Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

EC posted:

It kind of sucks you can only have two of your eight powers mapped at one time. I'd love to have three or four to mix it up a bit.

You can bind powers to the left and right triggers if you don't use either block or evade that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mug posted:

"Invested" may not be the right word for this thing we do.

Haha, I think I said something similar to Policenaut on PSN.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Archer666 posted:

Finally, after 31 hours of play and doing almost every sidequest and trying to upgrade as much weapons as I could, I decided to get ending A.

I have nothing else to say other than this game is a masterpiece. I cared about the characters and the world of Nier. Reading the timeline in Grimoire Nier made me into a mix of :stare: and :smith:. I wish Cavia would make more DLC, but...:smith:

Play the New Game +, dude. Seriously.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm reading through Grimoire Nier. Were we supposed to be able to figure all that out through all 4 run-throughs and endings? I'm wondering just how much I missed.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm reading through Grimoire Nier. Were we supposed to be able to figure all that out through all 4 run-throughs and endings? I'm wondering just how much I missed.

No. A solid majority of the stuff is just background info you'll never find out from the game itself. Which I like; the game isn't about the world of Nier, it's about Nier himself. You don't know poo poo about poo poo except that you want your daughter back.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Crappy Jack posted:

No. A solid majority of the stuff is just background info you'll never find out from the game itself. Which I like; the game isn't about the world of Nier, it's about Nier himself. You don't know poo poo about poo poo except that you want your daughter back.

Don't you mean sister? :smugbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Don't you mean sister? :smugbert:

Sure, if you like being playing as the lovely Replicant. Dadass Nier is the best Nier.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Barudak posted:

Sure, if you like being playing as the lovely Replicant. Dadass Nier is the best Nier.

There should be an optional DLC to let you play the game as Rutger Hauer.

"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Barudak posted:

This is the correct opinion.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Man just started this game last night and the WIERD tag for this game is perfect. I find it pretty average so far but there's something just so cool and interesting about this game I can't put my finger on.

I like the lighting in this game. I know it's not realistic at all but the light gives this whole game seem like it's in a dream or other world.

Can't wait to see all the endings since I've been hearing good stuff so far.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Bought the soundtrack on iTunes the other day, my second gaming-related soundtrack I've purchased (the first was Bionic Commando: Rearmed). So. loving. Good.

Can't wait to have some free time this afternoon to work on my second playthrough. I may even try to farm a bunch of the weapon upgrades as well, should be fun. Are there any missable weapons, though? I'd like to keep working on my main playthrough, but I didn't finish all of the sidequests from the first section. Should I just restart?

It also blows that the game clock still counts when you pause the game. At least a couple of hours of my 17 hour first playthrough were me smoking, talking on the phone, walking the dogs, etc. :(

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Just bought this game. I've been waffling on it for a while and I've been putting it off because a game I don't really care about isn't worth $65 to me so I figured I'd wait until I got it on the cheap. Paid $40 for my copy.

Now that I've played it, it easily would have been worth full price. It's stellar. I'm not very far into the game yet but I'm really impressed and the world is just drawing me in. The fact that the main character is voiced by Largo the Black Lion / Iron Tager doesn't hurt either :3:

Can't seem to find any voice credits for this game though, at least not on IMDB. nevermind I'm just not used to imdb's new layout

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 19, 2010

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
You guys weren't kidding about the amount of :smith: while going for Ending B. Just got to the Junk Heap and the stuff between P-33 and the shade is just heart breaking. Even my wife thought so, and she's hardly ever effected by video games.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I beat this game recently. It was honestly one of the best games I've ever played, and it sucks how badly it got reviewed & sold. Ending B was...wow.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

EC posted:

You guys weren't kidding about the amount of :smith: while going for Ending B. Just got to the Junk Heap and the stuff between P-33 and the shade is just heart breaking. Even my wife thought so, and she's hardly ever effected by video games.

The part in the desert with the wolves got me worse. Granted, killing Fyra was a dick move, but they did in retaliation to Charade slaughtering their friends.

He was a good dog :(

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Just finished the game in <15 hours loving finally. This platinum is taking me way longer than it should have. Now time for ending D and that's it.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
There, it's done. A platinum and the final ending. That was a great adventure.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Now do it again :colbert:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I got Replicant yesterday, and Enslaved and the new Castlevania, tomorrow i get New Vegas and Vanquish.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Is there any way to redo the "Ballad of the Twins" quest early-game? I did it once but I was wondering if I could get them both to sing again.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Spiffo posted:

Is there any way to redo the "Ballad of the Twins" quest early-game? I did it once but I was wondering if I could get them both to sing again.

Nah, but the song is on the soundtrack.

edit: here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS--hp1mFYA

Mug fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 21, 2010

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Onto second play through for Ending B. Do any scenes change during the 2nd half again or is it all pretty much the same?
Also I've read a couple posts about reading Grimoire Noir and it being a good read. Do I get the book after a certain ending or is there something I must do.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

AuntJemima posted:

Onto second play through for Ending B. Do any scenes change during the 2nd half again or is it all pretty much the same?
Also I've read a couple posts about reading Grimoire Noir and it being a good read. Do I get the book after a certain ending or is there something I must do.

I'm working through my 2nd playthrough now and so far it's not that there are different scenes, it's that there are added ones. Aside from that, there's also some added in-game dialog while you're fighting.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

AuntJemima posted:

In your 2nd playthrough there's a lot of new stuff in the 2nd half of the game.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Got Ending B tonight, and not more than 10 minutes later, my PS3 yellow-lighted. Awesome.

:smith:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I just finished up Ending B.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed in how it wrapped up. The new back-story and scenes you saw while fighting bosses was completely awesome, but when the game actually ended all it showed was a scene of Shadow-Nier and Shadow-Yonah being together, and we already saw something like that in Ending A! Despite the fact that Ending B was supposed to be about Kaine, the only new development she had was when she gave a monologue saying that she liked Nier, and then the game ended. Tyrann basically wasn't even a character since he had like 10 lines over the entire game. We got a scene with Emil, which was cool, but it felt like there needed to be a epilogue to wrap up the story.

Are there any new scenes going to Ending C or should I just blitz the bosses as fast as possible?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UserMan posted:

Are there any new scenes going to Ending C or should I just blitz the bosses as fast as possible?

Blitz or Youtube. Your preference really.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Blitz, obviously. Youtubing endings is unsatisfying as all hell. HOWEVER: save into a separate slot for the last save point. Ending C and D are only separated by a single choice at the end so unless you want to grind or something another runthrough is mostly unnecessary.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

UserMan posted:

I just finished up Ending B.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed in how it wrapped up. The new back-story and scenes you saw while fighting bosses was completely awesome, but when the game actually ended all it showed was a scene of Shadow-Nier and Shadow-Yonah being together, and we already saw something like that in Ending A! Despite the fact that Ending B was supposed to be about Kaine, the only new development she had was when she gave a monologue saying that she liked Nier, and then the game ended. Tyrann basically wasn't even a character since he had like 10 lines over the entire game. We got a scene with Emil, which was cool, but it felt like there needed to be a epilogue to wrap up the story.

I agree with your assessment. Playthrough B was more about the shades' perspective than Kainé's, as I saw it. There's hardly anything there other than the text in the beginning, and Tyrann should have had a more prominent role. It seems like most of the really interesting story stuff comes from Grimoire Nier rather than the game itself, which is kind of a bummer.

Also, there really is not anything stopping you from just watching endings C and D on Youtube. Although you can blitz through the game in about an hour, I don't agree that there's anything satisfying about it. Nothing changes other than the ending(s), and it's not like the final battle is even remotely challenging.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
You really have to collect all the weapons to get ending C? :(

Also, how many doors does the dlc have? I came very close to finishing the third before dying, and want to know if that's the last one or not. I love how hard the combat is, I just wish they would have wrapped more story around it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

There's just 3 doors.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Jesus, its probably already been stated a million times but the music in this game is absolutely phenomenal. This and Xenosaga Ep III are easily my favourites.

The more I play this game the more I like it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

AuntJemima posted:

Jesus, its probably already been stated a million times but the music in this game is absolutely phenomenal. This and Xenosaga Ep III are easily my favourites.

The more I play this game the more I like it.

I've been listening to the soundtrack between gaming sessions. I think I'm starting to get obsessed.

The remixes in the DLC are great as well.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fuzz posted:

There should be an optional DLC to let you play the game as Rutger Hauer.

"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

+10,000 for the Blade Runner reference.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't know what they're called, but the big shades that have lots of armor are annoying as hell to kill. I can pretty much smash anything with Dark Hand and knock it's armor off in one or two hits, then kill it pretty quickly. These dudes just end up with me wailing on them for 10 or 15 minutes each. They're the guys that spawn in the isometric section of the DLC, inside the rooms (you also fight them at the end of the isometric section, in the circular arena). Any tips for killing them? I've got all my poo poo equipped with various words that give an armor break bonus and what not.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Finally started my new game+ run for Ending B after shelving the game post-ending A due to complete and total paranoia after learning about the final ending. Man, my face curls up into an incredibly sad frown whenever I speak to the twins, and I'm left wondering if the game will take the Drakengard route of having every ending be a thousand times more tragic than the last.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Satanos posted:

Finally started my new game+ run for Ending B after shelving the game post-ending A due to complete and total paranoia after learning about the final ending. Man, my face curls up into an incredibly sad frown whenever I speak to the twins, and I'm left wondering if the game will take the Drakengard route of having every ending be a thousand times more tragic than the last.

I figured that went without saying but yeah. Pretty much!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

EC posted:

I don't know what they're called, but the big shades that have lots of armor are annoying as hell to kill. I can pretty much smash anything with Dark Hand and knock it's armor off in one or two hits, then kill it pretty quickly. These dudes just end up with me wailing on them for 10 or 15 minutes each. They're the guys that spawn in the isometric section of the DLC, inside the rooms (you also fight them at the end of the isometric section, in the circular arena). Any tips for killing them? I've got all my poo poo equipped with various words that give an armor break bonus and what not.

Playing on Normal, hitting them with Dark Hand three times will destroy their armor and then you can just wail away. They have to be clean hits with Dark Hand, though, so wait a couple of seconds in between Hands.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Alright just got all the endings to this game. This game was rad and I'm glad I ignored the bad reviews and gave it a try for myself. Although I do see where they're coming from. I don't think I've had a game experience like this since Shadow of the Colossus.

Also read through Grimoire Nier on the internet and really wish it was included in documents in game. Well guess there is a few pages of Grimoire Noir at the loading screen but you don't know exactly what the WCS or Red Eye is. The back story and everything leading up too the game is really cool. It'd be sweet to have a sequel (or I guess it would be prequel) but I assume that will never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm still early on in the game, so I'm being careful reading through this thread. It's too bad that this thread isn't titled, "Nier: gently caress, This book is a real rear end in a top hat!" though.

• Locked thread