Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If Marc has an interview with Ira Glass he should loving post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

DangerDummy! posted:

I really don't like Besser on CDR. I'll give him all the credit in the world for being in UCB and all, but any time I've seen or heard him solo he's been pretty terrible. His Kanye East (ahahahaha it's a Jap version of Kanye West!) schtick during one of the Cyber Thug takeover shows was really loving painful. Cyber Thug's not one of my favorites anyway, which is weird since I'm a big fan of Jerry Minor, but that one was especially bad.

I actually posted my feelings on the CDR facebook page and was surprised to not get get buried with hateful responses. MY FEELINGS!!!

I try not to comment on Besser too much because a friend of mine was the subject of his wrath in the NY Comedy scene a while back. (Basically said anyone who performed at this show he considered insulting to his friends on SNL was banned from performing at the UCB NY) He also had a really bad rep when I was taking classes at the UCB. I've heard enough horror stories about him from his former students to be guarded when he's performing. I actually liked the Kanye East thing because it was so over the top. However I didn't really get the Zuckerburg thing. It was just kind of random.

In good news a NEW CDR popped up today as if to make up for the last one!
Episode 76.1 - Zach Galifianakis, Paul F. Tompkins, Dillon Campbell

Paul F Tompkins & Scott Aukerman both tweeted about it last night I guess. Hooray.

Also the latest episode of Lou Reads is up if you want to hear my dulcet tones.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

King Lou posted:

I try not to comment on Besser too much because a friend of mine was the subject of his wrath in the NY Comedy scene a while back. (Basically said anyone who performed at this show he considered insulting to his friends on SNL was banned from performing at the UCB NY) He also had a really bad rep when I was taking classes at the UCB. I've heard enough horror stories about him from his former students to be guarded when he's performing. I actually liked the Kanye East thing because it was so over the top. However I didn't really get the Zuckerburg thing. It was just kind of random.

Aww, man. I actually like Besser for the most part, but it's disappointing when I hear something like this. :sigh: I was not impressed with Zuckerburg. Kanye East was ok, and I actually liked that british character he played especially during would you rather. Or shall I say "Would You Prefer!" Pardo-ism of the day, "I got a real nice charge out of it" :)

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
CDR was really awesome today. Normally i'm kinda iffy about Andrew Lloyd Webber, but he was hilarious today. And the Would You Rather at the end is easily in the top 5 ever.

DLM is also awesome so far. Not a huge Jackass fan, but i'm digging Wee Man.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
The bad rep Besser has is kind of warranted and kind of overblown. He does take improv/comedy very seriously and is demanding of students (where he comes off like a dick if you have sensitive feelings), but he's not an ogre. He's just a comedy hardass with high standards who is a bit of an eccentric.

And I loved Kanye East, too. It was one of those "so dumb it's great" things.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
One of my all time favorite CDR's is when Besser was playing Bjork and was just kind of whispering really weird, mean things about people (ep also had Steve Agee and some chick I can't recall).

And his british podcaster character from a month or so ago, who hosted Human Laser Beam radio, was pretty good.

I could see how Besser could be a hardass, but he's hilarious, reminds me of Bob Oedenkirk (who is also one of my favorite guests).

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
WTF with Marc Maron got disturbing today. Jonathan Ames telling the stump story... Eghghghhh... This is one of those things where you might tell someone, "Hey, check out WTF", and they decide to start today, and then look at you like you're some dangerous pervert.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
The CDR bonus episode today with Zach and PFT is amazing.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Stumbled into Never Not Funny just as they posted a "full" episode with Jon Hamm. Holy poo poo, this epic. Anyone have the Primo - is it guest-dependent, or is the 90 minute version always this strong?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Oh man Zach Galifianakis is the best guest because he is also the worst guest. Half the time he does any sort of performance, including his stand-up, he's doing Kaufman schtick and is intentionally difficult and self-loathing. He has an amazing stand-up special which is him drunkedly bombing intercut with a interview with his gay twin brother (also played by Galifianakis) about their estranged relatioship.

Also PFT really sells those impressions.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

The Modern Leper posted:

Stumbled into Never Not Funny just as they posted a "full" episode with Jon Hamm. Holy poo poo, this epic. Anyone have the Primo - is it guest-dependent, or is the 90 minute version always this strong?

It's well worth getting the primo IMO. It's guest oriented, but they almost never get too "interviewy". The Jon Hamm episode was pretty much all conversation and improv which made for wild laughter from my dumb rear end in my cubicle.

That being said, NNF sometimes has its clunkers like anyone else *cough*Greg Fitzsimmons*cough*, but there's always a good amount of funny in even those ones.

Edit: In other news, I cut loose The Joe Rogan Experience. It needs better guests because unlike NNF, Joe and his "Brahs" really can't hold their own. Maybe Joe could with a guest, Adam Carolla style, but he won't change the format. At least he's doing what he wants. V :( V

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 15, 2010

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

NecronSchmecron posted:

That being said, NNF sometimes has its clunkers like anyone else *cough*Greg Fitzsimmons*cough*, but there's always a good amount of funny in even those ones.

See, I liked the Fitzsimmons episode if just for how crazy and different it was. Like, after listening to dozens of episodes in the same style, this was such a sharp right turn that it was both jarring and intriguing.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Satire Forum Mom posted:

The bad rep Besser has is kind of warranted and kind of overblown. He does take improv/comedy very seriously and is demanding of students (where he comes off like a dick if you have sensitive feelings), but he's not an ogre. He's just a comedy hardass with high standards who is a bit of an eccentric.

And I loved Kanye East, too. It was one of those "so dumb it's great" things.

Besser may has softened. I have never taken a class with him. But he was famous for priding himself in making at least one student cry or quit his class when I was taking classes. I've been coached by many of his former students who spoke about the classes as being ordeals. I was involved in the show he decided to point his anger and UCB banning at and it was not pretty. It was almost as dumb as when Armando & Ali started the PIT and people were banned from performing there by the UCB. Anyway Besser's rage basically ruined the show which was called (Saturday Night Re-Written) and made the guy who ran it decide to quit comedy. It really broke his heart. So I'm biased.

DLM was pretty drat funny today as was CDR. A great day for comedy!

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

NecronSchmecron posted:

Edit: In other news, I cut loose The Joe Rogan Experience. It needs better guests because unlike NNF, Joe and his "Brahs" really can't hold their own. Maybe Joe could with a guest, Adam Carolla style, but he won't change the format. At least he's doing what he wants. V :( V

I watched the podcast he recently did with Tom Green and I just did not enjoy it at all. I love Rogan as UFC commentator and his standup is pretty good, but the whole show just seemed like lame stoner philosophy. Joe started talking about self mummification and was like "This is REAL! PEOPLE DO THIS!" And then Tom was like "That sounds crazy man." and Joe said "Well I dunno if it's real I just read it on the internet". Then the co-host googled it, found that it was a real term, and Joe is like "See it's real!!"

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Strange Matter posted:

He has an amazing stand-up special which is him drunkedly bombing intercut with a interview with his gay twin brother (also played by Galifianakis) about their estranged relatioship.

That interview is great, what was the song that he and Seth bonded over?

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
The Fugees. Just the one song though he didn't like the rest of them

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Every time I feed my dog I think of Zach. That draws me in more than any song. It's always Fugees and Funyuns.

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!
The only podcasts I listen to on a regular basis are This American Life (which can be funny sometimes, but is definitely not a comedy-oriented podcast) and the Grapes of Rad (as of right now they have a semi-:nws: picture posted at the top of the homepage, so click cautiously).

It's two guys (both ex-missionaries) out of Seattle who get together every week to share stories and discuss random topics. Aside from personal stories and off-topic discussions, they share (usually borderline insane) news that they have either found or that a listener had sent in. These news stories are put into segments with their own titles such as:

This Week in Awful Driving
You're Doing It Wrong
Listener Email of the Week
That's Messed Up
Badass of the Week
Video Prozac

They also have a Google Voice voicemail set up that you can call and leave messages on. If they like it enough or if it's ridiculous enough, they play it on the show. I'll warn you though, they are a little bit "morning zoo"-esque and may rant a little bit about how hosed up something is. One of the hosts could easily be a voice actor, which results in a lot of reoccurring "characters" showing up in various episodes.

Give them a listen.

internetpizza fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 15, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

redz posted:

It's always Fugees and Funyuns.

nod, nod

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wyld Cannon posted:

One of my all time favorite CDR's is when Besser was playing Bjork and was just kind of whispering really weird, mean things about people (ep also had Steve Agee and some chick I can't recall).
Oh god that was hilarious, that was one of my favorite character bits they've done on the show. Natasha Leggero is the other guest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLDIKsWmSKw

edit: it really makes it even funnier if you're familiar with the infamous Billy Bob Thornton interview from a year or so ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 16, 2010

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
This may be a little off-topic, but is anyone else having trouble registering to the Friends of Tom message board? (Scharpling's Best Show forum)

I signed up, and got an email saying that an admin would have to approve the account, and I never heard anything back. I tried to different e-mail addresses to no avail.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Wyld Cannon posted:

lame stoner philosophy.

Unfortunately that's what you're gonna get with Rogan. Sometimes it's lame and boring and sometimes it's great. I still listen because some good stuff happens on that show. It's kind of sad that the more I think of it, Brian Redban can be pretty funny, but I don't think he could carry a show himself. Joey Diaz is HILARIOUS though.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Strange Matter posted:

He has an amazing stand-up special which is him drunkedly bombing intercut with a interview with his gay twin brother (also played by Galifianakis) about their estranged relatioship.

It's called "Live at the Purple Onion", and it's a masterpiece. (available streaming on Netflix)

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
I think I've mentioned before, but these guys on The Podcast Eating Contest are funny as hell. To bring up a cliche, I was laughing so hard on the bus that people were looking at me. They only have 5 or 6 episodes, so you can check them out easily. They're like if UYD was sillier and they were quick to play off of each other more. Groundfloor.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Just noticed that The Nerdist is the guest on the current Greg Fitzsimmons podcast.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I think I've mentioned before, but these guys on The Podcast Eating Contest are funny as hell. To bring up a cliche, I was laughing so hard on the bus that people were looking at me. They only have 5 or 6 episodes, so you can check them out easily. They're like if UYD was sillier and they were quick to play off of each other more. Groundfloor.

I just listened to the newest one and holy gently caress the ending is the funniest thing I've ever heard :aaa:

Highly recommend this.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

It's called "Live at the Purple Onion", and it's a masterpiece. (available streaming on Netflix)
I'd never even heard of it before a few weeks ago, but be sure to check out the EP 'Patton vs. Alcohol vs. Zach vs. Patton', too. The title pretty much describes it.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

King Lou posted:

I actually posted my feelings on the CDR facebook page and was surprised to not get get buried with hateful responses. MY FEELINGS!!!

In good news a NEW CDR popped up today as if to make up for the last one!
Episode 76.1 - Zach Galifianakis, Paul F. Tompkins, Dillon Campbell

Paul F Tompkins & Scott Aukerman both tweeted about it last night I guess. Hooray.

Also the latest episode of Lou Reads is up if you want to hear my dulcet tones.

Lou, where do you work that you can record this stuff there?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

It's funny, but it feels like they must take two hours to make an episode: You can really hear the breaks in the recording--sometimes mid-sentence.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

WoG posted:

check out the EP 'Patton vs. Alcohol vs. Zach vs. Patton'

Holy Mary Mother of God, this sounds SO amazing!

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The Modern Leper posted:

It's funny, but it feels like they must take two hours to make an episode: You can really hear the breaks in the recording--sometimes mid-sentence.

That's fine by me. I have no problem with people putting in some effort.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

That's fine by me. I have no problem with people putting in some effort.

Exactly. I find a lot of those 2+ hour podcasts that don't have guests really could use some editing. Good on them. I've downloaded The Podcast Eating Contest but I haven't heard it yet. I got it based solely on the awesome name. :hellyeah:

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

NecronSchmecron posted:

I've downloaded The Podcast Eating Contest but I haven't heard it yet. I got it based solely on the awesome name. :hellyeah:

If nothing else, the "Name a song and I'll sing it in the style of Michael MacDonald" segment will floor you.

e: vvvv Um... yeah vvvvv

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 18, 2010

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Have you heard of "edit"?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Econosaurus posted:

Lou, where do you work that you can record this stuff there?

I work at a University where I have a lovely office where my desk faces an open door. Sometimes I am here alone for hours on end... nude...

I'm actually very lucky that I have the time to do it here. It doesn't take all that long to record. Maybe an hour or so. That doesn't include having to read so much garbage on the forums I go to. Luckily the internet here isn't censored! I usually record from home though.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Doug Benson on the latest Sklarbro Country is really good. I love all the "behind the curtain" shop-talk. I really like Sklarbro Country over CDR these days because it's so quick and punchy. They make that hour fly.

The Banned
Jun 11, 2005
"My witness is the empty sky."
Seeing Marc Maron with the girlfriend tomorrow at Trees in Dallas. I'm pretty excited. Haven't seen a show there since I saw Arcade Fire in late '04 or early '05, can't remember. Any other goons going?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
This DLM with Wee Man has to be one of the most consistently funny episodes I've heard. Totally wasn't expecting it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

caveman thug poo poo posted:

This DLM with Wee Man has to be one of the most consistently funny episodes I've heard. Totally wasn't expecting it.

Unless it was a total goof (it probably was) he went down, or "up" as he calls it, on Christy Canyon on Playboy Radio. He's a really fun and charming guy. They might be idiots, but the Jackass guys are nothing if not entertaining interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Rudy Riot posted:

Doug Benson on the latest Sklarbro Country is really good. I love all the "behind the curtain" shop-talk. I really like Sklarbro Country over CDR these days because it's so quick and punchy. They make that hour fly.

I really don't care for the Sklar bros. too much. Last time they performed at my school, they did CDR the day after. The entire episode they just grabbed bits from their show. It was embarrassing.

• Locked thread