Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What happens if I have a set of bookmarks and import another set of bookmarks? Do they just merge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

ufarn posted:

What happens if I have a set of bookmarks and import another set of bookmarks? Do they just merge?

Yes, they merge.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dtbcz/hey_reddit_join_the_opera_browser_team_for_an

Opera is currently having a Q&A session on Reddit. If something has been pissing you off, vent now and let the engineers hear it!

They want to compete with the bullshit IE 9 Q&A session so hopefully we'll get some real feedback instead of sugar coated marketing.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

hobolooter posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dtbcz/hey_reddit_join_the_opera_browser_team_for_an

Opera is currently having a Q&A session on Reddit. If something has been pissing you off, vent now and let the engineers hear it!

They want to compete with the bullshit IE 9 Q&A session so hopefully we'll get some real feedback instead of sugar coated marketing.

god trying to read reddit just makes my brain hurt so much. hopefully someone can summarize...

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

thrawn86 posted:

god trying to read reddit just makes my brain hurt so much. hopefully someone can summarize...

Opera techs ask the public to ask them questions. Megathread ensues. Trees are hard, let's go shopping.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Opera 11 has extensions? Well thank God, now I can add tea and egg timers and change all instances of the word 'cookies' to 'delicious delicacies' as He intended.

Seriously, though, if it made it easier to add, say, a menu without hacking up a bunch of INI files, I'm OK with it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ignore me!

Asimo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 21, 2010

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Opera 11 is out!

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/10/21/an-important-piece-of-the-puzzle

(Alpha, of course)

lebubu
May 17, 2008
I'm not sure why they left out AdBlock and added useless poo poo like reddit and Facebook extensions to their gallery for the release but whatever.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

lebubu posted:

I'm not sure why they left out AdBlock and added useless poo poo like reddit and Facebook extensions to their gallery for the release but whatever.
They cannot make an adblock plugin since their browser is funded by search engines buying slots in the search dropdown menu, which drives people to search with their site and look at their ads, thus making the search engine money.

If Opera shipped with an active adblock by default, this would be completely led ad absurdum and result in them losing their contracts and cash-flow.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This is pretty nice. You don't even have to restart the browser to install extensions.

Currently using mousetrail and the youtube one. The noscript plugin is a quick port of an existing userjs to the extensions API and people seem to have some troubles with it according to the comments. I had a bit of a bumpy install with it myself.

The rest of the list doesn't really interest me but here's hoping that good things are coming.

Also I haven't seen any real bugs/issues yet. The 10.7 builds this was based upon were stable, so from the looks of it this one is probably pretty "safe" for use too, as much as an alpha ever is.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
I haven't downloaded this yet, so for anyone trying it out, can you comment on stability?

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
I've installed it, and haven't noticed anything odd, and hadn't had any crashes so far (though of course your results may vary).

I've put on a few basic extensions, although there's nothing very sophisticated out just yet, at least that I've found.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I haven't had any issues at all. It's built on the last 10.7 builds that were entirely stable, and I guess adding the extension support didn't particularly break everything.

[edit] There are more extensions today, too. 27 now.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I did a completely clean install, wiping out my user data and using Opera Link for keeping bookmarks, and the v11 alpha seems noticeably quicker, although that may be New Car syndrome and/or due to my old crufty install going away.

No crashes so far, which is better than the v10.70 series did. I'm even using the recent Flash beta and everything is stable. Things are still a little quirky in places but no outright crashes.

The one thing that I've noticed missing is being able to change the "plug-ins on demand" setting on a site-by-site basis, like nearly everything else. This would be really helpful.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah I'm hoping they come around to that too. It'd be nice to opt-in youtube.

Of course right after I posted that I've had no issues I crashed twice while mucking around youtube. Maybe it has something to do with whatever extensions I'm running.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

It would not surprise me at all if the "load plug-ins only on demand" function is what's actually increasing stability, just by preventing all those badly-written Flash ads from loading.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Can someone tell me if the mouse navigation buttons have been fixed on Windows yet? They've been broken for the past few 10.70 releases, which has been preventing me from upgrading on Windows.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Cosmopolitan posted:

Can someone tell me if the mouse navigation buttons have been fixed on Windows yet? They've been broken for the past few 10.70 releases, which has been preventing me from upgrading on Windows.

Yeah, they're still broken. I've just turned on single-key shortcuts in the meanwhile and am using "z".

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 23, 2010

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
When I tried the 10.70 betas they broke the mouse four and five buttons for back/forward history.

Has the 11 alpha fixed that?

vv you mean I should actually read what's written above? preposterous.

Riso fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 23, 2010

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Riso posted:

When I tried the 10.70 betas they broke the mouse four and five buttons for back/forward history.

Has the 11 alpha fixed that?

That's the same question that was just asked and I just answered.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
The current extension API doesn't look that exciting. It really does not expose anything that could not have been done with User JS. I guess installing extensions is a bit easier than installing use JS, but that's pretty much it.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Wheany posted:

The current extension API doesn't look that exciting. It really does not expose anything that could not have been done with User JS. I guess installing extensions is a bit easier than installing use JS, but that's pretty much it.

Well hopefully they'll release the updates to the API shortly so we can get some kickass extensions.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Opera 11 is a step backwards in performance for me. Trying to start it with a session of 94 tabs makes it outright crash reliably and repeatedly, though luckily loading the session later manually still works.

It also thrashes the disk a lot more during normal operation, indicating some cache oddities.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Mithaldu posted:

Opera 11 is a step backwards in performance for me. Trying to start it with a session of 94 tabs makes it outright crash reliably and repeatedly, though luckily loading the session later manually still works.

I think you're not a typical use case.

This calls for an entirely different UI approach.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Using the windows panel instead of the tab bar handles that use case quite well, on the UI end. It's not too uncommon for me to have ~50 open and I haven't had Mithaldu's problem, but 50 is still a lot less than 94.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I tend to open multiple windows with multiple tabs in each, particularly if I'm doing forum surfing. Perhaps tab grouping would be better overall, I don't know.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

Using the windows panel instead of the tab bar handles that use case quite well, on the UI end. It's not too uncommon for me to have ~50 open and I haven't had Mithaldu's problem, but 50 is still a lot less than 94.

I usually have 50 or so open between about 3 windows, and opera sometimes takes almost a full minute to pop up the "continue from last time" dialog.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

thrawn86 posted:

I usually have 50 or so open between about 3 windows, and opera sometimes takes almost a full minute to pop up the "continue from last time" dialog.

Have you tried seeing how long other browsers take? This is an interesting benchmark.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

bartkusa posted:

I think you're not a typical use case.

This calls for an entirely different UI approach.

Good job completely missing my point. With 10.70 this worked perfectly, with up to 150 tabs used regularly. Things started up promptly and quickly, without crashes and there was little cache thrashing.

Also, no, Opera is actually the only browser to make this kind of UI interaction feasible once you tweak two tiny things.

Tikki
Aug 13, 2007
Life is too short for... No. Life is just too short!

Mithaldu posted:

... once you tweak two tiny things.

Oh? Do tell! :allears:

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Have you tried seeing how long other browsers take? This is an interesting benchmark.

yeah. chrome and firefox are very snappy on startup, I'm jealous. I don't really have any performance problems with opera ONCE its loaded, but good lord.

this is on a couple different systems (my laptop as well). will just sit there with no process % going on, and then after a while it finally loads.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tikki posted:

Oh? Do tell! :allears:

First: Find a theme that adds as little crap around the tab buttons themselves as possible. I used a minimalist theme and reduced them to mere black lines with no margins, so the favicons fit right between them.

This maximizes the amount of recognizable favicons you can have in your tabs.

Second: Set the browsing options to "cycle without showing list" and then set this to 1 :
opera:config#UserPrefs|AlternativePageCycleMode

This allows you to right-click and scroll left/right through your tabs by scrolling up/down with your mouse. This is ridiculously fast.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Mithaldu posted:

First: Find a theme that adds as little crap around the tab buttons themselves as possible. I used a minimalist theme and reduced them to mere black lines with no margins, so the favicons fit right between them.

This maximizes the amount of recognizable favicons you can have in your tabs.

Second: Set the browsing options to "cycle without showing list" and then set this to 1 :
opera:config#UserPrefs|AlternativePageCycleMode

This allows you to right-click and scroll left/right through your tabs by scrolling up/down with your mouse. This is ridiculously fast.

Can you post a screenshot of your setup? I'm always looking for space efficient setups for my netbook.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Startacus posted:

Can you post a screenshot of your setup? I'm always looking for space efficient setups for my netbook.

Sure:

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

As someone who rarely has more than 10-15 tabs open at a time, and that's only during complicated programming sessions, I've always wondered the use case that leads to 150 tabs open at once. What are you doing where that's a more efficient way to browse than just using bookmarks or Google?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ColdPie posted:

As someone who rarely has more than 10-15 tabs open at a time, and that's only during complicated programming sessions, I've always wondered the use case that leads to 150 tabs open at once. What are you doing where that's a more efficient way to browse than just using bookmarks or Google?

Most important part: Once a tab has some age, you can find it by either recognizing the favicon really quickly (i can find the MSPA one no matter where it is by just glancing over the bar) or by muscle memory for the really old ones.

Once you're at that point, just plain opening the tab is incredibly faster than opening a new one, typing the name and loading it.

And well, it also serves as a sort of reminder about a ton of poo poo i still want to read. If i were to put it in my bookmarks i'd never get around to it, but this way i stumble across them when scrolling along and so the right time to read something i marked happens on its own.

It also helps that opera *never* loses any tabs. I've got tabs that are years old and which i visit two or three times a week.

Then, i have multiple projects i'm coding on at any time. So for each project i might have a bunch of working sites, documentation, module lists, research, statistics and whatever open.

Lastly: It's more effort when deciding what to do with a tab when i'm done with it. It reduces it from three choices, of: close, leave open, bookmark; to two choices of: close, leave open. This speeds up the decision process and saves a bit of time as well.

In short:

:effort:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
One of these days, I'm going to experiment with using the Windows menu on the F4 sidebar instead of the tabs toolbar, just to see if I can get used to it.

ColdPie posted:

I haven't reached 150 tabs, but the times that I use tabs the most is when I'm browsing forums. Say Window 1 is SA. I open a tab per forum and then from there, open a tab per thread I want to look at. When I'm all done opening the threads up, I close the tab for the forum and repeat. Most of the time, I end up reading the threads I open before I start with another forum. Window 2 could be the same thing but an entirely different site.

I don't know if there is a more efficient way to do this but I tend not to like opening one thread, reading it and then backing up to the root, although the rewind button could make that easier.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I do the windows-panel in the f4-panels, left side, thing. Favicons just aren't sufficiently differentiable for me to do Mithaldu's setup: it's too common to have like 10 wikipedia tabs open.

But basically the use case is what you guys described: tabs are "soft-bookmarks" that function as a to-do/to-read list, or documentation related to something on a to-do list. I have tabs at the top that are pretty permanent: one for the forums, one for the weather forecast, one for facebook, etc., but others are just things like "recipe I want to try" or "band I want to listen to" or "documentation for thing I'm coding" or "page for an event next month that I want to attend".

Bookmarks are just too out-of-the-way and don't function as reminders for me to do/read things associated with each tab. This functions more as a queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So is Opera not going to work any further on 10.70 and putting all of their effors on 11? Or are they still going to release a release build of 10.70?