlie Brooker on Screen Burn. It was fun.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

This is what happens when you get your own watered down prime-time celebrity "quiz" show

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I blame Konnie Huq.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
He's been doing that poo poo every week for ten years, I'm not surprised he wants to stop.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Chris Moyles, Jack Whitehall and Patrick Kielty together in any context is not good unless it is "the following people are on fire".

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Adrianics posted:

Chris Moyles, Jack Whitehall and Patrick Kielty together in any context is not good unless it is "the following people are on fire".

I read the first 7 words and thought this was going to end "...well, you put two shots into Kielty and have fun with the end of the rifle".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Adrianics posted:

I second this opinion. Hard.

But yeah, I think we all do that when we bad mouth the poo poo out of somebody we barely know and then suddenly we meet then and they aren't that bad. It really makes you feel low.

I've still got my fingers crossed that Brooker might do a few more documentaries about Gaming.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Ive actually got a bit of a soft spot for Moyles, he seemed like a genuine guy when I listened to his radio show at work on R1 way back when. I then turned treason and then listened to American radio instead but he was alright. Has he turned all superstar these days?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
But... b-b-but... but this means Screen/News/Gameswipe are still safe, right guys? Guys?!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I personally heard one of the most painful things from Moyles fat gob on a bus to college a few years ago when he was interviewing Halle Berry.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jack Whitehall seems like a complete utter oval office who only gets booked because of his dad.

Did anyone see that essex thing? What the gently caress?! It just seems like hollyoaks or something. No way that that's not 90% scripted or something.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Graviton v2 posted:

Ive actually got a bit of a soft spot for Moyles, he seemed like a genuine guy when I listened to his radio show at work on R1 way back when. I then turned treason and then listened to American radio instead but he was alright. Has he turned all superstar these days?

I quite like his morning show. It's a bit self-centered but drat he's got 2.5 hours to fill, you run out of stuff eventually. Good mindless chatter. The podcast is pretty good as it's just 30-45 minutes of the top stuff from the week.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

A5H posted:

Did anyone see that essex thing? What the gently caress?! It just seems like hollyoaks or something. No way that that's not 90% scripted or something.
Oh lord yes. It would be like The Hills with colour balance all wrong, except this show starts and ends with an announcer desperately yelling "THIS IS REAL" and not convincing anybody.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
My god Victoria Coren is fit.

That is all.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006
TV Burp is great so far this week.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

seregrail7 posted:

TV Burp is great so far this week.
Much better than last week. Maybe ran the The Rectangular Cuboid jokes too long but still pretty good.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Graviton v2 posted:

My god Victoria Coren is fit.

That is all.

Nerds Choice.

If you don't watch Only Connect you're missing out.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

thehustler posted:

Nerds Choice.

If you don't watch Only Connect you're missing out.

Yeah, you're missing out on the most pretentious TV program I have ever seen.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quanta posted:

The first series prominently features Steve Pemberton as a creep who lives in his mother's basement. That should be enough for me to escape nerd beatings, right?

Ok, no Glasgow Smile for you. Once I got past the ham-fisted, desperately trying to be Life on Mars relationship between the two leads and the wanky montage editing, it was actually quite good. Steve Pemberton was excellent, but then he usually is. On to season 2, even if the Krays aren't anywhere near as interesting as the Ripper.

Flatscan fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 17, 2010

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

He goes out with a bang though:

"I'd like to say that I wasn't nasty about women but I'd be lying. I wrote that Ann Widdecombe had a face like a haunted cave in Poland"

He and Frankie Boyle need to come together and write a book full of the best insults to say to someone.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

7seven7 posted:

But... b-b-but... but this means Screen/News/Gameswipe are still safe, right guys? Guys?!

Nope, i bet if he does go back to do a niche bbc4 show, it'll be a one off. Expect lots more shows with david mitchell and or Jimmy carr since they have been lumped together into the quite middle class misanthropic nerd comedian catergory.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

A Humble Narcissist posted:

It's so funny I watched one a couple of weeks ago and normally I'm clueless as to what the connections are, but this one I got with the first answer, and neither team had a clue!

Its great that these people seem to know all this random obscure historical stuff, but when it comes to the addresses of cartoon characters, I have the knowledge they are clueless about! :D

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

LE0N posted:

Nope, i bet if he does go back to do a niche bbc4 show, it'll be a one off. Expect lots more shows with david mitchell and or Jimmy carr since they have been lumped together into the quite middle class misanthropic nerd comedian catergory.

He said on Twitter there'll be a wipe show later in the year.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Daedo posted:

It's so funny I watched one a couple of weeks ago and normally I'm clueless as to what the connections are, but this one I got with the first answer, and neither team had a clue!

Its great that these people seem to know all this random obscure historical stuff, but when it comes to the addresses of cartoon characters, I have the knowledge they are clueless about! :D

Only Connect has has such a great range of variety of connections. Sometimes it's fairly hardcore quiz stuff, but a few weeks ago they had "Simon Belmont, Father Callaghan, Buffy Summers, Van Helsing" almost immediately followed by "Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Reptile, Shao Kahn". It's not pretentious, it's quite clearly taking the piss.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Isn't that the whole point?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
His teeth.. :gonk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI00MjKt1Vk

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Muppetjedi posted:

His teeth.. :gonk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI00MjKt1Vk
Mein Gott!

e:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5BhiGWBWk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgm0yZdYM70
(sorry that has nothing to do with uk tv just reminded me of something that amused me, easily amused)

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 17, 2010

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Those are some impressive chompers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is like somebody mated with a Spitting Image puppet, poor lad :(.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

What's the matter? Scared of intelligent people?

It doesn't take itself too seriously and indeed takes the piss out of itself for being like that. When you get a question right sat on the sofa watching it it actually feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

A bit off-topic, but the re-release of Back to the Future is showing in most UK Cinemas at the moment, I highly recommend going to see it if it's showing locally to you. It's a completely different experience on the big screen compared to the yearly viewing at Christmas on television, and whats even better is that most teens have no interest in seeing it. Me and the missus went last week and it was us and a half dozen other late 20s/early 30s couples in there, not a single noisy texting talking teen in sight. (Young people! :argh:)

I'm actually hoping they re-release the Part III as well now, Part II...ehh not so much. (I would also love to watch Ghostbusters on the big screen again :sigh:)