Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

routlej1
Apr 1, 2010

c355n4 posted:

http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/museum_of_flight/games__fun/360_degree_cockpit_views.aspx

Cool link with 360 degree cockpit views. The Avro Vulcan is insane.

That's just awesome. I still can't get over how amazing Concorde was.

I was looking round the cockpit thinking, "complicated, but fairly typical for cockpits of the time I guess", then spotted the four big yellow buttons with the words "REHEAT" printed on them.

Aw yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
is there anything more NAZI SUPER SIENCE than the ME 323

are helicopters allowed to play in this thread? anyone can identify this its just labeld as nom nom1.jpg

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Trench_Rat posted:

Possibly, but using 3 Bf110s to lug the unpowered version (Me 321) into the air is pretty NAZI CRAZY:

are helicopters allowed to play in this thread? anyone can identify this its just labeld as nom nom1.jpg

CH-37 Mojave

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Trench_Rat posted:

There are a few other crazy Nazi designs out there...

The He-111Z was created as a tow aircraft for the ME-323, and was built by just taking two He-111 bombers, attaching them at the wing, and adding a fifth engine at the middle of the new wing.

Click here for the full 1024x904 image.

A total of 12 were built in 1942, and by the end of the war (after an unremarkable career), eight had been shot down or bombed on the ground, and the remaining four examples are presumed to have been destroyed.

In 1939, the Luftwaffe began work on the Me-163, which remains the only rocket powered fighter to ever enter service.

Click here for the full 800x414 image.

Entering combat service in 1944, the Me-163 would take off from a jettisonable wheeled dolly, climb at a 45 degree angle to around 35,000ft, and then make one or two high speed (around 500MPH) passes on Allied bombers before having to glide back to base after running out of ammo and fuel.

The Komet was powered by a rocket engine that ran on a mixture of methanol and hydrazine hydrate (which burn when mixed), which gave the Me-163 an alarming tendency to explode after a hard landing or even when sitting on the ground, since the metal fuel lines tended to develop leaks.

Although the Me-163 was far faster than any Allied fighter and was almost impossible for defensive gunners to hit, it's short flight time and the difficulty in hitting a target at high speeds meant that the Komet only managed to shoot down about 16 Allied bombers during 1944-1945.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The greatest thing about the Nazi super weapons is that despite being so awesome in concept they were so overly complicated, impractical and failure prone that their existence didn't help their war effort. I really wish they'd built a few P. 1000 Ratte's, they would have made great museum pieces.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

The greatest thing about the Nazi super weapons is that despite being so awesome in concept they were so overly complicated, impractical and failure prone that their existence didn't help their war effort. I really wish they'd built a few P. 1000 Ratte's, they would have made great museum pieces.

They didn't help the war effort because they were TOO LATE. If they had been present any earlier in the war...it could have been a turning point.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
All this talk of German aircraft reminded me of one that I can't remember the name of. It was also from WW2, and was special because the undercarriage took up essentially the entire underside of the aircraft. Literally dozens of wheels, small ones. It was made for taking off and landing in rough conditions - really rough. It was allegedly able to roll right over ditches up to 6 feet wide with no issues.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

ApathyGifted posted:

All this talk of German aircraft reminded me of one that I can't remember the name of. It was also from WW2, and was special because the undercarriage took up essentially the entire underside of the aircraft. Literally dozens of wheels, small ones. It was made for taking off and landing in rough conditions - really rough. It was allegedly able to roll right over ditches up to 6 feet wide with no issues.

Arado Ar 232

Why do i know this???

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Flux Wildly posted:

That's awesome, thanks for posting it. The rear crew area of the Vulcan really puts into perspective how tight it was - getting out of there in a hurry without ejector seats must have been scary poo poo.

Back in school our avionics instructor used to be in the RAF as a Vulcan mechanic. The entire course consisted of listening to him tell RAF stories, learning about the whorehouses of the world and new swears. Then before each test he would basically give us the answers then talk about the RAF some more. I think the curriculum was different if there was a girl in the class.

Apparently in the "V-Force", Vulcan crews thought the Valiant and Victor crews were fairies and vice versa.
I actually like the Victor the most but never said it to his face until after i passed the course.

British engineering of the time comprised of all kinds of weird poo poo like pressurized engine bays in the Vulcan...

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 8, 2010

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

tripsevens posted:

Arado Ar 232

Why do i know this???

I don't know, but you're awesome. If it weren't for the fact that I knew about this plane in the first place I'd say that I've never even heard of Arado. I kept searching for Dorniers and Heinkel.

(Heinkel is funny if you keep saying it repeatedly.)

Also, maybe you had those "Aircraft of the World" cards when you were a kid. That's how I know about it.

Edit: Holy poo poo, turns out all those little wheels are in one line, like some insane tandem stretch tandem bicycle.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 8, 2010

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

They didn't help the war effort because they were TOO LATE. If they had been present any earlier in the war...it could have been a turning point.

With most of the German superweapons, putting them into service a couple of years earlier would have done nothing more than possibly prolong the war by a year or two, since the major mistakes Hitler made (failing to close the Atlantic, shifting the bombing of England away from factories and airfields, and invading the USSR) were strategic decisions that technology couldn't have overcome.

The invasion of the USSR was pretty much doomed from the start by Russian winters and Stalin having no qualms about massive casualties in battles. Aside from those factors, Hitler's refusal to allow Nazi troops to retreat from hopeless situations combined with his constant replacement of experienced officers with "yes men" made a bad situation progressively worse, which is something giant guns and rocket powered fighters couldn't change.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

joat mon posted:

CH-37 Mojave

The CH-37 was an impressive aircraft for its time, but even more impressive is the CH-54/S-64 Skycrane developed from it.

Among the many innovations was the rear-facing bubble, which allowed the crane operator an unparalleled view of what he was doing. And modular pods which would strap into the belly, which allowed it to operate as a troop transport or conventional cargo helicopter as well as a sky crane.

I was fortunate enough to see one flying as a kid, and even to sit in the cockpit. It's a massive and extremely impressive machine! As impressive as the Skycrane was, I find it even more impressive that so many modern helicopters can match or exceed this, but get nary an "oh, by the way". For instance, the MV-22 can match its 20,000lb payload capacity, albeit internally vice underslung. (MV-22 only has 15,000lbs underslung payload capacity.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just think the Skycrane looks awesome because it looks like it really is the bare minimum of what needs to be there to call it a helicopter. Not even a goddamn engine cowling.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
THE RUSSIANS ARE COMMING

the chechens shot down a Mi 26 120+ russians soldiers died in the crash

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

grover posted:

I was fortunate enough to see one flying as a kid, and even to sit in the cockpit. It's a massive and extremely impressive machine! As impressive as the Skycrane was, I find it even more impressive that so many modern helicopters can match or exceed this, but get nary an "oh, by the way". For instance, the MV-22 can match its 20,000lb payload capacity, albeit internally vice underslung. (MV-22 only has 15,000lbs underslung payload capacity.)

We get about half a dozen of the skycranes dotted all over the country here in australia each summer.

They spend their time dropping a medium trucks weight in water on bushfires- awesome to watch 9 tonnes of water being dropped at close range by one of them.

Less awesome to have 9 tonnes of water dumped ON you...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I saw one in person as it flew low over my girl's small BC hometown (they use them for logging up there). I got super excited and giddy like a 12 year old and she didn't think it was very interesting :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

azflyboy posted:

With most of the German superweapons, putting them into service a couple of years earlier would have done nothing more than possibly prolong the war by a year or two, since the major mistakes Hitler made (failing to close the Atlantic, shifting the bombing of England away from factories and airfields, and invading the USSR) were strategic decisions that technology couldn't have overcome.

The invasion of the USSR was pretty much doomed from the start by Russian winters and Stalin having no qualms about massive casualties in battles. Aside from those factors, Hitler's refusal to allow Nazi troops to retreat from hopeless situations combined with his constant replacement of experienced officers with "yes men" made a bad situation progressively worse, which is something giant guns and rocket powered fighters couldn't change.

Yes, nonetheless, it would have made quite an impact.

If Hitler HADN'T invaded Russia, he could have actually finished the Battle of Britian victoriously and the War may have been a little different

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SpaceShipTwo made it's first free flight today (click for big):

I like the last shot, it is reminiscent of the classic shot of NASA's NB-52 making a low pass over Bill Dana and his HL-10:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

MrChips posted:

Man, you can even tell it's Burt Rutan from the back. What sideburns :allears:

[e] and I guess the one I assumed was a woman at first is Richard Branson

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trench_Rat posted:

THE RUSSIANS ARE COMMING

the chechens shot down a Mi 26 120+ russians soldiers died in the crash

God I love the Russians :swoon:.....is that wrong since I work for the USAF?

Oh, not to mention the Russians do not do FOD sweep because their engines don't mind the FOD

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They also do a full rebuild every 300 flight hours vs USAF's 10k+ hours.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

They also do a full rebuild every 300 flight hours vs USAF's 10k+ hours.

It's a different doctrine, not just different maintenance schedules. Russians have conscripts doing aircraft maintenance, so they don't do troubleshooting or repairs on the field. The engines run virtually without maintenance for (say) 300 hours, then they simply pull the engines and send them into a central site.

This classic example of commernist centralization probably works best in a world where cruise missiles / stealth bombers don't exist and your central maintenance site won't get blown up on day 1 of the war.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I know it's a whole different mindset, but it's hard to say their engines are better because they're more willing to eat small pebbles.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

but it's hard to say their engines are better because they're more willing to eat small pebbles.

That's exactly why the Jeep 4L is a better engine :colbert:

Ola posted:

It's a different doctrine, not just different maintenance schedules. Russians have conscripts doing aircraft maintenance, so they don't do troubleshooting or repairs on the field. The engines run virtually without maintenance for (say) 300 hours, then they simply pull the engines and send them into a central site.

This classic example of commernist centralization probably works best in a world where cruise missiles / stealth bombers don't exist and your central maintenance site won't get blown up on day 1 of the war.

Y'know, it's weird, but this example of commernist thinking seems to me what Wal-Mart would do if it operated an air force.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

I know it's a whole different mindset, but it's hard to say their engines are better because they're more willing to eat small pebbles.

Yeah and I don't think the pebble statement is very true either. The Soviet have often designed their aircraft with rough runways in mind, either high mounted intakes or FOD doors.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Y'know, it's weird, but this example of commernist thinking seems to me what Wal-Mart would do if it operated an air force.

Chinese stealth invasion. :tinfoil:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
BLUE DAWN

jshoreflyer
Jan 19, 2009

Oh You Wan Taste Rainbow? Skittle No Good Only Rice An Noodle!
Definition of SEXY. THe F-104 leading edge is so sharp they put a foam cover on it so pilots and crew dont cut themselves on it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It makes a special sound at certain throttle settings, a howl that dubbed it "the West Fjord Bull" amongst the people living around Bodø airbase in northern Norway.

You can hear it at 0:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ola posted:

It makes a special sound at certain throttle settings, a howl that dubbed it "the West Fjord Bull" amongst the people living around Bodø airbase in northern Norway.

You can hear it at 0:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY

F-104s make a pretty unique sound when they fly overhead as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaHuns8nr0w

Both this sound and the "Moose Call" are due to how variable guide vanes inside the engine interact with the airflow. I've actually heard this sound in person before (this is going to date me a bit) - at the old Edmonton Air Show. I was maybe three or four years old at the time, but the howl and the terrified reaction of the crowd is one of the few things I remember so clearly from that time of my life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I feel it is only right that we follow up with the F-104s brother, the F-105 Thunder Chief

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Taken at Sheppard AFB

Click here for the full 700x340 image.

When the last F-105s were retired in the late 80's, on their final flight the F-15s relieving them of duty had issues keeping up at full throttle

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

CommieGIR posted:

When the last F-105s were retired in the late 80's, on their final flight the F-15s relieving them of duty had issues keeping up at full throttle

As neato as the F-105 is, I find this hard to believe. The F-15 has more than 50,000 pounds of thrust in full afterburner and nominally weighs about 45,000 pounds, while the F-105 weighs in at 35,000 pounds and has 24,000 pounds of wet thrust. The 105 looks cleaner, sure, but I don't think that can account for it having less than half the engine power.

(fun fact: the F135 engine that goes in the F-35 has been rated at up to 50,000 pounds of thrust by itself. That's as much as the F-15 from a single powerplant in a smaller, lighter airframe, and only 30% less than the F-22 makes with two nearly-as-modern engines.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange lime posted:

As neato as the F-105 is, I find this hard to believe. The F-15 has more than 50,000 pounds of thrust in full afterburner and nominally weighs about 45,000 pounds, while the F-105 weighs in at 35,000 pounds and has 24,000 pounds of wet thrust. The 105 looks cleaner, sure, but I don't think that can account for it having less than half the engine power.

(fun fact: the F135 engine that goes in the F-35 has been rated at up to 50,000 pounds of thrust by itself. That's as much as the F-15 from a single powerplant in a smaller, lighter airframe, and only 30% less than the F-22 makes with two nearly-as-modern engines.)

According to Wikipedia:

The Pratt Whittney F100 engine is only capable of 29,160 ft/lbs of thrust on afterburner.

The Pratt and Whittney J75 is capable of 24,500 ft/lbs with afterburner.

You are probably right, but none the less it hold the record for being able to carry the most on a single engined combat aircraft

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

CommieGIR posted:

According to Wikipedia:

The Pratt Whittney F100 engine is only capable of 29,160 ft/lbs of thrust on afterburner.

The Pratt and Whittney J75 is capable of 24,500 ft/lbs with afterburner.

You are probably right, but none the less it hold the record for being able to carry the most on a single engined combat aircraft

:ssh: there are two engines in the F-15

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange lime posted:

:ssh: there are two engines in the F-15

Oops. I thought he was talking about per engine. My bad

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

routlej1 posted:

That's just awesome. I still can't get over how amazing Concorde was.

I was looking round the cockpit thinking, "complicated, but fairly typical for cockpits of the time I guess", then spotted the four big yellow buttons with the words "REHEAT" printed on them.

Aw yeah.

Is that a fold-down cupholder over the circuit breakers on the left (in front of the jump seat behind the pilot)? No, wait, I think it's an ashtray.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

Is that a fold-down cupholder over the circuit breakers on the left (in front of the jump seat behind the pilot)? No, wait, I think it's an ashtray.

Actually....

I can attest that our C-130Hs have cup-holders in them, one even has an old pencil sharpener installed near the Navs station. I suspect the aircrew installed them

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I believe this is true AI.

Kenyan Does six months intensive research on the internet, then makes his own light aircraft. Here's hoping this one actually makes it up and doesnt end up like the previous two kenyan attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujU1DjaYfs4&

Judging by the nosewheel it could be some time before the aircraft is anywhere near reaching take off speed.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Colonel K posted:

I believe this is true AI.

Kenyan Does six months intensive research on the internet, then makes his own light aircraft. Here's hoping this one actually makes it up and doesnt end up like the previous two kenyan attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujU1DjaYfs4&

Judging by the nosewheel it could be some time before the aircraft is anywhere near reaching take off speed.

That plane looks incredibly heavy. After seeing that it took four guys to pick up the horizontal stabilizer I doubt it will ever fly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/10/russian-moon-mission/?pid=428
Pics of the Soviet lander.

Thing looks like a boiler compared to the Grumman LEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/10/russian-moon-mission/?pid=428
Pics of the Soviet lander.

Thing looks like a boiler compared to the Grumman LEM.

It looks suspiciously like the Lander from Fallout 3 in the Science Museum

Maybe Bethesda copied it