Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There's what I think is a sort of food that I have heard mentioned on several American TV shows. The problem is I've only heard it in an American accent so I don't know how it would be spelled so that I could look it up. Please could someone tell me the correct spelling of the thing that is phonetically spelled "blahb jahmens"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
What shows and in what context?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't remember what shows, and the only context I remember was "try the blahb jahmens".

Edit: Actually it may have been GOB in Arrested Development, but I don't really know.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 21, 2010

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You're going to have to remember more details because what you're saying is probably blob jomens and that's really not a thing.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Anjow posted:

There's what I think is a sort of food that I have heard mentioned on several American TV shows. The problem is I've only heard it in an American accent so I don't know how it would be spelled so that I could look it up. Please could someone tell me the correct spelling of the thing that is phonetically spelled "blahb jahmens"?

Could it be this Indian dessert, Gulab jamun?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a website that does nothing but list what music plays in what particular epside of a TV show?

I am finally watching CSI (1st season) and there is a bunch of incidental music that I would love to figure out.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Could it be this Indian dessert, Gulab jamun?

Sounds like it could be it, yes. Thanks. When it's said quickly it might be hard to pick up the initial consonant.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Anjow posted:

Sounds like it could be it, yes. Thanks. When it's said quickly it might be hard to pick up the initial consonant.

Now I'm really curious which several American shows you heard that Indian dessert referenced on.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Loopyface posted:

Now I'm really curious which several American shows you heard that Indian dessert referenced on.

Desperate Childbrides

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Loopyface posted:

It was probably from Flight of the Conchords. Dave says it at the party he's having.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

RaoulDuke12 posted:

It was probably from Flight of the Conchords. Dave says it at the party he's having.

That was it. Though I'm sure I've heard it on at least one more. Looks like my thinking it was GOB was way off the mark.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Anjow posted:

That was it. Though I'm sure I've heard it on at least one more. Looks like my thinking it was GOB was way off the mark.

Yeah, pretty sure it never comes up in AD.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

kapalama posted:

Is there a website that does nothing but list what music plays in what particular epside of a TV show?

I am finally watching CSI (1st season) and there is a bunch of incidental music that I would love to figure out.

It's kind of a messy site, but http://heardontv.com/ may have what you want.

Fake edit: that site doesn't look like it has CSI season 1 anything, but this one does: http://www.tunefind.com/show/csi/season-1

The problem being most of these sites are user-contributed and most users have no idea, so you don't get many contributions.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

b0nes posted:

I had a friend who recently got married. I couldn't make the wedding and I want to buy both of them a gift. I know the husband well, but the wife I don't know too much about her. I was thinking about a hers/his gift. I am getting the husband either a Gerber or Leatherman multitool, I am not sure what to get the lady. I don't like giving people "pretty" gifts, I like giving people stuff they can use.

Maybe a his and hers Snuggie? A blue and pink one. I got those as kind of a gag gift along with a real gift and I think they like the Snuggies more. Probably not the best idea if you live in a place that doesn't get cold though.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

b0nes posted:

. I am getting the husband either a Gerber or Leatherman multitool,

Some people think it's bad luck to give or receive a knife as a gift; that's why often people will demand a penny as payment when they give you a knife.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
I make "pretty" chainmaile and linked chain bracelets/etc out of silver. I currently hand cut my jump rings by hand with a jeweler's saw. I know that various places offer to sell me jump rings but I tend to use larger than what they offer or weird square/triangle wire not offered. I was looking for a reliable way to cut the these 14ga & 16ga semi-precious metal rings via a not-handsaw process.

Tried a dremel but haven't found a blade that got as thin as I need nor built a jig that keeps things stable. Suggestions?

SpiDeR fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 22, 2010

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

SpiDeR posted:

I make "pretty" chainmaile and linked chain bracelets/etc out of silver. I currently hand cut my jump rings by hand with a jeweler's saw. I know that various places offer to sell me jump rings but I tend to use larger than what they offer or weird square/triangle wire not offered. I was looking for a reliable way to cut the these 14ga & 16ga semi-precious metal rings via a not-handsaw process.

Tried a dremel but haven't found a blade that got as thin as I need nor built a jig that keeps things stable. Suggestions?
How are you forming your rings? I learned in my metalsmithing class to make rings by wrapping the wire around a crochet needle, thereby forming multiple rings to saw at once. You could wrap your wire around a suitably-sized support and clamp the ends of the support in two vices to hold it steady while you saw. I haven't used anything other than a jeweler's saw or Dremel to cut pieces and can't think of anything else to make such fine cuts. Hope this helps.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
I usually form around a steel dowel and sawing (or nipping steel). I might use 200-400 14ga rings on a piece though, so sawing gets old.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

SpiDeR posted:

I usually form around a steel dowel and sawing (or nipping steel). I might use 200-400 14ga rings on a piece though, so sawing gets old.
Yikes. No wonder you'd like to step up the process.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
Looks like I've seen two answer's... one is the Ringinator and one is the Pepe Jump Ring Maker. Ringinator would let me do more steel and larger gauges, and Pepe... might be... a slightly cheaper answer for those who want to spend more time on the rings?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I've just noticed on a 2nd class Royal Mail stamp, that there is an "invisible" line down the centre, and "Royal Mail" printed in wave-y lines both of which are only visible when you tilt the stamp to an angle in the light.

Does Royal Mail actually use methods to check stamps are forged? How would they deal with counterfeit stamps - charge the recipient for delivery?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gwar3k1 posted:

Does Royal Mail actually use methods to check stamps are forged? How would they deal with counterfeit stamps - charge the recipient for delivery?
I would bet that as part of the sorting process a machine checks the authenticity of the stamp. Once they find a counterfeit they would probably locate the sender and attempt to discover where he obtained counterfeit stamps. Governments usually take stamp forging pretty seriously and in the US it can get you five years in prison and a hefty fine.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 22, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

SpiDeR posted:

Just a tip: there is a metalwork megathread at SA:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

Maybe there's tomething useful there.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

As mentioned I am catching up on the first season of CSI. In one episode, the comment is made that some child of a rich family should have a cell phone with the line:

"A rich family like that, the kid should have a cellphone right?"

Are there any kids without cellphones now? Have things changed that much in ten years?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kapalama posted:

As mentioned I am catching up on the first season of CSI. In one episode, the comment is made that some child of a rich family should have a cell phone with the line:

"A rich family like that, the kid should have a cellphone right?"

Are there any kids without cellphones now? Have things changed that much in ten years?

Yes, there are plenty of people from infants to adults that do not yet have cellphones, and even some that do not want them.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

wigtrade.cc posted:

how do I get the smell of dishwashing (sponges and dishsoap) from my hands? handwashing isn't working

Wear rubber gloves when you wash up, use alcohol hand-rub or use scented hand-cream after.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

What are the recidivism rates for forum probations/bans? Anytime I click on someone's ban history they either have none or 3 or more probations/bans. I have only seen someone with just one probation twice.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

The Aphasian posted:

What are the recidivism rates for forum probations/bans? Anytime I click on someone's ban history they either have none or 3 or more probations/bans. I have only seen someone with just one probation twice.
That's a good question for the Ask us about the forums some more! ( READ QCS FIRST! ) thread in Ask / Tell.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
I'm positive someone asked this questions in this thread or the last incarnation, but I've searched for 20 minutes and can't find it.

What's a good resource for apartment searching in an area? Someone asked and a couple of the replies linked interactive maps where you can search area by price/bedrooms/pets/etc. or plug in your own factors of what you want/don't want. I'm pretty sure the website had some catchy name. Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kitsch! posted:

I'm positive someone asked this questions in this thread or the last incarnation, but I've searched for 20 minutes and can't find it.

What's a good resource for apartment searching in an area? Someone asked and a couple of the replies linked interactive maps where you can search area by price/bedrooms/pets/etc. or plug in your own factors of what you want/don't want. I'm pretty sure the website had some catchy name. Thanks!

Lifehacker had a writeup of a few of them here

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet
I've searched for quite a while and can't find anything, so I figure I'll ask here:

I seem to remember a Genealogy thread a while ago somewhere on the forums. Is it still around or am I imagining things? I have a maternal grandfather I know nothing about and want to find his name, location, any relatives, etc and have no idea what kind of genealogy websites to use or if there's a better way to go about it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

The Aphasian posted:

try me, pretty sure I have just one probation. also it was from someone not understanding sarcasm

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

fishmaster17 posted:

I've searched for quite a while and can't find anything, so I figure I'll ask here:

I seem to remember a Genealogy thread a while ago somewhere on the forums. Is it still around or am I imagining things? I have a maternal grandfather I know nothing about and want to find his name, location, any relatives, etc and have no idea what kind of genealogy websites to use or if there's a better way to go about it.

There was a guy on SA Mart who was doing genealogy research, but I searched the first few pages and didn't see his thread. He might not be doing it anymore.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

BorderPatrol posted:

Lifehacker had a writeup of a few of them here

Thanks for the link. HotPads was the one I was thinking of.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Does streaming HD video (youtube et al.) require more CPU/GPU power than playing a file from the harddrive?

I've been thinking of getting a cheap netbook, and I swear the claims of "PLAYS HD VIDEOS!" never seem to mention whether they include streaming video or not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Macys posted:

Does streaming HD video (youtube et al.) require more CPU/GPU power than playing a file from the harddrive?

I've been thinking of getting a cheap netbook, and I swear the claims of "PLAYS HD VIDEOS!" never seem to mention whether they include streaming video or not.

Before recent versions of Flash, all the video decoding in a streaming flash video had to be done on the CPU whereas the audio and video decoding when played outside of Flash usually had some level of video card and sound card acceleration involved, reducing CPU need.

The most recent versions of Flash support hardware acceleration of video and audio decoding tho, although you have some minor overhead on the CPU still. Naturally though, you need a graphics chipset capable of doing the acceleration, and the very cheap models (sub-$200) usually won't be sufficent for that. Try to find a netbook with an Nvidia ION or ION 2 graphics chipset in it, those will definitely handle high def streaming video in Flash and the like.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone tell me how to get into plumbing? How do I get a trainee plumbing license for an apprenticeship? Will I need to find a trade school to start first? Can anyone recommend one in the Seattle area? I've tried google, but I can't seem to find specific answers to these questions.

Grapefist
Feb 11, 2007

*Beep Boop*
I AM a robot
*Beep Boop*
Is there a term for when a politician is trying to get reelected and purposely waits until after the campaign before attempting to pass a potentially controversial bill or anything similar to that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rapefist posted:

Is there a term for when a politician is trying to get reelected and purposely waits until after the campaign before attempting to pass a potentially controversial bill or anything similar to that?

Strategy?

Not exactly what you mean, but a lame duck is a politician who is guaranteed absolutely zero chance of another term in office regardless of voting and so has more freedom to speak up and act controversially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rapefist posted:

I'm pretty sure there isn't, which means you have the chance to invent something.

Politicians do it all the time, too.