Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

thehustler posted:

What's the matter? Scared of intelligent people?

It doesn't take itself too seriously and indeed takes the piss out of itself for being like that. When you get a question right sat on the sofa watching it it actually feels good.
Thanks to your recommedation of where to see more Victoria I checked it out today. Thought it was quite fun. I watched episode 2 where it was the Wrights against the Urban Walkers. The guy on the right on the Urban Walkers team did not answer a single thing, just basically stood there like a div for 30 mins.

And maybe its the lighting or she is just trying to look more serious but Viccy doesnt look anywhere near as hot as she does when she is a guest on other shows.

She needs to whore it up on that program too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selma_Alabama
Sep 9, 2010
Victoria Coren has the most annoying (nasal?) voice. Only thing stopping me from watching Only Connect.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Graviton v2 posted:

My god Victoria Coren is fit.

That is all.

She is, but her voice really grates on me :(

e: yeah, what he said^

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

thehustler posted:

What's the matter? Scared of intelligent people?

It doesn't take itself too seriously and indeed takes the piss out of itself for being like that. When you get a question right sat on the sofa watching it it actually feels good.

Oh ha, ha. I mean it's not bad, I just hate Victoria Cohen which is probably why I don't like the program.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

A Humble Narcissist posted:

I just hate Victoria Cohen
You heathen, how can you possibly hate a natural blonde with a nice arse who plays poker?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
"Somebody complained that choosing Greek letters was too pretentious, so please choose your Hieroglyph" :v:

I'd go even more gay for Victoria Coren.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ok, which goon was it on The Secret Millionaire last night?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Was it a mention of stairs?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dell_Zincht posted:

I like Secret Millionaire but I can't help but feel that Adam and Joe were right and it's creating a huge amount of false hope among charitable organizations whenever someone wants to film something about them.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

There was a trailer for the new series of Misfits during Inbetweeners last night. Hooray! It's about time.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Akuma posted:

There was a trailer for the new series of Misfits during Inbetweeners last night. Hooray! It's about time.

'YOU loving BURIED ME ALIVE YOU DICKS!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!' Not actually seen the show, but I thought that was lame-as-hell. In a kind of lovable way.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Akuma posted:

Yeah! I almost poo poo myself with glee

just got done watching the first season again the other day, can't wait.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I take it Simon got closure with Carli dumping him via text in the last episode? and Neils reaction to his post STD news was the happiest a man could be.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I take it Simon got closure with Carli dumping him via text in the last episode? and Neils reaction to his post STD news was the happiest a man could be.
Simon seemed to be happy when he got the text, I don't think he got dumped.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Only Connect has has such a great range of variety of connections. Sometimes it's fairly hardcore quiz stuff, but a few weeks ago they had "Simon Belmont, Father Callaghan, Buffy Summers, Van Helsing" almost immediately followed by "Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Reptile, Shao Kahn". It's not pretentious, it's quite clearly taking the piss.

This was the exact same episode as I watched. It was great watching them being clueless about the Mortal Kombat characters.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

A Humble Narcissist posted:

Oh ha, ha. I mean it's not bad, I just hate Victoria Cohen which is probably why I don't like the program.

I find her unbearable too. Again I think it's the voice, and that drivel she writes in the Guardian.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
:siren: Never Mind The Buzzcocks starts this Thursday at 10 on BBC 2 :siren:

Guest host: Mark Ronson

Guests: Alesha Dixon, Tinie Temper, Paul Foot, 'Mollie From The Saturdays'

Phill Jupitus also tweeted a picture of a publicity still from an episode hosted by Terry Wogan, which I dunno I think will basically be awesome: http://yfrog.com/71t0bj

Yes that's James Blunt, but that's okay because he was actually pretty drat funny when he appeared on Top Gear and seems like a fun enough guy in real life.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Adrianics posted:

:siren: Never Mind The Buzzcocks starts this Thursday at 10 on BBC 2 :siren:

HOLY SHITDICKING CHRIST

It's a shame they're going with guest hosts again, but on the other hand, who could take over really?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I can't hate James Blunt, his music is annoying but he was a goddamn Tank Captain who became a musician.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

reflir posted:

HOLY SHITDICKING CHRIST

It's a shame they're going with guest hosts again, but on the other hand, who could take over really?

No-one, it needs to be killed off ASAP. It's tired and stale and you can tell that even Phil doesnt give a gently caress anymore. He's probably only still there for the regular paycheck.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Nope sorry I wanna see some indie twerp and a day time tv nobody pick people out of line-ups forever.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kin posted:

No-one, it needs to be killed off ASAP. It's tired and stale and you can tell that even Phil doesnt give a gently caress anymore. He's probably only still there for the regular paycheck.

Why do goons have this problem whereby as soon as a programme changes they have to harp on about how it was in the old days or how the show needs to be cancelled now because it is different.
Buzzcocks is still funnier than most things on telly, and is a prefectly good waste of half an hour.

Rose-tinted autists ITT.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

James Blunt's always struck me as a decent bloke since I saw this great interview with him where someone had a passive-aggressive pop at his hiring a backing band and general lack of street cred, and he came back with something along the lines of "well yeah but I've never pretended to have street cred, I was an Army officer, and then I left, and I'd enjoyed playing guitar so I wanted to be in a band, but when you're an officer in the Life Guards you don't exactly have many muso friends..."

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Paul Foot! I've never actually seen him on TV, but he used to go to my school and came back once to do stand-up there and it was pretty weird all round.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
I've only ever heard of one Paul Foot, and he's dead! Bit of a weird one.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Why do goons have this problem whereby as soon as a programme changes they have to harp on about how it was in the old days or how the show needs to be cancelled now because it is different.
Buzzcocks is still funnier than most things on telly, and is a prefectly good waste of half an hour.

Rose-tinted autists ITT.

Because it's devolved into a show where they bring guests on simply to take the piss out of them. A good number of the guests don't know the answers to the questions or are there to blatantly plug their latest lovely album and barely contribute anything to an episode short of being the punching bag for whatever the regular guest/hosts throw at them.

On a more upbeat note, I just fixed my telly and caught that Harry and Paul show. It was actually quite funny.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone else been watching the Time to Remember series on the iPlayer? The Casualties of War episode which I just watched is brilliant I feel, very humbling.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Did anyone watch Tormented lives on BBC one the other day? Never wanted to cry and punch something at the same time before

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kin posted:

Because it's devolved into a show where they bring guests on simply to take the piss out of them. A good number of the guests don't know the answers to the questions or are there to blatantly plug their latest lovely album and barely contribute anything to an episode short of being the punching bag for whatever the regular guest/hosts throw at them.

It was like this even before the unfunny Irish one left.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Kin posted:

When was Buzzcocks ever not like this? The only difference is that the guests tend to be more famous now.

edit: And who watches any panel shows because they care what the answers to the questions are??

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 21, 2010

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

James Blunt's always struck me as a decent bloke since I saw this great interview with him where someone had a passive-aggressive pop at his hiring a backing band and general lack of street cred, and he came back with something along the lines of "well yeah but I've never pretended to have street cred, I was an Army officer, and then I left, and I'd enjoyed playing guitar so I wanted to be in a band, but when you're an officer in the Life Guards you don't exactly have many muso friends..."

No street cred? The man sold his sister on eBay.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Adrianics posted:

edit: And who watches any panel shows because they care what the answers to the questions are??

Have I got news for you; You have been watching; The Bubble; Mock the week; Would i Lie to you. Amongst others.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Have I got news for you; You have been watching; The Bubble; Mock the week; Would i Lie to you. Amongst others.
Took me three reads to realise that "have i got news for you" was one of the examples you were giving and not just a smug sentence opener.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I have an almost irrational hatred of that small bald comedian in Mock the Week. I think it's his voice. No one I know seems to mind him, so it's proberly just me.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Figaro posted:

I have an almost irrational hatred of that small bald comedian in Mock the Week. I think it's his voice. No one I know seems to mind him, so it's proberly just me.
If it's Andy Parsons then it's completely rational.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Yeah that's him. They need to shake it up a bit, dump a few comedians who seems to be coasting like that guy from My Hero. To be honest Dara is the best thing about Mock the Week, they should clone him eight times and get rid of everyone else.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Frankie Boyle and Dara were the only reason to watch that show, and now one's gone then it's all that Dara can do to keep it going.

They should just do the merciful thing and take it to the bottom of the garden with a shotgun and put it out of its misery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7CPqZO_IDU

This illustrates perfectly the show dynamic. Russell Howard does a crap joke, Hugh Dennis does another while secretly wondering what happened with his life (he used to be part of the Mary Whitehouse Experience for fucks sake), then the magic starts.

I think the funniest part is probably Dara's reaction.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gently caress Andy Parsons I hate him so much :mad:

I'm glad others agree.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that Britain is the only country that has these kinds of "comedy quiz shows" (Mock the Week, HIGNFY, Shooting Stars, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, etc).

I just don't think shows like that really exist in America (or elsewhere?)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

fuf posted:

gently caress Andy Parsons I hate him so much :mad:

I'm glad others agree.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that Britain is the only country that has these kinds of "comedy quiz shows" (Mock the Week, HIGNFY, Shooting Stars, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, etc).

I just don't think shows like that really exist in America (or elsewhere?)

I've heard America doesn't have them. So that would explain why American celebrities always look lost when they appear. They seem to love importing all sorts of our other shows so it seems weird to not import panel shows since they are both popular and cheap to make.

I think other European countries have similar shows though. I know QI has been exported to a few places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Figaro posted:

YOu are not alone, every time I watch Mock the Week I end up giving a dissertation on what makes him the most annoying person on TV - his voice, his face, the inflection he uses, the fact he seems to blame Camilla Parker Bowles for Diana's death 10 years after (get over it).