Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't see much benefit in leaving them off while painting, but if you think it'll help go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

So I've decided I need to make a push if I want to improve my painting, I've won a few prizes, but I could be a whole lot better. So I ordered this today:

code:
vallejo game color set €122.64	
vallejo model color hobby range set €127.36
My theory is go big or go home. I also ordered this model which I've wanted to paint for a while:

Any suggestions on colour scheme?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Nice elves.

AoBR Orks: Glue heads on before painting or after ?

After. I find that the ork heads cover too much chest area due to being set so low on the model.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of the eternal battle between full construction and partial construction pre-paint, how the gently caress are you supposed to paint the legs on that lady?

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the high elf tutorial, richyp! Used it paint these guys over the course of saturday (dark photo :()

Click here for the full 615x461 image.

How you you guys deal with all the little pouches and things on the models? I try to paint them brown or something but it always ends up looking terrible.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I painted the pouches and hanging straps blue like the rest of the trim. Those look great btw.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Eyespy posted:

So I've decided I need to make a push if I want to improve my painting, I've won a few prizes, but I could be a whole lot better. So I ordered this today:

code:
vallejo game color set €122.64	
vallejo model color hobby range set €127.36
My theory is go big or go home. I also ordered this model which I've wanted to paint for a while:

Any suggestions on colour scheme?

I think it would look pretty awesome with a sort of Victorian scheme, lots of rich darkish colors (Maroon, deep golds, black, etc). You could also look up some patterns if you feel confident about freehand.

A quick search brings up something like this:

I think the face would also lend itself to that weird "doll" makeup they used to like so much, with pale skin, exaggerated blush and eyelashes, and that lipstick painted on to make your lips look smaller. Look around for victorian face paint / makeup for examples of that.

Honestly though its a nice-looking mini, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. And good choice in paints, Vallejo's line is so much smoother and consistent than GW's.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I say go with typical Victorian Goth garb. Black dress with a liche purple (or Valejo equivalent) and do that doll style make up that Abdominal mentioned.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

AbdominalSnowman posted:

I think it would look pretty awesome with a sort of Victorian scheme, lots of rich darkish colors (Maroon, deep golds, black, etc). You could also look up some patterns if you feel confident about freehand.

A quick search brings up something like this:

I think the face would also lend itself to that weird "doll" makeup they used to like so much, with pale skin, exaggerated blush and eyelashes, and that lipstick painted on to make your lips look smaller. Look around for victorian face paint / makeup for examples of that.

Honestly though its a nice-looking mini, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. And good choice in paints, Vallejo's line is so much smoother and consistent than GW's.

Thats more or less what I had in mind. Dark colours offset with pale flesh tones and lots of blending. I was going to do her mask pure white, but I might have to try NMM gold instead, so it isn't too pale.

The idea of that much freehand scares the hell out of me, but I guess we'll see how adventurous I feel after the basecoats. It'll be my first time priming in white since my first attempts at miniature painting.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Eyespy posted:

Thats more or less what I had in mind. Dark colours offset with pale flesh tones and lots of blending. I was going to do her mask pure white, but I might have to try NMM gold instead, so it isn't too pale.

The idea of that much freehand scares the hell out of me, but I guess we'll see how adventurous I feel after the basecoats. It'll be my first time priming in white since my first attempts at miniature painting.

I feel you on the freehand, every time I try it it looks a little inconsistent and I get frustrated and give up. Of course I probably need to buy a nicer, smaller brush, but still.

yokomo
Feb 14, 2004

WHERE DA WMD'S AT?

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Made these from DnD mini's vampire dire wolves. I just need to work on the bases. I am pretty happy with how they turned out but the wolves all having the same pose bothers me.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Just finished my Guild Guard all ready for a 30 soulstone game on Saturday. Also painted up a well of doom I had sitting around for the last 4 years.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
hey guy you should p take better care of your armor, that's not very good for it. gonna go all tin man and poo poo.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I fukken love dem water effects

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fyrbrand posted:

I fukken love dem water effects

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fyrbrand posted:

:byodood: FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Poppin' in to say thanks for pointing me at BuffaloChicken for that GS work. He's the man.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Killa Kanz WIP shot:

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to go through the pain of edge highlighting all that metal or not. After that it's just some blacklining, detail some gubbinz here and there, and bases.

Edit all my cool rust effects are getting owned by the flash :negative:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Looking pretty solid so far broheim

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Fyrbrand posted:

What wonderful painting that isn't loving yellow, you prick, paint them yellow.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Killa Kanz WIP shot:

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to go through the pain of edge highlighting all that metal or not. After that it's just some blacklining, detail some gubbinz here and there, and bases.

Edit all my cool rust effects are getting owned by the flash :negative:

What have you done so far? They look pretty good already.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Few more layers of white on the cloth and this bad boy is done. Then its back to silver instead of gold for the remaining 5 Sea Guard.

(ignore the base, its from an old goblin, I just used it to balance him on for the pic)

vvvv Yep, still got the mounted one to paint yet

richyp fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 19, 2010

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Very nice, thats part of the plastic Prince/Noble set, yes?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

What have you done so far? They look pretty good already.

Thanks dude. There's really not much to them, as it's mostly boltgun that's had lots of washes and stuff done to it basically. Then some enchanted blue highlighted with steaks of enchanted/ice mix.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Thanks dude. There's really not much to them, as it's mostly boltgun that's had lots of washes and stuff done to it basically. Then some enchanted blue highlighted with steaks of enchanted/ice mix.

That's too funny. I thought they were these Kanz:

WhiteOutMouse posted:

*click imgs to make big, etc*

Wee! 3 shiny rear end Kanz! Where my devlan mud at!

After all that valuable air brush discussion what did I do?
Krylon silver :c00lbert:
Cant wait to paint! Gonna have to think how I want to paint the looted parts...

I was amazed how well the silver toned down, but now I realize that you aren't the same ham and so you started with BoltGun, not silver...oops.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I just finished this guy. Took me about an hour and a half to paint. Not my best, but I think he turned out pretty well. He's the first man I've completed in my 65 figure large army that I just got off of ebay. Expect more to come. I'm going to be going with the dark blue as the main color and the orange highlights for the entire army.

Edit

Since my last post I have painted the other two Psykers in the group. Here is their happy little squad.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 20, 2010

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Fyrbrand posted:

Do the edging. It'll make them look even more awesome.

(Good job, dude.)

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

I just got in some Infinity models (PanO Shock Army of Acontecimento and an Aquila guard because the dude is loving boss) and they've been assembled and undercoated. I can't help but feel they're looking at me accusingly. So, painting time!

But that's always the toughest part. I dont know what colours do them in. I'm sick of doing grey and black models, which I do because i'm scared of putting effort in and it being poo poo :P
It was suggested to me to do them in red, which I wouldn't mind to do. But, how do those Nomad paint schemes achieve such bright cherry-reds?
If i'm going to do red, i'd want it to be that kind of red. Including red cuts out green (dont want them Christmas flavoured!), so maybe a very light blue + red? I'm a big fan of TastyAvacado's models, the simplicity in the paint scheme really ties them together nicely.

Suggestions/thoughts?

blindidiotgod fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 20, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Cap for the IF army commission:

Also, Ive still got a decent amount of cheap basing material for sale in my thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304041

grab it while you can!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
You tried the airbrush power sword thingie, PV?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
That Captain looks pretty awesome. I like the sword a lot, PV. Very nice. And the banner looks really sharp.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

You tried the airbrush power sword thingie, PV?

Nah, same technique, but I did it with brushes

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Another day, another mini. I really need to make myself a good light box. And a better camera. Hope I'm not posting too often. I have a whole army to paint and I plan to show off my work.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Master Twig posted:

Another day, another mini. I really need to make myself a good light box. And a better camera. Hope I'm not posting too often. I have a whole army to paint and I plan to show off my work.

post away, that's what this thread is for v:shobon:v

what will help with your lightbox woes is getting rid of the yellow from what I presume are normal bulbs, you can either get yourself a lurvely daylight lamp.. OR if you're feeling cheap, try correcting the colour in photoshop etc.

Anyway, might as well contribute something myself, here's a WIP for this months oath.. a daemon prince. irongob ingredient is going to be devotional tattoos to the chaos gods, seeking the favour of protection :3: tenuous? yep. best I could come up with? yep.

Really struggling to paint anything 40k/fantasy scale at the mo, the little epic guys are taking front stage on my painting table again thanks to finally bagging a game with a seasoned vet this coming Monday.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
^^^^ EFB

Master Twig posted:

White levels in Gimp/PS work wonders

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

richyp posted:

^^^^ EFB

White levels in Gimp/PS work wonders

That does look a lot better.

I did adjust the levels a little, but not that well. I should read up some tutorials on that. Also going to probably invest in a whiter light. Shouldn't be too pricey.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Master Twig posted:

Also going to probably invest in a whiter light. Shouldn't be too pricey.

In all honesty the investment is well worth it, it's like having a little ray of sunshine on your desk at all hours :)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Anyone else having problems with the Eternity of War forums trying to give their computers a virus or trojan or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It was recently discussed in the Warmachine thread. Basically, unless you want an "instant computer crash" virus installed, don't go to EoW.

• Locked thread