Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
The setting and characters of Mask of the Betrayer were more interesting than vanilla NWN2 ever was, in my opinion.

Also high-level fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

rxcowboy posted:

I need a good RPG for the Xbox, I've beaten Oblivion, Borderlands, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Any suggestions?
I'm assuming you mean Western RPGs judging by that list. Try out Two Worlds. The story isn't very good, and the voice acting is pretty god awful, but the gameplay itself is pretty fun. There's also Dragon Age, though personally I didn't care much for it. I think they also ported Dark Messiah of Might and Magic to the 360, but I only played the PC version. So I don't know how well it fared in the transition.

If you don't mind a JRPG, try out Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia. Both are great games, but that's based on my "likes JRPGs" opinion.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Recommend to me a solid game review site. I'm sick of reviewers that follow the crowd and give out 10s to all of the same poo poo we've seen over and over again. I don't want to see every other zelda, GTA and mario get 10, I want an honest, shameless and brutal opinion.

For example, I loved the fact how the reviewer at 1UP took a giant poo poo on everybody's favorite Civ V, and I want more of that: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181540&p=1

Yahtzee doesn't count, he only reviews a very small subset of games out there.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've heard Eurogamer is pretty good at not kowtowing to consensus on ratings, but I don't really follow any one review site so I wouldn't really know for sure.

Yahtzee also doesn't count because, despite whatever he might think, he's not a critic.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
My friends and I have played through all of the NWN games from NWN-NWN2 and the expansions. Looking for something similar that we could play. We also played Titans Quest. Wish Dragon Age was multiplayer

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
How are those NWN games? I never really got the premise of them and was sort-of interested at one point but never pursued the interest. Anyone got a quick break down of them?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Brace posted:

How are those NWN games? I never really got the premise of them and was sort-of interested at one point but never pursued the interest. Anyone got a quick break down of them?
Honestly I think they're really clunky, generic, and boring. Especially the second one. I have tried to play them so many times and could just never get into them. This is coming from someone who's beaten Baldur's Gate 2, Torment, Arcanum, and Icewind Dale. If you're interested in NWN, play BG2; if you're interested in NWN2, play Dragon Age. The one exception is the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN2 which, while it's still clunky, has a great cast and a well-written story.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 13, 2010

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Honestly I think they're really clunky, generic, and boring. Especially the second one. I have tried to play them so many times and could just never get into them. This is coming from someone who's beaten Baldur's Gate 2, Torment, Arcanum, and Icewind Dale. If you're interested in NWN, play BG2; if you're interested in NWN2, play Dragon Age. The one exception is the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN2 which, while it's still clunky, has a great cast and a well-written story.

Felt Dragon:Age's combat was tacky, boring, slow, and just generally uninteresting. I also didn't like a lot of other things about the game, but still managed to pour about 40 hours into it.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Alkanos posted:

I think they also ported Dark Messiah of Might and Magic to the 360, but I only played the PC version. So I don't know how well it fared in the transition.
Poorly. Combat is just locking onto a target and mashing buttons. The PC version was fun because of the freedom of movement and directional attacks, neither of which translate very well in the port.

There's a demo on XBL if you're really curious/masochistic.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Poorly. Combat is just locking onto a target and mashing buttons. The PC version was fun because of the freedom of movement and directional attacks, neither of which translate very well in the port.

Well that sucks. I really loved the PC version and was kinda glad that more people were going to be able to play it thanks to the 360 port. Sadly I've only heard it mentioned a few times, so I get the feeling it was overlooked. Honestly the only problem I had with the game was that it was a bit too linear.

But man, fighting spiders and using rope arrows to explore obscure places really reminded me how awesome a new Thief game would be.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
I have had the same computer since just before HL2 came out about six years ago, only upgrading it a wee bit at the three year mark (Bioshock).

Right now I'm playing StarCraft 2 and in 1vs1 and 2vs2 it runs fine (except when it gets REALLY hectic). I don't wanna buy a new computer before there is a new killer game to justify it (even though it would be nice with a better computer for other computational needs), so I'm looking for a game in the horizon that will motivate me to buy a new computer just before it's released.
In a few weeks I'll play STALKER:Call of Pripyat, but that one isn't really taxing.

I'm already looking forward to Portal 2, HL2:EP 3 and Diablo 3. The latter of those will probably require a new computer, but who knows when Blizzard will release it (hoping for next summer). I doubt Portal 2 will make such demands but HL2:EP 3 might.
I've always loved the Civilization games, but the newest installment didn't intrigue me right off the bat during the tutorial (maybe just because my old rear end machine didn't do it justice?). I'm gonna check it out again at a friends place later, and hopefully I'll be convinced then.

What "killer game" should I be looking forward to that will fry my old rig. The games mentioned above should give an idea about what I'm in to, but just for good measure I'll add Baldur's Gate 2 to the list.

That was a lot of "I"'s and "but"'s. :)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Jarl posted:

I have had the same computer since just before HL2 came out about six years ago, only upgrading it a wee bit at the three year mark (Bioshock).

Right now I'm playing StarCraft 2 and in 1vs1 and 2vs2 it runs fine (except when it gets REALLY hectic). I don't wanna buy a new computer before there is a new killer game to justify it (even though it would be nice with a better computer for other computational needs), so I'm looking for a game in the horizon that will motivate me to buy a new computer just before it's released.
In a few weeks I'll play STALKER:Call of Pripyat, but that one isn't really taxing.

I'm already looking forward to Portal 2, HL2:EP 3 and Diablo 3. The latter of those will probably require a new computer, but who knows when Blizzard will release it (hoping for next summer). I doubt Portal 2 will make such demands but HL2:EP 3 might.
I've always loved the Civilization games, but the newest installment didn't intrigue me right off the bat during the tutorial (maybe just because my old rear end machine didn't do it justice?). I'm gonna check it out again at a friends place later, and hopefully I'll be convinced then.

What "killer game" should I be looking forward to that will fry my old rig. The games mentioned above should give an idea about what I'm in to, but just for good measure I'll add Baldur's Gate 2 to the list.

That was a lot of "I"'s and "but"'s. :)

Deux Ex: Human Revolution looks pretty awesome and from what I've heard in previews it is pretty awesome. Brink also looks like a really good game. There's also Red Faction: Armageddon and W40k Space Marine coming out.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 13, 2010

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Brace posted:

I played NWN and the expansions to death in multiplayer with a friend. It's a fantastic multiplayer experience. It doesn't bog you down too much with story and role-playing like BG1/2 would in multiplayer, but keeps a good balance. Tons of battles, which is what it should be all about.

I briefly tried NWN2 in single-player and found it to be a sub-par game in general, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are some more good simulation games that you play as a dynasty? Other then the Guild 1/2 and Rome Total War. I want a game where I start with some people, then 200 years later I'm the ruler of the world and the great great great great great grandson of my original dude.

Gameplay wise, something more like Rome Total War, Civilization and the guild rather then Starcraft or Age of Empires (Economy civilization builder vs. hope you can build a big enough ball of troops before your opponent does)
Crusader Kings sounds like a good fit. It is a Paradox game (Europa Universalis, Victoria, Hearts of Iron) in which you play a Christian ruling dynasty in medieval Europe and Middle East (1066 to... the 1300's?). Experience the joy of trying to assassinate your wife because she is infertile, while praying that your current schizophrenic ruler will kick the bucket so that his totally awesome son will take his place.

Make sure that you get the Deus Vult expansion, it fixes the game to what it should have been when it was released.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Are there any games where you can siege a castle? I don't mean a tower defense game, but something more realistic where you have to amass an army, surround a castle, attack it with catapults/trebuchets, assault a gate, use wall hooks to tear down walls, etc.

I've played a little Medieval: Total War, but the level of detail on those games consists of shooting at a generic wall until you do X points of damage and then it falls over.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SopWATh posted:

Are there any games where you can siege a castle? I don't mean a tower defense game, but something more realistic where you have to amass an army, surround a castle, attack it with catapults/trebuchets, assault a gate, use wall hooks to tear down walls, etc.

I've played a little Medieval: Total War, but the level of detail on those games consists of shooting at a generic wall until you do X points of damage and then it falls over.

In Mount & Blade, you can siege castles, though it's less about the siege itself and more about the final push over the walls. Not as in-depth as you might want.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I haven't played much of it but I'm pretty sure Stronghold and Stronghold 2 are entirely about sieging castles.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Two related things:

I'm traveling next month and looking for DS game recommendations for the trip across the country. At the moment I'm already planning on grabbing the newest Layton game. Stuff I can (relatively) easily pick up and put down is a plus. I play a lot of puzzlers on the DS, but I'm not necessarily limited to any one genre.

The second, I'm going to be gone and away from my gaming PC for upwards of a month. I'll have a laptop with me, and while it's not horrible, it's not really built for gaming either. Any great laptop-friendly recommendations? Ideally available on steam or GoG (I have a backlog from these sites, of course, but I just thought I'd ask).

Thanks!

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
For DS: Picross & Picross 3D, the Phoenix Wright games.

Laptop: Recettear, roguelikes, maybe Torchlight?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I haven't played much of it but I'm pretty sure Stronghold and Stronghold 2 are entirely about sieging castles.

On that note, pretty much the best Stronghold is Stronghold: Crusader .
It has the general mechanics that made Stronghold 1 good pretty much unchanged, but with a few neat additions.

Stronghold 2 is said to be a buggy mess, and Stronghold Legends was pretty terrible as well.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
So long story short, in a few days I'll be needing a good game that can hold my attention for at least a couple of weeks. I was thinking something along the lines of Alpha Protocall, which I liked a lot, but I've already played that game so I can't use that. Any suggestions?

Monicro fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 21, 2010

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Monicro posted:

So long story short, in a few days I'll be needing a good game that can hold my attention for at least a couple of weeks. I was thinking something along the lines of Alpha Protocall, which I liked a lot, but I've already played that game so I can't use that. Any suggestions?

Fallout: New Vegas just came out, if you don't have it already. It's made by the same developers as Alpha Protocol.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Category Fun! posted:

Fallout: New Vegas just came out, if you don't have it already. It's made by the same developers as Alpha Protocol.

For some reason I didn't really care for Fallout 3 so I was planning on passing up New Vegas, but I'll check it out, thanks.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Monicro posted:

For some reason I didn't really care for Fallout 3 so I was planning on passing up New Vegas, but I'll check it out, thanks.

It's still pretty much Fallout 3, so you might not like it, but it throws all the Bethesda blandness out the window and replaces it with Obsidian innovative goodness. If you liked Alpha Protocol, I'd still bet on you liking New Vegas.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So are there any PC multiplayer games with active communities that are actually easy to get into? Right now I'm trying to play Team Fortress 2 and Bad Company 2 and I am absolutely dreadful at both. Not only that, but the people playing are really really good. I don't have the most time in the world to "get good" and it would be nice to be able to jump in a game and contribute something to the team other than a bullet shield.

I mentioned two FPS games but I pretty much like them all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Danger Mahoney posted:

So are there any PC multiplayer games with active communities that are actually easy to get into? Right now I'm trying to play Team Fortress 2

I can't think of anything easier to get into than Team Fortress 2. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but my recommendation is to keep at it. If you want more detailed tips, don't be afraid to ask in our Team Fortress 2 thread.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I can't think of anything easier to get into than Team Fortress 2. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but my recommendation is to keep at it. If you want more detailed tips, don't be afraid to ask in our Team Fortress 2 thread.

I'm pretty sure I'm just epileptic or something because I am consistently right smack at the bottom of the scoreboard. Everyone just seems so good that it seems that I will never ever catch up - or is this the wrong way to look at it?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm just epileptic or something because I am consistently right smack at the bottom of the scoreboard. Everyone just seems so good that it seems that I will never ever catch up - or is this the wrong way to look at it?

What class are you playing? The Pyro is a good one to start with, since even if you die you've left the guy on fire, and half the time he'll be close enough to death that he'll burn out before you respawn.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

So are there any PC multiplayer games with active communities that are actually easy to get into? Right now I'm trying to play Team Fortress 2 and Bad Company 2 and I am absolutely dreadful at both. Not only that, but the people playing are really really good. I don't have the most time in the world to "get good" and it would be nice to be able to jump in a game and contribute something to the team other than a bullet shield.

I mentioned two FPS games but I pretty much like them all.

If you really can't get into TF2 now, maybe wait until the next time it has a free weekend. Then every server is flooded with idiots just like you!

Actually, thanks to Cetegory Fun!'s brief advice and someone's in the Steam thread where they were having a similar discussion, I decided to give TF2 a shot when I've only played it for an hour well over a year ago. Played as Pyro and 45 minutes later I had a positive kill death ratio.

I think there's just a misconception about these games. It's not like they've been reduced down to a core community of hardcore fans. There's tens of thousands of people who play every day with a wide range of skillsets and most people aren't pros or even going to mind that you suck. Just stop scrutinizing your every death. As a pyro, just go out there and light dudes on fire who are close, remember to repel rockets (I kept on forgetting and dieing :ohdear:) and use shotguns to finish off kills or hit longer distance targets. And most important, don't go alone, stick with your other teammates and never try to be the lone hero who rushes in. You'll do fine. This is me with my 100 minutes of TF2 experience talking, so take it with a grain of salt, but it somehow worked for me. :v:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Also, if you want to feel better about your skills, don't play on the goon servers. I can reliably top the scoreboards on the public servers, no matter the class, but I tend to be in the bottom half on goon servers.

This isn't a HEY GUYZ LOOK AT MY SKILLZ - just telling you that in my experience, there's a pretty huge divide between the public and goon servers.

Also, play on goon servers sometimes anyway because the matches are way more interesting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It helps if you just remember that yes, you will die when you play TF2. A lot. Even the "pros" die to stupid poo poo all the time. If you just have fun with it, you'll probably end up getting positive kill whatchamahiggers and whatnot in the process. Or be running around hammering everyone to death with the Powerjack because you find it funny.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Can anyone recommend me a PC combat flight sim? I have a Microsoft one from something like '99 but would like a new one - I also have a great force feedback joystick.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Could anyone recommend me a video game simulating a collectible card game? PC is slightly preferred but by no means required; I've also got a DS, a PS2, and a Wii available. The Magic game, Duels of the Planeswalkers, is a lot like what I am looking for, except that I already know how to play Magic and thus it wouldn't be fun; a lot of the appeal to me is figuring out how a system works.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Quick Scoop posted:

Can anyone recommend me a PC combat flight sim? I have a Microsoft one from something like '99 but would like a new one - I also have a great force feedback joystick.

I guess you're talking about WWII flight sims? If so, IL2 Sturmovik is the way to go, just be sure to get the '1946' version of the game.

The successor to IL2, Storm of War, is due out fairly soon I believe, you may want to hold out for that if you've got the hardware for it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quick Scoop posted:

Flaming Cliffs 2 is the latest game in the somewhat popular Lock-On series. It both looks and plays nice, a pretty good modern military flight combat sim.

edit: I'll second IL2 1946 as the king of WWII flight sims.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 23, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

nrook posted:

Could anyone recommend me a video game simulating a collectible card game? PC is slightly preferred but by no means required; I've also got a DS, a PS2, and a Wii available. The Magic game, Duels of the Planeswalkers, is a lot like what I am looking for, except that I already know how to play Magic and thus it wouldn't be fun; a lot of the appeal to me is figuring out how a system works.

Check out Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean for Gamecube. It's a fun, challenging JRPG with a CCG-inspired battle system and a customizable deck for each party member. Some fun and strange gimmicks like mid-battle item crafting (by combining cards) and cards that age and change effect with the game clock (bananas ripen and then rot, bread becomes beer).

I wouldn't recommend Baten Kaitos Origins as they removed a lot of the complexity and strategy and made it more reflex-oriented.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'm looking for a good Early Modern era RTS game. Pike and shot and that sort of thing; renaissance warfare. Playable on a netbook would be ideal, but not essential. Is there anything like this available?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Plavski posted:

I'm looking for a good Early Modern era RTS game. Pike and shot and that sort of thing; renaissance warfare. Playable on a netbook would be ideal, but not essential. Is there anything like this available?

The Cossacks series, while old, is that exactly.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

My two brothers and I used to play Guantlet Dark Legacy for the Gamecube and Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes. for the Xbox. Now, we all live accross the country, one in New York, California, and Kansas. We all own 360s, and are basically looking for a game we can play online, that reminds us of the gameplay of those games. So basically games where all three of us can play co-op online against a bunch of monsters or some other bad guys, which doesn't require much or any thought, but is fun.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fritzler posted:

My two brothers and I used to play Guantlet Dark Legacy for the Gamecube and Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes. for the Xbox. Now, we all live accross the country, one in New York, California, and Kansas. We all own 360s, and are basically looking for a game we can play online, that reminds us of the gameplay of those games. So basically games where all three of us can play co-op online against a bunch of monsters or some other bad guys, which doesn't require much or any thought, but is fun.

Thanks.

You want Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. Run around killing hordes of bad dudes as marvel comic characters. Pretty fun action RPG that's similar to Gauntlet, the older X-Men Legends games, and the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games, except this has online play.