Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The tag-team of Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman was what finally convinced me that wrestling was 100% fake. I could not believe that schlubs like the New Midnight Express wouldn't just walk away crying when those two were coming down the ramp.

Yeah, Shamrock and Blackman most likely would have torn Bart Gunn to shreds and skull hosed Bob Holly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I absolutely love the idea of a Terry Funk/2 Cold Scorpio tag team.

Nobody replied to my question. :(

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CVagts posted:

I absolutely love the idea of a Terry Funk/2 Cold Scorpio tag team.

Nobody replied to my question. :(

I think it's a good idea. Can I make a suggestion for the 1st episode? Raw from May 17, 1993.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

I doubt Tazz would have become close to a main eventer in the WWE. He just wasn't a great worker, and when you are that size you need to be to get a push. His entire mystique was being pushed as this badass shooter who wrecked everybody. If WWE wanted to push someone with a shoot mystique they had Angle at that point. If they wanted a vanilla midget, they had Benoit.

There was no way they were going to push Tazz the way he was pushed in ECW and thus he wasn't going to make it nearly as far.

He didn't look quite as small when he was in ECW, since the average guy there was smaller than the average WWF guy. Once he was in WWF, he just looked like a midget instead of a badass. Also, the WWF suddenly having Benoit, Guerrero, Saturn, and Malenko land in their laps, plus realizing how drat good Kurt Angle was, made them lose interest in Tazz pretty quickly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'll admit that at the peak of Taz in ECW I bought into the hype. It wasn't until he defended the title against Tajiri at Heatwave 99 that I realized "Wait, this guy isn't good at all..."

Tajiri had been having these great matches since he came into the company, and the match was seemingly booked to just have a great match. Instead it was a boring match with a really confusing finish. I was basically left thinking "So you can't have a good match with Tajiri? Ok then."

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I cannot fathom a boring Tajiri match. Tajiri shits charisma.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TenaciousJ posted:

Brown mist?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TenaciousJ posted:

God I loved Tajiri when he was tagging with Mikey Whipwreak and they had the Sinister Minister as their manager. They were one of the few high lights during ECW's dying days. It also did not help that Justin would you like bread sticks with that Credible was champion and the back bone of the entire company.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I don't want to sound stupid, but I do have a question.

I have recently been watching the WWE shows, after not watching wrestling for a long time.

Every time they read notices from the general manager or other announcements, after every phrase, it sounds like the crowd are chanting "WHAAT". Is that real, or are they adding it in? It sounds really fake (sounds the same every time).

It doesn't really affect anything it just sounds weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Haven't watched Raw live for a while, but it's quite likely it's real. Steve Austin had a bit for a while where he'd let his opponent speak, only to cut them off by screaming "WHAT?!" at them, and sometimes he'd even do it to himself. It caught on and now the crowds will often do it when they're annoyed at someone or bored by what they're saying.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

BigHandsVince posted:

I have recently been watching the WWE shows, after not watching wrestling for a long time.

Every time they read notices from the general manager or other announcements, after every phrase, it sounds like the crowd are chanting "WHAAT". Is that real, or are they adding it in? It sounds really fake (sounds the same every time).

Trust me, WWE don't want the "WHAT" chants. They're real. In case you don't know, the WHAT chants are a callback to Steve Austin during his heel phase. He'd use it as a way of intimidating people in his promos and the crowd now use the chants to shout down promos that they don't like.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Oh okay, that makes a bit more sense. Maybe the "fake" sound is due to WWE messing with the mics or something when they chant it.

The last time I watched WWE was around the Austin/Rock feuds, but I admit I can't remember that.

Knowing that I'd probably chant every time they read from that laptop, it's a pretty lame gimmick.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Trust me, WWE don't want the "WHAT" chants. They're real. In case you don't know, the WHAT chants are a callback to Steve Austin during his heel phase. He'd use it as a way of intimidating people in his promos and the crowd now use the chants to shout down promos that they don't like.

I wouldn't be surprised if 60% of the people chanting it don't know where it came from.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Haven't watched Raw live for a while, but it's quite likely it's real. Steve Austin had a bit for a while where he'd let his opponent speak, only to cut them off by screaming "WHAT?!" at them, and sometimes he'd even do it to himself. It caught on and now the crowds will often do it when they're annoyed at someone or bored by what they're saying.

I liked it when turned it into a sing-a-long thing, where he broke up these long rambling promos deliberately for people to shout it.

"Before I came here tonight I went to a bar"
WHAT?
"I said I went to a bar"
WHAT?
"And I drink a beer"
WHAT?
"And then I drank another beer"
WHAT?
"And then I drank a whisky"
WHAT?

I never had any idea where he was going with those promos or why he was making them, but they were fun.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Are there any interviews out there from people involved with either party when Christian left the WWE? Everyone seems to know how it went down, but how do they know?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Pretty sure he did a shoot interview for ROH.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

DannoMack posted:

Are there any interviews out there from people involved with either party when Christian left the WWE? Everyone seems to know how it went down, but how do they know?

I haven't read any full-on interviews but his promos when he first won the TNA title were all in reference to how "No-one thought I could do it. They all said I was too small. They all said I didn't belong in the main event"

It was basically the Chris Jericho WCW problem. Christian got way more over than he was meant to. The crowd were screaming for him to be in the main event but they just kept feeding both him and Jericho to Cena and was then moved off to Smackdown and left to do nothing. At the time, Christian leaving was a huge deal. Imagine the Miz leaving today and you've got an idea of what it was like. This was their big up-and-comer and he walked.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I'm pretty sure for a while his merch was the highest selling also.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

DannoMack posted:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/christianleaves

It doesn't have all the details some claim to have, but it does give a pretty good idea of why he left.

A Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 17, 2010

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

It was basically the Chris Jericho WCW problem. Christian got way more over than he was meant to. The crowd were screaming for him to be in the main event but they just kept feeding both him and Jericho to Cena and was then moved off to Smackdown and left to do nothing. At the time, Christian leaving was a huge deal. Imagine the Miz leaving today and you've got an idea of what it was like. This was their big up-and-comer and he walked.

This puts into perspective that one Cena promo where he retired the rap gimmick, ending it with "Basically, it's not that you aren't on my level, you aren't even on the level below that".

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?
Here's one that bothers me. Why does Dolph Ziggler have to wrestle so well and get stuck with a lovely name like DOLPH ZIGGLER?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if 60% of the people chanting it don't know where it came from.

This is one of the worst parts about it. Not only is it annoying but most of the people that do it probably only do it because they heard other people do it. Around and around we go.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

BigHandsVince posted:

For reference, and really just because I want an excuse to post them again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt7HjdtbeUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7_LreuSY3Y

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

George Kaplan posted:

I liked it when turned it into a sing-a-long thing, where he broke up these long rambling promos deliberately for people to shout it.

"Before I came here tonight I went to a bar"
WHAT?
"I said I went to a bar"
WHAT?
"And I drink a beer"
WHAT?
"And then I drank another beer"
WHAT?
"And then I drank a whisky"
WHAT?

I never had any idea where he was going with those promos or why he was making them, but they were fun.
I'm betting he didn't have a drat clue where he was going either.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Gaz-L posted:

I'm betting he didn't have a drat clue where he was going either.

Dude, it clearly says he went to a bar

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

Sionistic posted:

Well tomorrow when a "WHAT" chant inevitably starts up on Raw I'm gonna think "Well it was worth it."

It'll probably annoy me again by smackdown though.

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

the greatest instance of the WHAT's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmfputDqM7c&feature=related

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Anyone got that link to the Danielson vs Morishima music video set to a rage against the machine song?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

El Axo Grande posted:

They always bring up WCW beating Raw for 50 something straight weeks in the ratings. My question is this. What was the first RAW to beat Nitro and end the streak? What happened on it?

I'm surprised everyone doesn't know this. It's the Raw that began with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkNaFd5bys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1LI89N2sAU

and ended with the main event of Austin vs McMahon for the first time ever.

Here's a great recap of it. http://rspw.org/petrie/980413.txt

quote:

Austin goes on to say that he intends to put the title on the line tonight in a match, and that there can be only one opponent: Vince McMahon himself! The crowd reaction is sheer frenzy.

quote:

McMahon is in the lockerroom being counseled by Jerry Brisco and Pat Patterson. They advise him that Austin is making a fool of him and that he needs to stop it now or he'll never have any control in the WWF again. "I know you can do it!" exclaims Patterson. McMahon paces, pondering his decision.

quote:

Shane McMahon has joined in the conversation in the back, attempting to talk his father out of fighting Austin. "You don't think I can take him?" asks McMahon. Shane compares this match to a time when he was nearly killed speeding on a motorcycle. Brisco and Patterson say they know Vince and think he can beat Austin. Shane says that's a bunch of crap.

Okay, this angle has officially reached the "compelling" level.

quote:

Vince McMahon makes the long walk to the ring alone. He says the WWF has "always been about honor and integrity: qualities sorely lacking in our current World Wrestling Federation Champion. Stone Cold Steve Austin has no honor. Stone Cold Steve Austin has no integrity. I know the decision I'm about to make here tonight would not sit that well with those that have preceded me. Nonetheless, sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. And so in answer to the question 'will I fight Stone Cold Steve Austin in this ring tonight?' The answer is 'oh hell yeah!'" The crowd goes nuts, realizing that they will see the end of Vince McMahon in little more than an hour. Jim Ross begins complaining about McMahon's foolish decision. Patterson and Brisco come out to shake his hand and pat him on the back. Ross leaves the desk, vowing to use what little power he has in the company to stop the match from happening.

quote:

Kevin Kelly gets a few comments from his boss in the back: "I'd be lying to you if I didn't tell you I've got butterflies in my stomach. But afraid? I proved I wasn't afraid of the United States government. I'm sure as hell not afraid of Ted Turner and Time/Warner. I'm not afraid of the big bad wolf. And I sure as hell am not afraid of Stone Cold Steve Austin!" The crowd can actually be heard popping for McMahon after the Turner remark. Commissioner Slaughter has joined Patterson and Brisco in cheering Vince on.

quote:

McMahon, still possessing the lingering vestiges of a huge physique, swaggers to the ring. Ross asks who will run the WWF when McMahon is injured, then exclaims that he just bought a new house and how would he pay off the mortgage if McMahon's demise shuts the company down. Shane comes to the ring and tries one last time to talk his father out of it, but is gently steered from the ring by McMahon and his handlers.

quote:

Comments:

For nearly two hours the WWF engaged in one of the most riveting, compelling storylines ever.

quote:

Ratings ...

Nitro: 4.3 (Hour One: 4.4 / Hour Two: 4.2 / Hour Three: 4.4)
RAW: 4.6 (Hour One: 4.3 / Hour Two: 4.9)
Final Quarter Hour: Nitro: 4.3 / RAW: 6.0 (All-time record.)

If you've checked out some of the wrestling news sites, you've undoubtedly heard that RAW has finally beaten Nitro in the ratings, ending Nitro's winning streak at 83 weeks.

quote:

What they've also done--to some extent--is prove me wrong. I never really thought the WWF could win a ratings battle again without WCW simultaneously suffering a serious slip of their own. Some may argue that that's precisely
what did happen. In a minor way I'd agree, but not to the extent to which I thought would be necessary for Nitro to lose on a Monday night.

quote:

For at least one week the WWF gets to borrow that title from them. For at least one week the numbers bear out what many WWF fans have felt for a long time: that quality matters and that the WWF--like them or not--just may be the "better" of the two promotions on occasion. The ratings may not be the final word on the subject, and they may not prove anything as far as either side goes, but for one week they serve as a validation and vindication of the WWF and their fans. For one week, and perhaps many more to come after that, the WWF is once again in the game on Monday nights.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 18, 2010

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sionistic posted:

This really reminds me of black Pentecostal church service

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The greatest instance of "What" is when Austin cut a promo on RAW about how his strategy for the Royal Rumble was to get fat so he had a lower centre of gravity.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
All this talk of the "What" chant has me wondering how the WWE got crowds to stop doing non-PG type things, such as "Suck It".

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
"rear end in a top hat" was a pretty common chant for a while, too, and now not even a hint!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
One of my favorites is when the crowd would chant "You Suck" to Angle's theme song. That one time when he left the ring and went back up the entrance ramp for multiple do-overs of his entrance is a classic.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
^^^ I just watched this again the other day, nothing short of amazing.

savinhill posted:

All this talk of the "What" chant has me wondering how the WWE got crowds to stop doing non-PG type things, such as "Suck It".
They didn't. DX even did their opening promo including "we've got 2 words for ya!" every time they came out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It just occurred to me that some younger kids really don't know what the two words are since they haven't really been putting it on DX merchandise or saying it directly on the mic. Did a quick google search, and sure enough...

Yahoo Answers posted:

RAW: DX: What r the 2 words they say?

whenever they make a epic ending, they say " if your not down with that, then we got 2 words for ya" ______ ___________, i can never hear those words...

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 18, 2010

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
Just how bad was Mike Adamle or whatever?

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Wiley360 posted:

Jeff Harvey.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Wiley360 posted:

The Taz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wiley360 posted:

He was so bad that 2/3rds of the way into his short career they made his actual terribleness his entire character, especially when he became the GM, so he added nonsense decisions to his repertoire, like the ending of Unforgiven 2008 where Chris Jericho somehow became champion after being destroyed by Shawn Michaels earlier in the evening in a street fight.

Then they fired him.