Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Long Wang posted:

Someone told me that WD-40 shouldn't be used as a lubricant on metal because it's water based and will eventually cause rusting. Is this true?

Don't trust the person who told you that because they are hilariously mistaken. It makes about as much sense as saying the reason people get electrocuted when wet is because electricity is made of water.

DELETED posted:

It shouldn't be used to lubricate things because it attracts a lot of dirt and debris, and doesn't really work out well in the long term.

If this is true for wd-40, then it is 100 times true for grease, which is the usual other option.

WD-40 is great for freeing bolts other slightly rusty bits.

Anything that can get rusty needs grease in the ideal, but unsealed grease makes for short life span for moving metal parts because the grease traps hard bits of rock and whatnot and then acts like an abrasive.

WD-40 is a reasonable alternative, because it does not attract dirt compared to the alternative (grease), and because it is quick and easy. But if you can spray it with wd-40 it is open to the elements and thus it will rust. In other words, things that get rusty, get rusty. And there is little that can be done to stop it in many cases. WD-40 is much better than nothing, but it will need to be applied many times. And compared to grease it is much better for exposed moving parts. If they are non-moving parts marine grease is great for preventing corrosion, but incredibly messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
How does graphite tend to fare in these situations? All I really know is that my dad had a tube of the stuff he kept around the house when I was little, and used it to lubricate the door hinges when they'd stick or squeak.

Thanks for the Lands End suggestion. I went down to Sears to try out a few sizes and colors, then ordered online for a better price.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Gravity Pike posted:

How does graphite tend to fare in these situations? All I really know is that my dad had a tube of the stuff he kept around the house when I was little, and used it to lubricate the door hinges when they'd stick or squeak.

Yeah, graphite and solid wax are great. Especially in things like locks where both grease and WD-40 will muck things up to the point of non-functioning. But they are both pretty useless for rusted stuff.

Brass bits don't really rust*, so there's no need for WD-40 or grease. Plus graphite is specifically good for locks which need lubricants with no shear strength (mostly solid lubricants).

Using WD-40 or grease on non rusting parts is pointless at best, and destructive at worst.

(But I live in violently corrosive environments (atomized salt water), so everything rusts or corrodes. Titanium is my friend.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Home improvement question!

I have a bunch of tall bookshelves, and I want to secure them to the wall with earthquake straps. Do I have to screw them into a wall stud, or will it be okay if I just screw them into drywall?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Steve Yun posted:

Home improvement question!

I have a bunch of tall bookshelves, and I want to secure them to the wall with earthquake straps. Do I have to screw them into a wall stud, or will it be okay if I just screw them into drywall?

Absolutely not. Even with anchors it's still not very safe considering the kinds of "pull" force that may be put on the screw.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

how can I fight/prevent dandruff without shampoo?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Without shampoo specifically made to combat dandruff, or without any shampoo?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

wigtrade.cc posted:

Shave your head.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

wigtrade.cc posted:

There's an entire thread on ditching shampoo right here in A/T. There are multiple suggestions on how to fight dandruff without shampoo in the thread, and one might work for you.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Where can I get a really cheap Beethoven bust? It's mainly so that I'll have somewhere funny to keep my knit-hat and/or snowboarding goggles when I'm not wearing them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

change my name posted:

Where can I get a really cheap Beethoven bust? It's mainly so that I'll have somewhere funny to keep my knit-hat and/or snowboarding goggles when I'm not wearing them.
This seems right up your alley.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah that seems like exactly what I want, thanks!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

change my name posted:

That one's only a foot tall, you likely can't hang anything on it.

Everything I'm finding in hat hanging size seems to be about $150.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

change my name posted:

Get Chopin instead. His hair looks dashingly windswept!

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I recently saw a quote that basically said "Do what you are best at, even if you are not the best at what you do". Something about utilizing your talents. It is NOT the Franklin quote "Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?"

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

The Aphasian posted:

I recently saw a quote that basically said "Do what you are best at, even if you are not the best at what you do". Something about utilizing your talents. It is NOT the Franklin quote "Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?"

Sounds to me like it could be a Zig Ziglar quote.

Dubious Merit
Apr 25, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

Female exotic dancers almost always smell like coconut. What do male strippers smell like generally? Hollister or Axe or something?

I've been pressed into service as designated driver for two different Chippendales events, and from that small sample I can tell you so do the guys. Maybe not so much, though. Perhaps it's a lotion they favor? Those fellows were pretty damp-looking.

Also they like to take your hand and put it on their shaven chest and it's so creepy.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
It's usually the combination of self-tanner + baby powder.

The reasons are fairly obvious, but in case you need it spelled out, the self-tanner is so they look more tan, the baby powder is to prevent rash from all that friction (lotta rubbing).

Don't ask me how I know.

Dubious Merit
Apr 25, 2007

It wasn't originally my question, but I'd like to thank you without irony for choosing to share the burden of this knowledge. I like to know more about how things work.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
What is it that causes some tissues to be much more prone to cancer than others, aside from obvious carcinogen exposure? Perhaps better-phrased, breast and prostate cancer have enormous prevalence compared to, say, kidney cancer. Why is that?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Is there a verb in the English language that means "to make something exciting"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Binowru posted:

Is there a verb in the English language that means "to make something exciting"?

"Enliven"?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
In my work I come across a lot of names of people living in Australia (I'm in the US). Really frequently I'll see someone whose first and last names are the same, like "Saia Saia" etc and it's definitely not a typo. I can't think of any other examples, but I see them pretty often. I'm assuming this is standard naming practice somewhere in the Pacific, is that right? Any idea which island/country they're from?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Binowru posted:

"Energize" and things of that sort.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

chachu posted:

In my work I come across a lot of names of people living in Australia (I'm in the US). Really frequently I'll see someone whose first and last names are the same, like "Saia Saia" etc and it's definitely not a typo. I can't think of any other examples, but I see them pretty often. I'm assuming this is standard naming practice somewhere in the Pacific, is that right? Any idea which island/country they're from?

Indonesia.

I'm in Australia and the girl at my work is for this example is called Surabati (dont want to use her real name). She doesn't have a surname but to fill out any form you NEED one (system explodes if you dont). Like anything that is input with a computer doesnt cope with no surname.

So she often just doubles up on her name.

I wouldn't be surprised if theres a few other south east asian countries that dont have surnames.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Indonesia.

I'm in Australia and the girl at my work is for this example is called Surabati (dont want to use her real name). She doesn't have a surname but to fill out any form you NEED one (system explodes if you dont). Like anything that is input with a computer doesnt cope with no surname.

So she often just doubles up on her name.

I wouldn't be surprised if theres a few other south east asian countries that dont have surnames.

Thanks! This is exactly what I figured was going on. :)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I want to buy a domain name thats myname.com but it appears to be taken by some affiliate marketing website that looks like its just parked on it.

How do I go about purchasing this domain? I can't seem to find any contact details on the website but I did find this site http://bloggerspayback.com/

Unless the owner actually shares my name and is using that to setup his affiliate marketing website but theres no mention of the name anywhere on the site.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I rip a song from a youtube video of dubious quality, is there anyway to touch it up? Like somehow making it sound less grainy, evening out the highs, etc. An original song, not something that'd count as pirating if that makes a difference.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fists Up posted:

I want to buy a domain name thats myname.com but it appears to be taken by some affiliate marketing website that looks like its just parked on it.

How do I go about purchasing this domain? I can't seem to find any contact details on the website but I did find this site http://bloggerspayback.com/

Unless the owner actually shares my name and is using that to setup his affiliate marketing website but theres no mention of the name anywhere on the site.

Most likely the owner of the domain is some internet marketing company that buys up domains that may be valuable, to sell to people like you who will pay lots of money to get a domain name of your real name.

Go to https://www.who.is and punch in the domain name. This will tell you the whois information, and will provide contact information such as Individual/Company name, address, phone and email.

You can try contacting them via email or phone and ask how much the domain would be to purchase. In case of fistnamelastname.com domains expect to be given a sum of several thousand dollars in order to purchase the domain from this person/company.

If the .net or .org (or even a cool domain hack) is available, just get that instead.

You can PM me the domain if you need more help.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

What is it that causes some tissues to be much more prone to cancer than others, aside from obvious carcinogen exposure? Perhaps better-phrased, breast and prostate cancer have enormous prevalence compared to, say, kidney cancer. Why is that?

There is some evidence that at least for breast cancer, there is some correlation to impact injuries. Boobies stick out, thus they get bumped because there is not enough muscle/bone tissue there for fully developed proprioreception, they say.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I acccidentally upgraded my itunes to iTUnes 10, and the arrows that used to link me to various things (itunes store, my own library) have disappeared.

Does anyone know how to make them reappear?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kapalama posted:

I acccidentally upgraded my itunes to iTUnes 10, and the arrows that used to link me to various things (itunes store, my own library) have disappeared.

Does anyone know how to make them reappear?

You didn't say what OS you are using.

Mac instructions:
http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/17753/Arrow-behavior-in-iTunes-10.0.1

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Arriviste posted:

Sounds to me like it could be a Zig Ziglar quote.

I don't think that was it, but as I can't remember even part of a phrase I'm not exactly helpful.

I thought it would be a funny quote to hang in a doctor's office.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

You didn't say what OS you are using.

Mac instructions:
http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/17753/Arrow-behavior-in-iTunes-10.0.1

You are a god among men/women/children. Search was getting me nowhere.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
What is the music in this video, specifically the second section? I'd try to search by lyrics, but as far as I can tell the singer is mostly repeating some sort of musical scale.

Edit: nvm, the youtube comments helped for once. Music by Jean Michel Jarre apparently.

One of a Kind fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 20, 2010

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I had a friend who recently got married. I couldn't make the wedding and I want to buy both of them a gift. I know the husband well, but the wife I don't know too much about her. I was thinking about a hers/his gift. I am getting the husband either a Gerber or Leatherman multitool, I am not sure what to get the lady. I don't like giving people "pretty" gifts, I like giving people stuff they can use.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

b0nes posted:

I had a friend who recently got married. I couldn't make the wedding and I want to buy both of them a gift. I know the husband well, but the wife I don't know too much about her. I was thinking about a hers/his gift. I am getting the husband either a Gerber or Leatherman multitool, I am not sure what to get the lady. I don't like giving people "pretty" gifts, I like giving people stuff they can use.

Did they have a registry? Also, did they just move in together/buy a house when they got married or did they already live together?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

chachu posted:

Did they have a registry? Also, did they just move in together/buy a house when they got married or did they already live together?

I am not sure if they had a registry, I can ask his sister. They didn't live together. He had a condo and she moved in with him after they got married.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

b0nes posted:

I am not sure if they had a registry, I can ask his sister. They didn't live together. He had a condo and she moved in with him after they got married.

In that case I think I'd maybe opt for a household gift, but not an appliance. I don't know what kind of people they are, but maybe a set of nice martini glasses? I would have loved to get that as a gift. Definitely check for a registry first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

how do I get the smell of dishwashing (sponges and dishsoap) from my hands? handwashing isn't working