Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

fuf posted:

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that Britain is the only country that has these kinds of "comedy quiz shows" (Mock the Week, HIGNFY, Shooting Stars, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, etc).

I just don't think shows like that really exist in America (or elsewhere?)

Actually the panel quiz show is an American invention dating back to Depression-era radio, but it's only really still popular in the UK. NPR (radio) still does "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me". I remember "Front Page Challenge" in Canada growing up but apparently that was finally cancelled in 1995.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They should just have a TV show where they give Dara a crate of beer, 48 hours and a modern game and demand him to complete it anyway possible.

That'd be entertaining.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/psychoville/halloween/

Psychoville is back for a Halloween special. I cannot wait! The cliffhanger ending of series 1 was brilliant, and the trailer looks pretty scary. David looked to be absent from the trailer, but I assume he will be back as he was the only major character other than the two dwarves to not be in the hospital during the explosion.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am so eager to see what happened to Mr Jolly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SeanBeansShako posted:

They should just have a TV show where they give Dara a crate of beer, 48 hours and a modern game and demand him to complete it anyway possible.

That'd be entertaining.

This would be very entertaining, as he seems to be incredibly bad at them. I remember his segment on Gameswipe about how he couldn't get past the berserker in gears of war.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

I remember his segment on Gameswipe about how he couldn't get past the berserker in gears of war.
Can't get to Manhattan in GTA4 either. Poor Dara.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Kin posted:

Have I got news for you; You have been watching; The Bubble; Mock the week; Would i Lie to you. Amongst others.

You are comparing four topical quiz shows about very specific and current real-life or pop culture events (plus one that I hadn't considered so I'll give you that one) to a panel show that has always, always, always, always, always, from the first episode with Mark Lamarr and Sean Hughes right through to the admittedly terrible Dr Who-themed episode, been about getting whichever tv or music-based people were available and taking the piss out of them. The slack approach to the format has not changed since the first episode, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Actually thinking about it kind of makes me miss the classic They Think It Was All Over. Ah well :(

Figaro posted:

I have an almost irrational hatred of that small bald comedian in Mock the Week. I think it's his voice. No one I know seems to mind him, so it's proberly just me.

I really don't have enough time in the day to listen to that man start and finish a joke.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His radio stuff used to be quite good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You know what ? Frankie Boyle is poo poo.
He has a narrow range of 'lolol edgy as gently caress' jokes which work on a shock basis the first time round, but beyond that he has nothing but a snide attitude. He probably left Mock The Week because he ran out of ideas.

Boyle is one of those comedians who use the same material every time they appear on something, and quickly get stale, but because he says "oval office" a lot and does rape jokes idiots like him.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
No, you are wrong. There are only two comedians on Mock the Week who are so funny that they occasionally tell a joke that brings the show to a halt because everyone has to stop laughing first. Frankie Boyle is one, Stewart Francis is the other. Sometimes they can see things that are genuinely funny, rather than things that you recognize as something a comedian would say and therefore laugh at.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Frankie Boyle definitely overdoes Scotland/Glasgow gags, but he's definitely still a much sharper comedian than all the others. That's one of my comedy pet peeves, filling an entire act with jokes about your heritage, but outside of that he's still really funny. Russel Howard is getting better, but he still seems like he doesn't have belief in his jokes, there's no commitment in his eyes when he talks. When he's being more natural he can come out with some really funny lines.

Parsons and Dennis can gently caress off though, you can literally feel the humour level drop when they start talking.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I sort of gave up on Never Mind the Buzzcocks once Simon and Bill left. I would have been happy if they replaced them with someone decent but instead we get rotating hosts and Noel loving Fielding.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The best guest on Buzzcocks, by far, was Bill Oddie. Throughout half the show Amstell literally had no loving idea what to do with him.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

I sort of gave up on Never Mind the Buzzcocks once Simon and Bill left. I would have been happy if they replaced them with someone decent but instead we get rotating hosts and Noel loving Fielding.

I normally hate Noel Fielding too but he's kind of funny in bursts, just not when he does stuff like wearing a cape just so he can randomly go I AM WEARING A CAPE ISN'T THAT PRECIOUS

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do you control a man who's both nuts, and was working in comedy before you were born?

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
I'm not much of a fan of Frankie Boyle either. He's not terrible, but he does rely too much on the 'shocking' "A BEAR RAPED A SCHOOLBOY IN GLASGOW!" stuff instead of actually telling a joke.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ddraig posted:

The best guest on Buzzcocks, by far, was Bill Oddie. Throughout half the show Amstell literally had no loving idea what to do with him.
Oh god the credits had me in stitches. I really need to see that again.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
At least Frankie Boyle genuinely has a very quick wit, most of the people on Mock The Week don't seem to

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I like to think that Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive is an accurate portrayal of what goes into making a panel show.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I've always loved Milton Jones since I saw him live, once, years ago, for about 5 minutes, and I think he's consistently really good on Mock the Week as well.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Frankie Boyle was great on Mock the Week because he pipped up with his offensive one-liners at the right time. As a stand-up, he's terrible.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I'm glad there's other people who don't like Frankie Boyle. I don't hate him, he's okay as a panelist because he can be genuinely quick, but I thought his stand-up was just grating and awful.

gently caress Andy Parsons forever though. "IM TELLING A JOKE. HERE COMES THE JOKE. THERE IS THE JOKE."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Junkenstein posted:

Frankie Boyle was great on Mock the Week because he pipped up with his offensive one-liners at the right time. As a stand-up, he's terrible.

I'd really have to agree. He's an excellent ad-libber but he's a terrible writer. All the stuff he's sat down and wrote (i.e. all his stand-up stuff, and the stuff he recycles for mock the week) is awful, but the times when he comes out with something spontaneously is hilarious.

It's almost as if he's got all these really dark, horrible ideas bubbling round his head and when he unleashes them they're amazing but when he decides to write them down they just become horribly sterile and bland.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ddraig posted:

This would be very entertaining, as he seems to be incredibly bad at them. I remember his segment on Gameswipe about how he couldn't get past the berserker in gears of war.

Which is why the premise would be utterly hilarious, I want to hear the confused drunken ramblings of a Irishman wondering who the hell are half the bands in Rock Bands or Guitar Hero now trying to work for a song he knows and wants to play.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Bill Oddie on Buzzcocks was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. He must have been drunk or high on something even he isn't that weird usually.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think he was having bipolar issues at the time, might have been manic.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Junkenstein posted:

Sean Lock is pretty much the same way. I know some people don't like him but I think he's consistently hilarious on every panel show he's on, but his stand up is just... wooden, and he doesn't seem very comfortable with it, and it's kind of boring.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I think his original, well written sitcom getting very little recognition while his stint in the light entertainment purgatory that is 8 Out of 10 Cats stretches off indefinately into the future may have affected his passion for comedy.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

That episode of Buzzcocks was okay, I guess. Mark Ronson was wittier than I thought he would be.

I remembered how I know Paul Foot - He for whatever reason was on one of those Last Comic Standing shows that was on a few years back when I was visiting America. I think he teetered between being insufferable and being loving hilarious, I'd probably check out his stand-up at least.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or is Phil Jupitus getting even fatter?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Hoops posted:

Frankie Boyle definitely overdoes Scotland/Glasgow gags
I'm sorry, while Kevin "Schcawtland" Bridges is still alive no oval office can be accused of this.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

goatface posted:

Not possible.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Wootcannon posted:

I'm sorry, while Kevin "Schcawtland" Bridges is still alive no oval office can be accused of this.

This is so true. While it's occasionally nice to recognise places comedians reference, it's so boring if every joke is based around not even Scotland but a very specific area of Glasgow.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

goatface posted:

He was on one podcast or another and told an anecdote about himself and Harry Hill before a gig. Hill, who used to be a GP before he went into comedy, told Jupitus "if you want to see your little daughters growing up you should probably think about losing some weight". Jupitus gave the impression that he thought that was out of order.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I wouldn't mind but Phil Jupitus does little to justify his massive bulk. I can't remember last I laughed at anything he said.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I never knew Harry Hill was a Doctor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never knew Harry Hill was a Doctor.

Neither did I. I assumed he'd always just been the idiot's choice comedian.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Akuma posted:

Sean Lock is pretty much the same way. I know some people don't like him but I think he's consistently hilarious on every panel show he's on, but his stand up is just... wooden, and he doesn't seem very comfortable with it, and it's kind of boring.
really? Sean Lock's standup is one of the only standups I actually like, I think he's excellent.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

really? Sean Lock's standup is one of the only standups I actually like, I think he's excellent.
Different strokes, I guess!

And Phil Jupitus justifies his girth with the anecdote about Dale Winton liking fatties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
I liked Buzzcocks, they seemed to keep in a lot of adlibbed banter. Or I've been fooled :(.