Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
^What I find strangest about Shake It Up is that it's created by veteran Chris Thompson, who has worked on The Larry Sanders Show and Action. But, since Sanders also worked for Laverne and Shirley, this means we now have a direct link between Disney's tweencom pap and the Milkis-Miller-Boyett output which I think is the closest thing to it as far as predecessors go.

Muppetjedi posted:

Anyone else like Wizards of Waverly place?

I feel about it the same way I do most of the live-action Disney output: horrible writing, great cast. Like most of its ilk, I only find Wizards funny when they make an unexpected joke or reference the target audience probably isn't going to get, like a freeze-frame spell invented by a wizard named Jay Giles or using Diane Sawyer as an alias to go along with Tom Sawyer ("That's obviously fake- that's the name from the Rush song!" "And the classic novel..." "Wow. It was a good song, but I didn't know they made a book out of it."), but I really think Selena Gomez and Jennifer Stone are good actresses who, if they ever break out of Disney, might actually do well with better material (I'm not ashamed to say I actually own an autographed photo of Gomez).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I watched the preview of that new Tower Prep show on Cartoon Network tonight and... I'm actually kinda slightly impressed. Yeah yeah, live action on CN, I know. I was right there with you until I realized two things:

-The show was created by Paul Dini. Children of the 90s, you know what this means.
-The premise is pretty much X-Men: First Class meets The Prisoner, with a dash of The Pretender for good measure.

So worth a three episode test, at least.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Muppetjedi posted:

Anyone else like Wizards of Waverly place?

I don't like it at all. The female lead is an unlikeable bitch and the writing is even more mediocre than you would expect for a show like this.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So I was watching Generator Rex, and I realized he hasn't used his powers to make any machine other than the 7 in the first episode. That, along with the slight Poochy vibe, bugs me.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
^I'd say Dan Schneider's stuff- especially iCarly- is an exception to that rule (although iCarly has been declining in quality a bit as of late- the episode with Jane Lynch as Sam's mom was a particular low point- the character was funnier when alluded to and not shown). Schneider has been writing little routines on Xtranormal recently for some reason- I thought this one where he listens to a fan's ideas was pretty amusing for what it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNGeTuscTU

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This. It makes me sad that live-action stuff for kids (outside of edutainment stuff for the very young like Sesame Street) is almost always unmitigated trash that makes the stuff intended for adults look intelligent and nuanced by comparison.

Well, and I don't even recall the live-action shows from the 90s--Are You Afraid of the Dark, Double Dare, You Can't Say That on Television, Alex Mack--being even half as stupid as the ones they have now.

I've heard iCarly isn't that bad, but I simply can't bring myself to watch it. My brain screams "DISNEY SITCOM, DISNEY SITCOM" until I switch it off.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

mobo85 posted:

^I'd say Dan Schneider's stuff- especially iCarly- is an exception to that rule (although iCarly has been declining in quality a bit as of late- the episode with Jane Lynch as Sam's mom was a particular low point- the character was funnier when alluded to and not shown).

I thought Lynch was a perfect fit for Sam's mom. :colbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And that's why you all need to watch Tower Prep. Kids need more The Prisoner knockoffs :colbert:

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think it has more to do with a shift in trends than anything; in the 90s we had a ton Power Rangers and Goosebumps ripoffs since that was what was popular, nowadays we have a bunch of bland tween comedies and reality shows.

True. Though, I think the Power Rangers still has kitsch appeal, whereas Zack and Cody and Hannah Montana just look painful.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Tartarus Sauce posted:

True. Though, I think the Power Rangers still has kitsch appeal, whereas Zack and Cody and Hannah Montana just look painful.

The Jonas Brothers are the worst of all.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 17, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

sickinwyoming posted:

I thought Lynch was a perfect fit for Sam's mom. :colbert:

I agree as far as choice of casting goes. As far as whether or not Sam's mom should have actually be shown on-screen, I have to agree with David Hinckley of the New York Daily News: "She was funnier in our imagination. When Sam would tell Carly on past shows that Pam had a tattoo of a foot on her foot, that image was far more hilarious than if we had seen an actual tattoo."

...of SCIENCE! posted:

the conspicuous omission of things like cyberstalking or creepy adult fans

True (and it's kind of obvious why they did that), but they certainly have a creepy fan in the form of Mandy. And although it may not be the same thing as cyberstalking, iCarly does have a nemesis who tries to sabotage their show (mainly because Carly refused to kiss him).

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 17, 2010

Bonkfast
Jul 14, 2007
Not into Wizards of Waverly Place. I may watch it with my ex though. Nonetheless, Selena Gomez is a great actress, as I've seen Princess Protection Program (much better than it let on), Another Cinderella Story (you know what you're getting into), and most of all, Ramona and Beezus (IMO, the best film of 2010 so far), and enjoyed her in all of them. Apparently, she is breaking away from Disney, and will be doing a film that looks like it may be for older audiences than all of those (Ramona and Beezus and Another Cinderella Story aren't even Disney, they are respectively 20th Century FOX and Warner Brothers), Monte Carlo. I don't know very much about it though, but I'd like to see it. I mean, obviously since I don't like Wizards, I wouldn't watch Selena Gomez read the phone book, but she has potential.

The only real Disney sitcom I watch is Hannah Montana, and it's an extremely guilty pleasure (though the latest two seasons and the movie seem to be removing that feeling), quite possibly my biggest kids show guilty pleasure, maybe sixth or sevenths overall. I remember liking Phil of the Future too, but I only saw a few episodes a long time ago. But as I said before, Shake It Up may change that. I'm just glad to see that Disney is finally showing that dreams come true if you work at it.

As for Nick's stuff, iCarly and Victorious seem to take a different approach than Disney does, so their sitcoms are much easier to get into. The latter also seems to show the rare "work hard to get what you want" moral, and they seem to base their humor on slapstick, surrounding object jokes, and rapid-fire humor than corny verbal puns like Disney shows do. Disney does seem to be learning this with Sonny with a Chance, but I've only seen one episode - it was cool though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mobo85 posted:

I agree as far as choice of casting goes. As far as whether or not Sam's mom should have actually be shown on-screen, I have to agree with David Hinckley of the New York Daily News: "She was funnier in our imagination. When Sam would tell Carly on past shows that Pam had a tattoo of a foot on her foot, that image was far more hilarious than if we had seen an actual tattoo."

True (and it's kind of obvious why they did that), but they certainly have a creepy fan in the form of Mandy. And although it may not be the same thing as cyberstalking, iCarly does have a nemesis who tries to sabotage their show (mainly because Carly refused to kiss him).

There's also Neville(?) the creepy stalker nerd who keeps trying to thwart them by hacking their poo poo.

But yeah Sam's mom probably was better left off screen, mostly because Sam's home life being really dark was hilarious. Jane Lynch was great, but the show is getting long in the tooth for such a thin premise.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I was refering to Nevel, actually.

Allia
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

Well, and I don't even recall the live-action shows from the 90s--Are You Afraid of the Dark, Double Dare, You Can't Say That on Television, Alex Mack--being even half as stupid as the ones they have now.

Are You Afraid of the Dark seriously rocked, and I still find it creepy to this day. Alex Mack was a fun show. But Double Dare? That and Family Feud and...I think one or two game shows on Nick my mother forbid me to watch because they were too stupid. I mean, sure, I watched them anyways, but she totally snarked them. Come on, "what follows after 'Baa, baa black sheep?'" and none of the teams could get it. Even at like eight I could tell the shows were that lame.

quote:

I think it has more to do with a shift in trends than anything; in the 90s we had a ton Power Rangers and Goosebumps ripoffs since that was what was popular, nowadays we have a bunch of bland tween comedies and reality shows. There's roughly the same ratio of quality-to-crap as always, it's just that we've gone from giant robots and monsters to manufactured real-life drama and wacky misfit families making the same jokes about how wacky they are only THIS time they're [wizards/time travelers/rich/live in the white house/etc], so the inanity is more apparent.

Oh sure, it depends on what is popular. But it seems to me like back then, the crap stuff didn't last as long. Beetleborgs made it, what, one season? If that? Same with VR Troopers... But stuff like Hannah Montana and That's So Raven and all the shows like that are still going strong several years later. Power Rangers just got rebooted and remastered or something like that, but it's still on season...15 or something ridiculous like that, and apparently appeals to modern kids, so I think it's here to stay.

While I wasn't much of a fan of the late 80s/early 90s live action Nick shows, I did enjoy the Disney channel ones. This then reversed itself in the mid nineties, and by the late nineties I was starting to get into prime time shows, and found a lot of the stuff they were showing on Disney and Nick boring (with the exception of stuff like Jett Jackson.)

My brother is 11 and into all the new shows, including stuff like iCarly and Wizards of Waverly Place. To be honest, Wizards of Waverly Place has a premise I would have totally watched and adored back then...but after watching a few episodes, I have to say that I probably would have quit watching pretty quickly. Selena Gomez is a fine actress, but it's the show itself that I wouldn't have liked, with the attitude of the characters (Alexis annoys me terribly, I never liked girls who acted bitchy like that) and there doesn't seem to be any rules for their magic, besides that it seems to backfire whenever it's convenient or inconvenient as the case may be.

I'm kind of annoyed I missed the kidified Disney versions of shows like ER and stuff... It's something I would have really liked at the time. While I would have been old enough to be watching the adult versions, since the shows had been running so long, it would have been a turn off and jumping into the kid versions would have been a nice segue into the adult versions later on. I think that was a good idea, instead of all the stuff they have now. Then again, maybe it's just me -- I always did have a morbid sense of humor, and slap-stick comedy and people being idiots never made me laugh, unless it was in a sarcastic way.

That said, the three kids shows I watch now with any regularity are Unnatural History, Phineas and Ferb and The Penguins of Madagascar, though thinking about it, I couldn't tell you just why I enjoy them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

The Jonas Brothers are the worst of all.
They're exactly like Hanson, except worse and with purity rings. And if you try and tell me that Hanson is good, then you've got '90s nostalgia blinding you.

Allia posted:

But Double Dare? That and Family Feud and...I think one or two game shows on Nick my mother forbid me to watch because they were too stupid. I mean, sure, I watched them anyways, but she totally snarked them. Come on, "what follows after 'Baa, baa black sheep?'" and none of the teams could get it. Even at like eight I could tell the shows were that lame.
Come on, the game shows were awesome, if only because the kids were terrible at them. Nick Arcade was chief among them in both awesomeness and incompetence of the contestants.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
That loving monkey statue in Hidden Temple was the bane of children's existence.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

They're exactly like Hanson, except worse and with purity rings. And if you try and tell me that Hanson is good, then you've got '90s nostalgia blinding you.

Hey, one of the Hanson brothers was involved in making one of my favorite Power Pop CDs.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sometimes I love the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3AH9y_wkk0

"Identify 3 different office supplies."

"A HAMBURGER :downs:"

":ughh:"

Ah, the fashions of the early 90s.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Apparently Darian Morgan wrote an episode of Tower Prep. You may remember him from some of the best episodes of The X-Files including "Humbug" and "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose".

I'm not saying that his episode of Tower Prep is going to be good but yes I am saying that.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Apparently Darian Morgan wrote an episode of Tower Prep. You may remember him from some of the best episodes of The X-Files including "Humbug" and "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose".

I'm not saying that his episode of Tower Prep is going to be good but yes I am saying that.

Once again, I'm amazed that a show this good is a live action CN program. After the poo poo that was the Ben 10 movies, the Scooby-Doo movies, Dude What Would Happen, Destroy Build Destroy (sorry Andrew WK, not even partying could save it), and that one live action/animated show with that guy from Battlebots (so poo poo I forgot the name), having something even slightly above average is shocking.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 19, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Hey I won't hear your slander against Hole in the Wall and Tosh.O hosted by the kid in the PSP commericals.

Allia
Oct 6, 2010

Kipory posted:

That loving monkey statue in Hidden Temple was the bane of children's existence.

Now, Legends in the Hidden Temple was awesome. And the best part was that kids actually won a couple of times. Plus you learned something. I know, I know -- who wants to learn from watching TV? But it seriously was a good show, and yeah, that monkey statue was hard to get. You had to be both somewhat athletic and smart (or have a smart partner) to get to the end.

What was the show they remade in 2000? The one where there are three players (blue, red, purple) and it was all physical. At the end there was this huge mountain you had to climb up and then you got to keep a piece of the "special" rock at the top?

quote:

Come on, the game shows were awesome, if only because the kids were terrible at them. Nick Arcade was chief among them in both awesomeness and incompetence of the contestants.

Never watched Nick Arcade much. Though I always did wonder how they managed to get the kids "in" the video game.

Stupid kids is one thing. Especially under pressure, I can see blurting out the wrong answer. But in shows like Family Feud where the parents are there, and don't know simple nursery rhymes or their colors or some poo poo... *sigh*

Are there any kids game shows on anymore? I'm in Germany at the moment, and I know we have some on TV. But what about in the states? Nick's GAS channel was all reruns, from what I've seen.

What's Tower Prep and is it any good?

Bonkfast
Jul 14, 2007
I missed the debut of Tower Prep on Saturday, but I'll record it tonight. I'd like to try it, but I'm not sure I'm going to like it, or continue to watch it, especially since it runs against Melissa and Joey and Glee. But I'll see - there's always the thousands of cable reruns...

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

AICN.com has a review of Tower Prep.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Allia posted:

What was the show they remade in 2000? The one where there are three players (blue, red, purple) and it was all physical. At the end there was this huge mountain you had to climb up and then you got to keep a piece of the "special" rock at the top?

GUTS! (and Global Guts!)

Also the Aggrocraig was not merely "special," it was an aggressive rock.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cliff Racer posted:

GUTS! (and Global Guts!)

Also the Aggrocraig was not merely "special," it was an aggressive rock.

That's right, and for confirmation let's go down to the floor TAKEITAWAY MO!

Admit it, when you were 10 you'd kill for a chance to be on that show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I find it awesome that Mo did voices for characters on Stroker and Hoop.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Allia posted:

Now, Legends in the Hidden Temple was awesome. And the best part was that kids actually won a couple of times. Plus you learned something. I know, I know -- who wants to learn from watching TV? But it seriously was a good show, and yeah, that monkey statue was hard to get. You had to be both somewhat athletic and smart (or have a smart partner) to get to the end.

The thing is, the kids always managed to get the three pieces to the SHRINE OF THE SILVER MONKEY

They just couldn't figure out in which order you place LEGS, BODY, and HEAD

Allia
Oct 6, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Admit it, when you were 10 you'd kill for a chance to be on that show.

Oh sure. Until I realized how much I sucked at sports.

quote:

The thing is, the kids always managed to get the three pieces to the SHRINE OF THE SILVER MONKEY

Not always. I remember several episodes where the kids only got one piece or none at all. There was one episode, iirc, where it was ridiculous -- the kids got nabbed like right away by the Temple Guards and I think they only made it into one room total.

Then there were the lovely episodes where they finished the monkey, but weren't quick enough to bring it out or something. I don't quite remember how it ended, but yeah. How must it feel to be that close the end and not make it through?

They should remake that show. It would be awesome.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Sockser posted:

I think I remember someone posting an article, back when we had the "Manchild Mansion" rotating subforum, with the host where he actually talks about how many people complain about kids messing up the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. He says it's really a long day, and by the end the kids are all really tired and have no idea what the hell is goin on. Also, they probably taped the show over a period that was much shorter than the period that it aired, and the kids probably didn't have the benefit of watching the show before.

Anyway, I think I realize why I, and just about everyone who watched the show, thought they could have won. It's because everyone pictures themselves running it from the side, 3rd person, zoomed out, with a mini-map in the lower-right corner of their field of vision.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just a heads-up for the people watching: we have a Tower Prep thread if you want to post your impressions.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember an Ask/Tell thread where somebody posted about being a contestant on Nickelodeon Guts. Obviously I picked the low-hanging fruit and asked if Mike O'Malley did blow on the set.

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
^^ Did they actually answer?

How long was Legends of the Hidden Temple on anyways? I want to say it was on for years, but it could be that it was just reruns that kept on being aired. Plus I imagine even if you know the layout of the Temple from being a fan of the show, the whole exhaustion/being filmed/being timed is enough to really stress someone out, especially since most of the kids were fairly young. I don't think any of the kids were over 12, and I imagine that most were younger.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Had to be at least two seasons since they changed some of the rooms around. That show was really popular though, I don't see why they would cancel it. Hell I even saw a LotHT parade float at homecoming this year.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Allia posted:

^^ Did they actually answer?

How long was Legends of the Hidden Temple on anyways? I want to say it was on for years, but it could be that it was just reruns that kept on being aired. Plus I imagine even if you know the layout of the Temple from being a fan of the show, the whole exhaustion/being filmed/being timed is enough to really stress someone out, especially since most of the kids were fairly young. I don't think any of the kids were over 12, and I imagine that most were younger.

Not to mention a temple guard could pop out at any moment. It'd nearly scare the poo poo out of me just watching it (I was little okay!), and a lot of the kids looked like they were about to have a heart attack whenever they did jump out. I'd imagine after a long show, it'd be tough to focus by the end with your adrenaline still pumping. Ah Nickelodeon. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Wasn't there a kid who bolted out of the entire temple when a temple guard caught him/her?